WiFi SDIO on MDA Compact II (charmer)

Guest fUNKUS

Guest Pondrew

Well, you've confused me Funkus. I've just followed the link in my post (clicking on the word 'here' takes you to it - maybe it wasn't obvious enough). Takes me to a thread started by a member called AaronSoup...

Guest fUNKUS

hehe im good at confusing and being confused. I missed your link there, aparrently my eyes have trouble with blue and black!

I'm Persuing further help at xda so keep an eye on this thread:

XDA forum clicky

Thanks for the link it looks encouraging!

fUNKUS

Edited by fUNKUS

• 2 months later...
Guest windmillhills

It seems some progress has been made on this problem recently. See this thread on another forum:

XDA developer's forum - "HTC Charmer/MDA Compact II WiFi SDIO"

FUNKUS, can you update us on whether you have been successful or not? My Spectec card which I bought a couple of months ago is still sat on my shelf gathering dust, hoping that T-mobile might finally do a ROM update.

Edited by windmillhills

Guest fUNKUS

Major Update:

We have reports of two people sucessfully using the compact II with the Sandisk 256/wifi card using a workaround discovered by a german xda dev user named anna. By tuesday/wednesday i should have the card and will post any results and insructions.

(see the xda link above for further details)

Unfortunately the card is widely discontinued but there are always a few on ebay. I'll hang on to the spectet card untill 'march' just in case.

Others should try the workaround discussed by anna on the xda developers forum with their make/model of card, the same workaround may work for other sdio wifi cards.

Edited by fUNKUS

Guest fUNKUS

Can everybody say the words 'Multiple wireless networks detected' ?

:) :) ;)

Anna's workaround works (with the sandisk card)

i can confirm this, we owe her many thanks.

-hard reset-('clear storage' in system settings works)

1 installed gps info,

2 installed the sandisk driver

-restarted ppc-

3 selected sandisk in network cards

4 set andvanced netwok connections to 'my work network' in both

5 Plugged it in

6 IT WORKED

(Can admin/moderators let me know if its ok to post links to the drivers here?)

Edited by fUNKUS

Guest Pondrew

Links to the official web pages hosting the drivers are fine (basically, linking to anything that's openly available online and not infringing the forum rules is ok but we prefer you not to post direct links to the files...)

Glad to hear it works. Sounds like a driver problem then rather than nefarious work at T-Mobile/HTC...

Guest windmillhills

What about the Spectec SDW820?

That's great news Funkus. However, is your success only using the Sandisk combination card or have you tried the Spectec Card that most of us have (and I think you have or had)? This card still seems to be the one most commonly available on eBay. I've held onto mine (bought a few months ago) just incase the pending ROM update from T-Mobile fixed things.

Spectec SDW 820 SDIO WiFi card - manufacturer page

Guest fUNKUS

oh sorry i didnt make that clear

1. The 256/wifi card from Sandisk works with the workaround

2. Socket Wireless LAN SDIO Card Reportedly Works using the workaround (see xda link below for more info)

Socket card Link

3. The Spectec sdw820 does not, i have tried the workaround but it wont work

However, my spectec card may be faulty, as could anyones, SDIO's are infamous for being unreliable and easy to break so people should keep trying the workaround on xda with different cards, and im positive that a few more will work, hopefully some that are more readily available, and maybe smaller.

That being said the Sandisk 256/wifi may be large but it does give me extra storage space in absence of my 2gb sdio. Lots of things to consider, and how it looks should be last.

Files are available here (page3):XDA Developers Link

(i cant give official links cos it looks like the driver file used as a workaround has been updated and im not sure if the newer one will work)

'Sounds like a driver problem then rather than nefarious work at T-Mobile/HTC...' Yer looks like it, they just didnt test the wifi cos theres another version with it built in. Bit sloppy but not an intentional wifi block. Apologies for the rants :roll:

Edited by fUNKUS

Guest windmillhills

Sorry, this is really dumb. I have downloaded the driver files on xda-developers forum ie gpsinfo[1][1][1].2577.cab

Now what do I do? WinRAR recognises it and extracts it into 3 files with extensions 001 and 002. How do I get these to install on the MDAII?

Guest fUNKUS

Just put 'gpsinfo[1][1][1].2577.cab' in your 'my documents' folder in your ppc and click it. :)

It'll install the workaround/gpsjunk, (you might have to click 'yes')

Dont extract it on your pc first, winrar just associates itself to .cab files.

[sorry the files arent available here, you have to reg at xda to download from the forum

but i dont run an ftp server and a yousendit link wont last long enough, if someone finds

me somewhere to host it ill do so, cos backdated drivers arent available online n e where else]

Edited by fUNKUS

Guest windmillhills

Thanks Funkus. Now getting very close!!! I bought a Sandisk card on eBay slightly different to the one you guys have used.

Sandisk Wifi card bought on eBay

I can now see my wireless network but am having trouble connecting when putting in the encryption key. I used the driver for your card not mine. How do I get the .cab file from this page ?

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1111

Edited by windmillhills

Guest windmillhills

WIFI on T-mobile MDA II works with Sandisk SD card SDWSDB000

I can confirm the good news that this evening I have got my t-mobile MDA II compact to connect to my home WIFI network.

The access point is a 3COM 3CRWE754G72-A. It works when set on all modes (ie 11b, 11g, both and long range).

The SD WIFI card is the Sandisk SDWSDB0000 (without memory) which I picked up on eBay for

Edited by windmillhills

Guest Roadhog

I've followed this topic with much interest, but I notice that many of the wifi cards you are using are old ones. have any of you tried using newer cards which claim to be compatible with WM5? Or is the only option to buy a secondhand card?

I'm interested as i'd like to take advantage of hotspots to keep my w&w bills down, but am reluctant to spend

Guest jonajuna

whats of more interest to me, is that now Tmob have absolutely no excuse for not issuing a rom that will fully enable the sdio slot

if us mere end users can create a workaround (thats a royal "us" btw :) ) then those professional we are paying for with our contracts should be able to sort it out

Guest Pondrew
whats of more interest to me, is that now Tmob have absolutely no excuse for not issuing a rom that will fully enable the sdio slot

if us mere end users can create a workaround (thats a royal "us" btw :) ) then those professional we are paying for with our contracts should be able to sort it out

I don't agree. All the workaround shows is that the problem isn't with the sdio slot but with the drivers and it's actually down to the wifi card producers to provide those, not T-Mobile.

I do however agree that the Compact II rom is WAY overdue and I'm fed up waiting!

Guest jonajuna
I don't agree. All the workaround shows is that the problem isn't with the sdio slot but with the drivers and it's actually down to the wifi card producers to provide those, not T-Mobile.

I do however agree that the Compact II rom is WAY overdue and I'm fed up waiting!

the wifi drivers for the particular cards that work, work fine, just that a "patch" of installing the gpsinfo[1][1][1].2577.cab file is required first. i doubt that this file has anything to do with wifi and everything to do with sdio

Guest Pondrew

But wifi drivers by definition communicate between the SDIO card and the device. If they weren't sufficient to do that (and it seems some providers drivers were...) then they needed to be tweaked by the card provider. All T-Mobile/HTC do is certify that the device is SDIO compatible. It's upto the sdio card producers to write the appropriate drivers and write their compatibility list. Then it's upto us to shop for a card that is compatible with our device...

At least, that's my opinion anyway. :)

The good news of course is that now those involved have identified that some drivers work there's no reason why all wifi card sellers shouldn't adapt their drivers accordingly.

Guest fUNKUS
Then it's upto us to shop for a card that is compatible with our device...

Id be inclined to agree with you if there had been a single wifi card that worked without a sdio based workaround. Plus the new german rom suddenly makes these devices work, so it looks like it is the rom.

T-mobile Germany have (with very interesting timing! :) ) released a rom update that makes wifi sdio's work and brings back the connection manager ect. German xda usered have confirmed this.We just have to wait for them to translate it i expect.

The download manager now says 'Release Expected: TBC' , hopefully this is good news

Edited by fUNKUS

Guest Pondrew

Funkus, the new T-Mobile UK MDA Compact II rom is here too as of yesterday. Have you tried it yet?

From what you say there was a fix possible in rom which T-Mobile have finally delivered. All's well that ends well (hopefully?)

Guest Roadhog
Funkus, the new T-Mobile UK MDA Compact II rom is here too as of yesterday.

Where is it? I've never been able to find any link to any rom update for any device on the uk tmob site.

Guest Roadhog
Right here at the T-Mobile Download Manager site.

Thank you. Has anyone installed the update and managed to get a previously incompatible wifi card to work without the gps workaround?