End of "Free" GPRS

Guest Shane

Guest Coolboy1982
Please, please Orange, make this more affordable. I will definitely stop using the GPRS anywhere near as much if this plan is in place when my package ends (End of May?)

Exactly!

Maybe we should all sign a petition...

Although it would probably achieve nothing, cause they'd reply that they

have only just cut the costs of gprs bundles a few weeks ago.

I guess we will have to wait until UMTS or other highspeed services are

broadly used, so that orange has to try to seriously compete with that.

Guest FragMeister

I have just checked on the Orange website to see what would happen if I tried to go through the process of buying an SPV today (04/04/03). It came up with the £6 SPV Promotion pack as a mandatory option under the Your Plan Additional Services, but when I clicked on the "?" to see more information, it then came up with the original message about only being available until the end of March.

Is this Orange being slow to change their website and that is why it added the SPV pack, or do you think that Orange have decided to extend the £6/month offer??

-- rumours can easily become fact. Just look at the war in Iraq.

Guest dangallo

I heard from one of my friends that Orange are going to be keeping the £6 a month deal for GPRS as long as no more than 10 or 12MB is used. He spoke to one of the OCS people apparently.

I haven't phoned them up to see if this is true or not.

Anyone heard anything about this? :?

Guest simon11

I think Orange would make more money by doing this. I think most will jack it in if the offer ends. I have not heard any other rumours though.

Guest Gorskar

Hm, last month I didn't use anywhere near the 10Mb limit.

So I will be perfectly happy on the £2 bundle (=1meg) or possibly the £4 bundle (=2meg)

however If Orange extend the £6 SPV offer I may keep it, as I am now finding more uses for GPRS. A better IE would up my GPRS usage considerably, as right now its still fairly painful to navigate sites with large tables or pictures, and there is no support for frames, CSS or anything other than very limited javascript.

Guest drblow

Just found this thread & thought I'd add that about a week ago a girl on the orange helpdesk told me that at the end of April the current GPRS bundle promotion will end, but that it will be immediately replaced by a new package which would either be the same or cheaper for the usual 10mb limit.

Should've got it in writing?

Guest FragMeister

i have just called O and a billing representative said that at the end of April we will be put onto GPRS#2 which is £4/month and gives 2mb (with over usage charged at £3/mb).

If any of these rumours of the £6 for 10mb can be substantiated they had better tell O cos they dont seem to know about it!

Guest Firaas
It did say in the T&Cs that after April you will be put on a regular plan at either the same or lower monthly cost.

The T&C's were very ambiguous - they said that the plan would be based upon our usage during the promotional period, and it would be equal to or lower than what we're paying now. Both statements can't go together unless they're offering £6 for 10meg...

Guest rhaleuk

I was in an Orange shop yesterday and the guy in there said there was talk of another "unlimited" scheme being introduced since the surrent good offer was ending. However he was very keen to stress that nothing was final and it was merely beeing talked about. In a mildly related note he suggested that for my needs after a good chat with him I should go on Talk 60 £19 and GPRS7 £15. Seemed fair enough but I dont want to buy a SPV now and the version come out in a month! Any more news on this?

Guest rocknsock2k

i think untill 3g comes out were all gonna be frustrated with the slow connection which limits how long my patience hold to use gprs

I received a letter from O last week that said I will be put on the GPRS2 package at the end of April. The only good thing about these new GPRS deals is that unused data credits can be rolled over into the next month.

Now if only they would keep the £6/month 'unlimited' deal ...

Solo

Guest FragMeister

My billing cycle runs from 12th - 11th of the month, so my bill just raised includes the period up to the 11th May.

In the Service Plan element, the SPV Promotion Pack 12 Apr - 11 May has been charged for the full billing period, at a cost of £5.11(net = £6.00 gross)

I can only infer from this that the SPV Promotion Pack has been extended.

Also, there is no mention on by bill of the GPRS-2mb Bundle charges from 1st May onwards.

The other possiblity is that people who have a billing date within the month get the SPV pack until the end of that billing period. If this is the case, I wish my bills were raised on 30th of the month!

I asked the guy from orange at the SPV Fanfest and he reckoned the £6 deal would continue after April. He seemed suprised that I hadn't had a letter already confirming this as he had already received one.

This is starting to get confusing - like I said in my earlier post, I have already received a letter from O confirming that the SPV promotion is coming to an end and that I will be put on the GPRS#2 pack in May.

Now you say that an O rep has said that the promotion will continue beyond April ...

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh - what's going on? What is O playing at?

Solo

Guest djthorp
My billing cycle runs from 12th - 11th of the month, so my bill just raised includes the period up to the 11th May.  

In the Service Plan element, the SPV Promotion Pack 12 Apr - 11 May has been charged for the full billing period, at a cost of £5.11(net = £6.00 gross)

I can only infer from this that the SPV Promotion Pack has been extended.  

Also, there is no mention on by bill of the GPRS-2mb Bundle charges from 1st May onwards.

The other possiblity is that people who have a billing date within the month get the SPV pack until the end of that billing period. If this is the case, I wish my bills were raised on 30th of the month!

My billing cycle is the same as yours and I have also been billed for the SPV pack for the whole month.

A mate of mine will seriously be hoping it will be extended methinks as she uses MSN on my SPV all the time (not to mention drives my GPRS usage up and well over the 10MB but I still dont get charged so wont complain yet)

Guest superkingdave

i totally understand that. i continualy get people asking me if they can check theyre hotmail on my phone and it gets a bit annoying when to many people ask but still if it doesnt cost anything then thats ok. really hoping that the pack continues as i find it hard to stop myself from going on the internet for long periods when i an travelling which is quite a lot