::Bulletproof Guide [Almost!] to ActiveSync and Bluetooth::

Guest gaplayer26

Guest gaplayer26
Help! :o

I am really new to bluetooth... and I have just baught a bluetooth dongle... I have tried to follow your guide but I cannot find this 'Microsoft Bluetooth Driver', I downloaded the auto update it recommended but it gives me no Bluetooth icon bottom right, or anything saying my dongle is connected.

I have also tried adding my bluetooth driver which came with the dongle but that is nothing like what you show in the screenshots so I cant add a device.

I would REALLY appreciate some help with this!

Thank You,

Chris.

[EDIT]

So basically I am stuck on this first step, i cant do anything!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What version of Windows are you using and what service pack level?

The guide is written for Windows XP Service Pack 2....

What version of Windows are you using and what service pack level?

The guide is written for Windows XP Service Pack 2....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have SP2... :o Thats why I duno why it wnt work... I was also looking for the 'Microsoft Bluetooth Driver' but it recommended an update, and well its done, and if i look in installed hardware it says my bluetooth dongle is 'Running Fine' but that bluetooth icon isnt in the task menu (botom right) or well, anywhere!

Guest gaplayer26
I have SP2... :o Thats why I duno why it wnt work... I was also looking for the 'Microsoft Bluetooth Driver' but it recommended an update, and well its done, and if i look in installed hardware it says my bluetooth dongle is 'Running Fine' but that bluetooth icon isnt in the task menu (botom right) or well, anywhere!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd try the following:

- Uninstall the software that came with the Bluetooth Dongle - Reboot

- Remove all Bluetooth Devices from Device Manager - Reboot, when (if) prompted for Drivers when starting up again, do NOT use the disk the manufacturer gave you, let Windows install the software automatically.

See if this helps...

Also, check the Control Panel for the Bluetooth Icon...

I'd try the following:

- Uninstall the software that came with the Bluetooth Dongle - Reboot

- Remove all Bluetooth Devices from Device Manager - Reboot, when (if) prompted for Drivers when starting up again, do NOT use the disk the manufacturer gave you, let Windows install the software automatically.

See if this helps...

Also, check the Control Panel for the Bluetooth Icon...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did exactly what you said, and windows installed my bluetooth driver but still no bluetooth icon ANYWHERE even in control panel...

The only place I found it is device manager and there is no way of ading a new device in it... look:

bluetooth.jpg

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Guest gaplayer26
Did exactly what you said, and windows installed my bluetooth driver but still no bluetooth icon ANYWHERE even in control panel...

The only place I found it is device manager and there is no way of ading a new device in it... look:

%7Boption%7DHelp would be GREATLY appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, I think there something missing there - should be two bluetooth devices - device and enumerator (I think). Will double check when I get home as there may be a hack/fix for it....will get back to you later.

OK, I think there something missing there - should be two bluetooth devices - device and enumerator (I think).  Will double check when I get home as there may be a hack/fix for it....will get back to you later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice one, cheers for that... Will wait :o

Guest gaplayer26
Nice one, cheers for that... Will wait :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of these adapters use the same internal chip - if we are lucky (as I was), this will work:

First we need to get the DEVICEID from the currently installed bluetooth adapter:

In device manager, double click on the bluetooth adapter and click on the 'details' tab. Make a note of the 'VID_abcdefxxxxxyyyyyzzz' part in notepad - until you reach the '\' slash.

Example:

ORIGINAL = USB\VID_050D&PID_0083\5&BB7E2D6&0&1

NOTEPAD VERSION = VID_050D&PID_0083 <-- This is all you need, but yours will be different.

Now Uninistall the current device by going into device manager again, right-clicking and selecting 'uninstall' - Do NOT reboot.

Open the following file, in notepad by:

Click 'Start > Run' and type notepad c:\windows\inf\bth.inf

Search for the following line:

ALPS Integrated Bluetooth Device= BthUsb, USB\VID_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Modify the 'VID_0xxxxxxxxxxxx' part to read the same as the one you made a note of earlier

Example:

'BthUsb, USB\VID_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx' should now read 'BthUsb, USB\VID_VID_050D&PID_0083'

Save the file.

Unplug the USB adapter and plug it into a different USB port (if possible).

When prompted to install the drivers, do not connect to the Internet and let Windows automatically install them again. It should find an 'Alps adapter' and a 'Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator'.

If not, we may have to manually remove any .inf files the original setup driver installed...

See how this goes first....

Guest gaplayer26
did ALL of that, but at the end, when i installed it again, it only installed the one thing...

and in device manager it says its not working properly! :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, change the bth.inf file back or delete the reference to the Alps adapter.

Uninstall and get your original one working again (working as in, no errors).

What adapter/model is it?

OK, change the bth.inf file back or delete the reference to the Alps adapter.

Uninstall and get your original one working again (working as in, no errors).

What adapter/model is it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um what do you mean? I'm not great with computers and only 14 :o

And on the front it just says Bluetooth USB Adapter... from ebay lol but it works, 100m, bluetooth v1.2..

Guest gaplayer26
Um what do you mean? I'm not great with computers and only 14 :o

And on the front it just says Bluetooth USB Adapter... from ebay lol but it works, 100m, bluetooth v1.2..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Open the c:\windows\inf\bth.inf file and remove the chages we made to the 'Alps' section or just delete the entire line (i.e. Undo the changes we made).

Go into device manager, right click on the Alps adapter and click uninstall.

Restart the PC.

On the driver Cd that came with the adapter, does it give any more info there about the model, have a look around the cd and read any readme.txt files etc. it would be helpful to find out exactly what model we are working with, this may be a common problem....

Open the c:\windows\inf\bth.inf file and remove the chages we made to the 'Alps' section or just delete the entire line (i.e. Undo the changes we made).

Go into device manager, right click on the Alps adapter and click uninstall.

Restart the PC.

On the driver Cd that came with the adapter, does it give any more info there about the model, have a look around the cd and read any readme.txt files etc. it would be helpful to find out exactly what model we are working with, this may be a common problem....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK done it, The program on the CD is called IVT BlueSoleil 1.4.

It looks very good, got lots of stuff you can do on it... but otherthan that, i duno what to do.

By any chance do you have MSN? or is there anyway we can chat? cuz its a lot easier chatting than messaging.

Thanks.

Guest Mikenatgas

Has anyone successfully installed an a program over BT? Funny thing my SMT 5600's Usb connection seems to have gotten damaged when I went to the lake last... it the phone will Charge but will not connect (active sync) via USb plug... so I went out to get a BT dongle... Now I can sync with the PC... only one problem is when I try install prgrams via BT; Agile IM it uses an .exe run on the PC to install... when try to install any program that runs an .exe on the PC it give me this error msg, "Application Manager cannot install this application on your mobile device due to an invalid setup file. Reinstall and try again." ](*,)

So my question to everyone out there is are they able install using active syn thru BT; I'm thinking I have something setup wrong.

Thanks - Mike

Guest monkeygadge

Had a similar problem with Mpx220 and Xp using EXE file. Had to use the CAB file to install as the exe program couldn't install from the PC. The CAB file worked perfectly.

The EXE file launched from the PC a window showing the add/remove programs, and seemed to fail installing on the phone as it quickly flashed up a screen (too quick to see what it was) then returns to the homescreen. The add/remove programs window disappears from PC desktop. I launched activesync (3.8) and looked at add.remove programs and the program was listed although it had no check in the box because it had not installed on the phone but the PC regognised the program. When I selected it to install it, the same problem happenned again. The flash on the mobile screen (when it would normally ask where you wanted the program installed, phone or card), then it shut the add/remove program window down.

Hope this helps.

MG

Guest monkeygadge

Thanks to Gaplayer26 for this program it works great! :(

BUT

It'd given me a new problem!!!!

My phone (mpx220) syncs perfectly with computer, and I can go in and out of range as many times as I want :o which is great as I'm fed up with pluggin that cable in and out!!

However when I try and transfer files by copy and paste using the desktop of my computer, the bluetooth connection DROPS!

An easy way out of this is to only connect my phone using USB cable when I need to transfer files - but because the advanced connections settings require them to be bluetooth connection for BT autosync to work, the the USB connection won't work without changing these settings. Kinda defeats the purpose of using program which is a shame.

Anyone else had same problem or could help?

MG

OK! I GOT REALLY FAR! SORRY FOR CAPS BUT I'M REALLY HAPPY!!

WHAT IS MY PIN!??? AAAAH!! LOL! :( ... *enough of caps* I looked in settings and I put 1... God knows what my PC pin is! .. :|

HELP!!!

PLease! :o

Edited by Fu§ed

Um ALSO.. I have tried Pins 1 and 0... cuz i thought they were obvious like...

ANYWAY ... I am VERY badword OFF! Ok... I was further testing the sending files thing.. If i leave my room it will disconnect... AND its apparently 100m!! WHAT IS WITH THAT!?

Please someone help me before I loose my mind!

Guest gaplayer26
Um ALSO.. I have tried Pins 1 and 0... cuz i thought they were obvious like...

ANYWAY ... I am VERY badword OFF! Ok... I was further testing the sending files thing.. If i leave my room it will disconnect... AND its apparently 100m!! WHAT IS WITH THAT!?

Please someone help me before I loose my mind!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

100m will only work if both devices support it (i.e. Mobile and Adapter) which is why you are more than likely being disconnected.

Try 0168 as PIN as well...

Grr FFS still wont work.. I'veralso tried 1234 (which seemed to of worked with my mates nokia thing...) and 0000 which worked for my bro's C500... (who has successfully done it on his)

Anyway... I am gettin my C500 in 12 days... I'll try again then...

Guest Griff_FFOC

I don't know there were changes to the bluetooth with the latest C500 rom, but it seems a lot easier to setup activesync over bluetooth now.

Basically I installed my bluetooth dongle on the PC, created a bluetooth serial port, and restarted the PC

Set activesync on the PC to use that port instead of USB.

Opened up activesync on the phone and chose Setup BT activesync from the menu.

I then created one incoming com port on the phone, then paired with the PC from the Phone. Once paired, returned to the activesync on the phone choose Connect via bluetooth from the menu option and it was done.

It seemed a lot harder when I had the older rom on it for some reason. I did use the guide in this thread initially, but found I didn't need to carry out some of the steps in the guide when I reconnected after a hard reset and reinstall of my PC.

If anyone is confused or having problems, i'd still suggest following the guide though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest liquid-x

Thnx!!! You are superb!!

Cant get it 2 work for 2 months long.. Thnx 2 your guide it was fixed in a couple of minutes!! And I am still using SP 1 and a Qtek 8020.. lol.. It worked for this setup very good.. So its not only for the C500 and SP2!! :(

In 2 weeks I have my 1.0GB Mini-SD.. :o

I dont know how much I can thank you for the guide.. Keep up te good work!!

Guest Confucious
Thnx!!! You are superb!!

Cant get it 2 work for 2 months long.. Thnx 2 your guide it was fixed in a couple of minutes!! And I am still using SP 1 and a Qtek 8020.. lol.. It worked for this setup very good.. So its not only for the C500 and SP2!!  :(

In 2 weeks I have my 1.0GB Mini-SD..  :o

I dont know how much I can thank you for the guide.. Keep up te good work!!

This suprises me as built in BT support for Windows XP was only introduced with SP2. Prior to that you needed a third party BT stack. Or so I thought....

Guest Griff_FFOC

I couldn't get Windows XP Pro (sp2) to install any bluetooth devices I tried. It would pick up the device but not install any drivers/software. In the end I had to use the supplied cd and drivers that came with them.

Guest head_wall
He might be referring to the fact that you cannot edit ASync's connection properties unless a partnership already exists - a fact which just led me to saw chunks of my SPVE100 cradle to get the damn thing to connect to my e200.

You need to have connected the phone to the pc by another means (establish partnership) before you can access the connection properties to change the COM port number. Took me an hour to work it out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do I do this? I can't get into the connection settings in activesync to finish the process. Do I need to go out and buy a cable to make the partnership?