Uncertified Doom.....ALPHA version

Guest MBoden

I dont know what goes wrong, here's my findings when i checked right after releasing it :

Are you still getting the Doom intro screen within 35 seconds. On a restarted SPV it takes me around 6.5 minutes to set the doom screen. It sits for over a minute on the messages:

R_init:Init Doom refres

p machine state.

s up display.

s bar.

It also takes over 10 seconds to respond to very menu click (3 to get menu, then Start Game, then Level then Skill). Do you have any ideas on these issues.

just tested it again 32 seconds to doom intro screen and my phone hasn't been reset for ages

max one second for menu navigation i had 5 seconds from clicking on difficulty to the game was playable

strange

Are you still getting the Doom intro screen within 35 seconds. On a restarted SPV it takes me around 6.5 minutes to set the doom screen. It sits for over a minute on the messages:  

R_init:Init Doom refres  

p machine state.  

s up display.  

s bar.  

It also takes over 10 seconds to respond to very menu click (3 to get menu, then Start Game, then Level then Skill). Do you have any ideas on these issues.

Im having exactly the same load times, possibly 6.5min a little harsh i get 5 mins to intro screen, other quoted times are the same! I have a 256mb SD card, could it be due to memory card fragmentation? If so is their a way to sort this?

DJ Hope

just tested it again 32 seconds to doom intro screen and my phone hasn't been reset for ages

max one second for menu navigation i had 5 seconds from clicking on difficulty to the game was playable  

strange

Do I have the correct version. My binary size is 457208. When I say menus are slow I include waiting over 10 seconds after I press "down" for the menu to move down one item.

What about other people reading this. Is startup time 35 seconds or 6 minutes on your phone. Can you navigate menus in a reasonable time?

35 secs ish for me.....menu response is slow, about 2 sec before the skull moves down...

Do you have the same binary size. Can you confirm what directory structure you are using.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Finally managed to install this today with my new SD card, took nearly 5 mins to load then caused my phone to reboot on the splash screen.

Nm, 2nd time lucky....

Guest Madjules

I think we should work out why peoples times differ - after all we have the same phone

I am running the game off a 128mb SD Card (Expansys), I unlocked the phone on Tuesday.

The phone has been on since 8am this morning and I have played some gameboy roms on the train.

It took 3min14s to title screen and 8s between menu presses.

I switched it off and back on again so that nothing is in memory.

It took exactly the same times.

I will see if the load times get worse (as the card gets more fragmented) otherwise is it all down to the speed/size of the memory card?

Guest tony_spv_2003

Maybe try and see if u have programs running in the backgroung ie GPRS counter or other apps, if u can find them and disable them that might speed things up a little.

Tony

I have been testing this for the last 2 hours. This is what I have found. On my 256MB it loaded in 5 Mintues 45 seconds and menu response (even moving) is around 10-15 seonds. If I put in on an 8MB SD card it loads in around 45 seconds and menu response in fine.

What is interesting is that I have never had any problems with the Gameboy emulator. It has never taken more than a few seconds to load a Rom. Even 4MB ones when I have had over 70 roms in the directory.

The next thing I tried was to delete Doom completely from my 256 MB card and re-install it. It still loaded just as slowly.

Anyone got any ideas?

BTW. I always cleared the phones memory using task manager before each test.

I also did one other test. I copied Doom direct to the phones memory. Although it was faster than the 256MB card. It was no where near as quick as on the 8MB SD card.

Stranger & stranger.

MBoden,

Is there anything you can do to change the way the IO works. I seems strange that the SD card should be slow.

Guest Madjules

It does indeed depend on the size of the SD Card

My 128mb - 3min14s load, 8s menus

The 8mb Orange one - 42s load, 2s menus

Also note that it bombed out on the 8mb while loading, so I freed up more space (+ also recopied the doom files) and then it was ok.

Guest spacemonkey

If speeds are depending on card size, does it mean that doom is reading files continuously while running? Cos I wouldn't be surprised if file IO on these things is pretty poor...

Of course loading it all into "memory" would make the overhead of the game very large...

If speeds are depending on card size, does it mean that doom is reading files continuously while running?  Cos I wouldn't be surprised if file IO on these things is pretty poor...

Of course loading it all into "memory" would make the overhead of the game very large...

No matter which size card I try, when the game play actually begins, the speed is the same.

Guest Shuflie

It could be the debug text that is getting written out that is slowing everything down quite a bit of text get generated during the initial setup and during the menu displays. Perhaps the 8 MB cards can handle this better than a 256MB card. How about a version without the debug option on it to see if there is any vast speed up produced?

Looks like that is the problem, try locking your 256Mb card and runing Doom. ;)

Yes that fixes it but makes it rather unstable. MBoden, any chance of getting that debug free version to test.

Guest Shuflie

I've been unable to test whether the debug file being open is stopping the game from being saved ;) The problem that I run into seems to be because Doom tries to open the debug file for writing to but everything gets shoved off into a buffer somewhere as it can't write out to a locked SD card, but when I eject the card to take the write protection off the phone complains that there is still data to be written out. The only way to check if saving would be possible without the debug option on is to actually have a version compiled with debugging turned off.

At least I can start up doom and navigate the menus at a reasonable speed now with the SD card locked.

One other point to note is that if you want to run anything after doom you need to eject the card and wait for the warning then put it back in again.

Guest crimminsky
It does indeed depend on the size of the SD Card

My 128mb - 3min14s load, 8s menus

The 8mb Orange one - 42s load, 2s menus

Also note that it bombed out on the 8mb while loading, so I freed up more space (+ also recopied the doom files) and then it was ok.

mmmm I'm running mine off a 128mb card, load time is 35 secs and 1-2 secs between menu ops.

I have doom installed in /storagecard/doom....don't no if that helps

I have doom installed in /storagecard/doom....don't no if that helps

I have tried it at lots of different directory levels. It seems to make no difference.

OMG, it loads in about 35seconds since i "locked" my sd card and each menu item takes 2 secs to move before this i was getting 5mins load a 30secs between menu items!

Definately has something todo with SD card then, i imagine its because the debug infomation is being written to a fragmented memory card or something!

Much more unstable tho ill admit!

Cheers boys

DJ Hope