New SPV C500 Sync and Charging Dock in Production

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest LadFromWales85

Ooooooooo, looks nice, will get one for my future smartphone when you have added all your improvements.

Is the dock weighted?

It would be cool to have just a mini usb socket, so that it can be used with your own cable, or the ac adaptor, as paul said, but a thin and flexible black cable will do :D

I do wish you could 'plop' the phone on the dock as easy as you can 'plop' a cordless back onto its base...

Guest muddy250

The dock does provide a lot of support for the phone, the plug is angled back at 7 degrees and the phone leans against the back support so that it is reasonably tight. The plug actually needs a force of 35N to release it from the socket so it's not going to fall off but it's still easy to put on and off with one hand and the base is very stable. You would have to hit it very hard to knock it over.

I'm definitely interested in this but as mentioned previeiously it needs to provide much more support for the phone

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest girlpantz

There's another on eBay that looks a lot better:

eBay Item : C500 Docking Cradle

I would personally go for this one to be honest... It's using the proper Orange parts that we're used to! So for the people worried about the other being too light, you know it's not, and it's got a black cable! Yay!

Guest muddy250

Thanks for pointing it out! It looks like there's only one of it tho and it's a butchered SPV200 cradle by the looks of things. Have one the same here but didn't use it as there was no way to fix the plug in the correct place accurately so a redesign was necessary. Am taking on board all the comments from MoDaCo users! Don't appreciate the slagging the seller gives my effort without any knowledge of the design work that's going into it. I'm not simply recycling the parts bin!

Sorry to draw people away from yours Muddy!  :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by muddy250

Guest hedghogz

As it charges by USB, will it require a computer that has activesync installed (presumably yes?)

It'd be cool if it had a switch on it to connect the appropriate usb pins to ground so it could be used both for charge/sync on a computer with activesync and also just charging on one without (like a work PC)

Guest martin

If the cradle is designed specifically for the C500 then I would certainly buy it. I would like a design where you could detach the USB cable though :D

Guest muddy250

Hi,

I don't know if activesync is needed for charging thru the computer. I'd have thought that the USB connection alone will power the charging circuit. Maybe someone out there knows?

As it charges by USB, will it require a computer that has activesync installed (presumably yes?)

It'd be cool if it had a switch on it to connect the appropriate usb pins to ground so it could be used both for charge/sync on a computer with activesync and also just charging on one without (like a work PC)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Confucious
Hi,

I don't know if activesync is needed for charging thru the computer. I'd have thought that the USB connection alone will power the charging circuit. Maybe someone out there knows?

AS is needed with the normal cable. If you connect pins 4 & 5 (IIRC) it will charge without AS. There are threads about it in the Typhoon section.

Guest muddy250

Am trying to find suitable socket/plug supplies so I can set up a jig to allow me to produce this option as it would be a much better solution. Everyone already has a cable and as Paul already said, you'd have the option to plug in the mains charger as well.

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone for all the feedback. The response has been amazing so far, and in only one day! Will try to incorporate the points raised in V2 and will set something up via the MoDaCo shop for sales :D

If the cradle is designed specifically for the C500 then I would certainly buy it. I would like a design where you could detach the USB cable though :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest muddy250

Cheers, all the connection diagrams I've seen for USB A to mini 5pin have 4&5 connected internally anyway as USB A is a 4 pin plug. Do you know of a different configuration? I'll remove AS from my PC tomorrow and test it.

AS is needed with the normal cable. If you connect pins 4 & 5 (IIRC) it will charge without AS. There are threads about it in the Typhoon section.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any pics of the grey cable Muddy? I'd pay a bit more for a black cable.

What happened to Win2KUser? I want to know where they sourced theirs?

There's another on eBay that looks a lot better:

eBay Item : C500 Docking Cradle

Thanks. It has a longer cable to, the C500 cable isn't long enough. The E200 was just right.

Nice cradle. There are, of course, other alternatives :D

Any chance of selling yours?

Edited by Guest

Guest Raven001

Yeah.. sorry, by "the cable is black" I really meant: "The cable is not that ugly white color" :D Grey is fine.. I'm not THAT picky! :D

Edit: Though Grey is fine, Black is still preferable :D

Edited by Raven001

Guest MitchellO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I charge my XDA II Mini on a PC that doesn't have Activesync on it all the time. The USB port provides the power, nothing to do with the software. It will be the same for this phone.

Guest cat999

Win2Kuser, you say you have a cradle you bought in bath for a tenner, why don't you share the info with all of us, i.e. address of the shop and do they do mail order.

Also can we have some pics please.

Guest muddy250

No pics of the grey cables, haven't arrived yet. Will post pics as soon as I get some. I think they'll be 2m long like the light grey I used before.

Any pics of the grey cable Muddy? I'd pay a bit more for a black cable.

Guest Confucious
I charge my XDA II Mini on a PC that doesn't have Activesync on it all the time. The USB port provides the power, nothing to do with the software. It will be the same for this phone.

Hmm. yes....

Nice to know there is someone who knows better than everyone who's actually tried it. :shock:

Guest C500mad

I would have one and know plenty of others that are gasping for one - How many phones do I have to charge without a proper cradle? Colour co ordinated cradle and cable, in black or silver for £20 would be great

Guest muddy250

I tried to get the phone to charge on the kids PC running windows XP today. It tried and failed to install the new USB device (phone) and there was no power to the phone, so I have to conclude that it does need AS or at least something which lets the PC recognise the phone. Even more confused...

Edited by muddy250

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.