Uncertified Doom.....ALPHA version

Guest MBoden

Guest Shuflie

I noticed it bomb out on me a few times too. We really need a version without the debug information being written out, or possibly two versions debug info for those who run from a small card and non-debug for larger format cards. I don't think its because the card is fragmented either, more likely to do with the way info is passed from the phone to the physical memory in the card, more memory means a more complicated interface in the card.

Ok, i've made a new version, I didn't have time to finish it though

this is only for people having trouble with loadtimes AND are feeling brave

Fixed :

Load- and menu-speed is better .....i think

no more debugfile

it's got an icon now, ugly though

what isn't fixed :

save/load game - some fixes, not enough though

gamma correction

sound

ingame speed

Try it at your own risk , and back up the old DoomSPV.exe

exefile only :

http://www.bodenhoff.com/spv/download/DoomSPVexp.zip

WOWWWWW thanks dude ur cool, it loads like lightning under 10sec and the menu is a LOT faster than before.

Agreed!

Loads very quickly, menus work like would expect now and the game feels a little quicker too!

Nice one!

Thanks

Marc

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Sorry to hear about your troubles MBoden, i hope it sorts itself out.

In the mean time i'll be trying the new version, not managed to get pervious versions to load yet :/

Ok, i've made a new version, I didn't have time to finish it though

this is only for people having trouble with loadtimes AND are feeling brave

Fixed :

Load- and menu-speed is better .....i think

no more debugfile

it's got an icon now, ugly though

what isn't fixed :

save/load game - some fixes, not enough though

gamma correction

sound 

ingame speed

Try it at your own risk , and back up the old DoomSPV.exe

exefile only :

http://www.bodenhoff.com/spv/download/DoomSPVexp.zip

MBoden, thanks. This version is great. It now becomes a really usable program.

The only other thing that makes serious gameplay impossible is weapon selection. If you press 1 or 2 you go to fists or pistol, but then you cannot select any other weapon. There should a a weapon + - available to map to those keys.

Guest Madjules

Yeah cheers Mboden and well done everyone working out the debug file issues. Mine down from over 3mins to 16 seconds from a 128mb SD Card and menus are instant. Gameplay feels better too.

Just in time for the weekend, I want to get my hands on a BFG!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I noticed the change weapon bug too, lost my shotgun on the 2nd level :lol:

Gamma correction would also be good, don't see some of those enemies til they've killed you sometimes :/

Other than that itss great ;)

cheers again...

Glad you liked the new version :-)

gammacorrection and changing of weapons are the same thing : keyboard mapping

in the next version 0-9 will be the weapons, the back key will be escape

what we need are gamme+ and gamma-

shoot and use

strafe left and right

at the moment i'm not sure i can hook other keys than soft1 soft2 (menukeys) * and # and action , which leaves us one key short

I guess gamma could be set at a level in the code, and maybe strafing i too hard to manage with the small keypad

how would you like it guys (and gals) ?

what we need are gamme+ and gamma-

shoot and use

strafe left and right

at the moment i'm not sure i can hook other keys than soft1 soft2 (menukeys) * and # and action , which leaves us one key short

I guess gamma could be set at a level in the code, and maybe strafing i too hard to manage with the small keypad 

You should speak to spacemonkey as he has mapped the volume up/down and voice buttons on his gameboy emulator.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yeah I'd thought that would have been possible?

(My) preferred allocations would be

* soft1: Straife left

* soft2: Straife right

* action: fire

* record: use

* *: gamma+

* #: gamma-

* numberpad: weapon select

Comments?

Another thought on this. I am looking at the keys as defined when you select README on the Doom menu.

Movement - as now the arrow keys

Strafe - action button (there should be just a single strafe button that makes the arrow keys work as strafe)

Weapons - actually 1-7

Gamma Correction - according to the menu one button, so either one of the softkeys or each one for + & -

As now * fire, # use

That leaves 8, 9, 0 and maybe one softkey for any or the other extras such as map.

I suspect others would prefer something different. One day you should look at making keys user configurable but I think that is low priority.

Yeah I'd thought that would have been possible?

(My) preferred allocations would be

* soft1: Straife left

* soft2: Straife right

* action: fire

Comments?

I'm not convinced that the action button is any good as a fire button. The thumbpad is tricky enough already!

However it does free up a hand, and I like your other suggestions!

Cheers

Marc

Action as use might be good, as strafe it could happen by accident and get very confusing when the action hots up!

Record as strafe on or fire might work.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yeah it did occur to me, but i thought in genreal you'll only need to fire when straifing, so your other thumb will be far enough away for easy access, or when you're going forwards, in which case preesing it at the same time wouldn't be too difficult.

Guest DJ WATTS

Well done on a great port of a top game!! Runs/loads very very well with my 8 meg SD card.

With talent like yours i can only wait with baited breath what other projects you could have up your sleeve...;)

Quake 2...mmmmhhhhhhh:p

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I'd rather have specific straife bottum tbh ;), an on/off button could get fiddly when you need to quickely react. I wouldn't have thought the record button would be too good as fire either, as its a little too far/hard to access as a quick response button (which "use" isn't).

I'd rather have specific straife bottum tbh ;), an on/off button could get fiddly when you need to quickely react. 

From what I remember of the strafe button, it isn't a toggle. It only activates while pressed. That is why I thought the Action button would be good. You only tend to strafe for short periods, rocking left & right while firing.

You can hold down the action button while rocking left & right and still have a hand free for firing.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Just tried the new version, WHAT a difference nice one ;)

Menus & loading are faster even gameplay is smoother,

all we need now is sound :wink:

all we need now is sound

Yeah , just as I get a new version out the door more demands arrive *sigh* :wink:

When you guys decide what keys for what, i'll make another version

You'll have to wait a bit longer for sound and load/save games though, NotBad version 2 and my next project is taking quite a bit of my time, not to mention looking for work