Smartphone Game Emulators for C550

Guest Parallax20

Guest Parallax20
paralax check this out:

http://www.foxysofts.com/index.php?l=content/gba/anworld.inc

Another World (aka Out of this world) is a famous french game on Amiga, some french guy turned the game from Amiga to Gba for free. Do you think you could contact them to obtain the sources ? click on "Ecrire" to write an email.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I remember Out of this world for the Amiga it was great with its cinematography style of gameplay. There is no need to port the game as there are versions of it for PicoDrive and PocketSNES. PicoDrive version runs a lot smoother and much more playable.

I don't work on individual games as there is very little to gain from it. Whereas an emulators opens up a whole game library. Know what I mean?

Thanks for the screenshots of the emu in action.

For those that have SmartNES previously, how does it compare in terms of usablility and performance?

Parallax.

Guest Parallax20
Also, one minor thing - if I launch the emu from the file explorer, and then play it for a bit, and then exit the emu, the emu is gone, but there is kinda a screen draw problem, where the graphic from the last played game is still on the screen even though I am back now into the file explorer. Everything still works fine, I can scroll up and down in the file explorer and as I do the screen draws those lines properly... actually, if I jump back to the home screen and then back to the file explorer, the residual graphics are gone completely. Not a big deal, but I just thought you may want to know. Also, I notice that this doesn't happen consistently, it's sorta off and on.. Anway, here's a screenshot. Again, excellent work and thank you so much for releasing these great emulators!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Shareef,

I think I found the problem...the emu wasn't calling all the cleanup routines required. I've done a few quick tests just to verify, but if you could confirm that its all closing down ok, that would be more assuring.

New update on first post.

Parallax.

Guest Parallax20
well to be honest,pocketnester sux compared to smartnes, speed and sound is way better with smartnes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm quite surprised to hear that. Can you elaborate on the speed and sound differences?

I don't know too much about the internals of SmartNES, whether certain options were hardcoded to enable it to run faster or sound better. But what I can tell you, is that I've exposed frameskipping and sound options to tweak the emu to whatever speed or sound quality you want. I know SmartNES hasn't got any of these features. So with the right settings it should be comparable if not better than SmartNES in all those areas.

I have the follow settings and it runs great for me.

Frameskip = 4 (seems to be optimal)

SampleRate = 22 khz

SampleSize = 8

Buffer Len = 12

Channels = uncheck Noise

Filters = None

New update of PocketNester

Parallax.

Edited by Parallax20

i have got to say that your port of picodrive has got to be the best emu so far . i have been following this thred for a while and tried the other emus posted but none seem to cut it like the picodrive i have currently got 30 sega roms on my phone and so much more to try and there hasnt been many glitches apart from an accelerator problem in all of the motor games i have tried, nearly all games i tried run on almost all of the screen in portrait a few games shrink black blocks to the left and right of the screen but very few like that.

many thanx 4 the work ya done

sno

I'm quite surprised to hear that.  Can you elaborate on the speed and sound differences? 

I don't know too much about the internals of SmartNES, whether certain options were hardcoded to enable it to run faster or sound better.  But what I can tell you, is that I've exposed frameskipping and sound options to tweak the emu to whatever speed or sound quality you want.  I know SmartNES hasn't got any of these features.  So with the right settings it should be comparable if not better than SmartNES in all those areas.

I have the follow settings and it runs great for me.

Frameskip = 4 (seems to be optimal)

SampleRate = 22 khz

SampleSize = 8

Buffer Len = 12

Channels = uncheck Noise

Filters = None

New update of PocketNester

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nah, still way slower then smartnes, if the action/gameplay starts the sound is all f-ed and its terrible slow, while smartnes just plays perfectly ... the smartnes source you can obtain by messaging the author although when he quit the project 2 years ago he asked a bit of money for the source but that was 2 years ago........ http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=98729

Paralax on C600 it's of course perfect never seen any slowdown but

-I have trouble to use main menu key as main button

-as allways Rainbow island is awful (what's wrong with this game??)

badword i discovered a french version of Kirby ! excellent game !!!!! i think i will stop playing kirby on GB thanx for this NES port

Guest Fei Hung
Not all ROMS are compatible with PocketSNES.  The core engine is still being developed to run more games.  What game are you trying to run?

Picodrive - I don't recall anyone reporting problems with the screen rendering on this emu.  What game are you trying to run?  Does it happen on all games you've tried? 

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Parallax, I tried running FFIII on it, maybe it's not compatible with it :?:

And now Picodrive wont even run on my phone, I try to load a rom and it just goes back to the previous screen i was on. The game i tried to run was Sonic the Hedgehog 3. I'm not too bothered about this emulator but i would like to know what the solution to this problem is, thanks ;)

Edited by Fei Hung

Guest farmski

farmski - I thought you couldn't get Mame to work on your phone...Have you resolved the problem? If so what was causing your directional key issue? This will help others which may have encountered the same problem.

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest farmski
Yes, I remember Out of this world for the Amiga it was great with its cinematography style of gameplay.  There is no need to port the game as there are versions of it for PicoDrive and PocketSNES.  PicoDrive version runs a lot smoother and much more playable.

I don't work on individual games as there is very little to gain from it.  Whereas an emulators opens up a whole game library.  Know what I mean?

Thanks for the screenshots of the emu in action.

For those that have SmartNES previously, how does it compare in terms of usablility and performance? 

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

isnt that the same game as flash back on the megadrive???

looks farmilure!! sorta the same kinda game as prince of persia??

run jump, collect keys n stuff!! if its one and the same, flashback is what you want!!

Guest farmski
i have got to say that your port of picodrive has got to be the best emu so far . i have been following this thred for a while and tried the other emus posted but none seem to cut it like the picodrive i have currently got 30 sega roms on my phone and so much more to try and there hasnt been many glitches apart from an accelerator problem in all of the motor games i have tried, nearly all games i tried run on almost all of the screen in portrait  a few games shrink black blocks to the left and right of the screen but very few like that.

many thanx 4 the work ya done

sno

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i found that all of the 200 games that i have on the picodrive are so much faster than the nes emu!! nes does seem to be a bit slow, which seems odd as they are both 16bit,

Guest shareef
Hi Shareef,

I think I found the problem...the emu wasn't calling all the cleanup routines required.  I've done a few quick tests just to verify, but if you could confirm that its all closing down ok, that would be more assuring.

New update on first post.

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it's definitely closing down OK, it was just leaving the screen image behind. I've installed the new version and will let you know if I still experience the same problem.

Keep up the great work!!

Guest Parallax20
i found that all of the 200 games that i have on the picodrive are so much faster than the nes emu!! nes does seem to be a bit slow, which seems odd as they are both 16bit,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you refering to the SNES emu? Its not so much the fact that they are both 16bits, it has more to do with how the CPU core is emulated and designed. Dave@finalburn used assembler to compile to Cyclone 6800 CPU core, so it will definitely run faster, whilst the SNES is purely compile in C. Plus I think the SNES also had more cpu chips to emulate, hence the speed differences.

Parallax.

Guest farmski
Are you refering to the SNES emu?  Its not so much the fact that they are both 16bits, it has more to do with how the CPU core is emulated and designed.  Dave@finalburn used assembler to compile to Cyclone 6800 CPU core, so it will definitely run faster, whilst the SNES is purely compile in C.  Plus I think the SNES also had more cpu chips to emulate, hence the speed differences.

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol!! means nothing to me!! sounded quite good though!!

does that mean that there is a faster snes emu for spv? whats a cyclone, to me that refurs to the inovation made by dyson, the hoove manufacturer lol

Guest Parallax20
lol!! means nothing to me!! sounded quite good though!!

does that mean that there is a faster snes emu for spv? whats a cyclone, to me that refurs to the inovation made by dyson, the hoove manufacturer lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cyclone is just the name dave@finalburn calls his 68000 cpu emulator. Both consoles used the 68000 cpu as its main processor, but how they are emulated is different in PicoDrive and PocketSNES.

The theory is, if someone did use the Cyclone CPU core for the SNES emu, then I would think it would run pretty much at the same speed, except the extra chips use in the SNES.

Parallax.

Guest Parallax20
farmski - I thought you couldn't get Mame to work on your phone...Have you resolved the problem? If so what was causing your directional key issue? This will help others which may have encountered the same problem.

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i really havnt got a clue!!

i installed it about 3 times, no go, went to the mamece site, installed again but no go, then i though, right bitch!!! one more try!! and it worked!!

so thats cool!!

but some of the games do get stuck on the black ok screen still, even if it just says press any key!! so im not sure what the problem is, might be bad roms, but they do work on pc mame,

one thing though!! you can only use the up down/left right directions, i.e not shoot at 45 degrees?!?!?! which is a bummer!!

i guess thats just a prob with the actual phone joystick though!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest JesusDoesVegas

i think my last comment got burried, and it in my opinion warrants a repost..

How do other peoples phones handle when a call is recieved while playing one of the emulators? Mine sort of freeks out and flashes the mainscreen softkey buttons over the emulator, i can usually answer the call, but after im done i have to restart the phone as there is no way of exiting the emulator or even playing it. Is there a way to make it automatically pause the game, and minimize the emulator while a call is recieved?

Guest gregmiddleton

excellent work on these emulators is there any way of increasing the game comptibility in picodrive cause it won't play any codemasters games on my c550. other than that superb emulator. what about game gear emulators?

Guest gijsdvm

Are all the downloads on the first page updated to the latest versions?

and where do you guys download the ROMs?

Edited by gijsdvm

Guest Jamma14
Are all the downloads on the first page updated to the latest versions?

and where do you guys download the ROMs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Yes - all on the first page.

2. You rip them off the game cartridges that you legally own.

(Or download rips of the ones you own, although sites hosting them host all the other roms and so are on a very thin line between being legal and illegal).

For this reason MoDaCo doesn't permit linking to sites hosting roms, and even asking for them can get you in trouble.

Rules ;)

James

Guest shareef
Yes, it's definitely closing down OK, it was just leaving the screen image behind. I've installed the new version and will let you know if I still experience the same problem.

Keep up the great work!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to follow up, I've been playing the new version pretty heavily ;) and have NOT been able to reproduce the problem... so looks like you fixed it!

Guest shareef
i think my last comment got burried, and it in my opinion warrants a repost..

How do other peoples phones handle when a call is recieved while playing one of the emulators?  Mine sort of freeks out and flashes the mainscreen softkey buttons over the emulator, i can usually answer the call, but after im done i have to restart the phone as there is no way of exiting the emulator or even playing it.  Is there a way to make it automatically pause the game, and minimize the emulator while a call is recieved?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The experience was perfect for me on my SP5 while playing pocketnester - I received a phone call, the emulator paused my game, and the incoming call dialogue box came up on the screen. I was then able to accept the call and after hanging up, I was able to resume my game and continue playing ;). It worked absolutely perfectly.

When I get a chance I will test pockegnuboy and mamece and post my results.

Guest shareef
The experience was perfect for me on my SP5 while playing pocketnester - I received a phone call, the emulator paused my game, and the incoming call dialogue box came up on the screen. I was then able to accept the call and after hanging up, I was able to resume my game and continue playing  8). It worked absolutely perfectly.

When I get a chance I will test pockegnuboy and mamece and post my results.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I've tested incoming calls while running both mamece and pocketgnuboy on my SP5. In the end, I was able to receive and end phone calls with both, although the experience was much better with pocketgnuboy.

pocketgnuboy: exactly the same experience as in pocketnester - I launched the emu, loaded a rom, started playing and then called my cell. The emu immediately paused my game, and then the incoming dialogue box came on the screen... I accepted the call, and then after hanging up the call I was able to resume my game ;)

mamece: I launched the emu, loaded up tempest (fun game!) :D, started a game, then called my cell... the top of the incoming dialogue box and the bottom soft keys (answer and ignore) came on the screen, but the emulator continued on playing in the center of what would have been the incoming dialogue box. I then pressed answer (left soft key) and was able to accept the call, although the emu kept on running :D... I then pressed the end key to end the call, and that worked too... but as soon as I pressed the end key, mamece displayed the palette screen (and paused the game) - this is just a side effect though, since in mamece the end key is mapped by default to the palette display.

So, could it be the fact that mamece doesn't incorporate pause/resume and also possibly because it is running full screen instead of windowed, that it doesn't handle incoming calls as elegantly as both pocketnester and pocketgnuboy..??

Edited by shareef

Hi Parallax + other peeps!

Amazing work on the emus again, I am so indebted to you for all my fun hours of retro gaming action!

İ remember posting a similar question about Genesis abd SNES differences in emu speed. Your last anwer basically opens up doors to full speed SNES emulation on smartphone if only you can get your hands on faster (assembly) coded CPU emulation...... Sounds like a job for some whızzkid to me.

Secondly about out of this world / another world if you own the game it also was released on Genesis / Megadrive so no port is needed. İts already fully playable.

On a final note İ would like to share my fav game of the moment, whıch is DUNE 2 on genesis! İ can,t believe this game is playable on SPV C500!!!! Just amazıng!

Cheers

M. Troni

Guest JesusDoesVegas
Ok, I've tested incoming calls while running both mamece and pocketgnuboy on my SP5. In the end, I was able to receive and end phone calls with both, although the experience was much better with pocketgnuboy.

pocketgnuboy: exactly the same experience as in pocketnester - I launched the emu, loaded a rom, started playing and then called my cell. The emu immediately paused my game, and then the incoming dialogue box came on the screen... I accepted the call, and then after hanging up the call I was able to resume my game ;)

mamece: I launched the emu, loaded up tempest (fun game!)  :D, started a game, then called my cell... the top of the incoming dialogue box and the bottom soft keys (answer and ignore) came on the screen, but the emulator continued on playing in the center of what would have been the incoming dialogue box. I then pressed answer (left soft key) and was able to accept the call, although the emu kept on running :D... I then pressed the end key to end the call, and that worked too... but as soon as I pressed the end key, mamece displayed the palette screen (and paused the game) - this is just a side effect though, since in mamece the end key is mapped by default to the palette display.

So, could it be the fact that mamece doesn't incorporate pause/resume and also possibly because it is running full screen instead of windowed, that it doesn't handle incoming calls as elegantly as both pocketnester and pocketgnuboy..??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hrm... try I had the most problems with the picodrive (thats when it restarted on its own) It could just be my phone though, or the fact that i have the games on the phones storage instead of a card (dont have the $$$ for that at the moment).