TotW: Change your Operator Name

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bennish

Hey guys

It seems as though the number needed for this is located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RIL\IMSI (the first five digits, in my case). Although, even with the correct number, I confess I still can't get this tweak to work on my MPX220 - a shame, as I'm heartily sick of the operator name covering any photo I put on the external screen

Guest spazzwig

If you don't know the number for your operator you should be able find it by doing the following:

1. Go to Settings > Phone > Networks on your phone.

2. Select Menu > Preferred Networks.

3. Scroll to the bottom of the list -- The networks accessed since last boot are listed WITHOUT the box checked.

Note the number that matches the network you want to change. Also any networks you roam to from the list that you would like to change the names of.

Follow the instructions at the start of this post using the numbers you've just located.

Note: This is how it works with my phone (SMT5600 AT&T/Cingular), but I imagine it should work the same elsewhere, or very similarly.

Hope this helps!

PS. One irritating thing... if the operator name is too long the number will get cut off, and although there is a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom I haven't been able to get it to scroll to the right to get the whole number for long-titled networks (AT&T Wireless). I've changed the Cingular operator name successfully using this technique, but if anyone knows what the "AT&T Wireless" (not "AT&T USA" or other varients) number is please let me know! I've already tried 31038 but that's not it. It does start with 310 tho...

Guest pmonchet

;) YES!Thanks Sir. Trying out now...More Power..

I tried the given number..but everytime I reboot my voyager.The new string value I created for Sun Cellular is gone.What are left are for Globe and Smart only.Does this mean that only 2 cell provider can be used?

For your info....

Edited by pmonchet

Guest bennish

Is anyone else having problems even with the right code? I'm on Virgin Australia, which is on the Optus network and is 50502. Yet, using this number, I *still* can't get this to work. It's really bugging me! Is there anyone else out there using the correct number with *still* no results?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
;)  YES!Thanks Sir. Trying out now...More Power..

I tried the given number..but everytime I reboot my voyager.The new string value I created for Sun Cellular is gone.What are left are for Globe and Smart only.Does this mean that only 2 cell provider can be used?

For your info....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So far I tried only 2 names.

Guest ctitanic
If you don't know the number for your operator you should be able find it by doing the following:

1. Go to Settings > Phone > Networks on your phone.

2. Select Menu > Preferred Networks.

3. Scroll to the bottom of the list -- The networks accessed since last boot are listed WITHOUT the box checked.

Note the number that matches the network you want to change. Also any networks you roam to from the list that you would like to change the names of.

Follow the instructions at the start of this post using the numbers you've just located.

Note: This is how it works with my phone (SMT5600 AT&T/Cingular), but I imagine it should work the same elsewhere, or very similarly.

Hope this helps!

PS. One irritating thing... if the operator name is too long the number will get cut off, and although there is a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom I haven't been able to get it to scroll to the right to get the whole number for long-titled networks (AT&T Wireless). I've changed the Cingular operator name successfully using this technique, but if anyone knows what the "AT&T Wireless" (not "AT&T USA" or other varients) number is please let me know! I've already tried 31038 but that's not it. It does start with 310 tho...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have any Networks option in my Cingular MPx 220.

Guest spazzwig

Hmm... perhaps it's just a SMT5600 option then, I don't have any experience with other smartphones.

Strange tho, thought that would be consistent among WM2003 devices. Wonder if the option is named differently or located elsewhere.

Guest spazzwig

Oh and if it helps anybody the Cingular number that worked for me is 31017.

Now I just need to figure out what the AT&T one is...

(sorry for the double post... forgot the edit option -- yeah I'm new :roll: )

Edited by spazzwig

Guest ctitanic
Oh and if it helps anybody the Cingular number that worked for me is 31017.

Now I just need to figure out what the AT&T one is...

(sorry for the double post... forgot the edit option -- yeah I'm new  :roll: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does not work that number in my Cingular mpx220 ;)

Guest spazzwig

hmmm... I'm in California where are you? Here is a list of numbers you can try if you like:

Hope one works for ya...

Guest karhill

I couldn't get it to work on my Audiovox SMT 5600, Cingular service.

I tried operator ids:

The last two were the unchecked networks in my preferred network list. Interestingly enough, the first 3 numbers, which were also in my preferred network list, but were checked, are listed in the preferred network list with text names that match the text entries I made in the registry. However my home page still says "Cingular".

Guest ctitanic
hmmm... I'm in California where are you? Here is a list of numbers you can try if you like:

Hope one works for ya...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm in florida, i have tried some of these numbers already... let me try the rest.

Guest spazzwig

As near as I can tell, ID's that the phone has connected to get added at the end unchecked (weird?)... but that doesn't mean that they reflect your current connection.

For example, my phone tends to stick to AT&T, but when I forced it to connect to Cingular (using the "select a network" option) the Cingular ID got added to my list at the bottom, unchecked. It disappeared from the list after a reboot of my phone.

Frustrating thing is I can see my current "AT&T Wireless" connection unchecked at the bottom of the list, but the ID extends off the screen and I can't scroll to read the rest of it. Grrr.

I couldn't get it to work on my Audiovox SMT 5600, Cingular service. 

I tried operator ids:

The last two were the unchecked networks in my preferred network list.  Interestingly enough, the first 3 numbers, which were also in my preferred network list, but were checked, are listed in the preferred network list with text names that match the text entries I made in the registry.  However my home page still says "Cingular".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't able to get my Cingular (but i'm actually on an AT&T network) to change my Carrier name, but i've found another way, dending on your homescreen.

some home screens have files to compile and format where the CARRIER goes,

i just go in there and change that entry. the one i used is the FACEOFF homescreen (found on this forum), and then looked for the and replaced it with text

for example, My Phone

if it's a cab file, you'll need this to reCab it (kind of like a zip file [rezip])

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utiliti...ltimateZip.html

hope this works for you guys.

Guest artavila

Yes it´s great but. i´d like to comment something about, a few days ago i installed the chageoperator.cab and it toke me a hole week to realize that doing it was the cause i have lost the GPRS coverage, as a result i couldn´t conect to the internet.

I am in Mexico , my network provider is Telcel, if you chage the name of the operator , that´s it! the small G will disapear and you no longer be able to conecct trough GPRS.

I tried everyting changing the proxys, the AP´s, IP, usernames, passwords, nothing work in that situacion.

After i unistall it ,from "remove programs" my device found the coverage "G" and everything back to work again.

I asume this weird issue just happens here.

Greetings!

TotW: Change your Operator Name

This tweak is a neat little one that I first discovered (and posted about) a while ago now, but it's still worth highlighting in a TotW IMHO :P

As an added bonus this week, if you don't want to go digging around in the Registry (WIMP! :)), you can apply the same tweak by pointing your phone at http://www.CustomCABbage.co.uk and using the nice webpage there to create a CAB for you :)

This tweak is only tested on Smartphone devices (let me know if it works on Pocket PC Phone Edition!)

What does it do?

On a lot of homescreens, including the standard one, you will see your 'Operator Name' displayed. For many of you, for example, it will be 'Orange'.

It looks like this:

post-1-1114720209_thumb.jpg

Well, this tweak lets you change that text (e.g. 'Orange') to anything you want. In the screenshot below, I have used this tweak to change it to 'Lemon'.

post-1-1114720336_thumb.jpg

How difficult is it?

This tweak involves Registry editing. So, it's pretty straightforward if you are comfortable editing the Registry, maybe not so easy if not.

Disclaimer: As with all registry changes, you should be very careful when applying this tweak. Edit the wrong thing, and you could break something pretty bad :D

Of course, don't be too scared, you can always Hard Reset if you REALLY break something ;)

What do I need to do it?

To apply this tweak, you need a tool that can edit the Registry on your phone.

I recommend (in this order...)

Mobile Registry Editor - This (free) application lets you edit your phone Registry from your PC - Click Here for details

Resco Explorer - This fantastic little (commercial) utility provides a top notch File Explorer on your phone, plus the all important Registry Editor - Click Here for details

PHM Registry Editor - This (free) utility is a standalone Registry Editor for your device - Click Here for details

How do I do it then?

Right!

First of all, spark up your Registry Editor of choice. I have included screenshots below using 'Resco Registry' on the Smartphone, but you'll see pretty much the same thing whatever you are using.

You will be presented with a screen that looks like the following:

post-1-1114720390_thumb.jpg

Here you see a list of the 'Hives' in the Registry.

The Registry has a 'tree like' structure, which you can navigate by scrolling and clicking, and go back by hitting, well, back :D

So... where is the all important location for this tweak?

Navigate yourself to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\RIL\OperatorNames

post-1-1114720390_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720453_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720472_thumb.jpg

post-1-1114720490_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720504_thumb.jpg

This is where the fun starts... this, as the name suggests, is where the 'alternative' Operator Names are held :lol:

Currently, this key will be empty, containing only the 'Default' value. What we need to do is create a value in here that corresponds to our Operator's Number (i'll tell you about this in a moment), and enter some alternate text. We will end up with the following:

post-1-1114720523_thumb.jpg

Firstly, use the 'New' function to create a new value of type 'String'.

The name of the value needs to correspond to the Operator's Number (which in Orange UK's case is 23433).

To find the Operator Number for your Operator, click here to view a list at unlockme.co.uk.

Once you've entered the name, and your alternate text, you will need to reboot to see the change.

And Finally...

All Done... Check back next Monday for another 'Tweak of the Week'!

:lol:

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pagemakers
i used RJV RegTweaks UI from airfagev.com to tweak the network name , its a sort of custom cabbage on the phone ,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here, but alas it doesn't work on the 550 :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JOEJOETHEJOEY

Which model should I select on the CustomCABbage website for the Orange SPV C500?

Is it HTC Canary/Tanager or HTC Voyager/Typhoon?

Edited by JOEJOETHEJOEY