T-Mobile SDA

Guest Jorsher

Guest Jorsher

Well I tried those settings. I'm using the MDA now which I understand is different but the settings would be the same regardless.

It doesn't connect when I use those settings. GPRS works because I can successfully send MMS and it connects when I use the instant messenger. When I try to use internet explorer it doesn't work. I'm guessing T-Mobile does a good job at blocking me from doing this since I'm only on the T-Mobile Web plan. I can't get T-Mobile Internet because I had their service for 2 years, then they disconnected me by error and after I cleaned all that up which took about 2 months and tons of calls, I had to start an entirely new activation.

Anywho, is there any workaround so I can browse the regular internet with my T-Mobile Web plan? Also is there any way I can actually use the T-Mobile Web service (ie see the wap pages)?

Thanks again!

Guest crazyasslatino

hey all! i just go a question for using the internet without getting the $20, $40 plan to use the whole internet thing, its so expensive i thought u can use the regular 4/5.99 plan, but i found u cant!, since some1 here said u can use the internet without the hiigh price, i need some steps how to use the internet by using the 5.99 plan (which i have now) im new with the whole smartphone thing now, im loving this phone, just need some cool tips about this phone. :exclaim:

Edited by crazyasslatino

Guest dleasman
POP email is supported on the $4.99 plan and I use the T-Mobile proxy server (documented somewhere) to surf the web.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, pop mail is not supported on the $4.99 plan. That's just t-zones access to your pop account. Not really the same thing. T-Mobile's server is doing the pop portion, and then sending you the text through WAP.

The only way you can do pop mail through t-mobile is to sign up for either the mail service, or the full interent service. But if you can live without pop mail, you can get unlimited internet (http and https only) by getting t-zones and mms together, and then tweak some settings, including creating a couple proxies.

Update: I just wanted to comment that the above is false. Since my original post, I have figured out how to do pop mail using only t-zones. I apologize for my previously incorrect statement.

I was actually bidding on an e-bay item from my phone while I was at lunch today, using GPRS/EDGE.

Edited by dleasman

Guest bitbank

dleasman,

POP mail IS supported on the $5 plan. That's one of it's purposes. I use Outlook to get my email from my pop mail account (T-Mobile's server is not involved in this). The web browsing is open at port 80 only for WAP access (to allow you to buy stuff from their T-Zones site). For some reason, T-Mobile also has a proxy server sitting at port 8080 for web browsing. Most instant messaging programs don't work with the $5 plan (AIM does) since only a few TCP ports are available. The $20 plan opens all of the ports so that any network app can run.

L.B.

Guest Jorsher

Ok so two or three people have mentioned in this thread that you can access regular pages through changing the proxy settings...what changes need to be made? I remember seeing one of the settings set to port 80...going to try changing to 8080 :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kinga33

I got sda working with t-zones but i can't stream any media, if i conect to internet over wi-fi i can stream all media just fine but thru t-zones i just cant. Do you know what needs to be done

Guest MetalMessiah78
I got sda working with t-zones but i can't stream any media, if i conect to internet over wi-fi i can stream all media just fine but thru t-zones i just cant. Do you know what needs to be done

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got the same problem. I also can't connect to my hotmail when I'm using T-Zones. Only when I'm hooked up to WI-FI.

Guest NRecob

After a few tries I was able to access my Gmail! ;) I need to thank Bitbank--I'd wouldn't have had a CLUE how to get GPRS/EDGE to work on the $5.99 T-Zones plan. Thanks! Did you know there is some guy on eBay selling that information along with how to remap the pink button for $29.95! Maybe you outta open up shop ;) LOL

Here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Edited by NRecob

Guest MetalMessiah78

I agree. Thanks to Bitbank, I got T-Zones working on my phone. I have no problem with G-Mail though. Just Hotmail, Pocket MSN, and streaming media.

Guest NRecob

Anybody know how to make up email templates on their desktop and then use them on their SDA (to prevent torturous long episodes of trying to type on a cell phone!)?

Edited by NRecob

Guest deshwasi

Can any of you post a step-by-step of your settings? i am not able to connect after doing the steps i saw somewhere on my SDA. i want to know if i missed anything. those who have got it working on SDA thru tzones, pls help.

one issue that i am not sure of is whether my account being a prepaid one has anything to do with this not working. i asked tmobile and they said tzones usage is free.

I agree. Thanks to Bitbank, I got T-Zones working on my phone. I have no problem with G-Mail though. Just Hotmail, Pocket MSN, and streaming media.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tonythemediaguy
I've had my SDA (in the U.S.) for a week now, and it's had good moments and bad moments.

Otherwise, things work fine with WiFi, and the phone part is great.  I'd really like OS X iSync capability, but I have gotten it up and running as a GPRS/bluetooth modem with OS X (albeit with the same problem as above -- I have to turn the phone off/on again in order to connect).

-Tofer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What settings did you use in OSX to make it connect to internet through phone/EDGE?

Thanks,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hyedipin

I just would like thank bitbank for providing all that information. I was very upset to hear that SDA did not support T-Zones, because All I wanted to do is get movie times, local information, scores, etc. and get my e-mail headers to see if there is anything urgent, and I did not want to get whole T-Mo internet for that. Now, I am hoping I can get T-Zones and access all this information on my SDA.

If there are any changes, or updates, please keep us posted.

Thank you once again. ;)

Guest USTommyMC
I've had my SDA (in the U.S.) for a week now, and it's had good moments and bad moments.

After finally getting it set up to use the internet with GPRS (I have the $29 unlimited plan) with internet2.voicestream.com, I can only connect once and then if I disconnect it won't reconnect unless I turn the phone off and back on again. MSN Hotmail is extremely flakey, and it won't connect about 70% of the time. T-Mobile seems to know about the problem but does not have a fix for it. It's definitely a pain.

Otherwise, things work fine with WiFi, and the phone part is great. I'd really like OS X iSync capability, but I have gotten it up and running as a GPRS/bluetooth modem with OS X (albeit with the same problem as above -- I have to turn the phone off/on again in order to connect).

-Tofer

Could you explain how you got the SDA to be a bluetooth modem with OS X? Also can you use it as a modem via the USB port? Thanks.

Guest hyedipin

I guess I should have posted here, I posted at the wrong spot before.. Didn't see there was a SDA topic.

These below settings work fine for the SDA + T-Mobile Internet $5.99/mo for the web pages, slow but still opens forums, etc... But won't let me use MSN Messenger or anything else besides PIE. How can I use MSN/others with below? MSN does not have any option to set which connection to use.

I am using WM5.

Also: WMP can stream mms:// streams of live tv's via wi-fi, but it won't work with t-zones. Is there a way to get that done?

And.. what is the max speed of T-Zones, does anyone know?

Thank You! ;)

Create GPRS Connection

Connects To: Wap Network

Access Point: wap.voicestream.com

Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

everything else blank

Create Proxy

Connects From: WAP Network

Connects To: The Internet

Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080

Type: HTTP

Everything else blank

In IE under Options, Connections:

check Automatically detect settings

Select Network: The Internet

Guest daversion

Sorry to be such a newb, but I did a search and couldn't find any better place to post these few questions.

1) is it possible to use the t-zone internet proxy and tether it to your pc for bluetooth or wired pc internet access (as discussed previously in this thread with OSX)

2) is it beneficial to upgrade to the SP5m firmware for my SDA (US) if all I use is internet, and outlook w/ pop, if so how do I do it or find a tutorial (I gathered from other posts that ftp://ftp.clubimate.com/ is where to get it)

TIA!

• 1 month later...
Guest hfell

Thanks SO much for posting those instructions! I'm now happily surfing the internet on my TMobile SDA whilst paying only $5.99 a month! I just couldn't justify $30 a month extra for it - but $6... no problem!

Any recommendations from folks for websites to rival Vindigo. Sadly, I sync my SDA to a company laptop, and my company won't allow us to install anything other than ActiveSync... so no programs (like Vindigo) which have to reside on my PC as well.

I am able to install .cab files directly to the phone of course ;-)

Guest chaznet

Enjoy it while you can -- I did. Eventually, it'll stop working though as their systems detect your phone-type. The settings used to work for me -- didn't know they weren't supposed to until I called support. He said the few months I used it were a bonus, as it TZones is meant for mobile phones, not smartphones, and that at some point their systems figure out what you're using. If I put my SIM chip in the old Motorola, TZones work.

Thanks SO much for posting those instructions! I'm now happily surfing the internet on my TMobile SDA whilst paying only $5.99 a month! I just couldn't justify $30 a month extra for it - but $6... no problem!

Any recommendations from folks for websites to rival Vindigo. Sadly, I sync my SDA to a company laptop, and my company won't allow us to install anything other than ActiveSync... so no programs (like Vindigo) which have to reside on my PC as well.

I am able to install .cab files directly to the phone of course ;-)

Guest HighProtein

I just got my SDA last Friday after trying it out in a T-Mobile store for about an hour.

I connected to the wine store next doors wi-fi internet.

Its very quick and for its specs it handles that data transfer well.

Its easy to make new wallpapers and ringtones for free.

The phone calls sound more full and I always have signal.

• 1 month later...
Guest famished
Here's the info I used to get GPRS/EDGE working on the $5 T-Zones plan. I don't remember where this came from (I'd give credit if I could remember).

T-Mobile GPRS setup

-------------------

Access Point - wap.voicestream.com, IP=0.0.0.0

outgoing mail: myemail.t-mobile.com

T-Mobile USA

GPRS Connections

Description: T-Zones GPRS

Connects to: The Interent

Access point: wap.voicestream.com

User name:

Password:

Primary DNS: 216.155.165.50

Secondary DNS:

IP address:

Proxy Connections

Description: T-Zones Proxy

Connects from: The Internet

Connects to: WAP Network

Proxy (name:port): 216.155.165.50:8080

Type: HTTP

User name:

Password:

Make sure that no other settings have been entered in each of the respected sections, only have T-Zones GPRS settings in the GPRS Connections section, and T-Zones Proxy in the Proxy Connections section, that's it. Apparently to many settings fouls everything up.

Also pay close attention to the Secondary DNS entry of the GPRS Connections, no it's not a mistake, and I didn't forget to enter in an address, you want to leave it BLANK, just like the User name, Password, and IP address.

Now set all the connections to Automatic. If the Work Connection or the Secure WAP Connection or both say None Available, you OK, don't worry about those two, but Internet and WAP connections should both be set to Automatic.

The last thing you will want to do is configure Internet Explorer on your Smartphone.

Go to: Internet Explorer - Menu - Options - Connections

-Make sure there is NO check mark in the box to Automatically Detect Settings.

-Select Network : WAP Network

I did most of this, but where do you go to set the connections to automatic? I have T-mobile SDA US version. Thanks!

Guest famished
I did most of this, but where do you go to set the connections to automatic? I have T-mobile SDA US version. Thanks!

Nevermind, it just started working and works like a charm!!!!!!!! You guys rule!

• 2 months later...

In case anyone is still reading info on this topic. I have not been successful with the 4.99/5.99 T-Zones plan for my SDA. However, you can still manipulate the system just a little but. You can use the 19.99 blackberry data plan and it does work and doesnt require any different configurations. What you do is log onto www.tmobile.com change your device to show a blackberry phone, then change your services from the 29.99 data plan , to the 19.99 blackberry data plan, and that's it! See, tmobile's breakdown of the 29.99 plan is 15.00 for the data and 14.99 for the tmobile hotspot but they say they cannot split them up. Since the blackberry phones don't have wi-fi, they only charge 19.99 for their data plan. Hope this helps!

Guest notaliberal
In case anyone is still reading info on this topic. I have not been successful with the 4.99/5.99 T-Zones plan for my SDA. However, you can still manipulate the system just a little but. You can use the 19.99 blackberry data plan and it does work and doesnt require any different configurations. What you do is log onto www.tmobile.com change your device to show a blackberry phone, then change your services from the 29.99 data plan , to the 19.99 blackberry data plan, and that's it! See, tmobile's breakdown of the 29.99 plan is 15.00 for the data and 14.99 for the tmobile hotspot but they say they cannot split them up. Since the blackberry phones don't have wi-fi, they only charge 19.99 for their data plan. Hope this helps!

Disagree. I've been using my SDA with the 4.99/mo plan for 6 months, and I have full web browsing capabilities, pop email, all with no problems. All I did was use the Abatis T-Mobile GPRS/Proxy cabs - install them, set PIE connection to WAP Network and UNcheck "Automatically Detect" - and everything works perfectly.

Well, with the exception of streaming radio/TV. Still can't get the proxy to be used for TCPMP or Mediaplayer...

Good luck,