M500 with Wifi

Guest ryanred5

Guest ryanred5

Now I am seriously peed off, did a hard reset to completely clear my M500, and now cant find how to get the contacts back onto the damn thing. Im sure I used backup last time, cos I have my contacts saved on there. Grrr

This WLAN card has been a pain in the rear end.

Good job I didnt have much loaded on it.

Guest JamieDow

I've noticed that it seems to be fine for eveyone as long as you don't want security. Well that seems dumb, if I find a way around it i'll post it up :)

Guest JamieDow

**Posted from M500 on Wireless**

Ok, I re-added the encryption key as for some odd reason the system added some digits. I then edited the proxy server and stated that the network connects to the intenet. I did not specify the proxy ip. Now I have access. Hope this helps! :)

Guest marksurry

@JamieDow,

Does your SDIO wifi card have a green or blue light? Mine has a blue light and has only ever been blue, even when I had trouble connecting orriginaly. However, RyanReds light is green. Was curious to know if the newer SDIO cards have green lights and the older ones have blue?

RyanRed is not happy :-( Stupid wifi, stupid M500 !!!

Guest ryanred5

Hi Mark

Im sort of unhappy with the situation with this card.

I wanted it so I could use the M500 in bed at night, instead of lumping my laptop up. But Im getting such a low signal it jumps between Wifi and GPRS, so Im being charged for sometimes. GRRR

Also I put my M500 on charge last night, left the card in place, got up this morning, and the cards not working no flashing or nothing, so Ive had to remove the driver and utility and reinstall and its working again.

Grrrrrrrr, why cant things be simple.

Ive sat the M500 next to my laptop and Im getting 100% signal and quality on my laptop, but only 76% signal and 85% quality with the M500, strange :?: :?: :?: .

Guest ryanred5
**Posted from M500 on Wireless**

Ok, I re-added the encryption key as for some odd reason the system added some digits. I then edited the proxy server and stated that the network connects to the intenet. I did not specify the proxy ip. Now I have access. Hope this helps! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wheres the details of the proxy server? Couldnt find that anywhere on the M500.

Ive managed to get on anyway, but its very intermittant, and the range isnt very good, even sat in front of the router.

Ive sat the M500 next to my laptop and Im getting 100% signal and quality on my laptop, but only 76% signal and 85% quality with the M500, strange  :?:  :?:  :?: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The metal case of the M500 and small antena means it's not going to be as good as a laptop, but those signal and quality settings shouldn't be anything to worry about.

You could give Hitchiker a go, might be better than the safecom util.

Mine works great with the Linksys router, but I don't have any security turned on (don't really see any point). Hope you get it working

Guest Webreaper

Two questions for this topic... :)

1. Bit concerned about this wifi range thing that people are mentioning - is it really that bad? If I can't get a wifi signal from the opposite end of my house to my router (I can with my laptop) then it's all a bit pointless.

2. Are there any wifi cards which don't stick out of the M500 at all? And are there any combined memory/wifi cards which don't stick out much? I quite fancy a 256Mb wifi card, but they all seem to stick out of the top by about 1cm, which is totally pointless - I'd snap it off! :D

Guest marksurry

I have no trouble with the range from my router to the M500 / Safecom wifi card. I use my M500 quite a distance from the router, through 2 rooms in fact, and it gets a signal of around 50-60% and a quality of around 80%. It's never dropped a session in my apartment.

Guest ryanred5
Two questions for this topic...  :)

1. Bit concerned about this wifi range thing that people are mentioning - is it really that bad? If I can't get a wifi signal from the opposite end of my house to my router (I can with my laptop) then it's all a bit pointless.

Im going to be having a play with the M500 tonight and if I cant get access properly without it losing the session then Im seriously going to be looking at sending the card back for a refund. I use the M500 at night, if I wake up and cant get back to sleep, chat to my friends on MSN, or browse the net, if I cant do that cos it keeps dropping I may as well go back to GPRS.

2. Are there any wifi cards which don't stick out of the M500 at all? And are there any combined memory/wifi cards which don't stick out much? I quite fancy a 256Mb wifi card, but they all seem to stick out of the top by about 1cm, which is totally pointless - I'd snap it off! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the cards have to be stuck out a bit, cos thats where the antenna is. There used to be a Sandisk 256mb and Wifi card but I dont think they are made anymore, maybe keep an eye out on Ebay for one.

Good luck.

Guest ryanred5

Another quick question for Mark, do you have a case for you M500, if so which one cos I want one, Im scared of dropping it and desperately need a case (got a anti scratch thing on the screen tho).

Ta

*BTW Ive sent you a PM with the info I told you about*

Guest ryanred5

One happy bunny, posting this lay in bed using my M500, signal is 59% quality 95%, so Im chuffed as mint balls.

Pretty quick as well considering its all 11mbps, and Modaco is graphics hungry.

Off to nosey round net now. :)

Catherine

Guest JamieDow
@JamieDow,

Does your SDIO wifi card have a green or blue light?  Mine has a blue light and has only ever been blue, even when I had trouble connecting orriginaly.  However, RyanReds light is green.  Was curious to know if the newer SDIO cards have green lights and the older ones have blue?

RyanRed is not happy :-(  Stupid wifi, stupid M500 !!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's green mate :)

Glad you got it Working RyanRed I was up until about 11pm getting mighty annoyed with it but when I got it working I was on MSN all night :D

Guest marksurry

Cheers JamieDow, mine must be an older card as it's blue.

RyanRed, glad you're finnaly surfing with the M500 in bed. Got the PM, thanks. I'll keep you posted with updates ;-)

Guest marksurry

Oh yeah, RyanRed, I use no case on my M500 and I thought the screen protector sucked so I removed it. If I drop the device it's going to hurt. I found the screen protector made the screen look fuzzy, looks a lot more sharp with it removed.