C500 Rom Bug

Guest Lammypie

Guest Fizz_daz

Mines the same to. Tried everything to make it stay. it seems to revert istelf to 654321 whenever I go out of network receoption and then comes back in...

Guest jporch316

are there different versions of the same rom with slight differences - its the only thing i can think of.

Im gonna try downloading the new rom again and reinstalling - although its depressing me to think ive got to get new license keys for everything.

Oh - i should have listened to my self and left the old rom on

Guest steve_smith
Mines the same to. Tried everything to make it stay. it seems to revert istelf to 654321 whenever I go out of network receoption and then comes back in...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My old phone (as I posted a few days ago) was blighted by this problem.

However, yesterday I managed to bust the phone (somehow managed to put a big crack in the screen by leaning on something with it in my pocket). Thanks to the wonder of Orange Care, a man has just delivered me what looks like a brand new C500. It certainly has the new ROM installed (well, it's running Windows Media Player 10, so I guess so). However, the answer machine number is set correctly, and even switching the phone on and off doesn't break it.

So I guess that proves it's nothing to do with SIM cards...

The only thing I can think of is that I had SIM unlocked (using the free method) the old phone prior to flashing the new ROM. Perhaps it's something to do with that?

Steve.

Guest jporch316

UPDATE

downloaded the rom image again from orange site

reflashed phone with image

same problem with answerphone although battery life seems to be a lot better

Back to the drawing board

Guest kxraw

Hi there, i am new here, maybe i can help,

I have not such problem, I use the latest update for C500 (qtek8010) from QTek NU/SE

Try downloading it from :

http://www.qtek.nu/files/qtek%208010.2.2.32.11.zip

or the "just before" update :

http://www.qtek.nu/files/qtek%208010.2.1.32.11.zip

you can either use qtek.nu or qtek.se

be aware that this upgrade needs to edit the "nk.nbf" with TyphoonNBFTools

Your phone MUST be "application unlocked" AND "operator unlocked".

Before trying to "operator unlock" with SPV-Services, You MUST "Application unlock" your phone with Orange program for example (or ResetRAPIPolicy.exe or SmatiOne or "Disable Security" prog)

Look at :

http://developer.orangews.com/orgspv/comdefq.aspx

for english spoken "application unlock" page,

and here :

http://developer.orangews.com/orgspv/comdefqfr.aspx

for french "application unlock" page

It's free, fill in the form with IMEI AND Phone number (international way with "+", forget about your real name etc..) and you will receive a SMS that you will allow to execute a program which will permit to "application unlock" the phone.

Once "application unlocked", you can use SPV-Sevice to "operator unlock" your phone or use TyphoonNBFTools to edit ROM header.

Dont put anything in the operator field while editing ROM Header (leave Blank)

Read the faq and the previous post to operate these change on your ORANGE phone.

Good luck.

NOTA:

Be aware that you will do these manipulations at your own risk ! if you read carefully FAQs, go to itsme home page to download required stuffs, have also a look at spv-developpers.com site.

If you want to backup your actual ROM look at the forum for "SD backup" BUT it could not work because of the bootloader.

DO NOT do anything fancy with ROM or else you could damage your phone permanently and this would not be covered by warranty.

Last trick : google IS your friend, read twice and confirm what you have read from other sources, read the FAQs and RTFM ;-)

Guest Griff_FFOC

Spoke with Orange today and got a very abrupt woman on the phone who didn't verify who I even was, and then when I explained the problem just told me she'd send me a sim update. I asked whether it would matter which phone I had as she hadn't even asked and I hadn't told her, and she snapped 'no'.

Needless to say the SIM update appeared to do nothing at all.

Rang them back and spoke to a helpful woman who couldn't find information on their electronic boards, or on their computer systems about the problem. She has escalated it to their technical department and i'll let you know what they say. But I'm guessing it involves reflashing the phone.

Anyone tried reflashing the same new ROM over itself, or indeed hard resetting the latest ROM. I've not done that since i've updated it as i'd have to install my software a third time.

Guest jporch316

Yep - I even downloaded the rom image again in case there were subtle differences

I flashed it and the first boot had the full answerphone no - i rebooted it and all i had was a plus sign.

Guest Disco Stu
Anyone tried reflashing the same new ROM over itself, or indeed hard resetting the latest ROM. I've not done that since i've updated it as i'd have to install my software a third time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the problem and I hard-reset the phone straight after the ROM update.

I doubt reinstalling the update or hard-resetting again would help.

Guest Pondrew

Really wierd. Had a play with my Dad's C500 which has the 4.2.1.1 rom on it (the latest one that you all have). We had to manually input the T-Mobile voicemail number in it as he has a T-Mobile sim in it. Anyway, no matter how many times I soft reset it it won't lose the number nor change it.

So no sign of the bug on our C500 with that rom. As manually setting it worked for us. But then you've tried that... could it be an anti Orange bug?! :)

Only other possibility is possession... ;)

Guest djfuego
It looks like it is due to the SIM. when you select "Call options" it says it is retrieving settings from the network. I've tried everything including being sent a SIM update.

The problem seems to have disappeared after inserting a different Orange SIM though.

You may also have to go to call options, enter +447973100123 select done and turn your handset off to apply the settings.

After doing all this, it appears to retain the correct settings.

Let me know.

chhers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I called Orange ;)

Orange have confirmed it 'Could be a problem with their network' they have reached double figures with that specific problemtoday (god knows what that means 80? 90?)

Must have been that time of the month Griff :)

Edited by djfuego

Guest Griff_FFOC

Aye, must have been.

Orange rang me back and told me...... guess what.... a hard reset. Some technical support. Wonder if they actually think/know it will solve the problem or whether it's their usual answer.

Guest jporch316

is it worth sending their tech support team an email with a link to this thread?

I cant understand why its happening on some handsets and not others - maybe its got something to do with the rom that we are upgrading from

Guest Griff_FFOC

Had another call from a lady from Orange and was very helpful. Possibly further up the chain.

We chatted about the problem and the new rom update and how a few people had the same problem. We discussed a few workarounds, which I already knew, but it was nice to see someone taking an interest in the problem. She said she hadn't heard of this issue before, and as she uses coolsmartphone's website I directed her to this forum and she says she'll have a look when she gets a chance, mostly for her own information I think. Sadly no real fix for this unfortunately. I can live with it though. For how often I use my answer phone, i'll just ring 123.

If the lady that I spoke to reads this, then thanks, you were very helpful, seemed to want to help me solve my problem, sounded very charming, and i've got your number (150), lol. Shame I didn't catch your name.

Guest mossywell

Something to try: Assuming you have line 1 and 2 (or just ignore the L2 stuff if not)...

Go into the phone's registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RIL\RILConfig

Change VoiceMailNumber_L1 and VoiceMailNumber_L2 to +447973100123. Also set VoiceMailNumberMask_L1 and VoiceMailNumberMask_L2 to 1 and reboot the phone.

HTH

M

Something to try: Assuming you have line 1 and 2 (or just ignore the L2 stuff if not)...

Go into the phone's registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RIL\RILConfig

Change VoiceMailNumber_L1 and VoiceMailNumber_L2 to +447973100123. Also set VoiceMailNumberMask_L1 and VoiceMailNumberMask_L2 to 1 and reboot the phone.

HTH

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone tried using a different Orange SIM in their handset and going to Call options?

I did it and it solved my problem.

Good luck

Guest jporch316
Has anyone tried using a different Orange SIM in their handset and going to Call options?

Do you mean you had a new sim or you put someone elses sim in there stored the number and then put yours back in - ill be watching the footie tomorrow night with my mates and ill try one of theirs.

Has anyone tried the registry thingy - Im a bit reluctant to go in there messin with things - But i will if the fix works.

Cheers - we'll get there in the end

(wonder if Orange will have to send everyone new sim cards who 've done the update and have the bug)

Guest Confucious

Mine had this problem to start with. Every time I changed the No from 654321 it reverted back if I did a soft reset. Then I changed it and left it foir a while before doing a soft reset and it had the number I entered.

Unfortunatly I'd left off the leading + so it didn't work but after changing it again and leaving before a reboot it seems to be fine.

Next time I turmn on my C500 I'll check again (I now have a C550 so don't use the C500)

HTH

Guest jporch316

:) SUCCESS ;)

I can confirm that this worked for me - put in orange sim - entered full answerphone no - took out orange sim - put in my sim - worked.

and stayed after three reboots.

But I think there are 2 different problems here

Problem 1. My voicemail no was there after reflash (x2) but disappeared after reboot to be replaced with +

Problem 2. Other voicemail no's seem to be 654321 (never happened to me) and to revert back to this on reboot.

THANKS OG - im sure you suggested this earlier in the thread - but i never tried :evil:

Guest yosnoor
Do you mean you had a new sim or you put someone elses sim in there stored the number and then put yours back in - ill be watching the footie tomorrow night with my mates and ill try one of theirs.

Has anyone tried the registry thingy - Im a bit reluctant to go in there messin with things - But i will if the fix works.

Cheers - we'll get there in the end

(wonder if Orange will have to send everyone new sim cards who 've done the update and have the bug)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had the this problem since flashing to the new ROM, and I've tried putting my SIM in another phone and changing the phone settings, but nothing worked. However, I tried the registry thing and it worked! I'm not sure if it was just me, but I only have one line, and I had to change BOTH L1 and L2 numbers to get it to work. Maybe I did it incorrectly the first time, but it's all gravy now. Hope this helps.

Edited by yosnoor

Guest jporch316
I've had the this problem since flashing to the new ROM, and I've tried putting my SIM in another phone and changing the phone settings, but nothing worked.

I put someone elses sim in my phone and saved settings - did you try this?

Guest mas99

Spoke to a really helpfull operator at Orange (Kylie)

The C500 fault has been passed to the Data Team and at some point there will be a new upgrade to rectify the problem, :)

but does not know when :cry:

In the intrum the advice is to store 123 under another fast dial

MArk

Guest mossywell
I've had the this problem since flashing to the new ROM, and I've tried putting my SIM in another phone and changing the phone settings, but nothing worked.  However, I tried the registry thing and it worked!  I'm not sure if it was just me, but I only have one line, and I had to change BOTH L1 and L2 numbers to get it to work.  Maybe I did it incorrectly the first time, but it's all gravy now.  Hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Curious that you have to set L2 to get it to work if you don't have L2. Still, glad it worked. :)

I put someone elses sim in my phone and saved settings - did you try this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMHO (and it really is a very humble opinion indeed), the registry thing is quite a bit easier if you don't have a spare SIM to hand. ;)