Audiovox SMT5600 SimLock Toggling (Cost: $0.00)

Guest Abecedarian

Guest ftblstr2319

I was just wondering for all you verterans out there. If my smt 5600 is AT&T branded and I have a cingular sim. Do I absolutely need an ATT sim to unlock the phone? if not a link would be great.

I am having trouble unlocking my Audiovox 5600, any help would be appreciated, for some reason the threads here don't help or I don't know how I am not following them correctly.

Phone: Audiovox 5600 (cingular)

My sim and plan is T-mobile

Phone says "Network is locked. Please input unlock code."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest tomsull
now as for what i did

1. run the AE-CONFIG

follow the all the prompts in the read me

2. run the SPV-SERVICES

a. move the CERT.cab file to the phone. run the cab

b. then run the spvservices.exe follow the prompts> then unlock it.

In my testing, I found that No Warez did nothing to app unlock my phone. The apps in resetsecurity.zip (you can find this if you search around) WILL app unlock the phone, and if you reverse the XML file value from a 1 to a 0 (maybe vice versa), you can relock the phone. This seems to be the safest way to do so. I looked at the registry hacks in the XML file in No Warez, and it looks a bit dangerous. Resetsecurity.zip (via the Rapiconfig.exe program) looks to be the cleanest way to unlock it (AT&T 5600).

I also played with an Orange image on my phone; resetsecurity did NOT work on it, but this did to app unlock it:

I have attached the Smartphone registry editior. You unzip the regeditSTG.zip file and copy the unzipped file to your phone using ActiveSync, then run the registry editor on your phone.

Then change the following values to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 40

And now your phone is app unlocked!

(this from http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...gitally+signed)

Not sure if No Warez works on the Orange image or not. I couldn't get it to run because my Orange imaged phone was app locked more securely, but the registry hack unlocked it.

Guest tomsull
In my testing, I found that AE-CONFIG did nothing to app unlock my phone.  The apps in resetsecurity.zip (you can find this if you search around) WILL app unlock the phone, and if you reverse the XML file value from a 1 to a 0 (maybe vice versa), you can relock the phone.  This seems to be the safest way to do so.  I looked at the registry hacks in the XML file in No Warez, and it looks a bit dangerous.  Resetsecurity.zip (via the Rapiconfig.exe program) looks to be the cleanest way to unlock it (AT&T 5600).

I also played with an Orange image on my phone; resetsecurity did NOT work on it, but this did to app unlock it:

I have attached the Smartphone registry editior. You unzip the regeditSTG.zip file and copy the unzipped file to your phone using ActiveSync, then run the registry editor on your phone.

Then change the following values to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 40

And now your phone is app unlocked!

(this from http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...gitally+signed)

Not sure if AE=-Config works on the Orange image or not.  I couldn't get it to run because my Orange imaged phone was app locked more securely, but the registry hack unlocked it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jdepinho

Quick Question:

I've followed the following Unlock procedure with my Cingular SMT5600 phone:

"Step 1 (Application unlock)

While SMT5600 is connected in Active Sync Mode, execute SDA_applicationUnlock.exe.

This will unlock the Application portion of the phone.

Powere the phone off, and then back on when unlocking is complete.

Step 2

While SMT5600 is connected in Active Sync Mode, install Cert.cab

Run SPVServices.exe

Once app starts, click on the SIMLock Tool (Alpha)\

Type in Agree where prompted too."

Now that I've "unlocked" my phone (i.e. I can put a T-mobile sim in and I am able to access the Windows Mobile homescreen), I try to connect to the T-mobile network and it does not give me the option. I also try to select "manually connect" to another network and it will only allow me to remain in automatic network selection. What is wrong and why can't I get this previously Cingular blocked phone to work with Tmobile? (Mind you I'm in an area where Tmobile works, and both Cingular and Tmobile operate on the same frequencies).

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aristweed

Does anyone know if the SIM Unlocking works on a Canadian Rogers SMT5600??

(1)  Introduction

Over at the SPV-Developers' Board thread on unlocking the Audiovox SMT5600, Cyberdim offered up advice on how to unlock the Audiovox SMT5600 using the SPV-Developers' free C500/C550 SIMLock Toggling (FREE) tool.  While Modaco previously had a post on the Free SIM unlock for the SPV C500 from SPVdevelopers.com, it didn't really do much for those of us in the states.

I haven't actually tried Cyberdim's advice on my own phone yet, but did follow up with a list of links to the files he suggested.  My general impression right now is that the SMT5600 is actually application-locked, but merely a different type.  I'll discuss this later, after going through the juicy parts.

Without any more ado...

(2)  Cyberdim's Advice:

It is worth noting that this is not targeted at the Typhoon (Audiovox SMT 5600 / Orange c500 / etc) model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it still works.

Another version can be found on a post at pdamobiz.com,  D/L SmartPhone Program ( http://www.pdamobiz.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19034 ).  This site also seems outdated and legit.  I haven't downloaded it, however, and don't know whether it contains the same zipped files.

(4)  resetsecurity.zip

I found two downloads for this, each a bit different.  It should be noted that neither contained a manual.

{i}  Modaco -> How do you set up hotmail on the phone??

This file contains ResetSecurity.exe, a 4 KB executable.  No manual is included.

I have no clue whether it actually works.  The post explains a little bit about how it works, and apparently some found the results satisfactory.

{ii}  Motorola MPx220 and Audiovox SMT6500 "app locked"?

This file contains CheckLock.exe (4 KB), RapiConfig.exe (49 KB), and ResetSecurity.xml (1 KB).  No manual is included, but most of the post  itself is fairly informative.

I have only tried the CheckLock.exe program, which did work (results below).  Y'all are free to try the rest of them and let us know how they work.

I have no idea if there is any significant difference between these two downloads, but my instinct is that there isn't.

(5)  Questions

I trust that these will work, and am looking forward to trying them once I get a replacement dust-free phone.  However, I am not sure if there is a major difference between the two.  From the Modaco posts and the No Warez manual, both programs seemed geared towards app-unlocking smartphones.  What I don't know is:

{i}  How are they different?

{ii}  How does No Warez.exe work?

{iii}  Are both needed, or is it redundant?

Not the most pressing questions, if - as Cyberdim claims - used together they get the job done.  Just questions that could yield other insights.

(6)  Inferences/Insights

I tried CheckLock.exe, and it informed me that my phone (which uses the AT&T ROM) is application locked.  I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the SMT500 is locked, although in a slightly different way.  I've had a fairly long thread with pzee, and am starting to think that this could purely be the result of some "special" application lock that applies only to the Audiovox SMT5600.  I am curious whether an application locked c500 user is able to use SPV-Developers' tool and/or delete 'system' files using their computer.

(7)  Testing

I strongly encourage everybody who plays with these to post their results.  Even if this doesn't work, we can spend a little time hacking away at solving this

And, of course, there are plenty of other methods of application unlocking phones (I think).  For example, pzee posted about how he created an explanatory image.

Feel free to post anything you know that works on the SMT5600.  SIM Unlocking or exploring how the SMT5600 is application locked (or not).  Better yet, take the opportunity to go all theoretical.

That's all, and kudos to Cyberdim for giving we Yankees some hope.

~Abecedarian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 month later...
Guest lai

thank you so much guys, i successfully unlocked my audiovox by reading this thread. u guys save my day. i appreciate it very much. love my 5600 now ;)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest bimplebean

Hi all.

I have an AudioVox SMT 5600 locked to AT&T. I have converted from the old AT&T plan to Cingular plan. I have successfully unlocked my phone using the software described in this thread, but am unable to access the internet using my phone. Cingular has emailed me the page of instructions on all the information to enter, but it still doesn't work.

I'd love to rebrand my phone as a Cingular phone -- not just the images, but the MEdia.Net settings, etc. I assume that involves flashing the ROM.

Does anyone have any information on how I could do this? I really love my SMT5600 and would like to keep it.

Thanks in advance...

Barry

bseymour AT spamcop DOT net

That's great!! Thanks for you method,my audiovox smt5600 is back..

• 4 months later...
okie just unlocked my smt 5600 and then a store 5600 .. it worked great.. thanks to all the people who made it possible

now as for what i did

1. run the AE-CONFIG

follow the all the prompts in the read me

2. run the SPV-SERVICES

a. move the CERT.cab file to the phone. run the cab

b. then run the spvservices.exe follow the prompts> then unlock it.

below are the files just to make it easier

I'm a little late to this, but I followed these directions and CheckLock.exe still says my phone is locked. Can anyone help?