Orange SPV C500 Dust issue: UPDATE

Guest stevewooding

Guest sgannon

I know we've all learnt to live with the C500's dust feature now, but this info may be of use to some of you.

Just got my phone back from its second visit to HTC for a hoovering. I was informed that their new fix is to fit a new cover to the phone, which should stop the dust. Now I don't believe for a minute that this will stop the dust, but my scratched cover has been replaced with a brand new one and they've even fitted a new keypad (the paint was wearing off the joypad on the old one).

I'll let you know how the dust goes but at the moment I'm just happy to have an unscratched C500! ;)

Guest chucky.egg

I got mine back about 3 weeks ago now, and not a single spec of dust so far, and I'm not doing anything different.

Maybe, just maybe, they've fixed it!

Whoo hoo! Our luck must be changing!

[lightning bolt hits chucky.egg and kills him]

Guest Dr Who
I got mine back about 3 weeks ago now, and not a single spec of dust so far, and I'm not doing anything different.

Maybe, just maybe, they've fixed it!

Whoo hoo!  Our luck must be changing!

[lightning bolt hits chucky.egg and kills him]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have finally managed to convince OCS that the dust problem on my phone was SO severe that it no longer constituted a 'cosmetic' problem. Not being able to read anything on the top half of the display without the back light being on and not at all in sunlight is, IMHO, a functional issue. I have my new dust free phone sitting in front of me having been delivered 1 hour ago. I've lost my USB-mini cable at the moment tho :-(

Guest sgannon

I'm still not convinced the dust problem is fixed, but this is my 6th dust free day which is a new personal best!

Has anyone had a C500 replaced/fixed by HTC or Orange in the last month and still have a dust problem?

Guest gingerninja

I sent my phone bact to htc for the 4th time, told them i didnot want to be without a phone again so they lent me a crappy siemens. After 2 weeks i called them and was told they were still waiting for it to come back from Taiwan? Anyway phone arived a week later with latest rom 4.2.1.1 Tom tom 4 worked first time ;) There was also an invoice from htc taiwan stating replacement unit, list price $199.95 cost f.o.c.

edit.. Dust free for 6 days

Edited by gingerninja

Guest BanziBarn
edit..  Dust free for 6 days

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds promising. I’m going to want to hear more stories like this before I send mine back though.

Guest mikey86uk
Sounds promising.  I’m going to want to hear more stories like this before I send mine back though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how long till the dust problem comes along ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daSmirnov

Those people that have recently had them sent back to HTC are they still dust free?

I've just mine just over a month now, with 2 or 3 specs of dust inside, my other half sent her's back a few of weeks ago, got it back alast week and has a spec of dust inside.

But her's came back with the 4.1 whatever ROM (WMP9) rather then the 4.2.1.1 what some people have been saying.

Edited by daSmirnov

Guest chucky.egg

Had mine back 6 weeks and just noticed a few specks in the bottom corners

Funnily enough it had been going fine until I read this thread the other day

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sikhcentral

Hi I need help with my C500 as the dust build up is just really obscuring the screen and basically blocking the screen completely in direct sunlight, almost rendering it useless. I bought my C500 from www.mobiledealer.co.uk. I want some advice on what to do to get the problem fixed (temporally cleaned). Should I get the phone fixed (temporally cleaned) under the warranty by HTC directly or phone orange to get them to sort something out. I've had the phone since march and I phoned orange before but they just said that they cant do anything about it sorry bye! If I should get it done via HTC whats the process like can someone tell me it step by step.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!! :)

Guest Dr Who
Hi I need help with my C500 as the dust build up is just really obscuring the screen and basically blocking the screen completely in direct sunlight, almost rendering it useless. I bought my C500 from www.mobiledealer.co.uk. I want some advice on what to do to get the problem fixed (temporally cleaned). Should I get the phone fixed (temporally cleaned) under the warranty by HTC directly or phone orange to get them to sort something out. I've had the phone since march and I phoned orange before but they just said that they cant do anything about it sorry bye! If  I should get it done via HTC whats the process like can someone tell me it step by step.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have Orange Care I would push to get it swapped under the terms of that. I phoned three of four times and each time got told, "No", although towards the end they said they would swap it but if it wasn't THAT bad then i would be charged. i wondered what qualified THAT bad so I went into an Orange shop and had one of the bods in the shop phone Orange CS and confirm that the problem was BAD. Try picking a quiet shop/go at a quiet time.

Guest sikhcentral
If you have Orange Care I would push to get it swapped under the terms of that. I phoned three of four times and each time got told, "No", although towards the end they said they would swap it but if it wasn't THAT bad then i would be charged. i wondered what qualified THAT bad so I went into an Orange shop and had one of the bods in the shop phone Orange CS and confirm that the problem was BAD. Try picking a quiet shop/go at a quiet time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that but the only orange shop that i know of is in the Bullring and i think thats always busy but i might try that out still if i get the time. cheers :)

yeh I had this issue recently after looking and listening about it at work from my colleagues with their company phones (all SPV C500)

got mines replaced :)

Guest DJBenson

Finally going to send mine away today as it really is on it's last legs. Current issues include:

1) Masses of dust

2) Broken joypad. Left button does not work and enter is on it's way out too

3) Faulty headphone socket - sometimes after using the headphones, after unplugging them the phone is still muted in headphone profile and requires headphones plugging in and "wiggling" to get the sound back on

4) Faulty microphone - I am unable to make voice calls at present because the person I call cannot hear what I am saying. Tried with 2 different SIMs so it's not a network problem.

I was going to get the SPV M500 but I might not bother if this is the quality of HTC products :)