AotW: CellTrack

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest madhatter2k

I absolutely LOVE this idea so much. I love the idea of programs that make you aware of the electronics, and systems that are in use all around you, all the time, without you even knowing. If you just brush past someone, and your phone alerts you that you talk to this person, and you have an email waiting from them, that's just amazing! absolutely FANTASTIC job to the coders, if I can help in any way with this project I will be more than happy to.

It looks like cell track is falling apart, there is a comment in the forums, about no work being done on it for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got a response from TheLogster who has released an unofficial beta 7 version. But as I have said on the forum, it is chicken and egg, if the software does not do anything, then people won't use it, but if people don't use it, will they develop it.

Makes you think twice about trying anything else!

Guest chucky.egg

Dont forget that the developers are doing other things as well.

The recent FREE unlocking solution for the C500 was from these people

Dont forget that the developers are doing other things as well.

The recent FREE unlocking solution for the C500 was from these people

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe so, but there is no point half doing something and not keeping people advised of progress. However, it does seem a Beta 8 will be soon, but will it provide more facilities?

Guest chucky.egg

Keeping people informed would be good, I only stumbled on Beta6 the other day by chance, and I thought the project was dead.

There are loads of half-finished projects around, and I don't think you can really complain when it's (currently) freeware anyway.

IMO if they add functions then great, if they don't then I'll either have to (a) go without, or (:) learn to write my own software

Guest Lammypie

beta 7 is available, its recently been recompiled, so if you got it from the site on the day of release, get it again.

the plans for beta 8 include increase in accuracy by use of triangulation style calculations. This would make beta 8 - superb (in my book anyway). but seeing as beta 7 is not released yet on the main site, (because they don't have time) and is only available via the logsters own site, then perhaps it may be a while. ? who knows!

Guest martin

It's been a while since I last updated celltrack but I've finally got round to installing beta 7 :) I think I still had beta 4 on my C500 so the first thing I noticed was the addition of MCC+MNC to complete the CGI (Cell Globall Identity) which I find much better. I don't think it included in the tracking report database yet.

It would be good to see some more options for the nearby cells menu. If celltrack could record the serving cell Id and neighbouring cell Id's, and associated LACs and SIGs, over period of time and then save the data to SD card, that would be really handy :D

• 3 months later...
Guest magic_peanuts
It's been a while since I last updated celltrack but I've finally got round to installing beta 7 ;)  I think I still had beta 4 on my C500 so the first thing I noticed was the addition of MCC+MNC to complete the CGI (Cell Globall Identity) which I find much better. I don't think it included in the tracking report database yet.

It would be good to see some more options for the nearby cells menu. If celltrack could record the serving cell Id and neighbouring cell Id's, and associated LACs and SIGs, over period of time and then save the data to SD card, that would be really handy  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it just me or is the whole CellTrack thing dead? Can't download the program, can't access the forum...

Guest Lammypie

yeah, I think its dying a slow, painful death.

I checked last week and the site was still showing beta 6.

Nothing really much appears to be happening with it.

Guest Zone-MR

It's far from dead... We're currently working on finishing Beta 8.

The main additions in Beta 8 is support for Hurricane and Tornado phones (full support for QVGA, WM5, etc), a better locally-cached database system, lower GPRS data usage, etc.

magic_peanuts, SPV-Devs was down a couple of hours ago due to some updates, it's back up now.

Edited by Zone-MR

Guest magic_peanuts

The main additions in Beta 8 is support for Hurricane and Tornado phones (full support for QVGA, WM5, etc), a better locally-cached database system, lower GPRS data usage, etc.

magic_peanuts, SPV-Devs was down a couple of hours ago due to some updates, it's back up now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, very much looking forward to Beta 8!

• 1 month later...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this product still not dead, as there doesn't seem to have been any mention of finishing Beta 8 since this post? Would be very disappointing if it got so close to working on C550 and then never appeared.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is this product still not dead, as there doesn't seem to have been any mention of finishing Beta 8 since this post? Would be very disappointing if it got so close to working on C550 and then never appeared.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess the lack of response means the Smartphone development has stopped. The only activity on the "unstable" build site since September has been to port it to the PPC platform.

• 3 months later...
Guest sporkguy

It seems this project is stale and/or dead now - shame really, I think a lot of us would like this program to run on our WM5 devices.

RIP Celltrack.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zone-MR
It seems this project is stale and/or dead now - shame really, I think a lot of us would like this program to run on our WM5 devices.

RIP Celltrack.

While it's been stale recently, it certainly isn't dead. I have some big plans for it, and will be devoting a lot of time to it's development in the coming months.

I can't go into too much detail at the moment, as we're still finalising our plans - but it'll rock :)

• 6 months later...
Guest Elwyn 3100
Not that I know of

I've asked out telecomms guy to see if he can get a list from Orange for all their cells in our area, have to wait and see if he actually gets around to it, and if they give him the list! (reasonable chance I think, based on our bill!)

A while ago one of the tower operators in the UK allowed access to their database of towers in the UK. I don't know how complete it was but my Psion 5mx took about 6 hours of crunching to import it properly :P It was pretty searchable....

I just can't remember their name right now.... :) :D Sorry.

When it comes to me, does anyone want a copy?? :D

• 1 month later...
Guest FlangeArtist
While it's been stale recently, it certainly isn't dead. I have some big plans for it, and will be devoting a lot of time to it's development in the coming months.

I can't go into too much detail at the moment, as we're still finalising our plans - but it'll rock :)

Zone-MR, so it's been about 7 months since you posted this comment. Has it got to the stage of 'rocking' yet, or has it stayed 'dead' for the moment?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pcourtney

peter

A while ago one of the tower operators in the UK allowed access to their database of towers in the UK. I don't know how complete it was but my Psion 5mx took about 6 hours of crunching to import it properly :D It was pretty searchable....

I just can't remember their name right now.... :) :D Sorry.

When it comes to me, does anyone want a copy?? :D

YES please Elwyn

email : peter at cix co uk

thanks