T-Mobile MDA Compact II with WM5 available now

Guest Pondrew

I'm mainly a data user of 1 to 30MB a month and make few calls (mainly receive) It's allways made me laugh that you can get a nice shiney 3G phone for £30 a month and it doesn't even include data (3g !!!!)

To me the attraction of the Web n walk is the 40MB which is pretty unheard of. So the compact ii is just a bonus for me

Can someone whos got one answer me the following:

1. Is it right the line rental stays at 1/2 after 18 months --- I'm looking at it as £13 a month for 40MB of data for life (with a little peak of £28 a month for 6 months) which to be honest - will do me fine  ;)

yes that is correct for the w'n'w 100

2. Even though the Compact ii isn't 3G do T-Mobile supply it with a usim 3g card
Its supplied with a 2G sim, however later down the road there is no harm in asking for a 3G sim.

3. Can you use the sim (with the right equipment or cable) with a laptop to surf - or is it ringfenced in some way

yes u can, no limitation only how much u are willing to spend :)

4. If you put the sim in a 3g handset does it work at 3g speeds or is web n walk strictly GPRS

w'n'w is strictly the name of the tariff, speed is irrevalent, so u could have just opted for say the MDA Pro or any other 3G device. Now if u did that they would of course send a 3G sim with the handset :D

As I needed a replacement for my MDA Jam (cooked compact) I considered the Compact II and had one for 2 days, however after having having a play with the Vario (unbranded all logos, locks etc removed), I just couldnt help myself.. everything i wanted in the Jam, plus a resonable OS, wifi and slide out keypad, my only wish is that it was a 3G handset and thinner but I can wait for the release of the HTC Hermes variant.

ntil later

Jim

Edited by jfran

Guest Peppermint Hippo
jfran - Thanks for taking the time to answer ... shame they don't supply a 3g card as standard that I could then use in my 3g modem - can't have everything I suppose

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mate who got a Vario on a Web n Walk tariff popped his sim into a 3G phone and the sim was 3G enabled as standard! So, they may have them 3G as standard now.

Guest Pondrew

Hmmm. That would explain why My T-Mobile online account says the MDA Compact II number is Video Calling enabled! Shame I haven't got a 3G device to test it in... :)

Sorry bout the delay on the review folks, busy time of year. It is coming and at the moment it's something of a mixed bag! (the clouds and the silver linings are struggling for supremacy!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest theyeti

Hi all,

A quick question regarding this device: does it keep data saved when there is no power - like any conventional phone? Or does it behave like traditional PDA, where power loss leads to memory clearing?

Your feedback will be most appreciated

thanks

theyeti

Guest Pondrew
Hi all,

A quick question regarding this device: does it keep data saved when there is no power - like any conventional phone? Or does it behave like traditional PDA, where power loss leads to memory clearing?

Your feedback will be most appreciated

thanks

theyeti

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has persistant storage and so won't lose it's data when the battery runs out...

Guest hecatae
My mate who got a Vario on a Web n Walk tariff popped his sim into a 3G phone and the sim was 3G enabled as standard! So, they may have them 3G as standard now.

All new T-Mobile contract sims are 3G enabled as standard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.