Gameboy emulator for SPV - ALPHA code

Guest spacemonkey

Guest spacemonkey
Argh - getting frequent reboot crashes!

Playing Pokemon Gold, saved in the middle of a battle and it crashes around when I get the money for winning...

Yep, I got this as well. With Pokemon, is anyone else getting spontaneous reboots while playing other games than Pokemon?

Sorry guys, my bad... it seems on any ROM (at least for me) it reboots after being running for about 4-5 minutes... I've posted the previous version back onto my link... Hopefully I'll get this sussed tonight.

(So remember, previous version is the Storage Cardromfile.gbc rules)

I'm of course gonna try and fix it ;)

The file hasn't been carried across correctly - I had this problem, and realised that for some reason, the old version hadn't been overwritten...

A colleaque and I have tried deleting the GnuBoy.exe file, and then copying it back. It is still coming with the black screen, and exiting. I have got both .gb and .gbc files in the path = Storage CardProgram FilesGnuBoy. We have tried copying the .exe in the correct directory, and also in the root directory of the storage card - still no joy!!! :evil: Could somone please advise us as to what we are doing wrong.

Thanx!!!!!

Guest spacemonkey

Note my last message. GnuBoy HAS BEEN ROLED BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION. It is back to only using Storage Cardromfile.gbc.

I found there was a bug that caused the phone to crash and reboot after about 5 minutes running GnuBoy, with the pick list version. I will fix this tonight (I have a hunch as to what it is) and post again then.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Guest spacemonkey

Cheers Mboden.. I should be fine. It took me ages last night because I haven't done low level string functions for years (Unicode... what the hells with that ;) ) and also I had to learn the whole messaging thing it uses for talking between windows...

Got that all perfect and then plugged it in but did some dodgy stuff as far as create window and destroy window. What I think is happening is that the pick list window is still in existance after you've picked a ROM and then the OS is coming along after 5 minutes, and telling it to close (Auto-Closeing Background processes) and that's what's killing the phone. Just need to plug the window in properly and it should behave...

Unfortunately I have to work (damn this need for money) , so I can't do any more on it until I get home tonight.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Just testing...

[edit]

There is a bug with new pages not showing up until it has 2 or more posts then :/

Nice work so far btw spacemonkey ;)

[/edit]

Guest Paul [MVP]

Weird!

I am probably uploading a few updates to the forum software at the weekend, so hopefully this will fix it!

I'm on training all this week, so haven't had much time to do stuff...

P

Note my last message.  GnuBoy HAS BEEN ROLED BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION.  It is back to only using Storage Cardromfile.gbc.

I found there was a bug that caused the phone to crash and reboot after about 5 minutes running GnuBoy, with the pick list version.  I will fix this tonight (I have a hunch as to what it is) and post again then.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Spacemonkey, there's no need to apologise to anyone. You have developed a very good app. It's very rare that a first generation port of an emulator runs this good. I have seen new emus on the GP32, GBA, PocketPC. And trust me, this is one of the best first release emus. You are a very good coder.

Your work is very much appreciated in my office. Will await your next version of the GnuBoy in anticipacation.

Guest crimminsky

A colleaque and I have tried deleting the GnuBoy.exe file, and then copying it back. It is still coming with the black screen, and exiting. I have got both .gb and .gbc files in the path = Storage CardProgram FilesGnuBoy. We have tried copying the .exe in the correct directory, and also in the root directory of the storage card - still no joy!!! :evil: Could somone please advise us as to what we are doing wrong.

Thanx!!!!!

you can only have one romfile.gbc in the same folder as gnuboy.exe.

A little tip for you guys, lets say you have five gbc roms, create a folder for each game, I.E pokemon gold etc.

copy the pokemon gold rom into that folder and put the other roms in their named folders.

put the gnuboy exe file in storagegard/

copy and paste one of you rom files into the same folder, make sure it's called/renamed to romfile.gbc

execute gnuby.exe and play your game.

when you've had enough of that game, CUT and paste the romfile back to its original named folder, also CUT and paste any romfile.000 and romfile.sav files too.

you can now copy and paste a different game into the storagecard/ and play that.

if you want to go bak to the first game, copy all the romfile.*** from that folder to storagecard/ and you will find that the game plays from where you left, I.E a crude way of saving your games...great for mgs and harrypotter etc

points to remember

1. only one romfile.gbc in the same folder as gnuboy.exe

2. it MUST be named romfile.gbc and nothing else

3. no game will work if there is a left over .000 or .sav file with the gnuboy.exe file.

Hope this helps someone ;)

sorry for the long post

Guest spacecowboy6982

Hey y'all,

Here's the dillyo,

Finally got it unlocked, the favorit has been changed!! cheers 2 evre1 that helped!

But:

Everytime I load the game up it doesnt work. It has a blackscreen for a second and says gnuboy CE at the top??

There is only 1 romfile.gbc in storage card along with gnuboy.exe. There is also about 40 mp3's (128mb sd card) From there I created a new shortcut and copied it over 2 into the games folder.(IPSMWindowsStart MenuGames. The short cut is named "short cut to gnuboy.exe" oddly enough lol)

Can any1 throw sum light on this??

Cheers, SpaceCowboy

Guest spacemonkey

So the romfile.gbc, it is actually CALLED 'romfile.gbc', it's not like bubblebobble.gbc or something?

And they are on your storage card in 'Storage Card' not in like 'Storage Cardsome directory'?

The quick exit you're getting is definitely a ROM not found (or maybe invalid) type error. If you are 100% sure of the name and location of the ROM, try getting a different ROM and trying that. Breakout from the gambit studios page definitely works (although it's crap).

I occasionally get the same problem. These are just unsupported roms. Not a problem with the emulator or phone itself, see one of my earlier posts on this thread for a couple of examples of which roms work and which dont

Guest Shuflie

Assuming that all the roms that you have tried out have been in the correct format for the emulator is there anything that could possibly stop them from running. For example do they have on cartridge storage for save games and settings that may not be getting read properly in the emulator?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Aftre you have played a game if you look at where you have placed the file

you will see a new file called romfile.sav

so then when you restart the game you will find that you are where you left off. ;)

The emulator seems to have a problem handling roms of a file size more than around 1.5mb, all of the 1mb roms work fine but if the file size is much more than this, say 4mb (rayman) it slows right down.

Guest spacemonkey

ROMs and compatability... the emulator is all GnuBoy code... this is not an exact GameBoy, it's a close approximation. Somestuff may not work, and it's unlikely that I'll be interested in fixing it (unless it's the best game ever, but even then...).

The files that get produced...

On a game boy, the game card might have some memory on it that it will write high scores or save games to (if in game it has a 'save' function).

This info is automatically written on exit (and loaded on startup) in the romfile.sav

The gamboy also has a realtime clock. I'm not sure whether this clock on a real gameboy counts all the time or just while it's switched on. Some games use this clock ongoing to tell you your play time, run night and day effects etc.

This info is automatically written and read in the romfile.rtc

The gameboy itself also has some memory that it uses in runtime, this is what picture is on the screen, where the ball in breakout is, etc... basically EXACTLY what is happening right now in the game. Saving and restoring this data makes the need to "SAVE" a game irrelevant because GnuBoy will always come back exactly as you left it. (important for Zelda/Pokemon, irrelevant for Bubble Bobble). This info is saved in romfile.000

Once it goes multi ROM all of these will be stored per game with sensible names as you would expect.

Guest spacemonkey

Works good on Pokemon Gold which is a 2Mb rom. I wouldn't be surprised if it slowed down, It's gotta load the ROM into memory (remember that phone memory that we have bugger all of). Similarly a big ROM is more likely to take ages to load (Doom seems to have the same problem of sometimes taking minutes to load).

I think the slow load problem may be something to do with demanding a big piece of memory and the phone OS going away and trying to clean up heap space before it lets the game load. (defragging the heap?)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Incedentally the Battleships ROM i tried hung the phone after 10 seconds. Mario 2 the killed he keyboard, that was with the latest (buggy) version though so...

I'll try some more over the weekend

Guest Shuflie

If the emulator exits properly then will we be left with a big hunk of free memory on the phone that would speed up the loading of another program? Make me wish that mytools worked properly, then we could get rid of all the junk before loading Gnuboy, Doom etc.