Cutting through the C550 rumours...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Pondrew

I wouldn't say the C550 is any less of a progression then the SPV E100 was over the original SPV.

The E100 offered a different screen technology and nothing else. Sound familiar?

Funnily enough there is probably far more difference between the C500 and C550 then between the SPV and SPV E100. You can be damn sure they won't both run on the same rom, unlike the SPV/SPV E100.

Besides, couldn't it be that Orange will continue to sell both? As in the C550 would be the equivalent of the SDA Music while the C500 remains the equivalent of an SDA...

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Two points.

1) So late in the life of Windows Mobile 2003 SE I wouldn't be surprised if a Windows Mobile 2005 rom was to be released (officially or not) that could be installed on the HTC Hurricane. It happened with the MPX200 with Windows Mobile 2003 and the HTC Typhoon has already been shown to work with Windows Mobile 2005...

2) Have you seen the previews of Windows Mobile 2005? Very little has changed!

At the end of the day this 'should' be better then the C500 (leaving aside preferences for or against the joystick over the direction pad) for at least two reasons:

1.3meg camera

QVGA

We also know now that the hardware in the screen is improved although not utilised.

Anyway, I'll sign off by suggesting people should wait until the device is out and reviewed before writing it off. And I'd remind you that most of ya didn't like the C500 before it came out ;)

Guest Paul [MVP]

Why tho Pagemakers, what is in WM5 that you want?

I have WM5, and WM2003SE, and right now, some things in WM5 are pissing me off more than the benefits :D

Example: To unlock keypad, you need to press Menu-* now, not menu-#. WHY Microsoft ;)

Example: The new grid view sucks IMHO, and when you change it back to the old style, 9 is an actual item, and left soft key is more. Hmmm...

;)

P

Guest Pagemakers

To lock the keypad.....I just press and hold end call - not sure what you mean about menu *?

I guess I'm just on the lookout for something new.... I realise WM5 is not an evolution but....

Although I'm not a traitor I'm tempted by 6680, but the phone looks like pants.

Guest Pagemakers

RTFQ ;)

Pity about WM5. I was expecting more too, like a "delete all" option for the inbox, blah blah blah.

So the C600 - is that truth or rumour?

Guest commonpersonjustlykeverybody

well, i kinda like the looks of the c550. but not the features, it's rubbish. hey, just be innovative and use all your imaginations(to all manufacturers).

Samsung has got a very nice phone - Samsung i300(hdd phone) that's a breakthrough. nice couple of added features, and the looks is pretty good. =D>

for me, i won't buy that c550. it's just a waste of money.

Guest guanche
The bottom line is: Orange SPV C550 is not worth buying due to outdated software, that powers it.

That's just a great conclusion, with no real backing of their statement. :?:

The point is, most people who are not completely absorbed by getting the latest smartphone (like me; still middling around with my cool :D SPV classic) and thus don't have the C500 @home.

Now my contract is running out and I must get a new one... should I buy it.

(just to give in another perspective.. ;) )

Guest pierre
well, i kinda like the looks of the c550. but not the features, it's rubbish. hey, just be innovative and use all your imaginations(to all manufacturers).

Samsung has got a very nice phone - Samsung i300(hdd phone) that's a breakthrough. nice couple of added features, and the looks is pretty good.  =D>

for me, i won't buy that c550. it's just a waste of money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What else great this phone has apart from the 3 GB memory..?

Guest Tunney
Example: To unlock keypad, you need to press Menu-* now, not menu-#. WHY Microsoft icon_smile.gif

Example: The new grid view sucks IMHO, and when you change it back to the old style, 9 is an actual item, and left soft key is more. Hmmm...

It sounds like Microsoft are copying Nokia. ;)

Personally, I'm waiting for the Samsung i300 too. 3GB HD, WM5 and hopefully much better build quality/aesthetics than the HTC phones.

Guest Y-Wing

I reckon it could be good upgrade from my E200. By this time next year we will have small (unlike the Universal) 3G WM 5.0 devices and I'm pretty sure there will be 3G Symbian :shock: smartphones that will be able to seamlessly Activesync with Outlook (licence agreement earlier this year).

I'll makes my choice then! ;)

Guest ellischaplin

Bearing in mind that my new SPV C500 should arrive tomorrow, I can assure people that the C550 will be beyond everyones expectations!! ... Just my luck!!

Guest drblow

I know I have already asked this, but can anybody who has used one of these phones please post about the apps/games that work on it. I can't understand why this hasn;t been discussed as it is going to be the single most important factor in my decision as to whther or not to get one.

Also, could we get a bit of info about the homescreen. Will it still use xml, plugins etc? And will 3rd party plugins work with the new screen size?

Guest drblow

But Paul mentioned in an earlier post that there are apps that don't work. I'm interested to know about any 3rd party plugins that work or not aswell.

Guest Gears

See the front page story on CoolSmartPhone about the compatibity.. and lack of flash...

AGH!!! That chuffing rotating advert at the top of modaco is getting on my nips... ;)

Oh dear.

Guest mavisdavis
AGH!!! That chuffing rotating advert at the top of modaco is getting on my nips... ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So sign to Plus then and you wont see it :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.