Ask Paul [MVP]: SPV C600 Q&A

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Chris Edwards
Does the alarm sound if the profile is set on silent.  Hence stopping calls and texts from sounding, but still allowing the alarm to go off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't you just edit the silent profile to set the alarm to sound? That's what I've done on my C500.

Guest HerpezP

I've read the C550's screen is almost unreadable when the backlighting is off (contrary to the C500), which means the screen isn't of much use without activating the backlighting.

Is this the same with the C600. Maybe this is a general "problem" with the new (HTC) QVGA screens?

Btw, I'm guessing the screen has gained a litte size in the height, but is probably about the same width, as the new AR is the "standard" 4:3 instead of the 5:4 format of the C500?

Guest Paul [MVP]
Still no FM radio I'm guessing?

Do you know who makes the screen?

Camera quality any good/better?

Quad-band or tri-band?

No FM radio.

No idea who makes the screen!

Camera quality still rubbish!

Quad Band ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
I've read the C550's screen is almost unreadable when the backlighting is off (contrary to the C500), which means the screen isn't of much use without activating the backlighting.

Is this the same with the C600. Maybe this is a general "problem" with the new (HTC) QVGA screens?

Btw, I'm guessing the screen has gained a litte size in the height, but is probably about the same width, as the new AR is the "standard" 4:3 instead of the 5:4 format of the C500?

As with the C550, you can't read the screen really when backlight is off.

P

Hi Paul,

Can you tell me what it's got in the way of voice dialling and commands. I'd read somewhere that WM 5 was going to incorporate MS Voice Command for Smartphone - the app that never seems to arrive :x

As with one of the previous posts, I'm also interested in boot-up time for the C600. The C500 is sluglike and I gather the C550 is worse.

Pity about the lack of wifi, but you can see their thinking. ;)

Thanx

Guest Animefan

2 questions:

1. How does the MSN Messenger on it look like? Saw few screens from the mobile 5 post. but is ther smiles etc? Could you post screens of the messenger version?

2. What about the battery time, how long is that roughly after your oppinion?

Guest fluffcat1
One acronym. VOIP.

Apparently people still use mobile phones for voice conversations (how quaint). If they can download Skype and use that in a wifi hotspot, Orange make no cash.

Yeah, I read that article in the Telegraph business section as well about Google pushing free wifi in San Francisco with solar powered access points, and mobile operators bricking it regarding VoIP ;)

A shame as that's EXACTLY what I wanted the C600 for....oh well, have to buy a Qtek then, and as I no longer get a subsidised handset, I don't have any reason to stay with orange who loose my voice and data revenue when I'm away from a hotspot.....

Richard

Guest Griff_FFOC
Couldn't you just edit the silent profile to set the alarm to sound? That's what I've done on my C500.
Thanks. Didn't think of that, or sure if you could. but i'll check it out when I get it back from HTC, when they actually look at it to fix it :roll:

On a general note.  How robust does the phone feel?  Does it feel like it'll fall apart, or keys stop working, at the first sign of being knocked or pressed too hard, like the C500. Or does it feel well built and quite solid, for example.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any comments on this query Paul? 8)

Edited by Griff_FFOC

Heya Paul ... first off i take my hat off to you for taking all these questions ;)

On some page there was mentions of when a new device is going to be released ... any news on the HTC Blizzard?

Also... i know Orange have disabled the Wifi but couldnt some genius from this very site enable it?

Cheers, Wal :D

Edit : Spelling

Edited by w411y

Guest Paul [MVP]
Hi Paul,

Can you tell me what it's got in the way of voice dialling and commands. I'd read somewhere that WM 5 was going to incorporate MS Voice Command for Smartphone - the app that never seems to arrive  :x

As with one of the previous posts, I'm also interested in boot-up time for the C600. The C500 is sluglike and I gather the C550 is worse.

Pity about the lack of wifi, but you can see their thinking.  :D 

Thanx

There is only standard voice dialling included on C600 as with previous handsets... no Voice Command yet!

Bootup is still somewhat lethargic ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
2 questions:

1. How does the MSN Messenger on it look like? Saw few screens from the mobile 5 post. but is ther smiles etc? Could you post screens of the messenger version?

2. What about the battery time, how long is that roughly after your oppinion?

Messenger looks pretty much identical to previous versions... that is to say 'basic'... no emoticons ;)

Battery time, I wouldn't like to say as it varies on usage (and I hammer the GPRS on my handsets), but I have found it very good.

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Heya Paul ... first off i take my hat off to you for taking all these questions  ;)

On some page there was mentions of when a new device is going to be released ... any news on the HTC Blizzard?

Also... i know Orange have disabled the Wifi but couldnt some genius from this very site enable it? 

Cheers, Wal :D

Edit : Spelling

I haven't heard anything about the blizzard i'm afraid, or any future Smartphones surprisingly!

With regards to WiFi, as stated earlier in this thread, the hardware isn't in the Faraday, so it's not going to happen!

P

Just had a thought, but if you receive a call that's been diverted from another phone (say your work phone diverted to your personal phone), does it now let you know that the call's been diverted?

Nokias and the like do, but previously with MS, you'd no way of knowing that the incoming call was diverted.

TIA,

Pete.

Guest dolphinsmile
The alarm won't sound if the phone is off!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul you know this voodoo to do with smartphones.

How hard would it have been to include such a function?

Guest spark-x

1- Can you please post a photo or two taken with the camera on the phone? Maybe one indoor / one out door?

2- The screen is 256k but i assume it still only runs at 64k due to software limitations?

Thanks, ;)

S.

Edited by spark-x

Guest glynton

My old C500 was useless at sending anything via bluetooth like a photo or video clip. I found it very unintuitive and most of the time just didn't work at all. Has this been improved at all by the c600?

Thanks,

Glyn

Is the SPV C600 a HTC Tornado or a HTC Hurricane phone?

I want to know for SURE because i've seen in some places that is a TORNADO (without wifi) phone , and on other places that is a HURRICANE (with edge & wm5) phone ... so i am confused..

Somewhere I've read that HTC Tornado has a new proccesor and because of that the battery is better and the phone is faster, eg in: video playback (in comparisson with HTC Hurricane)

Thanks..

Edited by DSF

Guest awarner [MVP]
Paul you know this voodoo to do with smartphones.

How hard would it have been to include such a function?

Very hard, as you would have to either re-design the core bootloader elements of the phone or the OS, so the phone would hibernate in a way similar to PocketPC devices.

At the moment the OS does not run when powered off and the bootloader does not have an auto wakeup feature.

Guest awarner [MVP]

I want to know for SURE because i've seen in some places that is a TORNADO (without wifi) phone , and on other places that is a HURRICANE (with edge & wm5) phone ... so i am confused..

Somewhere I've read that HTC Tornado has a new proccesor and because of that the battery is better and the phone is faster, eg in: video playback (in comparisson with HTC Hurricane)

Thanks..

The C600 is actually an HTC Faraday device which is more closely related to the Tornado than the Hurricane. You could call the Faraday a Tornado without wi-fi

Guest Paul [MVP]
Just had a thought, but if you receive a call that's been diverted from another phone (say your work phone diverted to your personal phone), does it now let you know that the call's been diverted?

Nokias and the like do, but previously with MS, you'd no way of knowing that the incoming call was diverted.

TIA,

Pete.

No, there is no indication of that still.

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
1- Can you please post a photo or two taken with the camera on the phone? Maybe one indoor / one out door?

2- The screen is 256k but i assume it still only runs at 64k due to software limitations?

Thanks,  ;)

S.

I'll take some pics later today.

Yep, still running at 64k effectively (doesn't matter!)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
My old C500 was useless at sending anything via bluetooth like a photo or video clip. I found it very unintuitive and most of the time just didn't work at all. Has this been improved at all by the c600?

Thanks,

Glyn

It's via the 'beam' menu in pictures and videos, it works... but it's not the most feature rich in the world!

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Thanks..

It's a HTC Faraday which IS a Tornado without WiFi. It's more advanced than the hurricane, sharing the new OMAP 850 based platform with the Tornado!

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.