PocketSNES 1.53

Guest masterall

Guest shanekfrancis
Highlight:

1. smooth stretch for all display mode, text is much easy to read with smooth stretch on for SmartPhone

2. support both zip and gzip rom

3. some speed hacks to get it faster

1.52 add loadstate and savestate menu, fix auto frameskip function, add smooth stretch for portrait large display mode, add more check when load rom to avoid emulator to hang. In this version, autosave is disabled, but the original .000 file can be renamed to .pss and load state from file.

There is a quirk when enabling sound. First enable it with sound sync, exit it. Open it again, then the sound is enabled.

To achieve a better emulation speed, turn off sound, and use frameskip 4 with frame autoskip enabled.

It need a free version tgetfile.dll to run, which can be get from http://tillanosoft.com/ce/tgetfile.html

Please, I beg somebody to make a WM5 smartphone SNES emulator. All i want for christmas is this emulator. If i had an ounce of computer intelligance to make one I would.

I'm a newbie at this but I have a i607, everything works beautifully and fine.

I'm using Pocketnester and it is amazing.

But... is there any way I can save the controller settings. The default is 0xC1,2,3,4 for the four right buttons. I can't seem to figure out which buttons those are. I have been setting my own controller buttons but I have to change them every time. Any help would be really awesome, Thank you.

-Andy

Edited by andizl

Guest Tsujen Guy

Hey im using a t-mobile dash, got pocketsnes/tgetfile both in my documents. When I open pocketsnes it stays open for 2 sec than just closes completely. Any idea why?

• 1 month later...
Guest mikeeey

YES!! versions 1.53!! masterall is back!! at the moment PocketSnes runs kinda slow with my new Kaiser, i guess it just doesnt support the GFX chip, it uses the Qualcomm 7200 chipset, hopefully it will be supported soon! way to go masterall!

EDIT: I noticed on my kaiser that it will run 60/60fps when audio is turned off, when turned on i get about 20/60fps. Since this is a new phone nothing really supports it to its full potental yet.

Edited by mikeeey

EDIT: I noticed on my kaiser that it will run 60/60fps when audio is turned off, when turned on i get about 20/60fps. Since this is a new phone nothing really supports it to its full potental yet.

mehehehe you want FULL potential on 400 mhz qualcomm(gfx chip is other story)? lol. new devices are not always better(but shiny, yes...).

btw, you aren't trying to use sound with 0 frameskip(LOL!)?

consider this as friendly post..

thanks for release, Masterall, it was quiet for a while...that version seems to be faster a bit.

Edited by nothin

Guest dario69
YES!! versions 1.53!! masterall is back!! at the moment PocketSnes runs kinda slow with my new Kaiser, i guess it just doesnt support the GFX chip, it uses the Qualcomm 7200 chipset, hopefully it will be supported soon! way to go masterall!

20 fps with sound turned on? Yikes. I get that with my 201 Omap overclocked to 264mhz. I guess the things they said about that chip is true. Crap, and HTC is using this thing more and more.

Guest mikeeey
20 fps with sound turned on? Yikes. I get that with my 201 Omap overclocked to 264mhz. I guess the things they said about that chip is true. Crap, and HTC is using this thing more and more.

but on my t-mobile sda OC'd to 264mhz i was able to get 55/60fps with sound.

Guest mikeeey
mehehehe you want FULL potential on 400 mhz qualcomm(gfx chip is other story)? lol. new devices are not always better(but shiny, yes...).

btw, you aren't trying to use sound with 0 frameskip(LOL!)?

consider this as friendly post..

thanks for release, Masterall, it was quiet for a while...that version seems to be faster a bit.

yea your right, the problem here is pocketSnes basicly sees it as a 200mhz Omap CPU. if it was supported, im sure it would go much faster, until then, new devices arent always better (when they're not supported).

yea your right, the problem here is pocketSnes basicly sees it as a 200mhz Omap CPU. if it was supported, im sure it would go much faster, until then, new devices arent always better (when they're not supported).

it doesnt matter what psnes "sees" lol. it takes power, if it is not enough power...then it is just slow..

or qualcomm 400 mhz is just(lol) omap 200 mhzx2 cpu...

but - on my wizard oc'ed to 273 mhz i have 35-45 fps with sound...hm.not 20.

still not enough;/

btw, psnes was arm/xscale optimised, i don't know, how masterall's psnes is optimised..

Edited by nothin

Guest mikeeey
it doesnt matter what psnes "sees" lol. it takes power, if it is not enough power...then it is just slow..

or qualcomm 400 mhz is just(lol) omap 200 mhzx2 cpu...

but - on my wizard oc'ed to 273 mhz i have 35-45 fps with sound...hm.not 20.

still not enough;/

btw, psnes was arm/xscale optimised, i don't know, how masterall's psnes is optimised..

well all im trying to say is i think it isnt it's full potential. for example smartgear plays Sega Genesis Faster than Picodrive. i guess il just wait

smartgear plays Sega Genesis Faster than Picodrive

uh, really? i need to check this out, then. where is link to that emu?

Edited by nothin

Guest masterall

MSM7200 use an arm11 core for running wm6.

I read the arm11 technical reference, it shows that although it may reach a higher frequency, it uses a more deep pipeline architecture, like intel Pentium IV. More, it has interlocks which do not exist on arm9, thus some code sequences may cost double cycles than on an arm9.

However, to rewrite the code original optimized for arm9 to arm11 will fill the gap and be faster if make use of the new instructions in arm11.

Edited by masterall

Guest mikeeey
MSM7200 use an arm11 core for running wm6.

I read the arm11 technical reference, it shows that although it may reach a higher frequency, it uses a more deep pipeline architecture, like intel Pentium IV. More, it has interlocks which do not exist on arm9, thus some code sequences may cost double cycles than on an arm9.

However, to rewrite the code original optimized for arm9 to arm11 will fill the gap and be faster if make use of the new instructions in arm11.

cool, thanks for the info. would it be hard to re-write the code to work with arm11? would you have any plans to do so in the future? maybe along with some of your other emulators too?

i love your emulators, they're just a bit slower on my new kaiser.

what do you plan to include in the PocketSnes 1.54 build?

Guest PolloLoco

I just tried out the new version of PocketSNES, I'm glad you're still working on it. Sadly, I can't use it regularly because it still won't allow me to play in a screen orientation of landscape right. As other users have mentioned, if we have a keyboard device that requires it (like the 6700) you need to have the screen above the buttons.

This emulator quits out when you try to load a game after selecting landscape right. Landscape left works great, but it's awkward at best to have the screen or controls upside down.

This works quite well on my Blackjack (i607). The framerate video is reasonably smooth for even late-era SNES games.

Set the video options for Portrait mode (that's right, NOT landscape), transparency enabled, auto frameskip, frame skip 2 or 4. I use frame skip 2, but different clock speeds may require different skip rates.

Disable audio, unless you like irregular audio at the expense of your frame rate.

My Blackjack's cpu is clocked at 264 MHz using OmapClock. Changing the clock speed from 252 (my previous OmapClock setting) to 264 yielded a noticeable performance boost. The video is smoother, and audio does not click when I turn it on. With audio on, at a clock speed of 264 MHz, the video and audio both play at a slightly slower than normal rate, though the audio is smoother (less clicking). Either way, I leave audio turned off.

There are many tutorials, readily accessible through Google, which contain abundant information on how to overclock your Blackjack's cpu. Many of these pages will tell you that you may encounter potentially serious problems (some of which could make you the proud owner of little BlackBrick) if you overclock your device beyond 252 MHz. Some users report that they've kept their devices clocked at 264 MHz with no problems.

masterall, thanks for your efforts on this port. It works quite well on my device, and it provides a great diversion while I'm waiting for the bus. ;)

How's the Blackjack's navigation pad for gaming? Can it do diagonals (aka 8-way / 9-way input)?

With there finally being a SNES emu that supports landscape screens, those devices got just a bit more interesting again. ;)

can we the gba files on memory card or it must be on phone memory>????

well, i need that fluid that you drink.

you can keep gba files on cd, hdd ,external hdd, sd card etc - you cannot use it with pocketsnes, so keep it anywhere you like ;)

i can't see options to access my memory card from the explorer???

so, you are new in ppc world?

-----------

btw - current version is giving me 56-130 fps in chrono trigger, emu set to FS 3, nosound, wizard @ 273 mhz...

Edited by nothin