Orange SPV M500 Released!

Guest Dade

Guest davem
Link to the M500 on tha UK Orange business website:

http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...d=1044128763314

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dade, looking at that link it says that the memcard slot is miniSD, whereas other reports state it as SD. I was just about to order an SDIO ram/wi-fi card for use in this phone, could you confirm which format is actually used? Thanks in anticipation.

Guest Dade
Dade, looking at that link it says that the memcard slot is miniSD, whereas other reports state it as SD.  I was just about to order an SDIO ram/wi-fi card for use in this phone, could you confirm which format is actually used?  Thanks in anticipation.

Its a regular SD slot. A lot of the details Orange have posted about the phone are incorrect!

post-2168-1120215145_thumb.jpg

My husband works at OSPS doing web stuff. I'm trying to get him to confirm they've got stock ready to go because if they have they can get the jump on Orange.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I spoke to them on Wednesday - it was only when pushed really hard that they admitted the phones aren't in stock yet (though that may have changed since Wednesday)

(hi, do you have the M500 in stock yet?

- which tariff do you want?

is it in stock?

- so which tariff do you want?

I haven't decided yet, I just want to know whether it's in stock

- it's on my system, can I take your order?

Can you check whether it's in stock yet please?

- um...err....oh yeah we're just waiting for confirmation from Carphone Warehouse on availability. Which tariff do you want?

so is it in stock?

- um...err...well, it's on its way. But not with us yet

etc etc)

Presumably your husband has nothing to do with their telesales staff :)

Guest Alsicole

No he doesn't. He did say that the site doesn't usually show phones they don't have, at least that's his understanding. I've asked him to try and find out more (not least because I want to order one)!

Guest NikLP
Its a regular SD slot. A lot of the details Orange have posted about the phone are incorrect!

post-2168-1120215145_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hold on a minute, msmobiles were saying it definitely works with a wifi card, and hence is an SDIO slot??

Edit: MS Mobiles M500 review

Edited by NikLP

Guest Dade
Hold on a minute, msmobiles were saying it definitely works with a wifi card, and hence is an SDIO slot??

Misundestanding here - yes it is SDIO, what I meant by it being a regular SD slot is that its NOT miniSD!

Guest jonhitch

Unfortunately we are still none the wiser on when the M500 will be officially released. Like Shakey68 I'd prefer to get through Orange direct - preferably with one of their exclusive online deals!

Has anyone managed to get a date out of them? Middle of July, start of August?

Dade - quality pics .. I'm drooling (very sad!)

Guest Dade
Unfortunately we are still none the wiser on when the M500 will be officially released. Like Shakey68 I'd prefer to get through Orange direct - preferably with one of their exclusive online deals!

Has anyone managed to get a date out of them? Middle of July, start of August?

Dade - quality pics .. I'm drooling (very sad!)

How about another then:

post-2168-1120218032_thumb.jpg

Guest jonhitch

Impressive - the Silver/Titanium colour is very impressive! I prefer this to the iMate JAM and equivalent. Most people seem to think the opposite!

Guest MitchellO
Hold on a minute, msmobiles were saying it definitely works with a wifi card, and hence is an SDIO slot?

Guys, this is the same as the iMate Jam/XDA II mini. All the specs of the phone will be the same. Yes, it is SDIO compatible. This is just the magician in a new case.

I like the edited version I did of this phone a while back, in another M500 thread before it was released:

post-112043-1120219441_thumb.jpg

Edited by MitchellO

Guest NikLP

Any chance of some pics of this unit with stuff plugged in?

I would like to see what happens to the port cover when the phones are in, likewise how big it is with the WiFi card inserted.

What sort of size are the 'virtual' buttons on the screen when typing phone numbers?

Does it look like a big phone or a small PDA? (compared to using something like a XDA/M1000, which look kinda odd)

When will this headache end so I can get my new phone? GAAAAA!`

Guest MitchellO

Same as on mine: One of the T9 text input, on of the dialer pad, and one with my Sandisk WiFi

post-112043-1120220448_thumb.jpg

post-112043-1120220488_thumb.jpg

post-112043-1120220518_thumb.jpg

post-112043-1120221393_thumb.jpg

Edited by MitchellO

Guest Dade
Any chance of some pics of this unit with stuff plugged in?

I would like to see what happens to the port cover when the phones are in, likewise how big it is with the WiFi card inserted.

What sort of size are the 'virtual' buttons on the screen when typing phone numbers?

Does it look like a big phone or a small PDA? (compared to using something like a XDA/M1000, which look kinda odd)

When will this headache end so I can get my new phone? GAAAAA!`

Here is a pic of the phonepad on screen. Ill sort one out of the USB plugged in shortly.

I dont have one of the Mini WiFi cards yet!

post-2168-1120220673_thumb.jpg

is it at all feasible to use the 'virtual T9' one-handed, tapping away at the screen with a thumb? the one thing holding me back from the M500 is whether it's just going to be too awkward to use as a phone - if so, the C550 beckons...

Guest Dade
is it at all feasible to use the 'virtual T9' one-handed, tapping away at the screen with a thumb?  the one thing holding me back from the M500 is whether it's just going to be too awkward to use as a phone - if so, the C550 beckons...

Totally, I walk to and from work and can easily use the T9 to text and email while on the hoof!

Guest MitchellO

Yeah, I use it one handed with T9 a lot. It isn't really awkward, but you just loose the tactile feedback of buttons.

It is a very small (but not too small) PDA, and a good sized phone. You can safely hold it to your head without looking weird. It is smaller than many of the less featured Nokia Smartphones.

Guest davem

Just received an email from OSPS, so it looks as if they haven't received their stock as of yet. Hopefully it won't be too long.

With regards to your recent order, I am afraid that I have to inform you

this particular model is temporarily out of stock.

At this point we do not have an exact date for delivery to our

warehouse. However, as soon as the handsets arrive in to stock we will

try to process your order for delivery to you normally for the next day

and you will receive a confirmation e-mail.

Again please accept my apologies for the delay and thank you for your

patience.

Guest jonhitch

Dade - one question I have about the M500 is what your opinions are about this compared to the iMate JAM? I know they are identical in specification but what about design and useability?

I notice that with the USB plugged in you have to move a flap out of the way. i can see the benefit of having these flaps/covers however do they just get in the way? I remember reading a comparative review that explained how a number of JAM accessories wouldn't fit/work with the M500.

Eagerly awaiting the review :)

Guest rameses

Dade, another question (sorry about this).

Is the SD card slot in the top the only slot for a memory card? I'm just concerned that if I had any apps stored on a memory card then I wouldn't be able to use them if I had a WiFi card in (and vice versa).

I wish Orange would pull their finger out and get this on general release, I'm due for an upgrade in a few weeks and really want an M500.

Guest Dade
Dade - one question I have about the M500 is what your opinions are about this compared to the iMate JAM? I know they are identical in specification but what about design and useability?

I notice that with the USB plugged in you have to move a flap out of the way. i can see the benefit of having these flaps/covers however do they just get in the way? I remember reading a comparative review that explained how a number of JAM accessories wouldn't fit/work with the M500.

Eagerly awaiting the review  :)

In practical terms there really isnt any difference between the Jam and the M500. The difference really is just cosmetic. Personally I like the design of the M500 better than the Jam, I prefer the squarer look and the 'titanium' colour case is nicer than the silver grey of the Jam. But this is just my opinion!

The rubber flap on the bottom, while I can understand why its there, is really annoying. Im defo getting rid of it, its not like I work in a dirty environment where its going to matter.

Im sure that a Jam docking cradle wont work on the M500 becasue of the difference in shape.

Guest Dade
Dade, another question (sorry about this).

Is the SD card slot in the top the only slot for a memory card? I'm just concerned that if I had any apps stored on a memory card then I wouldn't be able to use them if I had a WiFi card in (and vice versa).

I wish Orange would pull their finger out and get this on general release, I'm due for an upgrade in a few weeks and really want an M500.

There is only one SD card slot on the device which means that if you want to use the WiFi you will have to remove the memory card, unless you get one of the SDIO WiFi cards with memory on them too. Im not sure if these work on the M500 but they sure as hell dont on the M1000!

There is some internal memory on the M500, only 64mb of which you can use about 57mb. I tend to install everything to the SD card though but if you had things that you need at the same time as WiFi you should be able to get a few apps on the phone's internal memory!

Guest Behold

Ok I spoke to a girl in the Corporate area and she did me a favour and the phone is in the to buy section altho not released meaning it IS definatly coming out on domestic.

it also is unknown when but they have been told latest is first week in august but more likely within 2 weeks.

I belive stock is one issue for the delay.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.