Menu doesn't appear

Guest saintone1

Guest flywest

Hey guys, hopefully this will solve the mystery that frustrated me too much also.

But a specific example would be the Mac OS X.cab which is sweet but has the start menu problem. Well I think it is because that .CAB installs the start menu screen to a storage card. Go into your registry settings and change the location of the start menu background file to the device and not the storage card. It would make sense that when the phone is booting and loading the start menu background it hasn't read the storage card yet. Anyhow, may solve some other problems for people as well. Give it a shot!

Link to change start menu background instructions

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=242980

Guest 4A*e Nyt
Go into your registry settings and change the location of the start menu background file to the device and not the storage card. It would make sense that when the phone is booting and loading the start menu background it hasn't read the storage card yet. Anyhow, may solve some other problems for people as well. Give it a shot!

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=242980

Flywest, I am trying to do this. I have used regeditSTD to get into BKBitmapFile. However, now I don't know what to do. I see the path for a start.pic file in Storage as you suggest but I don't know what to change it to. I can't find another file called start.pic or anything close to it on my phone. Do you know what file I should ask it to access?

Sorry if I sound a bit dull. I am new to smartphones and windows mobile.

Thanks for any help.

Curt

Guest flywest
Flywest, I am trying to do this. I have used regeditSTD to get into BKBitmapFile. However, now I don't know what to do. I see the path for a start.pic file in Storage as you suggest but I don't know what to change it to. I can't find another file called start.pic or anything close to it on my phone. Do you know what file I should ask it to access?

Sorry if I sound a bit dull. I am new to smartphones and windows mobile.

Thanks for any help.

Curt

When I open up the BKBitmap registry I see it pointing to a file named desktop.jpg in my storage card. I simply when into my File manager and copid that file to APPLICATION DATA/HOME and pasted the file there. NExt I went back to registry editor in BKBitmapFile and changed the address it was pointing to the new location in APPLICATION DATA/HOME.

By the way, everything I am referencing is after I installed the MAC OS X .cab

Guest 4A*e Nyt
When I open up the BKBitmap registry I see it pointing to a file named desktop.jpg in my storage card. I simply when into my File manager and copid that file to APPLICATION DATA/HOME and pasted the file there. NExt I went back to registry editor in BKBitmapFile and changed the address it was pointing to the new location in APPLICATION DATA/HOME.

By the way, everything I am referencing is after I installed the MAC OS X .cab

From your reply I now see that I have no such file in my storage card or anywhere else.

I guess that must be part of my problem. Perhaps I have removed that file or corrupted it in some other way. I have also noticed that the start.pic file that is referenced by my BKBitmapFile is not actually present on my computer.

I went to get the OSX home screen and I am not able to find one that even works on my SDA. Any advice on where to find that. Everything requires the orange plugin or some other phone specific software.

Thanks,

Curt

Guest 4A*e Nyt
From your reply I now see that I have no such file in my storage card or anywhere else.

I guess that must be part of my problem. Perhaps I have removed that file or corrupted it in some other way. I have also noticed that the start.pic file that is referenced by my BKBitmapFile is not actually present on my computer.

Well, I resorted to a hard reset (ugh!). I'm finally back to where I was to start witha and now I have my start menu items back. Don't want to go there again.

Curt

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sparky99

I was also having a case of the missing Start Menu. Had to reboot the phone a couple of times a day.

There is a new version of Celetask that give you a way to fix this.

You can simply "exclude" the START MENU from the listed tasks. That way, when you kill all running processes, the Start Menu is left alone. Once you exclude an item, it's always excluded. You don't have to respecify every time you use Celetask. If you want to bring it back, that option is available as well.

The program already comes with the option set to exclude Activesync and Celetask itself. Easy to add more.

Works like a charm now. Glad I didn't have to go through a hard reset.

Guest da_mayhem

Closing the appman.exe thru a Task Manager or Xbar on the WM5 SP makes this thing to happen...generally its a bug on the WM5 SP i must say, and also happens with HTC Feeler and MPx200 both running on WM5 OS. The key to make it appear again ( Start Menu ) is switching from Grid to List View (or vice-versa).

Well here's a tip

Download Toggle View by greatbal

Toggle View

Install and Assign a Speed Dial

So everytime the Start Menu would disappear, Hit HOME key then press the Assign Number to the Toggle View App and you could launch the Start Menu again.

So far, that's what i have been doing. Haven't found any workaround for it yet.

Edited by da_mayhem