Tutorial: Creating XML homescreens

Guest w411y

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
I've noticed you modded a WMP11 skin so ydo you still need a tut for that? There's an old one for wm2003 somewhere but I cant seem to find it.

By program Launcher I gather you mean Start Menu?

If so, change the background image through a registry tweak. Guide here... http://www.modaco.com/Changing-Other-Screens-t230631.html

Change the icons guide here.. http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=14

Yup Just found the WMP skin, so just went tru the source and figured out how to make my own :)

But the program launcher is a different program, not the start menu, it came built in with my i320, not sure if its special to this phone or WM5?

Here is the attached screen shot of this Launcher Program... as you can see, its blue for the title and brown for the highlight? I am hoping to edit that...

post-212917-1163247214_thumb.png

Edited by XxDrAg0nxX

Guest XxDrAg0nxX

Btw, I was wondering if its possible to have the words from the plugins auto centred?

As you can see, the schedules are aligned to the left... hoping to centralise the whole thing...

TIA :)

post-212917-1163250416_thumb.png

Ok NVM, I figured it out, i spelled it as centre instead of center :)

For those who are interested to know, USE:

Thanks for sharing with everyone. I've never seen that Launcher programme. By the looks of it I'd guess that a registry edit to the location image *may* be possible... It doesn't look like you can set it by colour.

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
Thanks for sharing with everyone. I've never seen that Launcher programme. By the looks of it I'd guess that a registry edit to the location image *may* be possible... It doesn't look like you can set it by colour.

Actually I have gone through the whole regedit, almost every folder there, nothing seems to point to it...

If i can find the file that shows that picture in file manager, is it possible to force delete it if its protected?

We are having problems deleting the stupid shutter sounds too...

Actually I have gone through the whole regedit, almost every folder there, nothing seems to point to it...

If i can find the file that shows that picture in file manager, is it possible to force delete it if its protected?

We are having problems deleting the stupid shutter sounds too...

If you can find the file you could replace it with your own image. People used to use that method for things like startup screens before the registry edit was discovered :)

Guest XxDrAg0nxX

Hey, new problem...

I noticed that not only black cant be shown for the softkeys, but other darker shades of green too??

So far its this softkey thing not being able to turn dark is spoiling my whole theme :) So far from my experiments it seems that its more like its automatically lightened?

post-212917-1163330010_thumb.png

Hey, new problem...

I noticed that not only black cant be shown for the softkeys, but other darker shades of green too??

So far its this softkey thing not being able to turn dark is spoiling my whole theme :) So far from my experiments it seems that its more like its automatically lightened?

I have no clue about WM5 colour schemes so I can only suggest http://www.modaco.com/Smartphone-Customisa...cussion-f9.html

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
If you can find the file you could replace it with your own image. People used to use that method for things like startup screens before the registry edit was discovered :)

The problem is i cant even change the names of the pictures i want to mod... the options to edit it like cut/copy/rename are like all greyed out?

Guest Mikew07

Okay those other plugins still couldnt do quite what i wanted. I took a homescreen and got rid of everything i didnt want, so all is left is the Date, Time, Carrier (all at the top) and what im trying to do is get the Calendar plugin at the bottom of the page so i can see my background picture more clearly... its probably something very simple that im doing wrong, i am quite the newbie at this

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<home>

<title lang="0x0409">Pic</title>

<default font-face="nina" font-size="14" padding-left="4" padding-right="4" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="COLOR_HOMETEXT" padding-top="1" b-border-color="COLOR_HOMERULE" b-border-width="1">

</default>

<background bgimage="\IPSM\Application Data\Home\pic.jpg" valign="bottom"/>

<plugin clsid="{837FC251-FE69-43ad-84E0-EBCEDEBA0884}" name="iconbar" height="20">

<iconbar fgcolor="COLOR_TRAYTEXT"/>

<background gradient="title" bgcolor="COLOR_TRAYGRADLEFT" b-border-color="COLOR_WINDOWFRAME" b-border-width="1"/>

</plugin>

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{E09043DF-510E-4841-B652-388316977A7A}" name="carrier" height="18"> 

<background b-border-width="0"/>

<label valign="center" font-weight="bold" x="1">

<text><carrier/></text> 

</label> 

</plugin>

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{E09043DF-510E-4841-B652-388316977A7A}" name="clock" height="18">

<clock>

<date valign="center" mode="short" x="1" font-weight="bold"/>

<time valign="center" mode="12" halign="right" font-weight="bold"/>

</clock>

</plugin> 

<plugin clsid="{2FFD93B3-0FF0-4228-A6D6-D2DF177D7D92}" name="alldayevent" height="18">

<format state="noevent" visible="false"/>

<label x="1" h="30">

<text>All day: <subject/></text>

</label>

</plugin>

<plugin clsid="{865A354A-4A96-4687-B001-C155DC0DBE76}" name="calendar" height="50">

<label x="1" h="20">

<text><subject/></text>

</label>

<label x="1" y="30">

<text><time/></text>

</label>

</plugin>

<plugin clsid="{0BA8ABB8-1F1D-417f-88C6-DA8530E2E7A6}" name="missedcalls" height="18">

<format state="nocall" visible="false"/>

<label x="1" h="16">

<text>Missed calls: <calls/></text>

</label>

</plugin>

<plugin clsid="{37391041-C324-4725-BEE1-3232ED3539CA}" name="callprog" height="36">

<format state="nocall" visible="false"/>

<label x="1">

<text>Call in progress:</text>

</label>

<label x="1" y="17">

<text><progress/></text>

</label>

</plugin>

</home>

Guest Mikew07
The more the height you add to the 'clock' plugin.. the lower down calendar will go :)

...Your about to get really sick of me... but when i do that the Calendar does get pushed down, but the clock also comes down a sizeable amount too... this is kinda starting to tick me off... ill make sure i stay away from web design/XML as a major...

Thanks for your help, im gonna play around and see if i can get it

Edited by Mikew07

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
...Your about to get really sick of me... but when i do that the Calendar does get pushed down, but the clock also comes down a sizeable amount too... this is kinda starting to tick me off... ill make sure i stay away from web design/XML as a major...

Thanks for your help, im gonna play around and see if i can get it

Oh i get what you mean, your valign should not be center but "top".... use this:

Edited by XxDrAg0nxX

Guest strangeguitar

Can you get me an easy example?

@Strangeguitar....

For the appname you need to make it a seperate tag (Between the ) and give it x and y values.

For the Font question... Fonts can be downloaded and installed onto the phone (Smartphone fonts downloadable from http://www.airfagev.com and then set font-face="FONT NAME HERE" in the tag. I did it once with a Beyonce screen I made which I cant seem to find anywhere :) Hmm.. never mind its straight forward anyway :D

Guest ccarrara

Anyone have ANY idea what would cause my home image to not fit properly? the image is the correct size, and I've tried serveral images including the default Cingular image. They all do it(get cut off). The image is squeezed so the hieght doesn't fit (see buttom above the menu bar where it is light blue) but extends beyond the right side of the page. The yellow dots and text (it's a logo) at bottom right keeps going to the right in the image, but is cut off as you can see in the attached screen shot.

Why doesn't it fit?

Here is the background image code:

<background

bgimage="CingularSartoLogo.jpg"

valign="bottom"

bgcolor="COLOR_GRADRIGHT"/>

ss000a.jpg

ss000.bmp

Edited by ccarrara

Guest Mikew07
Oh i get what you mean, your valign should not be center but "top".... use this:

Thanks alot, that worked perfect, except now im kinda hooked into figuring this stuff out...

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
Thanks alot, that worked perfect, except now im kinda hooked into figuring this stuff out...

LOL i know what you mean... wierd though how it can feel addictive.. :)

Going on a home screen creating rampage, but been trying to upload to the downloads section with no luck for the past 2 days... :D

but it seems i can upload here with no problem?

post-212917-1163481281_thumb.png

Edited by XxDrAg0nxX

LOL i know what you mean... wierd though how it can feel addictive.. :D

Going on a home screen creating rampage, but been trying to upload to the downloads section with no luck for the past 2 days... :P

but it seems i can upload here with no problem?

You dont post new topics in the section of the forum. You have to click Downloads up there ^ and then click add file. Submit your file in wait for a Mod to approve or deny it :)

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
You dont post new topics in the section of the forum. You have to click Downloads up there ^ and then click add file. Submit your file in wait for a Mod to approve or deny it :)

Oh it needs to be approved?

No i didnt post them here, still trying to up it in the downloads section, but its been 3 days and it hasnt appeared there :D

Guest ccarrara

How I lay mine out

What does the "-rotated" do? I've dtried valign="top" bottom, sideways.... always stays the same. It seems to me the OS thinks the screen is bigger than it is or something??

Guest Mikew07

Is there a way to make a plugin have a background color or maybe a background be a jpg? For example i like my Homescreens to be very Picture friendly because I love putting pictures of me and my friends (Iam only 16 btw) as the background but dont wanna lose the functionality of a Homescreen, but i think if there was just a little more something to the screen it would look better, i could manually take each photo and open it in Photoshop, but im really way to lazy to do that and it wouldnt be able to use my Cameraphone as much...

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
Is there a way to make a plugin have a background color or maybe a background be a jpg? For example i like my Homescreens to be very Picture friendly because I love putting pictures of me and my friends (Iam only 16 btw) as the background but dont wanna lose the functionality of a Homescreen, but i think if there was just a little more something to the screen it would look better, i could manually take each photo and open it in Photoshop, but im really way to lazy to do that and it wouldnt be able to use my Cameraphone as much...

dont use default background? select a picture instead of default. The picture has to be in home folder i think to be chooseable.

Guest XxDrAg0nxX
Anyone have ANY idea what would cause my home image to not fit properly? the image is the correct size, and I've tried serveral images including the default Cingular image. They all do it(get cut off). The image is squeezed so the hieght doesn't fit (see buttom above the menu bar where it is light blue) but extends beyond the right side of the page. The yellow dots and text (it's a logo) at bottom right keeps going to the right in the image, but is cut off as you can see in the attached screen shot.

Why doesn't it fit?

Here is the background image code:

<background

bgimage="CingularSartoLogo.jpg"

valign="bottom"

bgcolor="COLOR_GRADRIGHT"/>

ss000a.jpg

I did some experiments, and i think i know whats going on, the image has actually been automatically cropped?

Not sure if any settings in the XML will do... its more of the programming itself... unless we can find a registry key or something...