I-Mate SP5

Guest Pagemakers

Guest shadamehr

Mmmm - just noticed something on the i-mate website:

1-view

Sounds like its a piece of software you install on pc, and already on the phone, that lets you set up files to share between devices etc. Could be a kind of stop gap, for the lack of wi-fi network share support on the phone.

Anyone used this yet can comment?

And another thing that got me - if you view the .pdf readme about this new service located at:

http://www.clubimate.com/press_releases/PR...-%20English.pdf

Then if you scroll towards the end, where it tells you about the different devices, for the sp5 it says:

"Running on Windows Mobile 5.0, this Smartphone has GSM/GPRS/Edge, Bluetooth, and Wi-fi B and G..."

Since when did it aquire 802.11g flavour?

This press release is only a month or so old too.

I assume its totally wrong?

Edited by shadamehr

question is how good is the wm5 side of the phone seeing as there is allready an update available ;)and wifi is better with b than g , i dont want a phone with g ;) its like fm-am b is like am and g is like fm , b travels further but slower at 11mbps which on any phone is quick enough :|

Guest gilesjuk

The OMAP chip supports a G connection, but then so did the previous chip used in the SP3. In reality it just means there's an interface from the CPU chip can connect to an external wifi chip, there's no wifi functionality in the CPU.

So it's up to the hardware vendor to select B or G.

Guest Sgt_Strider

Does it support WPA2 or Wifi security with AES?

Also is there a way to shut off GPRS so that when the phone goes to sleep and it attempts to retrieve e-mail, it won't resort to GPRS? Is there a way to use a 2.5mm adapter and not cancel or shut off the microphone? Thanks!

Guest Pagemakers
Does it support WPA2 or Wifi security with AES?

Also is there a way to shut off GPRS so that when the phone goes to sleep and it attempts to retrieve e-mail, it won't resort to GPRS? Is there a way to use a 2.5mm adapter and not cancel or shut off the microphone? Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can answer one of your questions. Sadly when wifi goes to sleep and your phone polls your email server it does not wake wifi and uses GPRS instead stupidly.

Guest spacerace

In Start - Settings - Data Connections (if this exists under WM5 ?) is WiFi listed ? Couldn't you select WiFi on that menu, and then the phone wouldn't use GPRS automatically if WiFi wasn't available ?

It wouldn't solve the problem of WiFi not 'waking up' again, but owuld prevent unplanned billing...

Guest chrisc28

shadamehr, the phone is really not as bad as you think. My friends are impressed by it, especially the fact that I can hook up to wireless networks and download stuff on the fly. I have no trouble exchanging files with Nokia, Motorola and SE phones. It is very much improved from WM2003 if you're concerned about the hardware and software quality.

I just wished HTC would release something like the HPM-70/HPM-80 headset + remote that SE has for its phones. It would make it a perfect music device so I will stop wanting the W800i/W900i.

Edited by chrisc28

Guest gilesjuk

It needs to be better than any smartphone though and IMHO it's the lack of a major brand that is holding back the hardware side. As soon as Samsung get their act together we might see some innovation.

Companies like HTC are like Toyota and Nissan, they pumped out generic cars for years and they were reliable but bland. A lot of HTC stuff is just like that, the sum of the components makes for a phone that does its job well but there's no wow factor.

The camera needs to be better, the video recording needs to blow away the competition. Can you imagine a phone so good you wouldn't need a camcorder? this is the next big thing IMHO.

Edited by gilesjuk

Guest shadamehr
shadamehr, the phone is really not as bad as you think. My friends are impressed by it, especially the fact that I can hook up to wireless networks and download stuff on the fly. I have no trouble exchanging files with Nokia, Motorola and SE phones. It is very much improved from WM2003 if you're concerned about the hardware and software quality.

I just wished HTC would release something like the HPM-70/HPM-80 headset + remote that SE has for its phones. It would make it a perfect music device so I will stop wanting the W800i/W900i.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chris...

"I have no trouble exchanging files with Nokia, Motorola and SE phones."

That is exactly what I wanted someone to comment on.

Can you remember how truly abysmal the C500 was to send stuff via BT?

And I don't just mean having to use a file manager and do it by name - I mena the actual sucess rate itself.

If you are telling me this is miles different now on the SP5, you might just be gonna make me a happy man.

I truly hope so.

Cheers mate.

Cheers pagemakers for all the replies too.

Guest shadamehr

Damn and damnation to phones2udirect.co.uk

I ordered from them, because their website said they were currently IN STOCK.

I have just received an email back saying they are OUT OF STOCK.

So I had another look at their website, where they are still claiming it is IN STOCK.

Blithering nincompoops.

So no telling when I will get it.

I'm off to Expansys to see how their contract deal compares.

Guest shadamehr

Damn, Expansys is Expected 10 days now, when they were listed as in stock on Saturday.

Also, even the Special Offer Contract Deal is not as good.

Anyone else know of any great contract deals in the UK on the SP5 ???

Edited by shadamehr

Guest chrisc28
Chris...

"I have no trouble exchanging files with Nokia, Motorola and SE phones."

That is exactly what I wanted someone to comment on.

Can you remember how truly abysmal the C500 was to send stuff via BT?

And I don't just mean having to use a file manager and do it by name - I mena the actual sucess rate itself.

If you are telling me this is miles different now on the SP5, you might just be gonna make me a happy man.

I truly hope so.

Cheers mate.

Cheers pagemakers for all the replies too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't take my word for it. I still think the BT OBEX function is pretty random.

When I said I had little or no problems, I meant it's functional for me. However, it sounds like you're expecting a lot, so I don't think you'll like it.

I also do not like the fact that I have to manually switch on BT before sending files, unlike in SE phones where it switches on automatically when selected as a mode of transfer and then switches off after transfer.

So, I agree that BT implementation is still not perfect. Even Nokia took some time to improve on their BT implementation. I think the SP5 is average at best.

If you're looking for proper BT phones, you shouldn't be looking at MS Smartphones for now.

Edited by chrisc28

Guest shadamehr
Don't take my word for it. I still think the BT OBEX function is pretty random.

When I said I had little or no problems, I meant it's functional for me. However, it sounds like you're expecting a lot, so I don't think you'll like it.

Only if you call the ability to do what any and EVERY other make of non MS SmartPhone can do "a lot". *lol*

I also do not like the fact that I have to manually switch on BT before sending files, unlike in SE phones where it switches on automatically when selected as a mode of transfer and then switches off after transfer.
Mmm - that sounds a bit backwards.

So, I agree that BT implementation is still not perfect. Even Nokia took some time to improve on their BT implementation.

They did indeed take some time to get this right. But that in itself, was 'some time' ago now - Nokia and every other manufacturer have had proper BT working fine for ages now, except Samsung who came late to the party, and made up for it with Full Profiles Support even surpassing that of existing phones. MS have had since my old E200 to sort out BT in their SmartPhones. Don't know about you, but that should have been more than enough time to have this just perfect by now - not 'just about working' by now.

I think the SP5 is average at best.

If you're looking for proper BT phones, you shouldn't be looking at MS Smartphones for now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For now? That's my entire point mate though - I have already TOOK a year and a half AWAY from SmartPhones to give them that very time to sort this out.

So to me, with this next generation device, and WM5.0, I would have hoped and thought, that "now is the time, and the time is now..."

Clearly, not likely.

So if from Wm2002 and the E200, right through to the SP5 and WM5.0 is not long enough time for MS to get BT support right on their phones, what makes anyone think they will EVER crack it?

And again.... before people say I am expecting 'too much'...

Since when was the bog standard stuff of every cheap end phone manufacturer that isn't SmartPhone, "too much".

Not likely...

*lol*

(clarification too - my gripes sound like they are at you - they are not, they are at a company that it seems, has not improved a specific shortcoming in their phones in the times since the old E200)

Damn and damnation to phones2udirect.co.uk

I ordered from them, because their website said they were currently IN STOCK.

I have just received an email back saying they are OUT OF STOCK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same happened to me last week. Not right is it?? but then again, someone might not cancel and phones2udirect get their money before they get their stock of SP5's, if they keep showing it IN STOCK, so thats why they do it.

Just cancel it and get it from Expansys when they arrive. I have gone right off phone2udirect now.

Same happened to me last week. Not right is it??  but then again, someone might not cancel and phones2udirect get their money before they get their stock of SP5's, if they keep showing it IN STOCK, so thats why they do it.

Just cancel it and get it from Expansys when they arrive. I have gone right off phone2udirect now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I called phones2udirect this morning and was assured that SP5's were in stock so I ordered one via their website, chased them this afternoon for an update and was told the credit check system was down but the phones were still in stock..... now I have an email telling me they are out of stock! Not happy.

Guest shadamehr
I called phones2udirect this morning and was assured that SP5's were in stock so I ordered one via their website, chased them this afternoon for an update and was told the credit check system was down but the phones were still in stock..... now I have an email telling me they are out of stock! Not happy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be interested to hear what they say if you ring them and ask them for an explanation tomorrow.

I emailed them back to say that they are STILL showing as in Stock...

And have had nothing back...

Guest gilesjuk
I'd be interested to hear what they say if you ring them and ask them for an explanation tomorrow.

I emailed them back to say that they are STILL showing as in Stock...

And have had nothing back...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I emailed them last week and didn't get a reply until today:

Hi,

You are looking at around 3-4 days for this model now.

Regards

------------------------------------------

I've ordered one from them too ;)

Another places (wrongly?) listing stock for Tornado:

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/products.asp?partno=QTEK8310

and these who claim to be getting the QTek on the 26th:

http://www.discountgpsdirect.co.uk/qtek-83...2610-p-453.html

Guest Cybertronic

Is their offer for the i-Mate SP5 with the Vodafone Off Peak 1000 + 250 Text (18 MTH) which costs £16 monthly with a free i-Mate SP5 legit? :|

Or am I missing something? :oops:

Guest gilesjuk
Is their offer for the i-Mate SP5 with the Vodafone Off Peak 1000 + 250 Text (18 MTH) which costs £16 monthly with a free i-Mate SP5 legit? :|

Or am I missing something? :oops:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's easy to offer anything when you can't deliver it ;)

Anyway, I looked at the Off Peak tarriff, the peak costs are terrible.

Guest Cybertronic
It's easy to offer anything when you can't deliver it ;)

Anyway, I looked at the Off Peak tarriff, the peak costs are terrible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

10P for landline and mobile networks accoring to their tariff info isn't too bad is it? :|

This tariff is just confusing me as the call prices as the same to those tariffs that are much more expensive :?:

Why is the phone free with this contract? :shock:

Guest dave106

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

phones2udirect are awful, they never update their site. a friend of mine tried to get a jam black or s110, both of which, the sites says they are in stock but they arent. And was also told exactly the same thing about the credit check being down but they had the phone. day later, oh we dont have either of those, it'll be about a month. So settled for the regular jam in the end.

Guest Pondrew

So has anyone noted that according to the clubimate website this otherwise state of the art Smartphone incorporates outdated Bluetooth technology?

What do I mean? Well, I did some reading up on Bluetooth today and apparently the two most recent advances in Bluetooth technology were version 1.2 (which is essential for stereo bluetooth headphone compatibility and delivers power consumption improvements), and version 2.0 (which again greatly reduces power consumption over previous versions).

What bluetooth does HTC include in the Imate SP5 (at least according to clubimate specs here)? Version 1.1. WHY? Everything else about the 'phone is fairly cutting edge so why use old bluetooth tech?

What the...?! I've just been comparing specs. Imate has DOWNGRADED the bluetooth on ALL their new Windows Mobile devices!?!

The Imate Jam and Imate New Jam (128meg version) were both Bluetooth 1.2 compatible. But the Jasjar, KJam, SP5 and SP5m aren't! Whether this is Imates doing or HTCs, it's pathetic.