Tutorial: Creating XML homescreens

Guest w411y

Welcome to MoDaCo.

That seems to be how he done it. Something tells me setting the value of BTNFACE_HIGHLIGHT to 0 will make the softkeys completely black without the hightlights.

When I get WM5 I'll look into it. Although it will probably be sussed by then :rolleyes:

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
Welcome to MoDaCo.

That seems to be how he done it. Something tells me setting the value of BTNFACE_HIGHLIGHT to 0 will make the softkeys completely black without the hightlights.

When I get WM5 I'll look into it. Although it will probably be sussed by then :(

HAHA... If you dont get it by tomorrow, then it looks like I would beat you to it then :rolleyes:

thanks w411y! after 1 day of having my phone and reading this thread i came up with this...

shroom_home.jpg

More than welcome :) Appreciate you showing thanks and showing an outcome its nice to see how people use the tut.

Welcome to MoDaCo :D

Guest th1rt3en

Im trying to use the RJ Shortcuts plugin for this homescreen, maybe i'm using it incorrectly.. if so, please let me knw.

winxp.jpg

Im trying to point the My Computer icon toward Smart Explorer, and the IE Button, obviously, towards internet explorer.

In the third spot, i'm trying to get the last used app, that one works just fine so far. The other two, not so much.

Heres what happens:

screen.jpg

When i try to click it, it says: "Error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename"

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is the code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<home>

<author>Joe Strom</author>

<contacturl>http://www.lucky-th1rt3en.tk</contacturl>

<title>Windows XP</title>

<version>1.0</version>

<default target-width="240" target-height="320" font-face="nina" font-size="19" font-weight="bold" padding-left="5" padding-right="5" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#ffffff" padding-top="3" b-border-width="0" halign="left">

<format state="selected" fgcolor="#ffffff"/>

</default>

<background bgimage="winxp.jpg" valign="bottom"/>

<scheme>

<color name="COLOR_TRAYGRADLEFT" value="#C4CBD1" /> 

<color name="COLOR_TRAYGRADRIGHT" value="#C4CBD1" /> 

<color name="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT" value="#009900" /> 

</scheme>

<plugin clsid="{837FC251-FE69-43ad-84E0-EBCEDEBA0884}" name="Iconbar" height="25">

<background b-border-width="0">

</background>

<iconbar bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#ffffff" y="0" x="0"/>

</plugin>

<!-- RJShortcut: File Manager -->

<plugin clsid="{F3750050-8E30-4c61-A864-4301F5D7C065}" height="50" width="52">

<background>

<format state="selected" bgcolor="transparent" bgimage="winxp_mycomp.jpg"/>

</background>

<format padding-left="0" padding-top="0" padding-bottom="0"/>	

<shortcutbar icon-spacing="2" icon-size="small" >

<shortcut target="\\IPSM\Windows\Start Menu\Smart Explorer EN.lnk"/>

</shortcutbar>

</plugin>

<!-- RJShortcut: Internet Explorer -->

<plugin clsid="{F3750050-8E30-4c61-A864-4301F5D7C065}" height="60" width="53">

<background>

<format state="selected" bgcolor="transparent" bgimage="winxp_ie.jpg"/>

</background>

<format padding-left="0" padding-top="0" padding-bottom="0"/>	

<shortcutbar icon-spacing="2" icon-size="small" >

<shortcut target="\\IPSM\Windows\Start Menu\Internet Explorer.lnk"/>

</shortcutbar>

</plugin>

<!-- MRU -->

<plugin clsid="{79EFB752-CB70-446d-B317-499723482B3D}" name="startmru" height="32" width="33">

<mru x="0" highlight="#083904" icon-size="15" max-buttons="1" y="0"/>

</plugin>

<!-- Messages plugin -->

<plugin clsid="{2F930BF0-6FE9-4a53-9E17-88E9247BAB48}" name="SMScount" height="50" width="240">

<format state="selected" bgcolor="transparent" bgimage="\Storage Card\Home\windowsmobile_desktop2_msg.jpg"/>

</background>

<label y="12" x="92" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#ffffff" font-size="18">

<format state="unselected" fgcolor="#ffffff" font-weight="normal" x="241"/>

<format state="selected" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#009900" x="241"/>

<text>SMS: <unreadSMS />  Email: <unreadEmail /></text>

</label>

</plugin>

<!-- Date/Time/Carrier Plugin -->

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{E09043DF-510E-4841-B652-388316977A7A}" height="48">

</background>

<label bgcolor="transparent" font-weight="normal" y="18" halign="right" w="240" font-size="18" fgcolor="#ffffff">

<text><carrier/></text>

</label>

<clock>

<date font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#ffffff" font-size="20" valign="top" x="100" mode="short" y="0" w="240" />

<time font-weight="bold" font-size="20" bgtext="transparent" halign="right" fgcolor="#ffffff" mode="12" y="0" w="240"/>

</clock>

</plugin>

</home>

Edited by th1rt3en

Guest XxDrAg0nxX

HEy guys, been experimenting with tweaking the home screen, and this is what i have so far...

Encountered a problem, and i seem stuck here:

<!-- (TO DO) -->

Pending:

Overdue:

Complete:

It seems when the RJ tasks is selected, it doesnt seem to highlight... like it doesnt recognise the SELECTED and UNSELECTED format state?

post-212917-1163075435_thumb.png

Guest strangeguitar

A couple different things you might try...

1. remove the \\IPSM bit from your targets. I had to do this on my phone.

2. try changing the target files from the .lnk files to the actual files. Click into the phone explorer and right-click the .lnk files that you're trying to link to on your home page. You'll see where these .lnk files are pointing to and change the path to those actual files. I would guess that it MIGHT look something like this:

<shortcut target="\Windows\Smart Explorer EN.exe/>

I've noticed that most the executables that the .lnk files link to are in the windows directory.

Lemme know if that works out!

Guest XxDrAg0nxX

Nono, i already solved the targeting part, when i select it and click on it it goes direct to tasks.

it just that when i select it, the part where its suppsed to change the background to a specific picture:

doesnt seem to have any effect, is this to do with the plugin itself? I am guessing its because its ment for 2002 smartphones and not WM5?

Im trying to use the RJ Shortcuts plugin for this homescreen, maybe i'm using it incorrectly.. if so, please let me knw.

winxp.jpg

Im trying to point the My Computer icon toward Smart Explorer, and the IE Button, obviously, towards internet explorer.

In the third spot, i'm trying to get the last used app, that one works just fine so far. The other two, not so much.

Heres what happens:

screen.jpg

When i try to click it, it says: "Error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename"

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'd suggest removing 1 or both of the backslashes as said above or replace IPSM with Storage.

With regards to the icons not showing... You need to put the full path to the file (ie. Storage\Application Data\Home\Image.jpg ).

HEy guys, been experimenting with tweaking the home screen, and this is what i have so far...

Encountered a problem, and i seem stuck here:

It seems when the RJ tasks is selected, it doesnt seem to highlight... like it doesnt recognise the SELECTED and UNSELECTED format state?

Tried removing the backslash from the beginning of the path? Tried different image formats? Triple checked the path is correct? Try looking for documentation on the plugin to see what it says there and also see if anyone has it working on WM5 :)

Guest XxDrAg0nxX

if i replace the plugin clid with the OXIOS one, it works fine, I gave up on the oxios one because it had that irritating message that says oxious tasks not found before it redirects to the built in tasks.

There is nothing wrong with the path, its just that I cannot get it to morph picture, when selected, it doesnt even change font colour...

Guest th1rt3en

Alright, i got the links workin, but is there any way to get rid of the RJShortcut icons?

EDIT:: I figured that out, with the 'hide="yes"' code.. now i'm having trouble resizing me MRU icons... any suggestions?

Edited by th1rt3en

Guest Mikew07

I am bad when it comes to actual XML homescreens, but iam trying to make a very simple homescreen. All i want is basically the Windows Simple homescreen layout (without the owner info), but with a upcoming appointments callender thing at the very bottom. Reason i want it like that is because i like taking advantage of my camera (even tho its crap) to put pictures of me and my friends as my homescreen... Ive tried unsucessfully for a week to try and modify existing ones and ive searched every place imaginable to try and find one. Thanks

Edited by Mikew07

Guest strangeguitar

So you're saying that you want your cursor to be an image? I've had no luck trying to get the cursor to be anything but either transparent or a big block. I'm using WM5, too. Oh well.

We'll just have to wait, I guess.

Oh - and W411y... you rock. Thanks for the tutorial! I've been having a ton of fun making homescreens.

I'd post a couple, but how do I take a picture of my celly's display?

Guest strangeguitar

Hmm... a question about the appname function. I'm using RJShortcut on a space invader themed home screen. Clicking around the invaders brings up different shortcuts. It's pretty freakin' cool, but because I can't really change the image of the invaders, I'm using the appname function to display what the icon is linking to. The problem is that I have 4 columns of links, each 3 wide, and the link name displays on the right of each column.

The short of it is this: is there a way to get appname to display the name of the link in the same place on the home screen all of the time?

Also... is there a way to use any TrueType font on the xml? I haven't seen it done, but I imagine it could be. I tried a few ways, but it nothing happened. I'd imagine that you'd load the font into the font folder in the phone, but after that ??? Any ideas?

<?xml version="1.0"?>

PontiusP

http://www.google.com

Space Invaders

<!-- Defaults -->

<!-- Background -->

<!-- Color Scheme -->

<!-- IconBar Plugin -->

<!-- Carrier Plugin -->

<!-- RJ Shortcut -->

<!-- SMS Count Plugin -->

V

Messaging

T

E

<!-- Calendar Plugin -->

Calendar

<!-- MRU Plugin -->

Edited by strangeguitar

Guest XxDrAg0nxX

I finally got it to work after like doing a trial an error MANY MANY MANY times....

It seems the RJtasks itself does not allow pictures with Black #000000 pixels to be used in the picture as it will set that particular pixel to transparant and show the background... wierd...

now that its sorted, time to start making look better :)

strangeguitar: yes as u can see u can have a picture when the particular plugin is selected.

for your other problem, i have no experience in that yet, would try to help if i figure it out :D

post-212917-1163175226_thumb.png

I am bad when it comes to actual XML homescreens, but iam trying to make a very simple homescreen. All i want is basically the Windows Simple homescreen layout (without the owner info), but with a upcoming appointments callender thing at the very bottom. Reason i want it like that is because i like taking advantage of my camera (even tho its crap) to put pictures of me and my friends as my homescreen... Ive tried unsucessfully for a week to try and modify existing ones and ive searched every place imaginable to try and find one. Thanks

Have you seen the Slideshow plugin, Photoplug? http://www.virtuoffice.com/

So you're saying that you want your cursor to be an image? I've had no luck trying to get the cursor to be anything but either transparent or a big block. I'm using WM5, too. Oh well.

We'll just have to wait, I guess.

Oh - and W411y... you rock. Thanks for the tutorial! I've been having a ton of fun making homescreens.

I'd post a couple, but how do I take a picture of my celly's display?

I use Active Syn Remote Display.

Others may use Soti Pocket Control (Think thats what its called :) )

@Strangeguitar....

For the appname you need to make it a seperate tag (Between the ) and give it x and y values.

For the Font question... Fonts can be downloaded and installed onto the phone (Smartphone fonts downloadable from http://www.airfagev.com and then set font-face="FONT NAME HERE" in the tag. I did it once with a Beyonce screen I made which I cant seem to find anywhere :) Hmm.. never mind its straight forward anyway :D

I finally got it to work after like doing a trial an error MANY MANY MANY times....

It seems the RJtasks itself does not allow pictures with Black #000000 pixels to be used in the picture as it will set that particular pixel to transparant and show the background... wierd...

now that its sorted, time to start making look better :)

strangeguitar: yes as u can see u can have a picture when the particular plugin is selected.

for your other problem, i have no experience in that yet, would try to help if i figure it out :D

Woah well done :P

Guest XxDrAg0nxX

Thanks Wally,

Any tutorial on how to customise the built in windows media player and program launcher? :)

After modding he homescreen i realised its not standardised with these 2 i normally use...

Edited by XxDrAg0nxX

Thanks Wally,

Any tutorial on how to customise the built in windows media player and program launcher? :)

After modding he homescreen i realised its not standardised with these 2 i normally use...

I've noticed you modded a WMP11 skin so ydo you still need a tut for that? There's an old one for wm2003 somewhere but I cant seem to find it.

By program Launcher I gather you mean Start Menu?

If so, change the background image through a registry tweak. Guide here... http://www.modaco.com/Changing-Other-Screens-t230631.html

Change the icons guide here.. http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=14