Hands on with the SP3i!

Guest PaulOBrien

"]I'll chase your order kunst2, i'm sure it's on it's way ;-)

O thank you Paul, I really appreciate.

If it mays help the order ref is RC85692 and I asked for a delivery in France.

Guest schmeegle

The C500 joystick is about as useful as a lump of warm butter would be, up & down are good, but sideways & select are rubbish. SP3i looks pretty nice.

There, that's my 2p worth.

McHale, if you mail or phone the MoDaCo Shop, they'll sort you something out for US shipping

No. I mean. Will you ever get one that has the US frequencies on it? Most of us need 850/1900. The US-based SP3i is what I'm looking for. I can get a standard SP3i anywhere.

-Mc

"]It's definitely growing on me, i'm a bit reluctant to go back to my C500 now :(

P

I am impressed that you are now moving away from the c500, having been using the sp3i for the past month, i have had the opportunity to test the c500 when i was down in london over the weekend, and if it wasnt for the keypad guess I would have been sold :)

On another note, gone are the days when one could go down to tottenham court road and find pretty much all the gadgets you were after, instead only a few of the shops had or even heard of the sp3i though they did have the JAM and the PDK2K, anyway the few that did have it was selling it for about £310, so after bargaining with them they pretty much resorted to the £289 price level.

Found a few dana-elec SD memory cards 256Mb max (didnt find any Scan Disc) as well, however they had a rediculous price tags of £90, until questioned it dropped to £35, eventually getting them down to 29....

anyway thats me for now

rgds

jim

McHale,

This is a direct quote I received today in an email from smesolutions.co.uk  

then they should change their website. Because it states:

http://www.smesolutions.co.uk/modaco/imate.htm#SP3i

System: GSM & GPRS, triband 900/1800/1900 MHz

I don't believe that a UK company exclusively sells a phone without both UK frequencies and opted instead for both US frequencies! I'm sure they'll ship *SOMETHING* to the US (for a hefty price) but the return when it's the wrong one is going to be difficult and costly. It's not worth it. I'd rather wait until a reputable US company offers it. Too many issues when they advertise one thing and promise another in an email.

-Mc

Guest Confucious

McHale - Why don't you email the MoDoCo shop directly. They have given there answer to someone else but you chose not to believe them and slang them off here. They ARE reputable and if you don't believe so presumably you don't believe thiss forum is either?

Confirm with them, the only answers you are going to get here are from other people who do what you could do yourself. If they say they are going to ship you an 850 band phone and they don't if YOU have it in writing then you can sue them. If you rely on the fact that they told someone else that they would ship an 850 band phone to them but you couldn't be bothered to ask yourself then you can't.

Get the reassurances that you want from them or just don't buy from them. But please don't slang of a shop that we all trust based on your prejudices.

then they should change their website. Because it states:

http://www.smesolutions.co.uk/modaco/imate.htm#SP3i

System: GSM & GPRS, triband 900/1800/1900 MHz

I don't believe that a UK company exclusively sells a phone without both UK frequencies and opted instead for both US frequencies! I'm sure they'll ship *SOMETHING* to the US (for a hefty price) but the return when it's the wrong one is going to be difficult and costly. It's not worth it. I'd rather wait until a reputable US company offers it. Too many issues when they advertise one thing and promise another in an email.

-Mc

McHale, I agree with you, I'm just passing on the info I received as I received it... It doesn't make sense to me why they would have the 850 band. I sent more questions to them and these are their responses (direct quotes).

It does not come with an American adapter as it is a UK produce. Unfortunately our refund/exchange policy will not extend to products being sent to America and you maybe better off trying to buy this product locally.

O thank you Paul, I really appreciate.

If it mays help the order ref is RC85692 and I asked for a delivery in France.

Got it this morning ! Thank you Paul !

And what a beautiful little toy ! In my humble opinion, the best smartphone ever designed ! (it's my 4th smartphone after the e200, P900, and C500)

Could anybody tell me what the difference is between the SP3i and the SDA??

how are multipress issue's on both?

both have joystick's so I'm not sure which I'd choose if the oppertunity came up.

both design's ROCK!!!

Pigo

only thing that scares me with this one is the joystick problems being reported... I was going to go for this phone, now I'm having second thoughts. I'm not trying to scare or influence anyone, just sharing info I believe is important...

http://www.expansys-usa.com/forumthread.as..._SP3I&thread=62

http://www.expansys-usa.com/forumthread.as..._SP3I&thread=78

http://www.expansys-usa.com/forumthread.as..._SP3I&thread=71

http://www.expansys-usa.com/forumthread.as..._SP3I&thread=65

http://www.expansys-usa.com/forumthread.as..._SP3I&thread=46

http://www.expansys-usa.com/forumthread.as..._SP3I&thread=36

If they say they are going to ship you an 850 band phone and they don't if YOU have it in writing then you can sue them. If you rely on the fact that they told someone else that they would ship an 850 band phone to them but you couldn't be bothered to ask yourself then you can't.  

Get the reassurances that you want from them or just don't buy from them. But please don't slang of a shop that we all trust based on your prejudices.

sue them... in the UK? Surely you must be joking (or completely unaware of the impossible nature of suing someone out of country). I got ripped off on ebay and couldn't sue them because they were out of my state! For me to have sued, I'd have had to fly there and sign the complaint personally. I couldn't do it over the telephone or by fax. I'm sure it's MUCH more difficult out of the country.

My prejudices?!?!? I'm looking to buy from Modaco. I'm just looking for a straight answer, which is why I've asked Paul PUBLICLY several times because others want the US version as well. A private email doesn't help them. This is a PUBLIC forum you know and asking the main man so everyone sees the answer is the best solution. I can't believe it wasn't addressed in the first place.

My question was to Paul. He has never answered. I've asked several times. Someone else responded to my question and I commented on it. I think it sounds fishy that a UK company would sell ONLY the US version when their website clearly states it is the UK version and in another email, they told him that it does not come with a US adapter (and I'm not saying I don't believe the emails are legit). It sounds like they really don't know what they are talking about. There are other companies (and I won't name them) who will say anything to sell a phone (and even went as far as to state that the SP3i is software switchable to make it US or UK). I really don't see the point of your rant. Aren't we allowed to comment on posts directly to us anymore? Sheesh... I'm trying to support Modaco by buying from them but if Paul won't give a solid answer on whether or not a US version is available, I wouldn't suggest anyone from the US buying one. Because chances are, it's not going to be the right one and once you have it, you're screwed.

-Mc

Guest Paul [MVP]

The manual in box states 900 1800 1900 which makes sense for a phone we are selling in the UK... otherwise it wouldn't work on O2 or Vodafone.

I'll speak to the shop and ensure any inconsistencies in their sales literature are resolved.

P - about an hour away from having a Jam! :-)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I had an SP3i for a couple of weeks but in the end I returned it and got a C500 instead.

Why? Because there were a few little niggles with the phone. None of these would have put me off on their own but taking them all together I just decided I would rather have the more mainstream phone for which I could get (at least some) support from my local Orange shop.

Niggles included

- Keypad quite wasn't as good for T9 as the C500 (this is just my subjective opinion)

- Several programs wouldn't work (that I had heard did work on the C500)

- Joystick intermittently wouldn't navigate up

- People calling me sometimes got bad feedback when I was using the wired headset.

- Joystick would frequently select instead to navigating (although this did get a little better as the stick loosened up)

I'm not sure why but it also felt slightly less comfortable in my pocket than the C500.

They're both great phones. I was just lucky to get the chance to try them both out before making up my mind.

Could anybody tell me what the difference is between the SP3i and the SDA??  

how are multipress issue's on both?  

both have joystick's so I'm not sure which I'd choose if the oppertunity came up.  

both design's ROCK!!!

I have an SDA and both devices are supposed to be technically identical. However there are several games, which dont work on the SP3i, which run just fine on the SDA. (Check the games forum for details)

As Radiator already pointed out you can use both softkeys as well as # and * in conjunction with the joystick.

_Tala_

which programs doesn't work?
There were a few games and other bits and pieces. It wasn't anything major. It's just that in conjunction with the other issues I decided not to keep the phone.

it actually has windows media 10..niice!!

The one I had was running Windows Media 9. Maybe it had an earlier firmware version?

But Paul, the question, which I have now asked 5 times throughout different SP3i related threads still hasn't been answered:

Can MODACO *GET* the SP3i with the 850 instead of 900 band? If so, the largest carrier in the US can be a potential market, if not, only the smallest carrier is. We *NEED* 850 here. Can you find out if it can be ordered special if not stocked?

thanks...

-Mc

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.