SPV C550 detailed on the CPW Website

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest morpheus2702

Is it me, or is all the buzz about mobiles 3G related at the moment? Like Paul says, it sounds more of a stop-gap than the revolution we were hoping for.

Its a real shame when you consider 2Mp camera phones with 3G, media players and memory cards are becoming more common. I'm confused to what's the smarter phone?

Guest Foxy2k

It may just be a stop gap but for people like me who have had the e200 for a year it's got to be worth waiting for instead of getting the c500 now.

The 1.3 mega pixel camera has to be worth it on it's own.

Guest hotphil
Its a real shame when you consider 2Mp camera phones with 3G, media players and memory cards are becoming more common. I'm confused to what's the smarter phone?

Definitely still 2/2.5G - at least they work, unlike 3G.

Guest Confucious
I wouldn't get that excited, the 1.3MP camera on the Dopod 585 and the Jam SUCK!

:|

P

I thought that might be a big improvement - obviously not. The camera is one area the C500 could do with improvement.

Guest Helix
Is it me, or is all the buzz about mobiles 3G related at the moment?  Like Paul says, it sounds more of a stop-gap than the revolution we were hoping for. 

Its a real shame when you consider 2Mp camera phones with 3G, media players and memory cards are becoming more common.  I'm confused to what's the smarter phone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said! I am always asking myself the same question of "What is the smarter phone". It seems that all new phones are finding ways to implement smartphone style fuctions. The new nokia 3G phones are examples of this.

I can also agree with Paul with that the C550 will just be a "Stepping stone to sometes else" device. Even the name gives it away!

I think I'll wait for the C600 ;) or see how the new Nokia 6681 goes.

Guest fasteye
As far as I know Orange does not operate in countries where Quadriband is needed. I find the battery life great given the abilities of the phone and its size. WIFI: who said it wouldn't be there in C550? Can be that a SD WIFI adapter works.. (Most probably not as operators can lose a lot with phone conversation through WIFI) 3G: Until proved otherwise I want to believe C550 will have it! About aerial I find it comparable with other phones sucha s Nokias, Ericsson etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately in the business market where I work this device will be compared with the Treo 650 which is way superior in terms of signal reception and battery life. The quad band is very important in the US even if roaming. They are the device of choice with end users despite being unreliable and using the Palm OS which brings development limitations.

I'd like to see Microsoft build a phone which can really impress in this space in a nice small form factor. I don't think we'll be closer to that until magneto.

Guest Paul [MVP]

What makes you think Magneto will make a difference? It's just the OS, surely the bulk of the innovation needs to be in the hardware?

P

Guest drblow
Unfortunately in the business market where I work this device will be compared with the Treo 650 which is way superior in terms of signal reception and battery life. The quad band is very important in the US even if roaming. They are the device of choice with end users despite being unreliable and using the Palm OS which brings development limitations.

I'd like to see Microsoft build a phone which can really impress in this space in a nice small form factor. I don't think we'll be closer to that until magneto.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm confused by those comments! :shock: I looked at the treo 650 on a website. It's absolutely nothing like the C550! It's not even smartphone, it's palm. It's got a totally different form (querty keyboard, external antenae). How could the C550 be in any way compared to this phone, business world or not? Surely one of the main reasons for choosing MS smartphone over symbian or palm will be the fact that most businesses use MS products, including outlook - which smartphones sync with obviously.

If the 'business world' cares more about battery life & signal reception, then why bother with any kind of smartphone when they could use a nice big blokia or something?

Guest Confucious

The treo 650 is very popular in the USA but in Europe is virtually unheard of. Does anyone know why? There must be a logical explanation as to why European companies have rejected it yet our American cousins have embraced it.

Guest pierre

I donno why I tend to feel like Palm system is backward or at least too complicated. Orange here are launching it in Europe within very soon.

Guest chucky.egg

I tried the Treo 600 a while back, but AFAIK it's not multi-tasking which ruled it out for me.

As for the argument that "if you use MS Office at work you need an MS Smartphone"... that's just not the case. My SE P800 and P900 both had better sync'ing with Exchange out of the box, and you can use QuickOffice to edit Word/Excel/Etc... QuickOffice began on the Palm platform IIRC

Guest pierre

Right, even my Treo 600 synchronize really well with Outlook inbox, contacts, etc. with the help of a 3rd party app.

I believe Palm is rich with 100'000+ apps to make it the way we want to. But it's a very big jungle...

Edited by pierre

Guest Paul [MVP]

I need Server ActiveSync, so until the Treo 650 arrives with Server ActiveSync, or they Nokia agreement kicks in, i'm sticking with my Windows Mobile device ;)

P

Guest pierre

It's just that?? Then I confirm I can do it with my Treo 600, that is it is to synch over the air with my company's Microsoft Exchange server. It's done through a 3rd party app.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.