Remove certification requirement from the SPV

Guest Third_of_Five

Guest spacemonkey

OK... there's good news and there's bad news...

actually there's no bad news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what I did, go into your windows directory. you will find 4 files call *.provxml

Copy these to your PC. Edit them... at the moment for my ultra ruthless approach I deleted all of the certificate information and the little bit about characteristic="security policy" out of each file. I think at the end of the day you only need to delete the bit in security policy talking about param 4119, but I'll test that a bit more tonight... gotta go to work sometime...

Right, so you are ready. Get activesynced and have open a /windows on your phone and the dir with your modified files. Leave these open. You'll notice that if you undock the phone /windows stays open but the files dissappear and when you redock the files reappear.

OK. Now do a hard reset of your phone. When finished and it's rebooting when it comes up to the blue Smartphone OS screen whack it back in the cradle and wait for activesyne (which you left open) to wake up. As soon as activesynce wakes up, ignore anything it's saying about devices and drag and drop your new files to /windows, you'll need to OK a message about file conversion and then say yes that you want to overwrite them.

Now, when you have done this, enter the SIM pin and your phone should start up and be completely unlocked. Mine works right now and I just installed that registry editor program on it successfully.

PS.. Kids do not try this at home. I can take no responsability for you wrecking your phone or allowing virus's onto Orange networks.

Guest spacemonkey

Oh, and best thing about this technique vs the french one... provisioning occurs as normal so all the orange settings are there.

One note, they could fix this is the update (maybe), also orange is able to push provisioning information to you at any time (at least the microsoft documentation says they should be able to). In /IPSM/Windows/Startup there is a program called ezPushRouter. This may relate to that so removing this from startup and rebooting may remove their ability to reconfig your phone remotely. (That last stuff is completely conjecture I have very little basis for this except similarity of names etc)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Wish i had my cradle here at work, if this works its worth a hard reset heheh. I [assume] cant activesync over IR while doing this, as it needs activesync on the phone side going.

I'll give it a blast at the weekend though :D

Not to spoil your fun, but I think that it'll be MUCH better to add your own certificate rather than mess with the security settings ... this way you cannot spread a virus (Orange is happy) and you can run your own software (the user is happy)

my 0.2 €cents :wink:

Guest spacemonkey

I agree, that's a better solution, or just unlock the unpriveleged side of the phone... the first step is to get something working... that is why I went for the totally ruthless, no certificates even on my phone approach initially.

Paul-I was doing it from Windows 2000

Anyway, a bit of an update... everything on my phone seems good except, GPRS is not going, my phone had this initially so I'll play with reconfiguring it today... also in the message tool, I can't go new message. This may well relate to my excessive approach to de-certifying the phone. This was my first occurance of Hard Resetting the phone so I'm wondering, people who did hard resets normally did you have any problem with SMS following the reset?

I'm gonna have more of a play with provxml's tonight after I've been at the pub.

Guest spacemonkey

Yep, I can but the size of registry keys etc... I'm just gonna narrow down what I'm doing to the provxml and do the process again tonight. It's pretty streamlined... I did it 4 times this morning before I got success (and had to go to work).

A couple of other things:

Of course, now it works with Embedded Visual Tools, which was my main desire... can get developing.

In activesync I found an annoyance, after hard resetting, on first activesync it asks me for a name for the phone, if I enter one I already had it won't let me, so I have to give the phone a new name every hard reset...

In activesync I found an annoyance, after hard resetting, on first activesync it asks me for a name for the phone, if I enter one I already had it won't let me, so I have to give the phone a new name every hard reset...

How about searching your Windows registery for, and deleting the old phone name?

spacemonkey, you're right about the 4119 entries in the XML files - that's all you need to remove.

I just copied the two oem_10.promxml files to my PC, removed the 4119 entries under "SecurityPolicy" (one line in each file) and put them back on the device following your instructions - it works 100% :D

I've added my own certificate using the SmartPhone SDK, connected EVC++ 3.0 and downloaded and ran the "Hello Smartphone" app.

No problem with GPRS, works OK. Haven't tried SMS.

Also, you don't have to use a new name with activesync. The trick is when your mobile device is NOT connected there is a "Delete Partnership" option in the file menu.

Just select the name of the device you want to delete using File->Mobile Device (if its not already on the right one) and then File->Delete Partnership.

Guest spacemonkey

Just to confirm... I've reconfigured all the appropriate bits... and my phone doesn't work with GPRS and Messaging apps. My guess is that the "privileged" end of the phone, ie apps that are allowed to play with the radio, isn't working. Phone calls work but this is fairly core OS stuff so probably doesn't worry about signing...

I reckon there's a line in the provxml in the securitypolocy section that talks about param="4119" I reckon deleting just that line (from both files it's in) may work....

Won't know till tonight though.

Taff already got the answer in... nice one. removing the 4119 still leaves the phone somewhat open. My understanding from the SDK is that it is a mask that says ignore policy make these people "Manager" of the phone. The default is that everyone is manager and can there for do anything to the phone. The lines in the provxml basically cut this back to only x and y privileged people are manager.

Guest spacemonkey

Doesn't mean there's many more apps available... :D mytools apparently has some bugs... at least it opens up the developer community so here's to the future.

I'm off to play an exciting game of "Registry Editor" on my SPV...

Guest Kallisti

OK, I've tried three times now, and ActiveSync doesn't seem to wake up early enough to get any files in. By the time it's woken I'm about 5 seconds away from the home screen.

1) Has anyone managed this on XP

2) How long before home screen does activesync wake up

I'm going to see if there's anything on the home screen I can modify to make it obvious that it's worked :D

Kallisti, do you have the SIM lock on? I was having the same problem, but the phone seems to process the provxml files after the PIN is input, which gives you all the time you need.

So put the SIM lock on - I think the default code is 1111.

Also, I've been able to unlock it just changing the oem provxml files.

Anyone else have any luck?

Guest spacemonkey

I had some problems this morning with timing. Activesync sometimes doesn't activate if the phones just sitting in the cradle, sometimes it picks up as the phone is put into the cradle. So try poping it in and out a bit.

Anyway, following hard reset my phone would spend about a minute on the Orange loading screen, then it goes to the blue Smartphone loading screen. On my successful run I dropped the phone in about 10secs into the blue smartphone screen and activesync woke up about 5 secs later. Ignore anything activesync is trying to tell you and just drop the files at it's /Windows folder (which you had open already didn't you). The files had copied by the time the PIN request had come up.

There isn't much timing to play with unfortunately because I don't think it's waiting on pin to process the provisioning, this is different from the french version where they could leave it at the pin screen indefinitely and it would process.

Persevere... it'll happen. I'll grab my stop watch tonight and try to give you some better timings.

Guest paulcaley

I have the SIM lock on and it doesnt seem to work, although I maybe a complete spanner! :? I copy the files over, then enter my SIM code, which is what I set it to in the security options!

Help gratefully received!

Paul