I-Mate SP5

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Pondrew
Does the sp5 have the same VGA sorta screen as the c550,Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

VGA on a Smartphone? I wish! ;)

I KNOW I don't need to tell u all that it's QVGA

Guest JOEJOETHEJOEY

Thanks for the replies from various ppl. Much apprecaited. Just need to know about the others:

a) How well does it stream media through the WIFI? i.e. Mp3 and WMV

:D Can it run a full DivX movie (coded for PC) without downsizing or re-encoding?

c) Can you have something like MSN messenger running via WiFi and also accept incoming or make outgoing calls without MSN disconnecting?

;)

Guest shadamehr

Ok, this phone has me contemplating re-joining the SmartPhone field, but can you nice people answer a few questions first...

1. Bluetooth/Gallery - my pet hate of the C500 was the huge efforts needed to send a picture or video by bt to other types of handset. Third party file manager was required for the BT side of it, and images could not be sent from a preview browser - you had to know the filename and use a file manager - doh! Can users confirm that there is now a File Browser, Album, or Gallery, whereby files can be sent straight from this preview browser, to other phones via BT (in much the same way as all other makes of handset allow, such as Nokia, and SE)? And is it easy to RECEIVE files via BT now?

2. Wi-fi - what can I do with this in relation to a an existing home network and Belkin pre-M router - can I set it up so the phone becomes part of my Workgroup network, so that I can send and receive files back and forth - otherwise, what do you use wi-fi for? And can I run MSN Messenger this way, avoiding GPRS costs etc?

3. Photo contacts - whilst this is now an inbuilt feature, I read somewhere they have taken a backward step, and they are now tiny little images displayed. Is this true, and if so, is there any way around it, so we can use templates etc again, and get bigger images, and animated gif's for callers?

4. How bad is the camera?

5. MMS - when you send a picture on a C500, almost immediately after clicking "Send" the phone says "Message sent" even though it has NOT yet been sent - you have to wait a while, then HOPE it has been sent by then, and then close GPRS yourself. How is this improved on the SP5?

I appreciate these are not easy one word answers, but often, these kind of questions help other potential users much more.

So I would be greatly indebted to you for any answers you can give folks... I think I need one of these...

Guest Pagemakers
Ok, this phone has me contemplating re-joining the SmartPhone field, but can you nice people answer a few questions first...

1.  Bluetooth/Gallery - my pet hate of the C500 was the huge efforts needed to send a picture or video by bt to other types of handset.  Third party file manager was required for the BT side of it, and images could not be sent from a preview browser - you had to know the filename and use a file manager - doh!  Can users confirm that there is now a File Browser, Album, or Gallery, whereby files can be sent straight from this preview browser, to other phones via BT (in much the same way as all other makes of handset allow, such as Nokia, and SE)?  And is it easy to RECEIVE files via BT now?

2. Wi-fi - what can I do with this in relation to a an existing home network and Belkin pre-M router - can I set it up so the phone becomes part of my Workgroup network, so that I can send and receive files back and forth - otherwise, what do you use wi-fi for?  And can I run MSN Messenger this way, avoiding GPRS costs etc?

3.  Photo contacts - whilst this is now an inbuilt feature, I read somewhere they have taken a backward step, and they are now tiny little images displayed.  Is this true, and if so, is there any way around it, so we can use templates etc again, and get bigger images, and animated gif's for callers?

5. MMS - when you send a picture on a C500, almost immediately after clicking "Send" the phone says "Message sent" even though it has NOT yet been sent - you have to wait a while, then HOPE it has been sent by then, and then close GPRS yourself.  How is this improved on the SP5?

I appreciate these are not easy one word answers, but often, these kind of questions help other potential users much more.

So I would be greatly indebted to you for any answers you can give folks... I think I need one of these...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 No not by Bluetooth

2 Can't join the network but you can run msn over wifi

3 Sadly photo contacts are more basic than in 2003

4 Camera is the same as the C550. Better but not brilliant.

5 A sending icon appears until the message is actually sent. Closing GPRS is not a problem. you are not charged to be connected. I leave mine on permanently anyway.

Guest shadamehr
1 No not by Bluetooth

2 Can't join the network but you can run msn over wifi

3 Sadly photo contacts are more basic than in 2003

4 Camera is the same as the C550. Better but not brilliant.

5 A sending icon appears until the message is actually sent. Closing GPRS is not a problem. you are not charged to be connected. I leave mine on permanently anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 - So how do you send images and videos to other handset users. Please don't tell me you can't do this any easier than the old C500 - I've already ordered one now - if so, it's going back unopened.

2 - That's not too bad then

3 - Any option to improve on this then? On the plus side, is it true photos are now displayed against received texts from known contacts too?

4 - I suppose I can live with it. Bit awkward moving from a Nokia 6680 tho.

5 - This is much better. How it should have been from the start *lol*

But all of this is moot, if there is no ready and easy way to send images and vids via BlueTooth from a Gallery. I once raised this about the C500, and everyone told me this was changed from the C550 upwards. SO is this a step backwards. Someone PLEASE tell me you CAN easily send images and videos now - otherwise this is no better than the very old E200 from years ago...

I'm serious - if I still, after all these years, can't send an image easily like on EVERY other make of handset, then the SP5 I have ordered, is going back - in fact, if you can absolutely confirm this to be the case now folks, I can even cancel my order before it is processed hopefully...

Guest chrisc28
1 By IR, MMS or email I'm afraid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm afraid I'll have to correct you there.

The SP5 can beam files via Bluetooth from the Photo Album application. Select Beam and make sure your Bluetooth is switched on. The trick is that it automatically scans for bluetooth devices if BT is on, similar to the File Manager application. So, in this respect, it has been fixed.

My MPx220 and Xphone (Voyager on 2003) can already do this. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are unaware of this issue.

Guest shadamehr

The SP5 can beam files via Bluetooth from the Photo Album application. Select Beam and make sure your Bluetooth is switched on. The trick is that it automatically scans for bluetooth devices if BT is on, similar to the File Manager application. So, in this respect, it has been fixed.

My MPx220 and Xphone (Voyager on 2003) can already do this. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are unaware of this issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is what I was hoping someone would say mate.

So Pagemakers, can you test this out.

The problem of course used to be that when you chose Beam, you had to then choose "via IR" and it would nevertheless use BT too (Smart Explorer this was, on the C500, so done via File Manager only).

Can we confirm this can now be done on an SP5, VIA THE GALLERY, by choosing the image as you preview it, then selecting Beam, and then via IR or whatever else it says, and it instead finds BT devices too?

That being the case, can someone else also confirm this, and morevoer, tell me if the list of found devices comes up really slow like the C500 used to, and if it only comes up with the unique identifier code of the other devices for some of them, instead of the BT NAME of the other phone as it should?

The C500 used to list found devices very slow, not always find them all, start with a list of the unique identifier codes, not the phone names, and then convert them to names later, and often only manage about half of them, leaving the rest as the code numbers.

Is it still as bad as this for the SP5???

Guest chrisc28
1.  Bluetooth/Gallery -

See my post above.

3.  Photo contacts - whilst this is now an inbuilt feature, I read somewhere they have taken a backward step, and they are now tiny little images displayed.  Is this true, and if so, is there any way around it, so we can use templates etc again, and get bigger images, and animated gif's for callers?

There might be a way to fix this. No one's tried it yet afaik. When the Photo Contacts application supports WM5, I'm pretty sure you can purchase it and install.

Rather, you should be asking how good it is. Lol. You seem to have a completely negative view of the Tornado.

It's pretty average. Definitely not as good as the SE phones. Honestly, it won't be as good as the Nokia 6680 too, but still decent. No flash.

5. MMS -

I don't use MMS, but honestly, I still loathe the fact that HTC is still bundling these phones with the ArcSoft MMS software which is plain crap. It is this particular software that cripples MMS in many WM phones, so I can't see why it's bundled again. In case you didn't know from my past posts on this forum, I have an eternal grunge against ArcSoft for its many badly made products.

I remember Microsoft mentioning to developers that the WM platform already includes MMS capabilities since 2003, so why bother using a separate application?

Overall, it's a nice phone. Very distracting to my tests.... ;)

Guest Pagemakers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I'm doing as you say on my SP5 and the only option I have is beam by IR.

Guest chrisc28

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's it. It will also search for BT devices even though the option is for IR only.

Guest shadamehr

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats why no one realises - this SHOULD include BT devices too when it searches - try it and see..?

Can't beleive they STILL haven't chenged the bloody label by the advent of WM2005 though - come on MS...

Let me know if it works, and how well - see my last post for issues it may still suffer and let me know???

Guest chrisc28
Thats why no one realises - this SHOULD include BT devices too when it searches - try it and see..?

Can't beleive they STILL haven't chenged the bloody label by the advent of WM2005 though - come on MS...

Let me know if it works, and how well - see my last post for issues it may still suffer and let me know???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Talk about bad UI design.

The searching function is still similar. It recognises devices by their ID's before the names. Takes about 2-3 seconds for the device's names to appear.

Tested on 2 devices. Didn't have enough devices to test if it will significantly slow down device discovery.

It's certainly faster than it used to be, probably due to a better BT implementation.

Guest Pondrew

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome back Shadamehr. ;)

Shouldn't it be HTC you're lambasting? Just that the Album/Picture Gallery app is an HTC/IA one and as such the labelling of said software options is not of MS doing.

I spose you could argue Windows Mobile should have an inbuilt Picture Gallery but some would argue that Windows Mobile's EDGE is that it's an operating system first rather and aims for expandability and versatility first rather then then an all round end product like the Nokias.

Just a thought.

My question is simple.

I sold my D600 for £275. i will try and sell my SPV C500.

Is the SP5 worth me buying for £320 or shall i pocket the money i have already got and spend it on someting else, or buy the SP5 to "upgrade" from my SPV C500 ????

SPV C500 + £275

or

sp5 ?????

Edited by Kinch

Guest Pagemakers

Personally the SP5 is by far the best smartphone I have ever had. I will never ever go back to a SPV unless they change the design of it radically.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi Page,

Does the iMate SP5 still have that annoying 'tink' sound when inserting a contact? (Try to compose a new message then access your Contacts /phonebook, a 'tink' sound is generated) The sound is from 'default.wav'

Guest shadamehr
Welcome back Shadamehr.  ;)

Shouldn't it be HTC you're lambasting? Just that the Album/Picture Gallery app is an HTC/IA one and as such the labelling of said software options is not of MS doing.

I spose you could argue Windows Mobile should have an inbuilt Picture Gallery but some would argue that Windows Mobile's EDGE is that it's an operating system first rather and aims for expandability and versatility first rather then then an all round end product like the Nokias.

Just a thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You kind of hit the nail on the head mate - in that by now I think there should have been far more native OS support for this kind of stuff.

I am deeply concerned to hear that all these devices on, and a whole new OS too, and the BT file transfer support is still restrictive, un-intuitive, and slow, as well as identifying devices by unique code first, not name, as every single other make and type of handset does.

To the very best of my knowledge, there is not one single other make or type of handset that does anything other than report the phone NAME to the user, except the Windows SmartPhone. The problem with this approach, at least in terms of the C500, and I would greatly suspect ALL the newer devices, is that it makes for a MUCH slower system, when you are in a hurry to send, but worse, in my experiences with the C500, it very often gives up the ghost and just stays with the phone identifier code.

It was so bad, it got to the point where I was MEMORISING my partner's unique identifier code, so I could just get to send stuff to her. I am PRAYING it's not still as bad as this, as if it is, the SP5, as nice as it is, will still be going back.

I mean come on, lets face it, this is NOT a teen kiddie thing - I went to a house warming party last night, and all the women were in the living room, and the thirty and fourty something blokes were in the kitchen near the booze seperate from the women (as you do at these things), and all the blokes were doing was swapping ringtones, pr*n, vids etc from phone to phone - everyone had their phones out doing this. The joke was even made, that "you can even use these things to RING people up and talk to them you know"

But that simply emphasises the point, that those people still labouring under the hugely misguided belief that BT is just for teen saddos, is so far from reality its untrue.

I want a SmartPhone for the 'smart' features it has. That DOESN'T mean I want to be 'cut off' from the entire rest of the mobile phone community out there who can use their phones for so many more 'other' things. Does the principal of a SmartPhone mean it is mutually exclusive to all the other more 'regular' features of every other handset out there? And let's remember the limited percentage penetration of the MS SmartPhone field here folks...

The sooner MS/HTC realise that for a SmartPhone to be the WINNER, it needs to be BOTH a SMARTphone, and do what all the other handsets out there can do without even thinking about it AS WELL. NOT one or t'other!

To dictate that "as its a SmartPhone, its not aimed at that type of market"... well I'm sorry, that's up to MS to decide for sure, but if they do, all they are doing is exactly waht I am highlighting now - severley restricting their potential market, and thus explaining perfectly why penetration is limited now, and even in future, unless this is resolved, still limiting the market share it will ever own.

/end rant mode as I realise how much I have digressed, but having read the responses here, I am entirely convinced that when my SP5 does arrive, it will confirm to me all the worries I have with it, and end up going back.

Oh MS/HTC... I've now had well over a year away from SmartPhones. With all these new devices and new OS, I would have seriously thought by now you would have sorted it out. Please don't tell me you are still not a single step further forward with all this side of it...

Edited by shadamehr

Guest Pagemakers
Hi Page,

Does the iMate SP5 still have that annoying 'tink' sound when inserting a contact? (Try to compose a new message then access your Contacts /phonebook, a 'tink' sound is generated) The sound is from 'default.wav'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope ;)

Guest Pondrew
So no more 'tink' 'tink' sound? Great! Thanks Page. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it only took them three incarnations of Smartphone/Windows Mobile! :roll: ;)