Whats the verdict on M5000?

Guest Heartdoc

I'm on my third M5000 - second replacement has just arrived.

What is very noticable is that all three phones behaved completely differently from each other, in terms of bugs, speed and reception, etc. From my small sample, it would appear that the phone firmware and the Orange software load are not well developed, and are generating some odd conflicts.

Because the M5000 has so poor functionality in its telephone role, I thought about returning it and cancelling the whole upgrade. By the time someone has come up with a rewritten rom/install that gets the most out of the hardware, I'm sure HTC will have come up with a better device anyway.

[Dear HTC, next time please install external phone display, an external "Contacts" scroll device something like the Sony wheel, and maybe a simple membrane phone keypad.]

Surely one of the major points of the clamshell is that it protects that big screen from scratches and damage, without having to buy an after-market protective case.

While I'm on, I'll report that M5000 number three is also likely to go back to Orange: this one suffers a Windows crash nearly every time i close or manipulate the clamshell with the phone "page" displayed (menus open, but programmes cannot be stopped or started).

Here is a stupid bug which I've noticed on all three M5000s: you cannot disable screen "taps". The reason that you cannot do this, is that the "notifications" menu actually controls a second set of "taps" - if you "activate" screen taps, you in fact get a double tap!!! Oh, and has anyone noticed that the "soft" and "loud" settings are reversed? :?:

Guest removed-14
While I'm on, I'll report that M5000 number three is also likely to go back to Orange: this one suffers a Windows crash nearly every time i close or manipulate the clamshell with the phone "page" displayed (menus open, but programmes cannot be stopped or started).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woooaahh! Sounds like Orange has tinkered with the ROM a bit much (to quote another post in this thread). My O2 XDA Exec has had about 5 soft resets in the two weeks ive owned it. 4 due to playing with the Amiga Emulator Pocket UAE and one due to a very badly written task manager freeware item (not designed for WM5 so ill let the developer off).

Not had one issue where ive thought it could be faulty or OS bug. I admit the HTC Universial has a few design faults like the lack of an external caller ID screen (i too prefer to protect the screen in clam mode) and.... well thats my only gripe i guess!

Send your M5000 back and switch to O2!