Orange SPV C500 Dust issue: UPDATE

Guest stevewooding

Guest William Shatners Wig

After phoning Orange several times, and OneStopPhoneShop, both denied any knowledge of this problem at all. I then got Orange to give me HTC Europe's (the guy's who made the phone) telephone number, to see what they knew...

As soon as I mentioned the magic words "C500" and "dust" the chap knew exactly what I was talking about, and I have been emailed precise instructions regarding returning my phone to them to be swapped for a new 3rd Generation model.

The phone number for HTC Europe is (08712) 230217.

I hope that this is of help to you guys.

Guest Full Tense
After phoning Orange several times, and OneStopPhoneShop, both denied any knowledge of this problem at all. I then got Orange to give me HTC Europe's (the guy's who made the phone) telephone number, to see what they knew...

As soon as I mentioned the magic words "C500" and "dust" the chap knew exactly what I was talking about, and I have been emailed precise instructions regarding returning my phone to them to be swapped for a new 3rd Generation model.

The phone number for HTC Europe is (08712) 230217.

I hope that this is of help to you guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. Have had my phone now for 2 weeks, and some little specs of dust got under the screen even before I took it out with me, and despite it being in a case. It isn't too bad right now, but I can see it getting worse over time. May need to give them a ring in a few weeks.

Guest bronksy

Right so.. what the heads up from Orange? Have they actually fixed the dust issue yet or are they still sending out useless replacements.

I wanna wait for them to sort it.

Do HTC send you a new phone , or replace the screen in yours..do you have to inform Orange?

I pay loads per month to Orange, i don't see why I have to put myself out to sort this....

Useless bag of pants.

Guest alexwils
Right so.. what the heads up from Orange? Have they actually fixed the dust issue yet or are they still sending out useless replacements.

I wanna wait for them to sort it.

Do HTC send you a new phone , or replace the screen in yours..do you have to inform Orange?

I pay loads per month to Orange, i don't see why I have to put myself out to sort this....

Useless bag of pants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to let you know that I've just phoned HTC and they were very helpful. I got the impression that he'd been getting quite a few calls regarding this in the last few days...

They aim to have your phone back in 5 days and I gather from what he said that they modify your old phone to correct the problem. They're based in Milton Keynes so you could probably pop in if you're nearby.

In fairness, I don't care who fixes my phone as long as I don't have to pay for it and it fixes the problem.

Guest stevewooding

Ok - here's the skinny!

Orange contacted me today (nearly a week late I admit, but at least they did). Their engineers and the HTC guys have come up with a modification to the design that means the dust issue should (!?) be resolved - all new handsets will be made using this (the '3rd generation' for want of a better description). :D

More immediately relevant IMHO is that they've listened to our opinions as voiced in the online petition and have now changed their fault diagnosis system so that the screen dust problem is now classified as a genuine fault :D :D :( so that if you have the problem they will courier you a replacement within 24 hours of you contacting customer support (dial 150 on your dusty c500!)

As it'll take a while for the 3rd gen handset to get out if you buy a brand new handset it'll be the 2nd gen for a while. However all replacements should (!?) be the 3rd gen ones.

Let me know how y'all get on in having yours replaced (assuming you've not invalidated the warranty by opening your phone innards up!) ;)

Steve

Edited by stevewooding

Guest mavisdavis
Ok - here's the skinny!

Orange contacted me today (nearly a week late I admit, but at least they did). Their engineers and the HTC guys have come up with a modification to the design that means the dust issue should (!?) be resolved - all new handsets will be made using this (the '3rd generation' for want of a better description).  :D

More immediately relevant IMHO is that they've listened to our opinions as voiced in the online petition and have now changed their fault diagnosis system so that the screen dust problem is now classified as a genuine fault  :D  :D  :(  so that if you have the problem they will courier you a replacement within 24 hours of you contacting customer support (dial 150 on your dusty c500!)

As it'll take a while for the 3rd gen handset to get out if you buy a brand new handset it'll be the 2nd gen for a while. However all replacements should (!?) be the 3rd gen ones.

Let me know how y'all get on in having yours replaced (assuming you've not invalidated the warranty by opening your phone innards up!)  ;)

Steve

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice one Steve,

Mine has be gathering dust for about 2wks now and Ive only really noticed it now Ive lost my Krussel case and have to look at my shiney screen but layered in dust underneath. I'll call em tonight :D

Guest alexwils
Ok - here's the skinny!

Orange contacted me today (nearly a week late I admit, but at least they did). Their engineers and the HTC guys have come up with a modification to the design that means the dust issue should (!?) be resolved - all new handsets will be made using this (the '3rd generation' for want of a better description).  :D

More immediately relevant IMHO is that they've listened to our opinions as voiced in the online petition and have now changed their fault diagnosis system so that the screen dust problem is now classified as a genuine fault  :D  :D  :(  so that if you have the problem they will courier you a replacement within 24 hours of you contacting customer support (dial 150 on your dusty c500!)

Let me know how y'all get on in having yours replaced (assuming you've not invalidated the warranty by opening your phone innards up!)  ;)

Steve

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just called Orange (on hold for 30 mins) and they knew nothing of this change of fault diagnosis system. He said that if I had Orange care he would send one out, otherwise the warranty was with HTC, not them so as such I had to contact them instead. He basically cited the old 'its a cosmetic problem' rubbish so it looks like I'm sending my phone back to HTC and am going to have to be without for 5 days or so.

Guest bronksy

Just a thought. I thought that the replacement handsets come from local(ish) depots that are TNT owned.. or whoever the courier is now..

Surely they can't get the updated 'fixed' handsets out THAT quickly?

Or am I wrong and the handsets all come from Banbury or wherever. There's no point in nagging at O for a new handset if the new ones are not in circulation...

BUT.. if they ARE ready for dispatch and there's still an issue with dust being a 'real' fault, then perhaps my screen has broken or there is an echo or something that the fault ssytem will diagnose as a fault. If you know what I mean?

I don't know wether to go for it or wait to see the results of everyone elses attampts.

Personally I think the fault will be there for about 6 months with the O handsets that are in the replacement pool.

Guest stevewooding
Just a thought. I thought that the replacement handsets come from local(ish) depots that are TNT owned.. or whoever the courier is now..

Surely they can't get the updated 'fixed' handsets out THAT quickly?

Or am I wrong and the handsets all come from Banbury or wherever. There's no point in nagging at O for a new handset if the new ones are not in circulation...

BUT.. if they ARE ready for dispatch and there's still an issue with dust being a 'real' fault, then perhaps my screen has broken or there is an echo or something that the fault ssytem will diagnose as a fault. If you know what I mean?

I don't know wether to go for it or wait to see the results of everyone elses attampts.

Personally I think the fault will be there for about 6 months with the O handsets that are in the replacement pool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep - you're probably right about the 'fixed' handsets taking some time to filter through the system. Not sure about local couriers holding large stocks of handsets though?

And the screen dust issue is now classified as a fault warranting replacement (so no need to 'engineer' another fault like broken screens or echoes).

I'll probably leave it a few weeks before calling for another replacement, just to give the system time.

Oh, and I got the impression that existing customers with SPV C500s were going to hear personally from Orange in the next week or so too.

Steve

Guest stevewooding

'Fraid so - I had a silver one as my second handset (on no. 4 now!) and it had the dust problem. Was 2nd gen I think so wasn't as bad, but the call and end-call buttons stopped working so I got a replacement.

Steve.

Guest mavisdavis
i think that they should upgrade us to the C550 or whatever it will be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be lovely bronksy but can you imagne how much dust there would be if we left them untill July time :shock:

I'll get a replacement in a month or so. Its not bothering me too much now Ive found my Krussel case again. :D

Guest DJBenson

Is it Orange dealing with the replacements or HTC themselves? I ask because I (and many others) have paid to have the handset network unlocked which would be a pain in the ass if it came back locked again.

I guess if it's HTC sending out replacements they will not be network locked or branded but that's only speculation.

The screen on my C500 is really dusty and it's only 3 months old.

Are Orange acknowledging the dust "fault" yet on their systems?

Guest merguez

my c500 is only 3 weeks old and is really dusty too. dust is located all the bottom of the screen an the left-hand top corner :D

Guest stevewooding

If you have a 3rd gen handset, then the dust issue ideally should not happen. Having said that, I'm not holding out too much hope. Chances of you having a 3rd gen handset are very slim at the moment as HTC and Orange have only just made the modifications and there are probalby thousands of 1st and 2nd gen handsets already in the supply chain, just waiting to be snapped up, then angrily returned for replacements!

Steve.

Edited by stevewooding

Guest stevewooding
Is it Orange dealing with the replacements or HTC themselves? I ask because I (and many others) have paid to have the handset network unlocked which would be a pain in the ass if it came back locked again.

I guess if it's HTC sending out replacements they will not be network locked or branded but that's only speculation.

The screen on my C500 is really dusty and it's only 3 months old.

Are Orange acknowledging the dust "fault" yet on their systems?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orange is doing the replacement by courier, not HTC. HTC will still service your phone if you want, with a £15 fee and a week or more wait (though most people on Modaco who've used it say 5 days is about average).

So, if you ask Orange for a REPLACEMENT you will NOT get your old handset back (so, if it's already unlocked, the new one will be locked).

If you send it to HTC they will service your EXISTING handset, so anything modifications like unlocking etc. will (should?) still be there.

Steve.

Edited by stevewooding

Guest clw_5000

hi,

my c500 also has a dust problem. i want to clean it but dont want to brake it could anybody please tell me how to remove the front cover?

Guest alexwils
Orange is doing the replacement by courier, not HTC. HTC will still service your phone if you want, with a £15 fee and a week or more wait (though most people on Modaco who've used it say 5 days is about average).

So, if you ask Orange for a REPLACEMENT you will NOT get your old handset back (so, if it's already unlocked, the new one will be locked).

If you send it to HTC they will service your EXISTING handset, so anything modifications like unlocking etc. will (should?) still be there.

Steve.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HTC will fix it for free - its a warranty claim. Call 08712230217

Guest MonkeyBum

hey there,

just a few questions. is this dust problem fix tried and tested now? because ive been holding back getting one before because of this problem?

and if it is tested and works, will the handsets in the orange shop now been replaced with the 3rd gen lot? because im thinking of getting one soon.

thanks

adam

Guest stevewooding

As I said in a previous post, Orange shops will have old stock already in - they don't tend to do JIT (just in time) supplying AFAIK. This back stock will be 1st & 2nd gen handsets (I suspect mostly 2nd gen now) so I reckon wherever you go to get one for the next month or two (maybe more..?) you'll NOT get a 3rd gen. You're more likely to get one of them (again just a suspicion) if you have a handset and call for a replacement.

Whichever way you go, chances are it'll take a while to get a 3rd gen handset.

However, if you send your phone back to HTC (with the attendent wait) they'll service your handset and modify it to 3rd gen standards so in theory it shouldn't happen again.

Steve.

Edited by stevewooding

Guest Confused Stu

Steve - I just want to say "WELL DONE" again. I can't believe you've managed to get Orange and HTC to take this seriously, and how much better you've managed to do than anyone else.

If Paul or anyone else important reads my little post - could we please change Steve's rating from "Newbie" to something appropriate "MIRACLE WORKER", or "DEMI-GOD" maybe?

:D

Guest stevewooding

Wow - this is all very flattering but I just used a well known principle in customer relationships - there's power in numbers. It's simply a matter of critical mass - as long as any customer believes they are essentially alone in their complaints, they can feel isolated and a midset of "I'll put up with it" can set in, and as long as a supplier can keep the customer believing that (either deliberately or just as a side-effect of their systems in this case) they don't have to do anything about it.

However, when a large number of customers realise they have a similar issue - that they're not a tiny minority - that mindset can change quite dramatically. Add to the mix a public method of airing those grievances (i.e. the online petition, which now has 216 signatures BTW) which the supplier is made aware of, then the supplier suddenly has not just a large number of customer complaints, but a PR issue too.

I simply found every orange email address I could and sent them an email pointing them to the relevant Modaco forum discussions and the online petition, and every time the number of signatures reached a significant number (30, 50, 100 I think) sent them another email announcing it. They called me inside a week.

This isn't the first time I've done something like this, and I guess it won't be the last either.

Steve

Edited by stevewooding

Guest whitty

Sent mine in the post this morning to HTC. Cost me £4 to send Special Delivery and they said it was under waranty for the dust problem, I hope they fix it and dont just clean it. Ive only had it 1 week