Orange due to release new rom for C500?

Guest jamesyuk

Hi there;

Thanks for the reply;

This deleting text message bug you mention, is it when having started a SMS the phone will (would) not allow you to abort it without selecting the postponing option - so even mid message pressing the Home key would not work (with an associated noise!)? If so this appears to have been altered (in this new ROM) so the Home key will allow the Home screen to show etc. whilst in the middle of a SMS and selecting messaging after brings you back to the message you (just) interrupted.

Me guessing but is that the area you wanted clarifying?

Not quite;

It's described in the bug list post as;

Disappearing SMS when restarted

If an SMS is received and the phone is restarted before the inbox is opened, the SMS disappears.

Which basically means;

Say the phone is locked.

A new message arrives and you hear the sound / see Text Messages (1) on the home page.

However when you hit left action button to unlock the phone all the happens is the backlight comes on, no option to unlock.

None of the other buttons do anything either.

Wait a few secs the back light will go out, hit the action button, again all that happens is the back light comes on.

Basically meaning that you can't unlock your phone anymore :evil:

All you can do is pull the battery out to reset the phone, however upon the reboot the new unread text message has been deleted :D

Note, this doesn't happen everytime a new SMS arrives when the phone is locked, just when you least expecting it. ;)

Guest Chumley

Very interesting... I have never experienced that at all to be quite honest. For the record my previous versions taken from the phone just before the upgrade (to perhaps compare to your C500) are well, were:

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

Version 4.21.1088 (Build 14217)

Radio Version 1337.0.32_0.03.18

ROM update versions:

Operator: 4.1.1.4

Manufacturer: 1.1.1.91

Microsoft: 4.21.14217.0

Language: 1.1.1.91

File System: 4.21.14217.0

The phone was purchased 2nd/3rd November 2004

I must have unlocked the phone literally hundreds of times to read a received SMS and that has never happened to me. (A better guestimate - over a thousand times during the last just expired 12 month contract having thought about it) and probably about 3/4 of that figure have required me to unlock the phone to read the SMS)

One thing I will say to allow for variances (and clarify what exactly I am doing) - I've set the phone to lock after 5 minutes of inactivity and so I am not unlocking the 'screen lock' lock if you see what I mean. To unlock I use a set up PIN number and not the 'unlock' and then the hash key (I think it is)

Hope that helps in some way.

Edited by Chumley

Guest Disco Stu
I'm going to see if I can unearth the technique of enabling ClearType next presumably by digging in the registry...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could do the fiddling yourself or you could get yourself a re-useable cab for all your 2002 / 2003 phones from Custom Cabbage

;)

Guest Chumley
You could do the fiddling yourself or you could get yourself a re-useable cab for all your 2002 / 2003 phones from Custom Cabbage

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for that Sir ! - it worked a treat.

I am undecided on the ClearType change although in Internet Explorer I think it does look better which was one of the reasons to investigate it.

Thanks again..

Guest Disco Stu

I can't live without ClearType now and that particular cab goes on every phone now.

FWIW I've reverted to my C500 now and updated it to 4.2.1.4 and, though I couldn't tell you what is different from previous ROMs, I'm very happy with it !

Compared to the C550 the C500 is beautifully weighted / shaped and the extra spacing of the keypad is lovely for texting.

Guest b1ackb1rd

I've just had my c500 replaced with the same symptoms as mentioned by Gav.

New unread SMS messages causing the phone to freeze, and once rebooted the new unread message has gone. THis was with original ROM and the latest version on the Orange website 4.2.1.4.

Also problems with bluetooth paired devices being lost once the phone was rebooted, a real pain having to start the pairing procedure everytime the SMS problem required the battery to be removed.

Replacement phone received Saturday with 4.2.1.4 from Orange.

THIS replacement phone randomly rejects calls when answered, will not send images via infrared and once the camera is used the screen 'white outs' meaning that the application needs to be closed down before another photo can be taken.

God, I really hate this phone .... only 7 months before I can upograde ;)

Just had a random thought that maybe someone with more knowledge / skill than me could help with.

It seems that SMS problem is a combination of 2 bugs;

1) The phone does not save a new SMS msgs to permanent memory until it is read (madness)

2) On occasion the phone will not unlock so you need to pull the battery.

If these two problems occur together (well there is not much you can do about the 1st ;) you get the deleting SMS msg problem.

So I was thinking, would it be possible for someone to write a little util / service that would write new SMS's to the phone's memory as soon as they arrive?

Unfortunately I know nothing about windows smart phone development / have a dev kit / would know where to start, or I would have a go my self.

If anyone here does, I would happy to give a hand in anyway I could.

In the mean time I will give Chumley's technique a try.

One thing I will say to allow for variances (and clarify what exactly I am doing) - I've set the phone to lock after 5 minutes of inactivity and so I am not unlocking the 'screen lock' lock if you see what I mean. To unlock I use a set up PIN number and not the 'unlock' and then the hash key (I think it is)

Cheers

Guest The G Man
I've no idea what it's supposed to fix, but if it's cured my garbled voice problem on some calls, I'll be happy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can anybody confirm if this ROM update fixes the garbled voice probelm? I got the handset replaced two weeks ago because of the problem but it's still happening on the new one. I am just about to sell my c500 to a friend, so I want to make sure the problem is fixed before then.

Guest cuk0724
Can anybody confirm if this ROM update fixes the garbled voice probelm? I got the handset replaced two weeks ago because of the problem but it's still happening on the new one. I am just about to sell my c500 to a friend, so I want to make sure the problem is fixed before then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it does.

I have been using it for about 3 weeks and have not had the problem with the garbled vioce.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've not had any reports of the garbled voice problem since installing this update either. Whereas, it used to happen for at least the first call after switching the phone on, or exiting Flight Mode. ;)

Guest Chumley

Just for the record regarding the recent (C500 ROM) upgrade (to 4.2.1.4) I do note that the specific POP3 option from the list after selecting 'Messaging' has gone and I am sure there was also something else that appears to have been removed / hidden.

The option list is now: 1 Media Messages; 2 Text Messages; 3 Outlook E-Mail; 4 IMAP4. The previous POP3 option was after this and another option I can't recall at present.

No luck so far in recently configuring (or shouild I say trying to configure ?!) access to my orange.net email account from / for the phone. Have checked for school boy errors (!) but it doesn't seem to want to work like it used to with the older (first version?) ROM. I have tried both IMAP4 and Outlook E-Mail so far.

Will think further perhaps.

Any suggestions appreciated as IE browses fine..

Edited by Chumley

Guest Disco Stu

For Orange.net go into any message account and hit Menu, Options, Account Setup, Menu again, New.

Enter your name and emial address and use the automatic setup option.

All you will need to enter after that is your username (original, not phone number) & password.

Have done it 3/4 times recently.

Guest Chumley
For Orange.net go into any message account and hit Menu, Options, Account Setup, Menu again, New.

Enter your name and emial address and use the automatic setup option.

All you will need to enter after that is your username (original, not phone number) & password.

Have done it 3/4 times recently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah ha... working now thank you very much Disco Stu and fozzie.

I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction - thanks...

Guest jporch316

Have done it 3/4 times recently

Is that because you keep updating your rom disco stu? - Its a nuisance isnt it!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chumley

A new ROM (negative) observation. An upgrade to version 4.2.1.4 (from memory).

Just something that appears to be a 'feature' (!) or problem in my view with the new ROM I have installed in my C500. The alarm on the phone triggers correctly as regards time but only sounds for the first one of the repeated effective warbles (?).

I used it successfully (and relied on it) as an alarm when away but this short noise fails to work for me.

I will experiment but can't see this changing so I will have to re-think this ROM 'upgrade'.

Thinking around the problem I may have to define a calendar appointment or similar instead as this seems to 'alarm' more extensively.

Edited by Chumley

Guest Griff_FFOC

Can't you just set your own, longer tone, to the alarm in the Sounds option? I just use a long MIDI file, and as it's never usually gotton to the end, i've not noticed any looping problems.

Guest b1ackb1rd

Yep, since I've upgraded to 4.2.1.4 the alarm sounds only once, and new messages on the answerphone are not signalled.

Pretty annoying really ... only 5 months to upgrade time :)

• 1 month later...
Guest BanziBarn

Thinking about doing the update, but will my phone become oranged locked again afterwards?

Also, will explorer be able to send files via BT afterwards?

;)

Edited by BanziBarn

Guest BanziBarn

Thanks ;)

Wasn't using Binarys Smart Explorer, just wondered if the update fixed the ability for the built in explorer to send by bluetooth.