Does your phone have the HTC-Soundbug?

Guest bazzo

Guest celica1.8st

I played the file on my c500, I couldn't hear a thing until the tss, which came approx every 16 seconds.

I have good hearing am only 22 but only heard silence until the tss, I was worried cause you said you should be able to hear the sound before the tss, so I got 7 other people at work to listen and nobody could hear anything until the tss.

So is that another fault with my phone?? :roll:

Guest spark9990
So is that another fault with my phone?? :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The sound file was a means of testing if there is a fault with your phone. You should only hear silence. But because of the fault you might get a tss sound. If you dont get the Tss sound then there is no fault with your phone.

Guest celica1.8st
hmmm, now im surprised.

perhaps you could post you devices serial-number and your rom-version.

if you heard silence there must be something wrong, 17640Hz should be still audible to an healthy young ear. how old are you? are you abled to record your mobiles output to your computer?

regards bazzo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The sound file was a means of testing if there is a fault with your phone.  You should only hear silence.  But because of the fault you might get a tss sound.  If you dont get the Tss sound then there is no fault with your phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bazzo's quote above shows that 17640Hz should still be audible to a healthy young ear. Nobody can hear it on my phone!

But I do get the Tss every 16 seconds

Bazzo's quote above shows that 17640Hz should still be audible to a healthy young ear. Nobody can hear it on my phone!

But I do get the Tss every 16 seconds

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, sry to say it should be audible is overstated. Its more an unlocatable unpleasant pressure on your ears. At least in my case.

The human ear is supposed to sense tones up to 22kHz.

dont forget, that the tone has a level of only -17dB and the speakers frequency response shouldn't be the best in these bands.

regards bazzo

Guest celica1.8st

Ok, that probably explains it, we are in an office here, and there are various high pitch noises, from fans, printers, computers etc so propably just couldn't tell with all them!

It still doesn't show if it is on both audio channels though! I still swear that it only happens on the left audio channel when using headphones. When playing most of my music I can rarely even notice it, but on a couple of songs I can but only ever on the left ear peice and only when I have the volume on full or 2nd to full. I have listened to the same songs over and over and it always appears in the left ear peice (i have tried putting them in the wrong ears and it switches as well)

Any ideas about that Bazzo?

Also is it safe to use that file with the earpeices? I didn't fancy trying it!

Edited by celica1.8st

the level of the noise depends on the level of the music, on each channel independet from the other. perhaps try this. if you use the beta player, turn off stereo. now the noise should be on both channels with same level.

have you tried to change the earpieces? letf->right right->left?

but at first i had the same impression, may be cause of the noise appears first on left channel. pehaps you try subliminal to concentrate on the left channel and miss it on the right. only an idea. i only noticed that its on both channels with same level while testing.

Also is it safe to use that file with the earpeices? I didn't fancy trying it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't adjure, but i think if you start with low-volume and increase carefully its ok. but you do this on your own risk. maybe the tsss gets really loud...

please be careful..

regards bazzo

Guest moosery

C500 - yes, it has the soundbug. No, it doesn't bother me.

Then again, I had read about the sound bug before buying the phone - and still bought it. I figured I could use my mpx200 to play sounds with (since I have invested in a 1G sd card..not miniSD card :oops: )

I can't hear the sound during normal music, and I'd know, I'm an audiophile and I build my own amps and speaker systems...

So now I'm buying a miniSD to play music off...

But the sound - it's defo there in the sample audio file, yes. 17 seconds. And quite loud too.

:lol:

hi,

i think in future you will be hearing the sound when listening music too. once noticed and you'll get more and more sensitiv to this noise everytime you recognise it. Meanwhile I started to hear it when listening music in streetcar, with open earplugs and i wouldn't call myself an audiophile.

regards bazzo

Edited by bazzo

Guest moosery

bazzo - I know exactly what you mean, I've had similar situations before.

I can only assume that the problem is louder on some phones than others. Because I really can't hear it over the music at all, even when straining to hear it. I suppose I'm lucky!

I assume that something like this would be possible due to natural variations in the properties of the electrical components or something? Obviously it's been proven that the problem exists in all phones of the affected models, I dont doubt that at all.

But as I've found when doing my own work, something as simple as the variations in the electrical properties of two diodes with the same serial number on can have a big impact (yes it happened once..took bloody ages to figure out)

might explain the reason why different people have different 'annoyance' levels - just a thought!

Guest celica1.8st

I got chance to test my wifes c500 yesterday whilst swapping cards around. Hers still has the problem when I play the frequency fileyou uploaded, but I can't hear it any songs (the same ones as I played on mine becasue it's the same memory card) I made sure the volume was the same and then tried it back on mine where I could hear the tsst noise.

So I think the severity of it does vary.

Also I posted before about it being in the left ear piece and not noticeable in the right ear peice (even if I swapped ears) Well it comes in the left ear piece a fraction of a second before the right so you notice that one, it sort of echos in the right ear peice.

Hope this info helps

Perhaps it is possible, that the bug has different appearances on different devices. but i dont belive so. I assume, that all devices producing this noise, do it the same way. So if I'm right, there shouldn't be any differences. But if you trust your ears more than me :lol:, simply redo my tests on your own device with your own PC. Im really interested in you results.

regards bazzo

...and dont forget, the noise always appears at different positions in a song. the 16,80s stay constant, but the position is never se same. So, there are always different spectra in music while the noise is produced. Thats why the noise vary in its appearance when playing a song for more times. I still assume, that there are no differences between devices, but i may be wrong.

I assume that something like this would be possible due to natural variations in the properties of the electrical components or something? Obviously it's been proven that the problem exists in all phones of the affected models, I dont doubt that at all.

But as I've found when doing my own work, something as simple as the variations in the electrical properties of two diodes with the same serial number on can have a big impact (yes it happened once..took bloody ages to figure out)

that would be a possible reason if the amp would be buggy, but i think this bug is digitally produced.

Edited by bazzo

Guest celica1.8st

I will try and setup the same test as you did, and I will test both phones, hopefully it will show you that it is different - I spent about half an hour last night listening to the same song over and over on the two different phones (same earphones) and everytime I heard it on mine, but I never heard it on my wifes. I presume it is still there just not as noticeable??

I'll have a look through your other post - I think you listed everything I needed in your other post. If not can you reply here with what software etc I need?

Cheers

I'll have a look through your other post - I think you listed everything I needed in your other post. If not can you reply here with what software etc I need?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think you'll find everything you need in the first post. If there are any questions, PM me for my ICQ-UIN.

I think it would be enough if you redo tests 2,3 and 5.

regards bazzo

Edited by bazzo

Guest celica1.8st

great - just got to find an adpater so i can plug it into my pc soundcard. I presume it is just a 2.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo? Is there anything fancy because of the answer button on the original headset?

I have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter lying around somewhere

Guest moosery

errrkk....I've seen this a couple times on here and have yet to check my facts, but!

it's a 4 connector, not a 3. The extra one is for the mic. Same spec as the XDA, I got mine from..

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=PPCPADPT01

what I'm not sure about is if you stick a standard 2.5mm 3 connector in. Potentially you could be shorting the mic across to another line. Several people seem to have done this though, without any troubles..

Guest Liquidice

I send this mail to qtek!

[sWE]

Jag har upptäckt att det kommer ett konstigt "tss" ljud (regelbundet) när

jag spelar upp ljud filer.

Vet ni vad det kan bero på? Går det att fixa med någon mjukvara eller måste

varan skickas in på service?

[ENG]

I have noticed a strange "tss" sound (regular) when i play sound files. do you know why i get this? Can it be fixed by a software or do i have to send it on to you?

And got this!

[sWE]

Hej!

Du kan ju prova att uppdatera telefonen med mjukvaran som ligger på Qtek.seJag har inte själv märkt något "tss"-ljud vid uppspelning av ljudfiler.

[ENG]

You can update the phone with the software on Qtek.se. i havent noticed any "tss"- sound myself.

^LIAR :exclaim: :?: ^

btw, i've got latest qtek 8010 rom...

Edited by Liquidice

I send this mail to qtek!

You can update the phone with the software on Qtek.se. i havent noticed any "tss"- sound myself.

^LIAR :exclaim:  :?: ^

btw, i've got latest qtek 8010 rom...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...just send him a link to my analysis, (pinned in this forum).

regards bazzo

Edited by bazzo

I used a selfmade adaptor. I cut off the 3-contact-2,5mm-gold-jack from a SAGEM earphone i found at ebay for 1€. and soldered it to a 3,5mm-femalejack. Works fine! My device seems to notice, that there is no mic on my headset, and turns on the internal mic. So i dont have to take out the earplugs to make a call.

regards bazzo

Do you think a bog standard 2.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo converter will work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just try, in the worst case it doesnt work, if the noise disappears with the adaptor, i'll pay 50$ for it;) :lol:

Guest conflagrare

@#(*&$@#$ I was very close to saying that magically my phone doesn't have it...

but yet it does....

I don't have a mini-SD (considering myself very lucky that I didn't invest in one). so my space is limited. I compressed the .wav file to .wma at CBR 96kbps, put it on the phone, and I couldn't hear a thing... then, I thought it may be the encoding that got it...

so I went back, encoded again to mp3 at 340kbps, and put it on the phone again... sure enough, the noise is there...

I then went back and used my makeshift spectrum analyzer (Windows Media Player with visualization "Hot Spray" and sure enough, it was the wma conversion that took out the 17kHz sine wave...

Anyways, enough blabber... conclusion... yes, I do have it.