Orange M500 - - Oooh Pretty

Guest ddieter

Guest ddieter
The casing on the M500 is actually a bit bigger than that of the JAM/S100/XDA Mini etc. ;)

http://www.pocketpt.net/galeria/view_album...=CEBIT05&page=1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the pictures on that website the case for the Vodaphone definitely looks bigger.

I looked for the size stats on the M500 on the Dutch Orange website, but they were not listed....however the 'Mobile Gazette' quotes the size stats as 108x58x18mm / 150 grams http://www.mobilegazette.com/orange-spv-m500-2.htm

This size is identical to the stats of the MDA Compact as listed on T-mobiles German website (108 x 58 x 18 / 150 grams) http://www.t-mobile.de/shop/handy/1,4855,2...7-0-1-2,00.html

However, maybe the Mobile Gazette just assumed the stats were identical to the MDA Compact.

However, why would Orange want to make their version bigger than the MDA Compact, just doesn't make sense, unless it is....as rmg said...to eventually accomodate a Wi-fi chip.

Guest MitchellO

I think that they might be the same, it is just the fact that the M500 is and the VPA is much more square that they seem bigger. The JAM/Mini has a nice rounded edges and sides, so would seem smaller.

Guest ri2la

Me too, I've knackerd my phone, and want an M500 as the other networks, have crap pricing!!!!

GGrrrrrrrr Where are you when I need you Orange!!!!!

Guest Disco Stu

Same old 'same old' :roll:

You never can tell with Orange. Internal communications seem to be lacking.

A June release has been mentioned, as with the C550. Many would doubt this but then things can move fast when they actually get it tested and approved.

Same old 'same old'  :roll:

You never can tell with Orange. Internal communications seem to be lacking.

A June release has been mentioned, as with the C550. Many would doubt this but then things can move fast when they actually get it tested and approved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets hope they get it tested and ready to roll sooner rather than later...

Guest Samsonite

i so want one of these its embarrasing!!

does anyone know why Orange UK would have any delays at all in bringing it to market if other European branches have got it? that bit doesnt make sense to me...

i nearly got an MDA compact the other day... orange better hurry as i'm getting an itch that needs a gadgetscratch....

woohoo!! this is/was my hundredth post... and my teachers said i'd never stick at anything... ;)

Edited by Samsonite

Guest ddieter

If you were an owner of MDA Compact and managed to eventually track down a casing for the M500, would you just be able to swap over the guts?

Guest spidermunky

My contract with Orange runs out next month. I'm very torn now. I really want a phone with wifi, like the M2000. The ROM/RAM size is good. It seems to be reasonably powerful so it should cope quite well with emulators, movies, music and most other stuff I can throw at it. Oh, and it has a nice thumboard, and as I suck with the onscreen keyboard and handwriting recognition this would be very good too. The main downside is of course the size. ;) (There's always something isn't there?)

On the other hand, the JAM is small, relatively light, and looks pretty. Downsides are no wifi, less buttons (for games etc), less RAM/ROM and also nasty old on screen text input. The benchmarks I've seen for it weren't great either. Overall though, the size makes it very appealling.

It would be nice to think that a WM2005 upgrade might eventually be on the cards for both of these too, but past experience with theese things make me doubt it.

They both seem pretty good to me, but I don't know which one I would prefer - and unlike some of the lucky/hard working people on the forum, I can't really afford to get them both. ;)

I need someone to hit me with a big stick and tell me which to get. Hehe

Greg

Guest Photon

For me, the m2000 would be damn nice (and the upcoming m2500) for the wifi mainly, but also the keyboard, but the size and rather extreme price put me off. I mean, lets face it. I have never had a phone that lasted much longer than a year, and I would not be happy spending that much money for a year...

Also, someone passed me in the supermarket talking on one, and it was HUGE...

Therefore, hopefully the m500 will be better on both counts. I want one now, and I have not wanted any phones for a while (kind dabbled with the idea of the c500, but far too many reported problems for my taste)

I phoned orange, and whilst the guy wasnt willing to confirm or deny, he did say it would be at least the back end of may before they got it out. Time for a trip to amsterdam methinks...

Guest MitchellO

The Magician is great size wise, and speed is fine. When I get mine back ( the speaker stopped speaking ) I intend to do the anansky ROM update to give me 27Mb of ROM. Still doesn't equal 128Mb RAM + whatever ROM in the Blue Angel, but not back for such a tiny device.

I am really interested in the Blue Angel though. I went from an iPAQ 4355 that had a thumboard builtin, and i really miss it. Might have to get one in about 6 months after the Magician has worn off!

Guest Pondrew

I would highly recommend the Blue Angel.

And as for high cost, mine only cost me £25 from T-Mobile!?

I'm on an 18month contract with 200 xnet minutes. With GPRS my bill has averaged out over the last three months at £30 a month. I'll probably be paying about £50 a month once the intro offer expires at the end of the first six months. Funnily enough though that is much less then I used to pay Orange on my SPV E200 account...

Edited by Pondrew