eTrust Antivirus annoyance on SP5

Guest Kinch

Guest UniqueTouch
Further to my last, there is a setting in the Messaging Settings for MMS that lets you choose the sending image RESOLUTION... whether to send at 160x120, 320x240, 640x480, or 'Original Resolution'

Before I hard reset my phone, I had discovered somewhere on the phone where this was controlled by File SIZE, not by resolution...

I can't bloomin' find this now... but as a stop gap, the Resolution one will work, changing it to 320x240 or lower.

Not sure how this effects vidoe though - I wonder if THAT'S where I saw these settings... Mmm...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are the daddy!! Your right, reducing the sending res fixed my problem!!

MMS > Account Options > MMS > Photo Resolution > QVGA (320x240)

The changed the pic I was sending (131kb) down to 18kb ;)

Message sent successfully...wahayy!!

Guest shadamehr
You are the daddy!! Your right, reducing the sending res fixed my problem!!

MMS > Account Options > MMS > Photo Resolution > QVGA (320x240)

The changed the pic I was sending (131kb) down to 18kb ;)

Message sent successfully...wahayy!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do TRY to please *lol*

I didn't get five stars by bribery (oh ok Ash, maybe a little bribery *lol*)

But seriously, just pleased to help - I used to do it once before, but to be able to help, you have to have a device yourself usually, and that's been my recent stumbling block, in my absence away from the SmartPhone fold...

Hopefully I can help chip in again now.

If you find its only 18KB at 320x240, try the next one up, that of 640x480 - a lot of the time they might work.

Having said that, if ALL they are for is for viewing on a phone screen, then 320x240 is more than big enough, and a good resolution to have - a lot of phones don't even have that size, so its a handy one.

Pleased to help mate - hope to be able to contribute more in future again and hit the final star in no time *lol*

Guest Paul [MVP]

Blimey, what a post....

So what we're saying is there needs to be lots of memory free to send MMS right?

I have mine always reduce to 648x480 to send the MMS, and that works fine (Orange).

The connection used to send on Orange is weirdly 'Secure WAP Network'...

Weirdness!

P

Guest shadamehr
,Nov 7 2005, 13:05]Blimey, what a post....

So what we're saying is there needs to be lots of memory free to send MMS right?

I have mine always reduce to 648x480 to send the MMS, and that works fine (Orange).

The connection used to send on Orange is weirdly 'Secure WAP Network'...

Weirdness!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct Paul.

ON SP5, you cannot send or receive MMS, if the phone has less than 4MB "free storage" irrespective of how much free RAM, how small the actual MMS you are sending is, or what resolution you use for the photo.

You get an error from the phone if you try with less than 4MB.

So what I was asking, is does this happen on the C600 too?

Is it a WM5.0 and Arcsoft MMS flaw/bug, or is it an SP5 specific one?

And when we find out which, do you still have any channels to 'feed' this back to the companies concerned mate?

As to me, and others, we'd rate this as a 'major' issue..

Certainly it is Service Affecting...

Edited by shadamehr

Guest Paul [MVP]

I just sent my C600 back as it was pre prod and my retail one should arrive any day, but i'll test it when it arrives.

So people actually use MMS? ;)

P

Guest wingnutLP

Hmmm, this sounds like fun!

Can anyone tell me how to tell what space I have left on my phone? Do I need a 3rd party app?

Also if you ho a hard reset what do you loose, is it basicaly like restoring all factory defaults wiping all teh software and settings etc...?

Thanks ;)

Guest shadamehr
Hmmm, this sounds like fun!

Can anyone tell me how to tell what space I have left on my phone? Do I need a 3rd party app?

Also if you ho a hard reset what do you loose, is it basicaly like restoring all factory defaults wiping all teh software and settings etc...?

Thanks ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Run either File Manager or Task Manager - both will do...

Press Menu, then System Info.

Voila

was speaking with ash last night and he said the 4mb problem has been around from the 2002 smartphones , done a test on my E200 and spv classic and when the mb is lower than 4mb it does not send an mms, guess we are using more phone memory than sd nowadays or the new applications and games use too much of the phones memory even if its installed on a sd card :|

i have noticed if you make a copy of all the shortcuts in the phones start menu and delete all the applications ( with the sd card out ) and then just copy the links back you can gain some extra memory back , have noticed though some applications install the same files to sd and phone even if you choose the sd card for the installation :|

Guest wingnutLP

Cool,

thanks. I was also looking for the CAB files that can be downloaded from the I mate site that sort out your operator settings. I have registered with the site but can't find them can anyone help point me in the correct direction?

The I mate site also seems to be incredibly slow (10 minutes for some pages to load!) which doesn't help!

Guest roma0803
Cool,

thanks. I was also looking for the CAB files that can be downloaded from the I mate site that sort out your operator settings. I have registered with the site but can't find them can anyone help point me in the correct direction?

The I mate site also seems to be incredibly slow (10 minutes for some pages to load!) which doesn't help!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the imate site is down since a couple of days. Just the mainpage is accessible.

Guest wingnutLP
I believe the imate site is down since a couple of days. Just the mainpage is accessible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, it works but just amazingly slowly. I managed to register but each page takes 5-10 minutes to load. I can find teh OS files for my sp5m but nothing about network setup.

Cool,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont think that this will 100% solve your problems of sending MMS.

I downloaded the .cab file, installed the O2 .cab file, changed the O to an o, hard reset my phone, reduced memory, changed the file size to QVGA, checked with O2 that i can send MMS and it still dont work.

I dont have the memory problem though as the error i get mentions nothing of memory, just that it cant send it.

:twisted:

Guest shadamehr
I dont have the memory problem though as the error i get mentions nothing of memory, just that it cant send it.

:twisted:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kinch,

Did you ever get a reply back from i-mate?

I was led to believe they had good customer support, but on telling them about the issues I had with the 4MB memory and MMS problem, and how I wanted to return the phone, I finally got a reply today from them, AFTER the seven days for returns had passed, and it was useless anyway, saying:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your Email. Regarding your query or device issue0, you may download the Operating System 1.5.331.4 which is available at our website at the following link: http://www.clubimate.com/t-DEVICE_SP5_LNK1.aspx. This ROM built includes Detailed i-mate™ instructions for the whole upgrade process are available on the companion CD that came with your device under “Add programs to my device > i-mate™ instruction manuals”

For any clarifications/queries, please do feel free to contact us and we shall be glad to be of assistance to you.

Kind Regards,

Mohammad Khalil

Technical Support Engineer

i-mate™ from Carrier Devices

* i-mate™ K-JAM: the ultimate messaging device with slider QWERTY keyboard and the fastest Wi-Fi technology, available now!

How flash updating to the EXISTING rom is meant to help, I do not know...

As we are given to believe thats all that is onsite just now - in fact, yup, that's my existing ROM - just checked.

Nice one i-mate - how long you had primary school children working for you?

Edited by shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

To which I sent a reply back saying:

And how exactly would flashing my phone's ROM to the exact same ROM it has already, and in the process losing all my files, settings, and customisation, HELP fix my issue exactly, or BENEFIT me at all?

I'm sorry, but I'm a great believer in "if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all".

I am amazed your level of support recommendations would amount to a customer losing all his data, to end up with a phone exactly no different to before.

Your recommendation amounts to nothing more than doing a Hard Reset, which I have ALREADY done anyway.

Quite frankly, I am disgusted at a response as poor and incorrect as this, and have posted so on various SmartPhone forums today.

Additionally, your delay in replying has meant the phone is now outwith of the seven day returns period, through no fault of my own - again that is terrible.

I am sure it is something my Trading Standards Team would be interested to hear about.

So, giving you the benefit of the doubt once more, can I ask you again...

Has anyone at i-mate even bothered to TEST what I have said, and doing so and seeing the problem for yourselves, have you conveyed this to Microsoft as the Software vendor, as this is almost surely a Software issue, not a hardware one for HTC.

I look forward to a more reasoned and sensible reply next time, at a reasonable convenience in terms of response time.

(Especially as for nearly all users, your website has been almost totally inaccesable this last week).

,name removed.

Edited by shadamehr

Yeah did try and update the ROM with the one on the i-mate website but it came up with an error that i already had it installed.

Good reply though, so tru. ;)

Guest someone

About eTrust anti virus (to get back on topic more or less ;) ), is it save to remove this program or disable it? I don't assume there are serious virus or other protection problems for smartphones, and think this will make the WM5 smartphone at least a bit faster?

Guest shadamehr

My view is that it is still WAY too early days for a SmartPhone virus...

So safe to remove.

But now having said that, I'm sure to be the first ever victim

;-)

;) :D i can see the next large thread 'shadamehr hit first by virus '

But we all have a virus implanted in our computers :shock: the modaco virus :shock: now wheres my rabbit gone :D :D

To which I sent a reply back saying:

8<--- *snip!*

Has anyone at i-mate even bothered to TEST what I have said, and doing so and seeing the problem for yourselves, have you conveyed this to Microsoft as the Software vendor, as this is almost surely a Software issue, not a hardware one for

HTC.

8<--- *snip!*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Microsoft didn't supply the MMS client, but it was an addition by the vendor?