TotW: Change the function of the right soft key

Guest PaulOBrien

i have a windows version 5 mobile so and i cant find any thing related to hkcu so is there anything else i can do to change my right soft key to anything else please help

Guest marco899

I'am trying to get the program rjv sound recorder to set on the record button on my sp5, so that i can record phone calls with one click. Anyone a suggestion how to do this? I have search in the registry for key 121, but without succes.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi marco,

You need to create 2 string values under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Home\Keys\113

1. Default

2. Open

The value for Default would be the text you wish to see in your right soft key. The value for Open on the other hand would be the path of the executable file or shortcut you wished linked.

For example:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Home\Keys\113\Default

Value = Recorder

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Home\Keys\113\Open

Value = "\Windows\Start Menu\RJV Sound.lnk" <--- ensure that you have RJV Sound shortcut inside your Start Menu folder.

To have a clearer picture of my instructions, kindly refer to photo attachment...

snap21657zd.th.jpg

I used...

Compose for Default

"\Storage\windows\Start Menu\Compose New.lnk" for Open

Guest marco899

Thanks for the answer, but that was not my question. The soft button programming was clear for me, but i want the application on the top left button (record button fo voicenotes) asigned to the rjv application. Thus instead of voicenotes to popup, rjv must popup en record Immediately.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi marco,

Reminder: Backup value of 1 before tweaking. Default value (on C550) = :MSPOUTLOOK notes

Try...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSTNOTES\1

Value = "\Storage Card\FOLDER_NAME _HERE\File.exe"

Guest marco899
Hi marco,

Reminder: Backup value of 1 before tweaking. Default value (on C550) = :MSPOUTLOOK notes

Try...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSTNOTES\1

Value = "\Storage Card\FOLDER_NAME _HERE\File.exe"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will try and keep you informed.

Well i have give it a shot and i've got i worked! Not with the key you provided, because you have to copy the application into the windows folder. So Value="Soundrecorder.exe". Terms like Prograam Files or Storage Card won't work. No i only need the register key so that RJV Soundrecorder, start the recording.

Edited by marco899

• 2 weeks later...
Guest michehrlich

Wanting to try some of these tweaks, I tried to install Resco Explorer 2005 on my i-mate SP5. Didn't work -- my phone said the installation failed because the CAB was not compatible with the device.

How did you guys get Resco on your SP5s?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest someone

As I understand, the code for the right soft key is 113. But for some reason, if I change the right key to "new SMS", the enveloppe-button on my Qtek 8310 changes function to "create new sms" too, instead of opening the messages app.

Does anyone know what the code of this specific button might be, so that we can change this button to "new sms" and the right soft key to something else? Then things get interesting..! :)

• 2 months later...
Guest vam2010

EVERYTHING RUN CORRECTLY, BUT WHEN I TURN OFF THE PHONE THE NAME OF THE RIGHT SOFT KEY IS THE SAME: CONTACS, BUT THE APP I HAVE ASIGNED RUNS CORECTLY.

Guest vam2010

I´M TRYING TO INSTALL THE .CAB YOU SAY,BUT AN ERROR HAPPEN. I CAN´T INSTALL THIS .CAB IN MY QTEK 8310. SO I MUST CHANGE MANUALLY EVERYTIME I REBOOT MY PHONE.

THANKS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest 1319987654321
EVERYTHING RUN CORRECTLY, BUT WHEN I TURN OFF THE PHONE THE NAME OF THE RIGHT SOFT KEY IS THE SAME: CONTACS, BUT THE APP I HAVE ASIGNED RUNS CORECTLY.

I just hard reset my phone and got the same problem =[

my bad

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tribblesnl

Maybe the wrong place to ask,

but my right softkey has stopped working a long time ago...

I tried to clean it, but that didn't work. Now for many months I have been able to workaround it but now I need to pair my new BT headset.

Any way of temporarily setting the camera button to function as right softkey??

Thanks...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest junah

Hi,

Pleace can you tell me what can i do for having the original (WM5 Default) "LEFT SOFT KEY" fonction ?

Thanks.

Edited by junah

Guest junah

I 've found a way :

1°) Create a START.LNK file (use notepade or else) with in this key:

00#\windows\appman.exe -s BootApps :MSStart tpcutil.dll AMStart

-See Attached File-

2°) Put this file in a folder (where you want or \ (in my case) )

3°) Go to your favorite Registry editing software :

HKLMachine --> Software --> Microsoft --> Shell --> Rai --> :MSStart

Enter this value into 1 --> "Value Data:"

put the path of the file (for me it's \start.lnk)

regmsstart01bm5.jpg regmsstartlnklo7.jpg

Exit Registry tool.

Now it's ok, i see the menu when pressed left soft key.

Any other way ?

;)

Start.rar

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Not sure if this will also work on WM5. Create an LNK and name it Start.lnk. Use below code:

00#"\Windows\appman.exe" 85

Transfer to phone. Modify registry key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSStart\1

Value Data = "\Path\to\Start.lnk"

Guest junah
Not sure if this will also work on WM5. Create an LNK and name it Start.lnk. Use below code:

00#"\Windows\appman.exe" 85

Transfer to phone. Modify registry key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSStart\1

Value Data = "\Path\to\Start.lnk"

Hi !

Thanks, i've already done this. And i post this tips here but it's seems someone has deleted it. <_<

• 9 months later...
Guest mickliq
TotW: Change the function of the right soft key

This weeks tweak is an absolute corker, and one i've been searching for myself for a while!

The tweak was spotted by pzee, and originally posted by patbisch in our Smartphone Customisation section.

If anyone needs any guidance on editing the registry in order to this tweak, check out any of our previous tweaks in this forum :)

P

Exactly as it sounds... this tweak will change the functionality of the right hand soft key when on the home screen.

It will work with ALL Smartphones (Tanager, Voyager, Typhoon etc!)

Our target path for editing is:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft

Create a key named 'Home' in here ,and then another key named 'Keys', and then ANOTHER key named '113'.

Next, create the following string values:

post-1-1118694879_thumb.jpg

First Value: 'Default'

Value Data: The text you would like on the key ... (GPC on sample screenshot)

Second value: 'Open'

Value data = "PATH OF EXE or LNK FILE" <--- example is "\Windows\tmail.exe" (it is important to enclose them in quotes)

post-1-1118694892_thumb.jpg

There is no need to restart device. Just click on the right soft key, press the Home button, and then you'll see the change!

post-1-1118694913_thumb.jpg

Cool or what? 8)

Great Tip. I had seen it on xda-developers but it wasn't properly explained there in terms of the registry entries (eg that you need two of them). Anyhow, on my Blackjack I running WM6, I had to restart for this to work (the above says you don't need to restart). That fooled me since I thought it wasn't working, when it fact it was.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ladysuki
I know pzee's already done these CABs and posted them somewhere, but I can't find them right now, so the attached are 2 new CABs which...

rSoft_NewSMS_v2.CAB - Sets the right softkey to "New SMS", which opens a new blank SMS

rSoft_Inbox_v2.CAB - Sets the right softkey to "Inbox", which opens your SMS Inbox

Thanks to patbisch for the tweak, and pzee for the help working out how to make CAB files! None of the credit is mine.

hello.. i happened to come across this thread.. but i hit this error saying "The file 'tmail' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file.". But i browsed my Windows folder.. there is indeed tmail inside ahh... pls help pls help.. now my right softkey cannot be used due to this error!!