Talking Point: What would you change on MoDaCo?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tunney

I really love these forums. There's a great community here and MoDaCo offer some amazing services. It's no wonder that you're a Microsoft MVP, Paul. ;)

I know that this isn't likely to happen, but how about expanding the focus of MoDaCo to include non-MS smartphones, such as Symbian, Palm and, dare I say it, even RIM?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gears
I know that this isn't likely to happen, but how about expanding the focus of MoDaCo to include non-MS smartphones, such as Symbian, Palm and, dare I say it, even RIM?

Can open, worms everywhere.

Guest squall

wheres that ban button!?

paul's said before he doesnt want to go down that line, there are other forums which focus on them, modaco should stick to what its best at.

I would like to see a forum dedicated to discussing future tech, even things we may not see on a smartphone.

Examples id give would be discussing egde, 3g, wifi etc etc etc

perhaps it could be called network discussion or something?

Guest jpalmer99

On a little different note than above I think it would be great if you could sort/search the homescreen section by plugins. It is a small thing, but I don't seriously look at putting a homescreen on my phone that doesn't have the smartmon in it. I'm sure other users have their favorite plugins as well.

Guest chucky.egg
I ended up doing several different XML feeds on CoolSmartPhone because some people wanted "the whole XML feed", some wanted just titles, some wanted an intro - etc etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the amount of detail in the feed should be changeable, but you can already specify what forums you want, so a "low/mde/high" detail switch should be a simple addition (he says, not being the one that would have to do it! ;))

Guest Tunney

Ah, sorry for mentioning it then.

I guess I was being a bit selfish anyway. I'm a fan of smartphones in general, not just MS ones. I guess a lot of people here are ardently pro-MS and so this forum is perfect for them.

I still find it a shame that there's really no one website that caters for all smartphone users though. I really dislike this whole "them and us" attitude. It reminds me a lot of the games console on-line community.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Ah, sorry for mentioning it then.

I guess I was being a bit selfish anyway. I'm a fan of smartphones in general, not just MS ones. I guess a lot of people here are ardently pro-MS and so this forum is perfect for them.

I still find it a shame that there's really no one website that caters for all smartphone users though. I really dislike this whole "them and us" attitude. It reminds me a lot of the games console on-line community.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Windows Mobile is a funny beast. Everyone hates microsoft, as pre xp - windows was crap!

Windows Mobile is by a country mile the best Smartphone platform, and it will takeover (whether thats good or bad I'm not sure) - but it puts other platforms to shame.

Guest Mark T

Personally, I'd prefer it if there were no separation between Smartphone and PPCPE in the forums. I've been using a Smartphone for the past year and a half, but I'm also interested in PPCPE devices, and was close to switching over to the i-mate JAM recently. It would be good to be able to keep up with what's going on in the PPCPE world without having to go into a separate forum.

Other than that, a great site!

Mark

Guest squall

what do you guys think of the search function?

I find its very hard to get results you want, searching for more than one terms just a pain, and the minimun number of chars is to high.

I doubt anything could be done to make it better, but it would be nice

Guest drblow
On a little different note than above I think it would be great if you could sort/search the homescreen section by plugins.  It is a small thing, but I don't seriously look at putting a homescreen on my phone that doesn't have the smartmon in it.  I'm sure other users have their favorite plugins as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:shock: That's a good idea!

I agree that the forums could be easier on the eyes. I don't have a PPC or anything, so I'm not interested in that stuff, but I still agree with the benefit of the fourms all being part of one big modaco site, just incase I get a PPC! ;)

I'm fairly used to the new layout now, so really I think the forums are fine. But filtering out any forums of no interest from the 'view new posts' thing would be nice.

I wondered a while back about making a post where people could suggest good practice for using the site. I mean, I never use the 'mark all topics read' buttons or anything like that. I just click 'view new posts' and thats it! ;) I have often wondered if there are clever things I could do but am unaware of.

For people who complain about the adverts I say pay your plus membership and stop whining! :P Websites don't just run themselves you know. There's a whole lotta work goes into modaco from several dedicated folk, who not only deserve to break even, but also deserve to make profit if at all possible. I consider the measley 20 odd quid a year to be a minor repayment for the use of the forum & all it's resources - and if you come here often enough to post compaining about the adverts then you too have already utilised enough modaco to warrant a piffling sum like 20 pounds! ;) Aswell, then all the benefits (now including free papyrus, so thats $20 back right there! :D ) are just extras.

Edited by drblow

Guest www.msmobiles.com

Modaco podcast, please!

Reguarly, once weekly or at least once monthly.

Modaco podcast is what I would like to hear from Modaco...

Guest Paul [MVP]

The MoDaCo 'PubCast' is high on my list of to-dos, but I'm not going to start it until i'm sure I can commit enough time to do it every week!

Watch this space...

;)

P

Guest www.msmobiles.com
The MoDaCo 'PubCast' is high on my list of to-dos, but I'm not going to start it until i'm sure I can commit enough time to do it every week!

Watch this space...

;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"watch"? I wanna hear it!

One suggestion: don't start so aggressively. Start with once a month!

Guest www.msmobiles.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) are you drinking, what I'm drinking, Leigh?

Well, I don't think it's good idea to broaden scope of Modaco - focus is essential to cover given platform in bigger depth.

I remember those times when Modaco had sony ericsson section :?:

Guest nickcornaglia

hmmmmpf! Very sound advice from msmobiles. ;) No need for a weekly Pubcast....once a month is PLENTY for starters...and additional pubcasts during the month would just be a plus...unless you're looking for an excuse to get out of the house once a week...then, we say "Mrs O'Brien...we NEED a WEEKLY pubcast! ;)

I'm all for additional PPCPE content. Downloads, News, etc. I'm a re-re-re- converted convert, converted again. Thusly...I am "Smartphone"-less and any additional PPC content would be greatly appreciated!

Like everyone...I love the freebies! Unlike everyone....I don't need to win. I just like to see stuff given away. The bigger, the better! More contests and givaways would be great. And contests not limited to UK ONLY would be even greater! Better or more ModacpPlus exclusive contests would be the Shiznit!!!

I still dont care for the new forum layout. The new features are great...but I hate digging down thru a few layers of forums to see if there is anything for me to read. I used to browse thru every forum...now I just spot check as it's too cumbersome for my little brain. I think it was just easier before.

RSS Feeds on the portal page or a seperate links page from "Friends of Modaco" would be cool too.

I wouldnt mind a software store if that would generate some more cashish for the site.

I also dont mind adds on the page...even for Plus Members. Google adds suck...but banners sometimes get my attention about things I may not normally investigate. I say banners for all! Don't go crazy...but a random one one every page is not out of the question.

Oh and is there a way I can get paid for visiting the site??? That would be really cool!

That's it. I'm not feeling overly opinionated tonight! :P ;) :D

Guest awarner [MVP]
Paul-

is it possible to change my name?

i hate the name i_oWn_u

Should not have chosen it ;)

Send me a PM and I'll sort it out for you ;)

Guest Hainsey

I also think you should re-design the forums.

I strongly disagree about Modaco just being a smartphone forum as I always thought it was a forum for mobile windows products!? Hence "Windows, Mobilised" NOT "Smartphones, Mobilised" also I cant see what some smartphone users point i here seeing as there is an abundance of smartphone posts/apps/news and hardly any pocket pc posts in comparison. And I do know as I have a C500 as well.

Personally I would like to see more Pocket PC content and Pocket PC dowload section and for plus members Poket pc apps and free stuff for Pocket PC when you join as opposed to mainly smartphone stuff.

*rant over*

Guest bretto

Im still learning how to use the site and whats is available to me on it.

I have been around long enough to see some changes like the new format of the forums. Actually the new forum layout opened my eyes to new devices. Downside to that is I want too many toys now!

I personally like having a look around at what people are saying and where this technology is being taken. In Australia we are a bit behind you guys in what is available. Having said that I cant help but see the irony in replying to Fridays talking point when its Saturday night here ;)

Maybe at some stage Modaco could look into having something like a "personalise your Modaco" option. Could handle things like what news feeds you want to display, allow you to "subscribe" to forums of interest, etc.

Just a point about the search page. Is it just me or does everyone have to go to the main forum page to get the search to return results from all forums. For me if Im in a forum and search from the search page it looks like its set to search from root but only does a search in the current forum. Maybe that could be changed?

What about a list of all the current problems/bugs/missing functionality of the smartphone platform, along with solutions in the form of hacks/tweaks/third party programs that have surfaced so far?

It would include all those "essential" things that we have had to do to make our smartphones useful phone/pda devices (something that unfortunately they are not out of the box at the moment...).

This could be implemented as a specialized forum that would contain said list as a sticky post, and then other posts discussing new items to be added to the list or solutions to the existing items?

The list could be be something like this:

Issue: You know how when you initiate a call, there is an annoying loud 'beep' in your ear (even when on Silent)...?

Solution:

Issue: How can I see my running programs and terminate ones I don't use to free up memory?

Solution: Use xBar <+some more details features on xBar and/or alternatives>

Issue: How can I disable the battery low sound that plays in the middle of the night even on Silent?

Solution: none yet, please submit

etc, etc

Guest nickcornaglia
I will be adding a lot more extensive RSS over the next couple of weeks! ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hurray! Good thing I read thru before casting my vote for that one! ;)