I've been charged for GPRS!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Danlance

Sorry - I got an error message about smtp server every time I posted...

I'd go back and delete 5 of them - except I can't see delete option anymore :D

Guest Danlance

I'm sorry - as I said I kept getting an error - I emailed paul about it - but suddenly when it did finally work, it seemed to appeear 6 times :D

Obviously, even thought it was generating an error - it was still recording each post :(

Guest Beagle
Despite studying a little of the law for my uni course my contract law is amatuer to say the least. do the people on the forum reckon id better phone up orange and get something concrete about what will happen before my first bill arrives or wait and see what happens because to be honest even a few meg at 8 pound a meg will probably leave me royally boned!

I appreciate any advice people are prepared to offer. When some of you say you have asked for the details to be sent to you, or copies of what the CS rep says do you do this at the beginning of the phone call or at the end?

I am a fully qualified lawyer, though please don't try and sue me for this friendly piece of advice!

The contract generally means what it says. It does seem to say that you have unlimited access and that the penalty for breaching their "fair use policy" limit of 10MB/month is a warning/being removed from the special deal.

When relying on standard terms as against a consumer, Orange will generally have to abide by the standard of reasonableness. Any unusually burdensome clause would have to be brought to your attention. I consider this would include a provision permitting Orange to charge you more than the £6/month+VAT you have agreed to - this provision is not present, let alone highlighted in the standard documentation and I certainly wasn't verbally warned of it. In those circumstances, it is unlikely that Orange could enforce such a demand if it tried.

There may be further consumer protection and advertising issues in the consumer's favour.

However - from the tone of many posts, not everyone is being charged, nor is every phone call to 156 falling on deaf ears. It seems that you would be unlucky to be charged and couldn't sort it out reasonably quickly by a chat with Orange.

If you are unlucky, I would suggest persevering for a while with Orange - it is free and a bit of obstinacy (and the odd threat of a referral to Watchdog/Oftel) can go a long way. Being calm and reasonable will help your cause.

If you do wring (pun not intended) a concession from the operator but are still worried - ask them to send details to you in writing. Make a note of the conversation as soon as you are off the phone and sign and date it (a contemporaneous note is good evidence of what was said). Get it witnessed, signed and dated if you are v concerned.

IMHO, no call for anyone suing anyone else - it will stress you out, take over your life and will cost you money in costs (v sadly no such thing as justice for this amount of money). Really not worth it for any amount you are likely to rack up in a month (unless you are a serious pervert).

Stopping you DD, or purporting to terminate the contract early is likely to see you with a bad credit score and little satisfaction - not advisable.

Personally, I am not too worried - 'IF' I am overcharged for GPRS access, a free call or two should sort things out (even if a bit irritating given the amount that I pay in contract charges each month). I would listen to an MP3 or two to calm down afterwards...

Hope this helps.

Well I have been spanking the GPRS unlimited offer. Up until I read this thread I didn't know it was not unlimited. I upgraded from Orange directly and was told that there was an extra £6 pack on my bill until April for unlimited access and the MMS was free & little else. I really can't wait to see the bill :shock:

Guest spacemonkey

I find when I get an error the post has usually happened and the error is spurious. It seems if I post to a thread that I was the last poster on I get a mail server error 111...

The message posts but the last updated on the thread doesn't get updated

Guest Paul [MVP]

OT: MoDaCo.com fell over last night I guess, they got the webserver and MySQL back up amazingly quickly, but are having a few problems getting the SMTP server up.

Don't worry about the SMTP server messages, the message still posts :D

P

Guest philgriffiths

Thanks for the advice beagle. What do you reckon about my thought on the whole warning thing? Surely they have to have actually warned you for it to count, and not just rung you then hung up if you didn't answer.

Guest smokedog

I haven't been charged extra or received a warning, my last months usage was 46mb 8)

This months usage should be over 100mb :wink: I have streamed a lot of radio and video, also signed into MSN messenger 24/7.

Guest kevlar

I just received my bill, 11.5 mb used. No charge. But what strikes me is that I have hardly overused gprs, just checking emails and a bit of surfing here and there, but the minimum it would have cost me if charged at normal rate would be £30, that's £25 for 10mb plus 2 extra megs at £2.50 each. Surely no-one is willing to pay this kind of money on top of there bill?. The only people who I think will pay for gprs are business ppl, where the company picks up the bill.

One good thing came out of receiving the bill though, it confirmed for me that I can use my free off peak minutes for data calls ( ED50 ), so it looks like when we have to pay for gprs, it will be the minimum pack ( £4 ) just to check emails, and only surf off peak with my inclusive minutes.

One last thing, I have been charged twice for gprs, once for dec 8 > jan 2nd, then again for jan 3rd > feb 2nd. I suppose this is normal?

Kevlar

Guest wideawake

Pheww.....

"B" day.

Received my Bill today.

Upgraded 17/12/2002. Was unaware of limit on "unlimited" SPV Package.

I have used 75meg. No charge. No warning on bill.

Now you may think that is a lot, but I feel I have not abused system.

2x 5 mins streaming radio.

2x 2 mins streaming video.

Approx 30 text emails download a day (most from MoDaCo automated response!) all text.

HTML browsing, approx 20 - 30 pages a day via IrDa on PC.

2 downloads (ok these were exceptional and would not be the norm) approx 10meg

I just wondered what other peoples consumtion has been?

I think mine is probably quite normal, but will have to reconsider once being charged, what £4 meg????

There is also no data itemization on my bill, just the total.

Views please......

seen my 2nd bill today....

Originating network Place called Call class Megabytes Cost

Orange Internet GPRSdata 37.4164 0.000

my 1st bill (not a FULL month only about 8 days) was...

5.6356 at 0.000

so far not been charged a penny or warned at all, altho have been charged for some calls that should be in inclusive mins.

My dad got charged £71+ for 7.1meg on his 1st bill since upgrade, rang billing and they said a supervisor would call back, so far nothing.

Guest davidhorn

Getting a 404 when you click Submit is a phpBB error. Your post will actually appear. Just assume your post was successful, as 9 times out of 10 it will be.

Guest one.ear

While agreeing with the posts regarding charging not being mentioned in the t=c's of the Promo pack, and likewise with the customers right to have these charges refunded (call up, explain, charges should be refunded next invoice, if more than 10 days before billing date), i must make a point with regards to the many posts decrying Orange.

The fact is, the Promo pack is a very good deal by any account, and if users are going to abuse the fair usage policy then i don't particularly see what all the shouting is about? The fair usage policy is included in the t+c's, and is fairly clear, so to go using 20/30/40 + mb is asking for some sort of action, i.e. removal of service. It seems to me that several posters expect something for nothing and are deliberately abusing the fair usage policy. To those complaining about not realising there was a fair usage policy, i would suggest always reading the terms and conditions of any contract or service you subscribe to.

Ben

Ok......I'm not the most computer literate girl in the world.....so after reading this particular thread, I rang Orange and asked if there was a way to check what my MB usage was. The rep told me that there wasn't a way to see....but that basically 1 MB was roughly 1600 pages of text. I asked for that figure again as it seemed very high to me...... he said "its roughly 1600 pages ...so multiply that by 10.......hope it puts your mind at rest!"....erm........not really.....prefer someone here to add THEIR understanding of it...please.... :wink:

A 50k web page isn't that easily viewable on an spv anyway.. WAP style sites are nice and viewable though.. Whats the Orange site like in terms of page size? I mainly go there and BBC lofi myself, with a dash of MSN thrown in.

"Whats the Orange site like in terms of page size? I mainly go there and BBC lofi myself, with a dash of MSN thrown in"

Using the gprs counter an average page with pictures is about 20k download and 10 K upload.. Less if you trun off pictures, but oddly that really slows the SPV down.

Anyone considered this. If the connection is poor the SPV has to resend for data more frequently and Orange bills us for that data. So the worse the connection the more orange charges us for the privilige!