Guest PaulOBrien

Guest martin

Just found this - C550 specifications according to wapzon :D

http://www.wapzon.com/web/devicedetail.asp?Pid=5982&Bid=66

Orange SPV C550 specifications & functions:

Dimensions : 90X47X25mm.

Weight : 110g.

GSM Triband (900/1800/1900MHz).

GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) Class 10.

EDGE (Enhanced Data for Global Evolution).

2.0 WAP browser.

Support Bluetooth connectivity.

Support Java 2.0 platform.

MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service).

Microsoft Smartphone 2003 Operating System.

240X320 pixels 262144 colours QVGA TFT LCD display screen.

1.3M resolutions digital camera with video recorder/playback, flash and digital zoom function.

MP3 player.

Joystick navigation key, dedicated controls for music playback key, power button, camera button and volume up/down button.

Bulit-in microphone, speaker and earphone/microphone jack with stereo sound.

Speakerphone.

Internal antenna.

Call vibration.

Voice recording function.

Polyphonic ring tone.

Text input predictive software.

miniSD card expansion slot.

Infrared and USB client.

Downloadable applications, games, pictures, animations and ring tones.

64MB internal memory.

Microsoft Smartphone 2003 applications, Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Microsoft Windows Media Player, Microsoft MSN Messenger, Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer, Email, Microsoft ActiveSync, Calculator, Currency convertor, Album, File Manager, Task Manager, photo caller ID, photo album, photo editor and games.

Guest tudor

I like that all the mobile phone specifications quote "Bluetooth support". That means nothing to the end-user, because it can mean anything, even that is has only serial port profile, which would be useless.

I think that Orange should be honest and say exactly what the phone can do (i.e. can use object push for file transfers, can send contacts over bluetooth using OBEX, supports Bluetooth stereo headset :D and so on).

Guest chucky.egg

Can anyone explain the impact of the higher screen res (and other supposed features) on app compatibility?

Will the apps on my C500 work on the C550?

Guest tudor

The apps will work, as the operating system will resample the interface to fit the new screen size. Any application that has not been developed for larger screens will be subjected to this resize thing.

Developers have the posibility (using the WM 2003SE SDK) to detect and use the bigger screen size to fit more info, render things more accurately etc.

Guest fallwood

Read all the posts in this thread and i cant see that this phone has any benefits over the c500. What exactly am i gonna be able to do that i cant already do with my c500, what id like to see is a more compact pocketpc phone about the size of the p900 , this would be fantastic as the current range of ppc phones are way too big for everyday use but do offer great functionality, its a ball ache deciding which phone i need (c500 or m2000) for a certain day then swapping simcards and making sure both are always charged, one phone that does both is what im waiting for.

Edited by fallwood

Guest Pondrew
Read all the posts in this thread and i cant see that this phone has any benefits over the c500. What exactly am i gonna be able to do that i cant already do with my c500, what id like to see is a more compact pocketpc phone about the size of the p900 , this would be fantastic as the current range of ppc phones are way too big for everyday use but do offer great functionality, its a ball ache deciding which phone i need (c500 or m2000) for a certain day then swapping simcards and making sure both are always charged, one phone that does both is what im waiting for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someones obviously not come across the I-Mate Jam yet. P900! No thanks...

Guest fallwood
Someones obviously not come across the I-Mate Jam yet. P900! No thanks...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just found it, looks like im visiting a tmobile shop tomorrow. Are there any bad thing i need to know about either tmobile or the mda mini, well anyhting worse than the crap service i get from orange at the moment.

Guest Pondrew
Just found it, looks like im visiting a tmobile shop tomorrow. Are there any bad thing i need to know about either tmobile or the mda mini, well anyhting worse than the crap service i get from orange at the moment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm. Not really qualified to comment myself as I've never even seen one in the flesh! There's loads of info on here though. I've seen suggestions that the cons are poor speaker quality and disappointing camera.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Speaker (when holding the phone to your head) is a little disapointing, but still perfectly usable. I also miss the 128mb memory available on my m2000, only 64 on the mda compact. One final bug is that its very difficult to write a text or email on the move. Other than that the compact makes a fantastic c500 replacement!

• 1 month later...
Guest ptwilliams

I rang Orange today to enquire about C550 availability, and the girl there said not only did they have no info on their system, but it also wasnt listed on their training database (which lists handsets in testing), either.

So whats the story ? Are we going to see it in May ?

Guest fozzie

Out comes the crystal ball.......... yes we will. On the other hand, perhaps we won't. One thing's for sure; there'll be plenty of speculation, mis-information, 'I know it's true' information, insider information etc etc. At the end of the day, it'll be out when it's out.

Guest ptwilliams
Out comes the crystal ball.......... yes we will.  On the other hand, perhaps we won't.  One thing's for sure; there'll be plenty of speculation, mis-information, 'I know it's true' information, insider information etc etc.  At the end of the day, it'll be out when it's out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! Was hoping my Orange Premier 9 month upgrade thing would be able to be called into use, but who knows ?!

Guest morpheus2702

Using the Crystal Ball to look backwards, HTC and Orange have got a lot better with their announcement-to-release times. I think there was maybe 3 months max between the E200 and C500 being announced to release, though the E100 was a joke.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.