Smartphone Game Emulators for C550

Guest Parallax20

Guest kersley

Ok for the bad news parallax...So, through your experience, you think it's technically impossible or too complicated to developp the GBA emulator on the SPV?

Guest Parallax20

Ninjaw - I tested the emu with Renegade, 1943 and Pang. They all worked perfectly fine and are >400k. The game list initialises on emu startup...I will take a look to see if I can get it to refresh on "Load ROM". This may cause some delay as the lists tests to see if the ROM files exists everytime.

If you launch a game that doesn't exists, the screen will go black for a while...wait a few seconds and then press the ESC key to return to the main menu. You don't need to reboot your phone.

JesusDoesVegas - I did manage to get MarioRPG to load up the intro screen but it seemed to freeze when you try to start the game. I don't know if this is due to incomplete instructions in the core. It didn't work at all in version 1.39 but the fact that it half works in 1.43 means some progess is being made. We can only hope the next version Snes9x core will fix this problem.

Parallax.

Edited by Parallax20

Guest Parallax20
I noticed on PocketGnuboy if you put the option draw with GAPI then it runs perfectly. The only problem is the screen is cut off weird and sliced a bit. I am running it on WM 2003 on a I930. Anyway to fix the screen position?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry mate, I don't quite know what you mean. If you have a low res phone the only available screen size to you is the 160x140, anything larger probably gets clipped. The other res are designed for QVGA phones, apologises if this wasn't instantly obvious. Whats wrong with the screen position? Is it not centered?

Parallax.

Guest efishta
Sorry mate, I don't quite know what you mean.  If you have a low res phone the only available screen size to you is the 160x140, anything larger probably gets clipped.  The other res are designed for QVGA phones, apologises if this wasn't instantly obvious.  Whats wrong with the screen position?  Is it not centered?

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the problem he is talking about - I'm using an MPx220. GAPI runs much smoother, and I would assume full speed. It's just this graphical glitch that you can see in the attached screenshot.

Also, is there really no progress being made in the 1.43 core PocketSNES for the low-res smartphones? FF6 and ChronoTrigger run too slow in the other port, and I'm itching to play these games during class... (lol, should be studying I suppose)

post-105549-1136674499_thumb.jpg

Guest Parallax20
This is the problem he is talking about - I'm using an MPx220. GAPI runs much smoother, and I would assume full speed. It's just this graphical glitch that you can see in the attached screenshot.

Also, is there really no progress being made in the 1.43 core PocketSNES for the low-res smartphones? FF6 and ChronoTrigger run too slow in the other port, and I'm itching to play these games during class... (lol, should be studying I suppose)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks efishta, this helps alot. I don't recall getting this in the wm2003 emulator, but I'll take a look at it again to see what might be causing it. Does this only happen when you turn on GAPI?

Parallax.

Guest thrasher086
Thanks efishta, this helps alot.  I don't recall getting this in the wm2003 emulator, but I'll take a look at it again to see what might be causing it.  Does this only happen when you turn on GAPI?

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. It is fine when you turn it off but with GAPI it is so smooth. Would be great to get that without the glitch cause even the sound is smooth.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hey guys I cant find the download either.

Could someone report the link please.

***EDIT, I FOUND IT. DONT WORRY***

Edited by Dr_StrangeTrick

easy parallax20 mate i'm having problems with the mame emu,

the emulator starts up i try to load a rom in and it goes to a black screen that doesnt want to go anywhere. also the roms i have tried are multiple files which is new to me as i've been using picodrive which only uses one file, what am i doing wrong.

thanx for you're work on these emu's you have done an absolute belter job.

sno

Guest Parallax20
easy parallax20 mate i'm having problems with the mame emu,

the emulator starts up i try to load a rom in and it goes to a black screen that doesnt want to go anywhere. also the roms i have tried are multiple files which is new to me as i've been using picodrive which only uses one file, what am i doing wrong.

thanx for you're work on these emu's you have done an absolute belter job.

sno

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't unzip mame roms. Just transfer the zip files directly to a ROMS subfolder of the mame application. Mame is fussy with rom filenames...if it doesn't match what it has in its database, its probably the wrong version or a bootleg version that isn't supported. I think only the 0.36 version roms work with this emu. I don't know how you can tell without it running, so I guess its trial and error.

Some games just won't work because the hardware or drivers were missing from the MameCE3 source. I've not tried many roms but the 3 I did try worked. You could try making these run first before attempting others.

Parallax.

Guest Parallax20
Yup. It is fine when you turn it off but with GAPI it is so smooth. Would be great to get that without the glitch cause even the sound is smooth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll fix this soon plus I'll turn on GAPI by default. This option was made available for PPC, but for smartphone GAPI will always be faster and so it doesn't make sense to have an option to turn it off.

Look out for an update soon.

Parallax.

Guest CiTaNuL

Hey, Parallax, thank you very much for your efforts. Your SmartNES version works great with all games I've tested it with (except the Donkey Kong series unfortunatelly). All in all great work!

The only problem left for me now is that the SDA's problem with multi-keypressing makes most games totally unplayable. Does anyone here know if you can fix this, i.e. enable multi-keypress on the T-mobile SDA?

I've already tried searching on several sites without any luck....

Guest Parallax20
Hey, Parallax, thank you very much for your efforts. Your SmartNES version works great with all games I've tested it with (except the Donkey Kong series unfortunatelly). All in all great work!

The only problem left for me now is that the SDA's problem with multi-keypressing makes most games totally unplayable. Does anyone here know if you can fix this, i.e. enable multi-keypress on the T-mobile SDA?

I've already tried searching on several sites without any luck....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a hardware problem and cannot be fixed in software. If you need multi-presses you will have to redefine your directional keys to use the keypad.

Parallax.

Guest CiTaNuL

I already tried this (redefining direction keys to the keypad) but it doesn't work this way as well. It's the same with any two buttons pressed at the same time... but thanks anyway.

Guest kevinou06

Great work Parallax20 :D :D :D it's very good !!!

just one think, is it possible to reconfigure the touch, to use the direction with the keyboard( not the joytick ) in the gnuboy emulator ?

(tell me if you don't understand what I said..my english is very bad :D )

Thanks and good job again ;) :D :D

Guest Poolkv
How did you get it to work on your MPX-200 ??

Could someone please help me out.

I install the .exe and .dll but when i try to run the .exe it just wont start.

I get a error on my screen saying : Can't find 'PocketSNES' or one of it's components. Be sure that the path or filename are corrupt and that all required libraries are available.

Couls somebody tell me what i'm doing wrong or how i can fix it ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could someone please please please help me out ???

I really want to try the emu's ;)

Guest Parallax20

PocketGnuboy updated.

thrasher086 - I think I've fixed the display screen offset problem on low res phones. I've only tested this on my phone but its not an exact test as mine is QVGA. So please let me know if its worked or not.

kevinou06 - I've changed to Key configuration screen to include directional key. You should now be able to redefine the directional keys to use the keypad buttons.

I've also defaulted GAPI draw mode and have disabled the option in the preferences screen. Now the refresh rate should be at its optimum.

Get the latest update from the first post.

Parallax.

Guest thrasher086
PocketGnuboy updated.

thrasher086 - I think I've fixed the display screen offset problem on low res phones.  I've only tested this on my phone but its not an exact test as mine is QVGA.  So please let me know if its worked or not.

kevinou06 - I've changed to Key configuration screen to include directional key.  You should now be able to redefine the directional keys to use the keypad buttons.

I've also defaulted GAPI draw mode and have disabled the option in the preferences screen.  Now the refresh rate should be at its optimum.

Get the latest update from the first post.

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great Work Man! It runs the smoothest I ever seen an emulator on my phone. Still slows down a bit when lots of action happens like in Zelda games but I don't think there is away around that since the phones CPU is slow enough. What is GAPI draw mode anyway? Seems to make everything run better. Anyway to add it to other emulators?

Guest JesusDoesVegas

CiTuNaL - the only combo i have found to work is * and the D-pad. Im using the smt 5600.

Im wondering if there would be a way to use a ps2 USB adapter (modified to use the smartphone input or mabee bluetooth)

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...62333fe349c02ec

It might possibly be a bit overkill for a phone (carrying around the controller, converter, and phone), but it may be the solution to the hardware limitations of the c500 type phones.

Guest efishta

When GAPI is enabled (now forced-enabled in the latest version), pressing the Menu button (right soft key) doesn't access the menu any longer, but rather crash-exits the program. In the previous release, when GAPI was not enabled, it allowed you to return to the menu to change preferences, as well as save states etc.

This may not happen in the QVGA phones, but it does on the MPx220.

Guest thrasher086
When GAPI is enabled (now forced-enabled in the latest version), pressing the Menu button (right soft key) doesn't access the menu any longer, but rather crash-exits the program. In the previous release, when GAPI was not enabled, it allowed you to return to the menu to change preferences, as well as save states etc.

This may not happen in the QVGA phones, but it does on the MPx220.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you try configuring the buttons and making the Menu a different button. I have a I930 which is very close to your phone and mine doesn't so that.

Guest Parallax20
Did you try configuring the buttons and making the Menu a different button. I have a I930 which is very close to your phone and mine doesn't so that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the screen positioning ok now?

Parallax.