Remove certification requirement from the SPV

Guest Third_of_Five

right i agree it would be great if someone could post a Step by step guide with the provxml files to download, i might be tempted to do a hard reset if i know i wont f*ck anything in the process! ;)

Guest Kallisti

OK, I take no responsibilty for what this does to your phone. It probably breaks it in fact. Almost certainly Orange will follow up by breaking down your door and confiscating those members of your family that you are quite fond of. Maybe the family pets..

***** BACKUP EVERYTHING FIRST. NOTHING WILL REMAIN ON YOUR PHONE MEMORY AFTER THIS PROCESS OTHER THAN THE BASIC, OUT OF THE BOX ORANGE FILES ******

1) Remove SD card (speeds some bits up not having it)

2) Make sure you've got an activesync partnership running

3) Open a Windows Explorer window to Mobile Device/My Smartphone/Windows, and leave it there

4) Copy out mxicold_oem10.provxml and mxi_oem10.provxml

5) Edit BOTH of these two files as follows:

5a) Remove the SecurityPolicy section from both

5b) Instead insert:

5c) Change the name of the first browserfavourite subtly (this will be used later to confirm that you've managed to get the file in on time...

6) Open a second explorer window looking at the copies that you've just edited (stored on your own PC harddrive)

7) Power down the SPV

8) Hold the Record button down while powering up the SPV

9) Press and hold the Action (joystick middle button) button as instructed

10) press 8 to erase IPSM data

11) Once it's finished doing that (takes a while), it will say PASSED. Left twice and choose 3 to close the diags..

12) On the three colour Canary screen, hold the power button down. This will re-start the phone with the orange sunset

13) Arrange the two explorer windows and the activesync window on screen so you can see them all

14) Once you're into the blue smartphone logo screen, wait a few seconds and put the phone in it's cradle.

15) Activesync should see the phone after about 20 seconds. Once it's made it's connection, copy the two PROVXML files into the /windows explorer window you had open

16) Wait a while

17) Go into Internet Explorer and see if the favourite link is as you changed it. If none of the orange ones are there at all, go back to the home screen and wait longer and repeat.

18) If it's not worked, start again. Do remember to give it time to run though..

Good luck, and lets hope this means that Orange decide to drop the stupid signing (once they see the great apps that start flying around), and get a new copy of the OS out to fix this hole that probably also allows less desireable things to be changed!

Guest spacemonkey

So you got yours going Kallisti?

If Orange ever gives us a ROM update I'm sure as heck gonna backup my current ROM in case they close this hole. To be honest, access to a phone I can develope on is more important than any bug fixes they may give me. Of course if I can have bug fixes and still do this cheat then I'll be double happy.

would a hard reset not put the phone back to pre update? therefore if the hole was close doing a hard rreset would open it again? or am i showing my lack of knowledge?

Guest Kallisti

Yeah, spacemonkey, I did get it working. I suspect I was just being too impatient before. It seems to run the mixp_oem10.provxml very last, well after it's loaded the home screen. A good way of seeing if it's loaded that yet is to check if the orange links have been added in favourites.

Anyway, hopefully before the end of the week, I'll release my first little app ;) Gonna spend half today restoring all my config/home screen/re-ordering of menus etc :lol:

BTW, yzbob, a hard reset will bring it back to whatever ROM is stored in the phone's EEPROM. Which means that if they replace that with a new version, they'll be able to remove this hole (which is basically that the phone starts activesync WAY too early, to be honest, I think that's just MS making sure that if any operator WAS dumb enough to want to force signing that this work around would be found soon after...)

Guest spacemonkey

When Orange releases a ROM update then hard resseting after that will take it back to post update cos it will update the permanent ROM.

Good work Kallisti on the step by step, also thanks for the hint on favourites as a way of confirming the run.

I also spent some time today getting my settings all back but alas I still have my wrecked certificates from this mornings experiment so gotta start from scratch when I get home.

PS... damn Kallisti, I'm sure you edited that when I was still typing up my reply. I'm also starting to play with apps... found a library www.GAPIDraw.com which is a high(ish) level graphics library for all Win CE and Smartphone devices for writting games. gonna see how that goes.

Erm... So what exactly needs to be backed up?? Say I do Orange Backup - that's:

-contacts

-calendar

-my docs

-sim data

Then I backup profiles by copying the flder ipsmwindowsprofiles (?) and then I save my???? Do MMS and GPRS settings reset as well?

What happens with All-Explorer? Do i reactivate i using the same code?

Guest spacemonkey

Yes apps do need to be written but some Win CE/Pocket PC apps should be relatively simple to port.

Basically Smartphone is missing some controls and doesn't have a stylus, additionally MFC which is some Microsoft automatic code buildy thing (I think) isn't supported for Smartphone. So any Win CE app that doesn't require any of these should be a simple recompile at most (maybe some config tweaks).

Other CE apps might need to be adjusted to better use the SPV control keys and not look for stylus etc.

But the big difference is that the casual home and freeware community can now get behind this phone. You can grab yourself some GPL CE code and get it working and give it away.

Or you can write your own game etc without having to try and get Orange to provide you with a developer phone which unless you are a big company seems to be impossible at the moment.

This is just the start, it enables us to get to work, it's not a magic provider of all things you want.

Madukranian - you will probably need to reinstall all your apps such as All-Explorer. The same unlock code should work but if it doesn't just activate it again with the same details as when you bought it and you should be fine.

If someone manages to get the Flash plugin loaded on thier phone let me know cause I won't be able to try the disable cert thing until I get home.

If we can get Flash on this phone, I'm going content crazy, I have the templates already designed. (ohh dear I think I have wet meself with excitement at the thought of having another platform to release my artistic content on :lol: ;) )

you will probably need to reinstall all your apps such as All-Explorer. The same unlock code should work but if it doesn't just activate it again with the same details as when you bought it and you should be fine.

all explorer is free no? i never had to buy mine it came with the phone.