Ask Paul [MVP]: SPV C600 Q&A

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Jamma14

Any chance of checking out the orange plugin yet Paul? I've had another c600 user complaining he can't get my homescreen to work..

In HKLM\Software\Orange have you got a key called "(A2536C57-6A..."?

Guest Paul [MVP]

No keys with any CLSID (including that one) in that location... :-|

Will test the screen tho as soon as I can get to a machine with ActiveSync!

P

Guest Matt Whitfield
No Flash support i'm afraid Matt! ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn, perhaps Orange are missing a trick as it's standard on the i-Mode handsets that O2 are rolling out. We're definitely going to be doing something in this space soon so perhaps it'll be on the O2 i-Mode portal...

Guest Swampie
Paul, you said that any questions you can't answer will be passed to Orange.

Well, I got one for you... tell Orange that they made a bad move of disabling WiFi on this phone. Make them re-consider about our needs. You can see how many people was sad to hear about it in this thread.

Cheers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would assume that Orange would prefer to get people to use GPRS to access the internet, rather than wireless as they can charge for it.

The next phone/PDA I get I'll look for wireless on it - but it wouldn't get used that much I don't think. Setting up a Bluetooth network point would provide similar functionality.

D

Guest echolock
Why why why did orange choose not to incorporate WiFi?

One acronym. VOIP.

Apparently people still use mobile phones for voice conversations (how quaint). If they can download Skype and use that in a wifi hotspot, Orange make no cash.

I have a feeling wifi will generally be unpopular in "phone" form-factor smartphones and this is mainly due to the operators. The "PDA" form-factor smartphones of course will put in wifi as added-value for business users.

Edit Forgot to add that it's not just VOIP they're worried about. I suspect that Orange realise that their GSM-based network is essentially just a competitor to 802.11-based networks, not necessarily a complement. They don't want VOIP or any other future application which can use the larger bandwidth and cheaper costs of 802.11 to steal their thunder. Why put two networks on one phone when you can only control, and charge for, data that passes through one? Granted, GSM has a far greater coverage than 802.11 but I don't think people will be averse to using Skype when they're at home with their wifi and GSM when they're away from home. But Orange don't want that, quite understandably, when they can make customers pay for GSM when they're at home and away.

Of course this is rather like trying to frantically bail a sinking boat, as competitors may well decide to add wifi and somehow charge for it, or offer it for free to differentiate their networks from Orange. Also Orange know they could in the future be competing more with companies such as HTC who may decide that they can go it alone and sell handsets directly to consumers, which many do already. The one thing operators such as Orange are relying on is their handset subsidies: direct-from-manufacturer handsets are not subsidised, so are more expensive, and operators know that the bonus of having wifi isn't worth the extra cost to most consumers. But will that change if VOIP takes off? Who knows.

Hope this isn't too OT for this forum.

Edited by echolock

Guest mfvx5jb1

Paul

Can you install a CAB file that you email yourself or will it get all "nanny state" on you like the C500 does?

This was agreat way of trying small programs without having to be at a PC with ActiveSync.

I know you can plough through in a file explorer change the name etc, but its so much neater to just click, even if there were a warning.

The original SPV and E200 let you do this and was just wondering whether WM5 would let you.

Ta

JCB

Guest Paul [MVP]
Paul

Can you install a CAB file that you email yourself or will it get all "nanny state" on you like the C500 does?

This was agreat way of trying small programs without having to be at a PC with ActiveSync.

I know you can plough through in a file explorer change the name etc, but its so much neater to just click, even if there were a warning.

The original SPV and E200 let you do this and was just wondering whether WM5 would let you.

Ta

JCB

Unknown, will try this now!

P

Guest Griff_FFOC

Couple of quickies please.

Does the alarm sound if the profile is set on silent. Hence stopping calls and texts from sounding, but still allowing the alarm to go off.

On a general note. How robust does the phone feel? Does it feel like it'll fall apart, or keys stop working, at the first sign of being knocked or pressed too hard. Or does it feel weel built and quite solid, for example.

Cheers in advance.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Does the alarm sound if the profile is set on silent.  Hence stopping calls and texts from sounding, but still allowing the alarm to go off.

On a general note.  How robust does the phone feel?  Does it feel like it'll fall apart, or keys stop working, at the first sign of being knocked or pressed too hard. Or does it feel weel built and quite solid, for example.

Cheers in advance.

It feels very solid indeed.

Not sure about alarms, but that is a stupid bug... i'll test it now!

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Paul

Ta

JCB

Just tried it... unsafe attachment warning!

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Does the alarm sound if the profile is set on silent.  Hence stopping calls and texts from sounding, but still allowing the alarm to go off.

On a general note.  How robust does the phone feel?  Does it feel like it'll fall apart, or keys stop working, at the first sign of being knocked or pressed too hard. Or does it feel weel built and quite solid, for example.

Cheers in advance.

Argh!

Silent alarms are, well, silent! ;)

P

Guest UniqueTouch

Hi Paul,

Can you post a pic of the handsfree? What size jack is it?

When using the device as an MP3 player, does it the screen go blank (to conserve battery power) and keys lock (so no accidental presses affect playback).

Many thanks

Guest Pondrew
Hi Paul,

Does it still take a age to 'boot up' like the C500. Thats my main bugbear with my C500 (plus all the usual niggly things!)

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speak of which, I was rather surprised a couple of days ago on booting up both my SPV E200 and SPV C500 to find that the E200 was on the home page BEFORE the C500!? I'm putting it down to installed software or maybe that the C500 had a mini-sd in it while the E200 was empty...

Guest Paul [MVP]
Hi Paul,

Can you post a pic of the handsfree? What size jack is it?

When using the device as an MP3 player, does it the screen go blank (to conserve battery power) and keys lock (so no accidental presses affect playback).

Many thanks

I don't have the full retail pack yet, so can't post a pic of the handsfree (will do soon tho).

It's a standard 2.5mm jack unfortunately.

Will test the MP3 thang.

P

Guest richardlai

Still no FM radio I'm guessing?

Do you know who makes the screen?

Camera quality any good/better?

Quad-band or tri-band?

Edited by richardlai

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.