End of "Free" GPRS

Guest Shane

Guest PhilA
I think I have lost the plot here.  Help me out.

What real purposes have you guys found for using GPRS on the SPV that would justify paying these extortionate prices to Orange from May?

Obviously you all have PCs that, hopefully, have bigger screens and faster connections and I just can't for the life of me find a real, justifiable purpose for GPRS Internet connection at these prices and speeds on a small-screen phone.

I would TRUTHFULLY like to have some serious, constructive replies, not just invective, as I am having a failure to identify worthwhile applications for this.

I use my phone a great deal as a modem to my notebook computer, as I am out and about a fair bit during the week. Before I got my SPV, I had a T68i and paid for a 10MB/Month GPRS account, and will probably go to the 15MB/Month (or possibly the unlimited business GPRS bundle) in May. OK, so it's expensive, but not as expensive as dialling out from a hotel room using a modem, or even using dialup over the mobile phone.

For me, GPRS brings a real business benefit, so I don't mind paying for it, but if I was paying for it for personal use only, I don't think I'd bother.

Guest boutros

Question... may deserve a seperate topic? Will Orange be providing any means of measuring how many bytes/Mbs you are using. I know you can pay for a piece of software to do this, but I think that they should provide that service!

Guest recoil

not sure how this will affect people but....

I have borrowed a friends SPV for a few months until my contract is up for renewal.. I rang orange last night and asked for a GPRS bundle to be added to my phone and the only one I was offered was 10meg per month for £4, free for the first 3 months.

Guest Coolboy1982

yes but this 4 pound promotion is not available for the spv or so they say!

maybe you could try though and just not tell them you have an spv!

Guest abamara

Honest John, even when I do get home I never get to sit in front of a pc or laptop. I am actually enjoying having my emails on the go so I could reply to the really pressing ones. I suppose it depends on your circumstances really. And having all those hyperlinks on the emails available by just clicking...........(sighs)

I think I'll stay on the 2Mb rate tho for financial reasons. Or I'll downgrade my tariff and use the 4Mb gprs pack. We'll see...

Guest abamara
"]I'm thinking about an 'Elite' Rank for anyone that's posted over 2000 posts... nearly there abamara ;)

P

:lol:

Paul, methinks you and Mono should start all over when you hit the 2K post. Gives us all a head start!

Guest recoil
yes but this 4 pound promotion is not available for the spv or so they say!

maybe you could try though and just not tell them you have an spv!

Orange have me listed as having a T100, as this is a borrowed SPV.... but they sent me the SPV Updates to the Sim as thats what I requested....

Guest Firaas
"]My thoughts exaclty, I think mono is eager to reach 2k :lol:

Indeed. Pointless posts... I think that deserves a zeroing of postcount :( ;)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Back on topic....

;p

I will go for £2/4mb.... Assuming it works in that way, why cant they just measure how much you use and charge accordingly?

Guest Firaas

I don't see what the problem is with them continuing on a £6/10mb basis.

A few people would obviously go over, and this gives them the extra money. Besides, they can't have lost THAT much from the promotion over the last 5 months.

Guest superkingdave

they would get so many customers if they just extended the promotion. i dont have a land line as i am at uni so i really need my unlimited gprs

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Mono, they'd rather you bought capacity that you don't use, rather than charging you for what you do use!

The very reason i am not a sales monkey.

Guest simon11

Is it really unlimited at the moment. The information on the Orange web site states This:-

Conditions of Use

The Promotional Data Service provides access via GPRS, subject to a fair usage policy as set out below, to the Internet, email and WAP whilst in the UK. Any access to these services outside the UK will be charged at Orange standard International rates.

SMS Text Messaging or Photo Messaging cannot be sent using your Promotional Data Service.

Subscribers connecting to the Promotional Data Service after the 28 October 2002 will benefit from the remainder of the 6-month promotional period. The Promotional Data Service will be withdrawn from all subscribers at midnight on the 30 April 2003 regardless of when You subscribed to the Promotional Data Service.

The monthly charge of £6.00 for the Promotional Data Service is in addition to all other service plan charges which must include one core voice tariff i.e. your plan 30. The charges are payable in advance and will be added to your Orange account each month.

The Promotional Data Service will be activated automatically on connection or registration of an upgrade. However, the first months subscription may be adjusted according to your billing date and the monthly charge, where applicable, will be reduced on a pro rata basis.

The Promotional Data Service may be deactivated at any time during the promotion by giving at least 5 days notice before your billing date.

The Promotional Data Service is not available in conjunction with any other data access pack and/or service.

The Promotional Data Service is subject, at all times, to a fair usage policy as set out below.

Orange reserves the right to request that subscribers exceeding the limits set out below reduce their usage. In the event that usage continues to exceed these limits, Orange may at its discretion remove the Promotional Data Service from your account and refuse to allow reconnection to this service.

Currently high usage of the Promotional Data Service is defined as 10MB.

The above limits are subject to change and we will publicise any changes on orange.co.uk

Guest scaryscotsman

AH!!!!!!!! :lol:

I just got my bill in from Orange. They have charged me for GPRS access at normal rates. For £15.8059Mb it cost me 96.59 before the VAT! :shock: One swift call later and they have apologised for not setting up the SPV access pack. Still means I have to pay the bill this month. Still, next months bill will seem cheaper.......... :evil:

Guest Firaas
Still means I have to pay the bill this month.

How do you pay?

If you pay by direct debit, your bank is legally liable to give you a full refund of the full amount withdrawn from your bank by Orange this month.

Well, as a leisure user turned business user, my consumption has been a steady 15 meg a month since I worked out what I was doing. I think the potential of this is immense. Orange's problem may be that 3G will revolutionise the data charges, but I think that they should continue with around £10/month unlimited. I'd bloody well pay it. I reckon more and more useful things will become available via WAP sites. I don't want to think about how much I'm using the net - that's why I have the big bundle call-who-you-like phone package - so I don't have to worry.

Regular uses are Hotmail (diverts from my work mail, Yellow Pages (all the time), Transport for London (TFL), I would use Kizoo (Rail times) if it was usable, Orange for news (good site), the map site from the Born Sloppy site ... any other good sites, please let me know (while the GPRS is free).

Also, for week, we have all adopted MSN messenger. This is BRILLIANT on the SPV - extensive text conversation for free (for the moment!).

Please, please Orange, make this more affordable. I will definitely stop using the GPRS anywhere near as much if this plan is in place when my package ends (End of May?)