AT&T Audiovox SMT5600, Cingular ROM/Branding

Guest yankee516

Guest legion70
OK, I have success!!!!  At least partially.

I copied the Cingular ROM from my wife's phone after unlocking it.  No ill effects whatsoever.

I then managed to flash the Cingular ROM to my unlocked ATT 5600.  Works great, and NO TRIANGLE!!!!

I still can't access the internet however!!!!!  Oh well, I'll take that up with Cingular.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please be nice, share the wealth ;) :D ;) :D :D

Edited by legion70

Guest DarkJedi

ugh ok, so i got the rom, but it turns out i need a memory card reader to get the rom on the SD card; but i no longer have my memory card reader. is there someone that could rar up the extracted bin file from the SD card and post on rapidshare.de so i could possibly try this? thanks to whoever can help ;)

Guest timrray
ugh ok, so i got the rom, but it turns out i need a memory card reader to get the rom on the SD card; but i no longer have my memory card reader.  is there someone that could rar up the extracted bin file from the SD card and post on rapidshare.de so i could possibly try this?  thanks to whoever can help ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So where did you get the ROM? Can you share??????????

Guest clemonator
ugh ok, so i got the rom, but it turns out i need a memory card reader to get the rom on the SD card; but i no longer have my memory card reader.  is there someone that could rar up the extracted bin file from the SD card and post on rapidshare.de so i could possibly try this?  thanks to whoever can help ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me know if I can be of any assistance as I would like the ROM update as well-

Thanks Dark

Guest bobblah

I believe we are all waiting for this cingular rom, if any help is needed with hosting or other questions please let us know!

Guest jenya

You can try to put the ROM on your mini sd (storage card) via ActiveSync?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest DarkJedi

well doesn't that program extract the rom? it would be pointless if all i needed to do was put the bin the in the directory of the SD card.

Guest jenya

Now that I think about it... what is the process of restoring from a .bin file. I mean I know you can use itsutils when you rip the rom, but how do you do it when you download a rom?

Guest jenya

I have figured out how to import the rom on to the sim card if you actually download the BIN file from online rather then ripping it your self... It's basically just using Jimmyz instructions...

1) Put your miniSD in to it'sSD adapter, and in to a SD card reader.

2) Start WINHEX and under tools go to DISK CLONE

3) Open the initial folder where the ROM is currently stored. You will notice that you can not actually select the rom file because its not a supported file extenstion. What you do is actually just type in the full file name (ie: cingular.rom) and hit enter.

4) Select the output directory as the MINI SD drive

5) Make sure that the sectors are set to default (if it gives you an error set the beginning sector at '0')

6) Begin the copy; you will get some notifications, just keep going through and you will get a log file after completion..

7) Pop the miniSD back in to your phone, boot in 3 color mode and you will get a notification asking you if you want to write from SD.

8) Click the volume down button within 5 seconds to begin the ROM install.

The instructions I used for extracting the ROM and for restoring it to my unlocked phone are here:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=201334

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest jenya

the AT&T version of SMT5600 can be unlocked and works with cingular, how ever a lot of bugs occurr... 1) you always end up roaming back to ATT... Somehow ATT towers are hardcoded in to the Smartphone OS... Flashing to Cingulars ROM resolves all of those bugs. Both carriers are carrying the exact same phone with the same OS how ever each carrier has custom tailored which towers are primary...(cheap trick to make customers think their service is better in my opinion)

LOL! can someone plz explain why u guys so badsily need the Cingular ROM, wahts the difference? Also, can someone please upload the ROM. This will be very useful in casemy phone breaks o rsomething, cuz one time it did and then I Needed to send it to america (from Canada) and it was very costly, but htey did replace it cuz they coudln't fix it, however its good to have the ROM available, so can someone please upload it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest extravagant
the AT&T version of SMT5600 can be unlocked and works with cingular, how ever a lot of bugs occurr... 1) you always end up roaming back to ATT... Somehow ATT towers are hardcoded in to the Smartphone OS... Flashing to Cingulars ROM resolves all of those bugs.  Both carriers are carrying the exact same phone with the same OS how ever each carrier has custom tailored which towers are primary...(cheap trick to make customers think their service is better in my opinion)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh ok, thx for clear up.

Guest HKBoySiR

Here's my ROM backup. Not sure if it works or not, I'm out of the country at the moment, so I'm too afraid to try and flash my phone with it, as it would be impossible to get a new device.

(REMOVED)

Moderators, please let me know if this is not compliant with the rules.

EDIT : Link removed on the grounds that you/we do not have a licence to redistribute this software.

Edited by Disco Stu

Guest coyspiracy
Here's my ROM backup. Not sure if it works or not, I'm out of the country at the moment, so I'm too afraid to try and flash my phone with it, as it would be impossible to get a new device.

EDIT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh man, im too afraid to try it.umm, can someone else try it first??hehe

Guest Zeke009
the AT&T version of SMT5600 can be unlocked and works with cingular, how ever a lot of bugs occurr... 1) you always end up roaming back to ATT... Somehow ATT towers are hardcoded in to the Smartphone OS... Flashing to Cingulars ROM resolves all of those bugs.  Both carriers are carrying the exact same phone with the same OS how ever each carrier has custom tailored which towers are primary...(cheap trick to make customers think their service is better in my opinion)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My unlocked AT&T SMT5600 was on roaming since I bought it, unlocked it, and changed to Cingular (converted on 5/21). Then all of a sudden this past week... I have Cingular for a network and I am roaming no more. I've done all the steps in the rebranding and have no gripes at ALL about the phone or any quirks.

Anyone know why a phone would display AT&T and roaming for a few weeks and then just change one day?

Guest coyspiracy

(REMOVED)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tried it and it doesnt even work...i dont know..i might be doing something wrong..

Edited by Disco Stu

Guest jimmyz
tried it and it doesnt even work...i dont know..i might be doing something wrong..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm trying out his rom right now. I'll let you know in a bit if it works.

Guest jimmyz

This rom works perfectly. Just follow the directions i wrote that someone linked to a few posts back.

Basically just use winhex to write all 0's to an SD card.

Then use the clone disk feature in winhex to write the image to the physical (NOT Logical) disk.

Stick the card in the phone, hold down the camera button and plug in the usb cable. It'll tell you to press the down volume button to load the image.

Worked perfectly for me, thanks to the poster!!!

Guest Stjopey
This rom works perfectly.  Just follow the directions i wrote that someone linked to a few posts back.

Basically just use winhex to write all 0's to an SD card.

Then use the clone disk feature in winhex to write the image to the physical (NOT Logical) disk.

Stick the card in the phone, hold down the camera button and plug in the usb cable.  It'll tell you to press the down volume button to load the image.

Worked perfectly for me, thanks to the poster!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just tried to install the new rom into the SD card but i ran into a problem. The demo version of WinHex does not allow you to use the clone disk feature. You guys have another other safe way to do this?

Guest Stjopey
I just tried to install the new rom into the SD card but i ran into a problem. The demo version of WinHex does not allow you to use the clone disk feature.  You guys have another other safe way to do this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just tried using the instructions from the link earlier and it seems to work just fine (did it without winhex):

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=201334

Yes, it's got the cingular guy on boot up!!

Guest infiniverse

Does the AT&T branded SMT5600 have to be SIM unlocked in order to flash it with the Cingular ROM, or will it still just require the AT&T SIM?