Orange SPV M500 Released!

Guest Dade

A word of warning to anyone who ordered from OSPS around the end of June/beginning of July.  Call them and make sure the order is still live, I called to chase mine, and had to regive my card details, as the order had gone dead

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good grief - please tell me you are joking there... I can't see how they can do that - especially considering that they've already taken the money (albeit it just 1 penny) from credit/debit cards of people who have ordered.

Money has been exchanged for the promise of goods - a contract for sale has therefore been made!

*sigh* I'm waiting for my OSPS order so that my other half can have an M500 - after seeing mine, she decided that she wants one too now - I had kinda hoped that within a week OSPS would've sorted their act out. How silly of me to be so optimistic!

Ah well...

Guest skaramanga

I am on contract with Orange at the min and I have a C500, can I upgrade to an M500 at mobilephoneshop or onestopphoneshop, or do I have to do it thru Orange. What I mean is can these companies handle the whole upgrade process, or are they only for starting new contracts?

Thanks

Guest RazorD
I am on contract with Orange at the min and I have a C500, can I upgrade to an M500 at mobilephoneshop or onestopphoneshop, or do I have to do it thru Orange.  What I mean is can these companies handle the whole upgrade process, or are they only for starting new contracts?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of them do allow upgrades, but its MUCH easier to go with orange direct.

Also, I got a "SPV C500" car charger from the Swindon Store this morning, it works fine on the M500 :)

Guest jclivingston

Blimey - I've actually got my M500

Phoned OCS on Wednesday night and was told that there was no chance of an upgrade. Phoned again on Thursday morning and the went upgrade was handled without any aggro. Phone turned up this morning.

Sweet device - but takes a bit of getting used to given the absence of a keyboard.

Guest skaramanga

I phoned O there now. My contract isn't up until November :-({|= . They said it would be a £75 upgrade fee and £99 for phone if I wanted to upgrade now. I didn't. They said in Nov the phone will be free anyway and no upgrade fee. Will be hard to wait that long.

Just got the M500 agreed with as a free upgrade from Orange, will be with me on Monday. Well impressed. Told me I should keep my current phone too Sony ericsson k700i!

Anyway, want to buy a wifi SD card. Which is best?

The ebuyer one or the expansys one? Does the ebuyer one have a dangling antennae!?

Cheers

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=89714

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=121110

Guest RazorD
Just got the M500 agreed with as a free upgrade from Orange, will be with me on Monday. Well impressed.  Told me I should keep my current phone too Sony ericsson k700i!

Anyway, want to buy a wifi SD card. Which is best?

The ebuyer one or the expansys one? Does the ebuyer one have a dangling antennae!?

Cheers

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=89714

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=121110

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the ebuyer one, works really well :) and no dangling antenna :D

Guest sleighty

ReeeeeeeSULT!! :)

At last I got through to someone who will give me a free upgrade :D

Should be here Monday or Tuesday.

Gonna be a looooong weekend.

Keep trying all you guys who haven't got what you want/deserve. Good luck.

Wiseman says "He who turns his back on loyal customers deserves a beating"

Orange made me happy today! 8)

Guest Flash
I have the ebuyer one, works really well :) and no dangling antenna :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Going slightly off-topic here, but these cards are completely new to me. What speeds do they transfer data at? I assume they are faster than the GPRS?

Guest zippy172
Ditto !

Although, for a laugh, I might try and extract the urine 1 day into my last month and tell O I'm off to T-Mob (like so many others have)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well.. I rang Orange earlier... Got through to some geezer in upgrades. Said I was interested in upgrading my C500...Geezer asked what I wanted, duly said M500.

He said as my contract isn't up for renewal until 31st August (which I already knew), there would be a £75+VAT charge.

As my talkplan is now only the Talk60 (dropped from the t-mob equiv of Talk200) the M500 would actually be £199.99.

At which point I thanked him, then promptly hung up laughing my socks off...

I might call again over the weekend, explain I've been a customer for nine years, their ads suggest old customers should be getting the same deal as newbies, threaten to leave to T-Mob et al, see where that gets me...

Guest jackofall
Well.. I rang Orange earlier... Got through to some geezer in upgrades.  Said I was interested in upgrading my C500...Geezer asked what I wanted, duly said M500.

He said as my contract isn't up for renewal until 31st August (which I already knew), there would be a £75+VAT charge.

As my talkplan is now only the Talk60 (dropped from the t-mob equiv of Talk200) the M500 would actually be £199.99.

At which point I thanked him, then promptly hung up laughing my socks off...

I might call again over the weekend, explain I've been a customer for nine years, their ads suggest old customers should be getting the same deal as newbies, threaten to leave to T-Mob et al, see where that gets me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rang orange on Monday or Tuesday and got the £75 upgrade fee and £99.99 handset price ...............

..... rang back today and tried again guy on the phone said the same I mentioned in passing it was free on tmobile didn't say i was leaving. Moaned a little about being customer for a while and and monthly spend he said he couldnt do anything for me but hed speak to retentions for me

Hay presto free handset no upgrade cost :) looks like persistance is the key with OCS

I am on talk200 and my contract didnt run out until august 26th

Guest RazorD
Going slightly off-topic here, but these cards are completely new to me.  What speeds do they transfer data at?  I assume they are faster than the GPRS?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About 662 times faster, (theoretically, never really that high :))

Guest zippy172

Stupid question alert...

Looking at the specs for the Magician on T-Mob, they claim this thing doesn't have predictive text... Correct? Yay or Nay?

Guest RazorD
Stupid question alert...

Looking at the specs for the Magician on T-Mob, they claim this thing doesn't have predictive text... Correct?  Yay or Nay?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh, it does.. really. It has a "Phone Dialer" pad which you can use just like T9 on a phone... i've got too used to the 'Transcriber' to wanna switch to it, though :)

-Raz

Guest Flash
About 662 times faster, (theoretically, never really that high :D)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Blimey, that's fast :shock: Thanks for the response RazorD - I've just ordered one from e-buyer :)

Guest RazorD
Blimey, that's fast  :shock:    Thanks for the response RazorD - I've just ordered one from e-buyer  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously, it depends what you're doing... If you're online, then it'll only run as fast as your internet connection (unless you have more than 11mbps internet, which i dont think is possible in the UK :D), But if you're talking to shared folders on the PC, then it *could* be at the full 11mbps.

Guest zippy172

Result !! The geezer I spoke to (name begins with Gr) was kinda helpful I think... Initial speil was me wanting to uprage to the M500 on my pitiful Talk60 tariff, got told the blower is 199.99 (as was the case yesterday), told them I made a balls up on changing my tariff the other night and actually wanted the talk200 jobby... He then goes on to say the phone is then 99.99 on that tariff, and at which point I say "well, on the t-mobile site they are doing them for free", Gr then says "and that's what you're supposed to tell me" pmpl... So, he then goes on to say that he doesn't have the powers to sort it out for me but knows a dept that does, retentions. Puts me on hold for a few mins listening to some pretty groovy tunes (to be fair), then says because I'm not in my final month I'd still have to pay that dreaded 75 quid plus vodka and tonic, or, wait until the 31st July to upgrade for free...

Guess what I'm doing? :)

Edited by zippy172

Guest samandiain
Blimey, that's fast  :shock:    Thanks for the response RazorD - I've just ordered one from e-buyer  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may already know this, but a wifi card will only help you when you have access to a wireless network.

If you're out and about, you'll still need to use GPRS as standard.

anybody got good recomendations for a GPS/navigation system to go with an M500?

Guest Cantona
You may already know this, but a wifi card will only help you when you have access to a wireless network.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TomTom Navigator 5 all the way.

Anybody got Skype working with the wifi cards yet? Do they work with WPA?

Guest Confused Stu

Samandiain - I disagree with having to use GPRS when you're out and about. Go for a walk round your local estate with your WiFi switched on and see how many unsecured networks you can connect to! Came in very handy when my adapter broke - I had a choice of three of my neighbours ones I could connect to! :)

Before you all cry foul, yes I had told each of them before that they needed to set up security, but people never seem to actually get round to it. :roll:

Guest Flash

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, thanks for that. I've got the general gist of this Wifi, but certainly didn't realise, as Confused Stu pointed out, that you could literally walk past houses with unsecured networks and get a connection. That is scary... :shock:

Confused Stu - did you tell them that you accessed their connections after you'd done it?

Guest Confused Stu

I did mention to one that I'd been using his connection for two days. He laughed. I tried to explain that someone with more knowledge than me might be able to read the signal from his PC to his connection (so could harvest anything he types in, credit card number anyone?) he just said I should talk to his son next time he visits - he's the one who understands computers!

I think that's the problem - a lot of people assume it's all going to be too complicated for them, so never even try to see if it actually is. It's so infuriating when the solution can be so simple (such as telling the router not to broadcast the SSID).

Anyway, back on topic - on Thursday I ordered my M500, screen protector, 2Gb SD card, and WiFi card. Today the two cards turned up, but I've got no new toy to try them in!!! Hurry up M500!!!! :)

Guest Cantona
Yes, thanks for that.  I've got the general gist of this Wifi, but certainly didn't realise, as Confused Stu pointed out, that you could literally walk past houses with unsecured networks and get a connection.  That is scary...  :shock:

Confused Stu - did you tell them that you accessed their connections after you'd done it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's also incredibly easy to hack WEP and even WPA-PSK keys. Have a look at www.remote-exploit.org. They have a bootable Linux CD called "Auditor" that has all the tools. Make sure you keep checking the access logs on your WLAN router!!

Guest RazorD
TomTom Navigator 5 all the way.

Anybody got Skype working with the wifi cards yet? Do they work with WPA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Skype works on it perfectly, and i'm using WPA :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.