Orange - Where's the update already?!?

Guest ddieter

Guest usdiver

htc address is http://www.htceurope.com/ hope this helps. Just give them a ring if interested. The person who will probably talk to you will be Tim Morvan he actually emailed me the info, but did say since it wasn't an actual warranty repair, it would be chargeable at £35.00 I'm not in any hurry to spend the money myself, but it does p*** me off as well that orange isn't bothered. I think they are too busy making silly adverts for the cinema that doesn't make any sense rather than try and sort things out to keep customers happy. The eten m500 looks quite nice and I figure if I ever stray from orange's handsets I will most likely go with the eten, or one of imate's devices as they look quite good too. If this doesn't get sorted and orange keep dragging their feet, my next device won't come from orange. It doesn't matter to me where the handset comes from because I'm on o2 anyway. :roll: and before you ask...I don't like o2's range of handsets. They are behind orange, and o2 active that is built into them is a pain. Plus coming on here for gprs settings has not been that bad either once you get used to it. :mrgreen:

Guest csmager

I just got a replacement SPV500 (a button on mine broke after owning it for less than 2 weeks). It has the new ROM on it, so it can't be that far away from release!

Guest mossywell
Hmm, I know we have plenty of reasons to dislike our cheese-eating ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Off topic: Am I the only Englishman that likes the French? Take speed cameras: here, we moan about our right to break the law but do nothing about it (other than moan even more). In France, they just shrug their shoulders and put bags over the cameras. The camera engineers even have the decency to replace the bags after changing the film. Hats off to that. Also, they make Roquefort, the best cheese in the world. :)

...but I think Orange have been owned by French Telecom since before the start of the SPV program?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know when the SPV program started, but IIRC, France Telecom purchased Orange in May 2000.

Guest jporch316

Dont be too harsh - i used to be on vodafone and they dont have any MS smartphones - thats why i switched (sic) to orange

Be cool

New roms not worth the hassle anyway -

grass is always greener on the other side

Hi,

The following may not be very popular and generate a lot of flaming but who cares! Not me... if you can't except someone elses opinion, tough.

It seems to me that a lot of people who flame mobile operators in this thread have obviously never worked in a large organisation and had to work to constantly changing deadlines, delays and stringent processes.

I doubt a ROM update can be thrown together in a matter of days or even weeks before being released to the public.

And if it was, would you rather have been able to use an update 2 months ago (likely full of bugs) based on a rumor or one later with not so many bugs after thorough testing? Basically, it involves months of work, projects, programming, testing, more programming, more QA testing until it's ready to be published following HTC's, Orange and Microsoft's approval (probably involves dozens of people too!), without forgetting all the legal aspects.

Sad to think some people can't live without WMP10 cos that's what it's about isn't it? Do you get up every morning, checking for updates? Do you think you'll be happier then? Get a life!... or just use WMP9!

As someone pointed out, nowhere is it written that they have agreed to support their handsets with future versions (WM5 for example), bug fixes, patches or ROM updates... but they still do. People seem to think they are owed an update. Slagging them off (if they are reading) isn't helping anyone. Would you make an effort to do something for someone if they were slagging you off constantly? i wouldn't...

Would you sue Orange for not releasing the update following a rumour? You could sue MS for not releasing a standalone mobile WMP10 app whilst you're at it! It is a company, and they don't owe you anything but what you have agreed to subscribe to, so just be patient.

Anyway, these are my thoughts.

flame away.

Great site by the way. Great work Paul!

Guest mikey86uk
Hi,

The following may not be very popular and generate a lot of flaming but who cares! Not me... if you can't except someone elses opinion, tough.

It seems to me that a lot of people who flame mobile operators in this thread have obviously never worked in a large organisation and had to work to constantly changing deadlines, delays and stringent processes.

I doubt a ROM update can be thrown together in a matter of days or even weeks before being released to the public.

And if it was, would you rather have been able to use an update 2 months ago (likely full of bugs) based on a rumor or one later with not so many bugs after thorough testing? Basically, it involves months of work, projects, programming, testing, more programming, more QA testing until it's ready to be published following HTC's, Orange and Microsoft's approval (probably involves dozens of people too!), without forgetting all the legal aspects.

Sad to think some people can't live without WMP10 cos that's what it's about isn't it? Do you get up every morning, checking for updates? Do you think you'll be happier then? Get a life!... or just use WMP9!

As someone pointed out, nowhere is it written that they have agreed to support their handsets with future versions (WM5 for example), bug fixes, patches or ROM updates... but they still do. People seem to think they are owed an update. Slagging them off (if they are reading) isn't helping anyone. Would you make an effort to do something for someone if they were slagging you off constantly? i wouldn't...

Would you sue Orange for not releasing the update following a rumour? You could sue MS for not releasing a standalone mobile WMP10 app whilst you're at it! It is a company, and they don't owe you anything but what you have agreed to subscribe to, so just be patient.

Anyway, these are my thoughts.

flame away.

Great site by the way. Great work Paul!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i was on the phone to orange and they said there is nuffing on there computer saying any updates are due

Guest csmager

The point is that phones in the shops have the new ROM. I have just got a replacement from Orange, and it has the new ROM. The French have had the new ROM for a while, and as far as anyone can work out, there aren't really any differences.

They have it ready for release, they're just not releasing!

The point is that phones in the shops have the new ROM.  I have just got a replacement from Orange, and it has the new ROM.  The French have had the new ROM for a while, and as far as anyone can work out, there aren't really any differences.

They have it ready for release, they're just not releasing!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The french ROM is different from the UK ROM, maybe it was easier to update the french one, maybe the UK one didn't have as many bugs as the french one, who knows!?

but it will be released very soon... i hope.

Guest Madeye

What a heated discussion!

Overall I agree with OG (even if his post did scare me a little! :oops: ), the new ROM won't give your phone wings, or any extra limbs for that matter, so just live with the one you have at the moment. It will 'hopefully' come soon, but if it doesn't - just crack open a Stella and relax!

Guest celica1.8st

Got to agree with csmager there. The ROM is ready for release. Warranty repairs are being sent back with the new ROM, and anyone who has tried the leaked ROM can confirm there are no noticeable bugs. I have been running the New ROM for weeks now and it is perfect. My phone used to crash occasionally and did stupid things like making the ringtone volume far too loud so it just breaks up, then you ring it agian to test and it works fine, but the new ROM seems to have fixed that!

Not sure what Orange are playing about with here as they could and should release it

Guest csmager
Got to agree with csmager there. The ROM is ready for release. Warranty repairs are being sent back with the new ROM, and anyone who has tried the leaked ROM can confirm there are no noticeable bugs.

Quite true. Although I agree with some other points too - while I was interested to get the new ROM, and WMP 10 is quite good, I can't really notice any other differences. Although, admittedly, I don't really use all my phone's features!

Guest celica1.8st

Although impressed with Media Player 10 and I did have an initial play with it when I updated the ROM. I haven't actually used it since! What I have noticed though is how much better the phone has been operating. I've had less crashes, less annoying bugs, and less memory errors. I know some of this may be due to having a clean reset - but my phone had those annoying bugs/features from when I got it out of the packet. I've also probably got more stuff installed now since the update

Guest simonbratt99

mikey86, ya deaf? All were asking for is INFORMATIONNNNNNNN

Let us, the buying, supporting public, (who with out, orange wouldnt exist), Know whats going on, who cares if the ROM is out in 1 day or 1 month, just let us know the most likely release date.

PLAIN, SIMPLE and CURTIOUS MANNERS to the customer.

Im fed up with keeping looking, and when it IS finally out, were never be actually 'told' it'll just 'appear' as if by magic. Cheers

Edited by simonbratt99

Guest mupwangle

>>how much better the phone has been operating

I was running the french rom on my old c500 and it was fine. I have noticed on the new phone (4.1.1.4) how many crashes it has. The new rom is so much better.

Guest sSword

strangely the leaked ROM managed to find its way onto my fone :-$

I got sick of waiting, so did my fone :shock:

if your so desperate for the update you may want to do the same (not recommended cos it will invAlidate warranty n ting...)

Guest Arktouros

I still think that the whole situation reminds me a bit of Kafka book. Never the less I agree with Simon that it would be much more courteous to inform us of what will happen when, something like it is most likely to come out around august for example.

I really don’t care about wmp10 us I don’t use my phone as a mp3 player :?: . It is the "minor" things that have been corrected that i am interested in. 8)

Cheers

Guest mossywell

What keeps me entertained about the whole thing is that whenever the subject of the "imminent" UK ROM comes up, the conversation thread flies off in all directions like a game of Asteroids! Like, one person can ask when it's out and within picoseconds, it's flown off into:

- When's the update coming out?

- What does the update do?

- Why the French and not us?

- Why are new phone shipped with the new ROMs?

- Will it invalidate my warranty?

- Is it legal (my personal favourite)?

- Why the lack of information from Orange?

- What's so good about WMP 10?

- What is the colour of diamond dust?

etc etc.

These days, no self-respecting thread that mentions the words "orange", "new" and "rom" is complete without tacking all these questions (and the meaning of life) with a final posting (before everyone gets bored) from an innocent bystander asking "so, when's the update coming out then?".

:)

(PS. Black, according to Trivial Pursuit.)

Guest morpheus2702

I'd say that posts relating to 'UK ROM update' and 'WM5 f***ed up my phone' account for 90% of all new posts at the moment.

Whilst I can appreciate the frustration of those waiting on the UK update, Paul, can't you give us an update as to what you know of the situation and LOCK this thread?!?

Guest mossywell
I'd say that posts relating to  'UK ROM update' and 'WM5 f***ed up my phone' account for 90% of all new posts at the moment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. That and "Can someone please explain how I F**k up my phone with WM5?".

Whilst I can appreciate the frustration of those waiting on the UK update, Paul, can't you give us an update as to what you know of the situation and LOCK this thread?!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps a pinned locked thread that answers all the questions that keep turning up, so that if people then ask, they can be referred to it. IMHO, better than locking individual threads.

Guest Disco Stu

1. Paul on holiday.

2. Orange not giving him any better info than rest of us anyway.

3. I'm very proud to be a member of a forum where Franz Kafka is mentioned in a thread on mobile phone software. 8)

Guest mupwangle

So when's this update coming out then? ;-D

The WM5 ones puzzle me. I understand the first few. Same when the french rom came out and people trying the leaked 4.2.1.1 UK rom - people try things out - but after a couple of days posts started appearing that makes it look like most people trying WM5 on the C500 have made bricks (At least the french and 4.2.1.1 roms seem to work!). Yet loads of posts keep appearing asking how to do it. It's a shame there can't be autoresponders. Someone posts asking how to install WM5, autoresponder reply - Hit it with a hammer - it's quicker. Simple.

If this carries on then I think that someone at Orange will look out of their window and see a mob carrying torches and pitchforks. ;-)

Guest morpheus2702
If this carries on then I think that someone at Orange will look out of their window and see a mob carrying torches and pitchforks. ;-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it won't be because anyone is saying 'It's alive - IT'S ALIVE' after updating to WM5 with their C500s... :)

Guest Disco Stu

I have posted the question of UK availability on the Orange Partners website forum after getting the bum's rush from the basic customer services / data services wallahs.

I'm just nipping out for a pint or ten, but imagine they will have responded with glad tidings of joy by the time I get home.

Or not.

If I get home...