T-Mobile Unlimited GPRS - IT'S OFFICIAL!

Guest PaulOBrien

As far as I can see there is NO way t-mobile can tell if you are using a mobile browser or a laptop - data is data - whatever packet monitoring they use.

The only way they can stop services is port blocking - or packet shaping (which would make no distinction about client device)

I don't know if I'm falling into the trap of re-writing the rules to suit myself - the reason I think no laptops is stated.... think about it laptop use could seriously see users up in the 50GB mark if they use it like broadband - and people could run up to their AUP in days. I suspect these are the people it covers - whereas if you use a dialup monitor (personally find dumeter quite good) and make sure you only use a maximum of a gig or 2 a month you won't attract any attention - including reasonable 'personal' file transfers, etc

Put your self in t-mobs shoes... P2P of movies and the like is taking the piss - and it's fully understandable for them why VOIP should be a no no.

The thing that does suprise me is the fact they don't seem to have made any efforts to tie people into 3G kit - or make it more common - or unlimited only being on 3G, limiting ammouts of GPRS, etc.

I honestly still suspect that congestion will make this proposition self - regulating. Also I was led to beleive GPRS uses voice channels (which seems to tie in with what kam says) whereas 3G doesn't so congestion may also impact voice calls which is a bit poor

Edited by kaf

Guest adudley
The only thing that's stopped me doing this allready is the fact that T-Mob refused me credit.

I pannicked and checked my credit rating at checkmyfile.com only to find the credit agencies didn't recognise me at my new address - this could have something to do with the fact that I hadn't actually got round to telling my banks, credit cards etc - D'Oh!

As soon as I get this sorted (checkmyfile are very helpful - well worth the money BTW) I will sign up with T-Mob. It seems just what I'm after.

Thanks for the info fleabag - assuming what you say to be true, you've made me a happy man ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just register to vote and that will fix credit ratings

As far as I can see there is NO way t-mobile can tell if you are using a mobile browser or a laptop - data is data - whatever packet monitoring they use.

The only way they can stop services is port blocking - or packet shaping (which would make no distinction about client device)

Also I was led to beleive GPRS uses voice channels (which seems to tie in with what kam says) whereas 3G doesn't so congestion may also impact voice calls which is a bit poor

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you're right they can't actually tell the origin of the data, but with a packet inspection firewall they can block certain types of data, regardless of the port you're using. I could for exmple proxy all my traffic through port 80 to my home machine, this would get around any port blocking.

But i could also VPN with weak encryption (to save battery) to my home machine and that would render a packet inspection firewall useless too.

Even if they block vpn ports i could proxy TCP to my machine - port 80 - and VPN through that. It would look like a jumbled mess of a web connection.

Realistically tho a packet inspection firewall would be veryyyyexpensive to handle millions of connections per second, and the benefit for them is average since you can still get around it.

I'm pretty sure they won't have a system in please that measure your burst data usage, and they'll just be going by the total data you use per month. If it goes over 1 GB i imagine they'll acuse you of using a laptop. Before everyone goes mental, i picked 1GB at random, and it could be slightly more or slightly less.

Why set a limit on the handset only package, when you know there is a conveivable maximum anyone could surf from their phone alone! Putting a limit would only hurt marketing.

As for GPRS, yes it uses voice channels. In UMTS (3g) there are no voice channels as such, but it uses the same bandwidth which would otherwise be used for calls. The only thing is that with 3g there's ALOT of spare bandwidth - especially now with so few users.

I'm sure t-mobile aren't pushing everyone to 3g simply because their network is rubish! Coverage is sparse, and you can expect Three to react with an even cheaper price mark if T-Mobile attempt to push too hard with this tarriff on 3g.

Guest andrewilley

Right, it's all official on the T-Mobile UK website now (click on the Web'n'Walk graphic on the home page). Just to clip a few bits out to save people time:

Our new Flext + web 'n' walk plans adapt to you. As well as unlimited surfing*, you get a monthly allowance to use for calls, texts, voicemail and picture messages to any UK network at any time.

Automatic

You don't have to decide in advance! Use your allowance however you want. Even if you use it up, you still get great value call rates.

Weekly text alerts

We send you a text every week with how much allowance you have left and the date of your next bill.

Best plan check up

We'll contact you after six months and recommend a different plan if that helps reduce your bill.

Plan                                Monthly Charge          (Allowance)

Flext 20 + Web 'n' walk £27.50 -25%= £20.63  (£34) 

Flext 25 + Web 'n' walk £32.50 -25%= £24.38  (£60)

Flext 30 + Web 'n' walk £37.50 -25%= £28.13  (£90) 

Flext 35 + Web 'n' walk £42.50 -25%= £31.88  (£180) 

Flext 50 + Web 'n' walk £57.50 -25%= £43.13  (£255) 

Flext 75 + Web 'n' walk £82.50 -25%= £61.83  (£390) 

*The Relax web 'n' walk and Flext web 'n' walk price plans are subject to a minimum term contact and credit check. Compatible handset required. Fair use policy applies: The web 'n' walk option, Relax web 'n' walk and Flext web 'n' walk price plans provide unlimited internet surfing on mobile handsets in the UK. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to): modem access for computers, internet based video/audio streaming services, peer to peer file sharing, internet based video download and internet based telephony. If such use is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission.

Well that's me sorted! Even on the very lowest tarif, for £20.63 you get £34 of mixed talk/text/MMS credit and unlimited handset net browsing. However you look at it, that ain't bad!

Andre

Guest cfsnatch
Right, it's all official on the T-Mobile UK website now (click on the Web'n'Walk graphic on the home page).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to save anyone else phoning up today, even though it's now on the website they still can't access the new Web'n'walk on their systems till tomorrow...

Also, has the add Web'n'walk option disappeared from everyone else's 'My T-Mobile'? Looking unlikely that adding the £7.50 to my existing plan will be an option tomorrow then...

Also, has the add Web'n'walk option disappeared from everyone else's 'My T-Mobile'?  Looking unlikely that adding the £7.50 to my existing plan will be an option tomorrow then...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It dissapeared a few days ago. I suspect it may be because alot of people were adding it to their plan prematurely because of threads like this one ;)

I'm sure it will re-apear tommorow

Guest Confucious

I wanted to get the compact II for free but the only phone otions are the compact II with CP for £70 or the n*kia N70 for free or the PRO for £100

that's on Flext 25 - for 4 suid more a month the Compact II with copilot is only £40 and you get 50% more allowance!

Or for £31.88 it's free and you get 3 times the allowance - that's about 600 mins AND 600 texts a month!

but the site errors before my order goes through....

Edited by Confucious

Guest toon9

Slightly off topic......but the Vario seems to have dissappeared completely from the T-Mobile range (online at least).

I was in a major T-Mobile outlet last night (Northumberland St, Newcastle), and was told there was a stock problem.

Could this mean they would speed up the release of the Vario II.

(Very co-operative T-Mobile store staff member was kind enough to take my contact details and promised call me if anything transpired as regards the new version of Vario)

Not going to hold my breathe though................consumers (or are we really beta testers for these products) always seem more informed than store staff.

Another guy in the lcoal Orange store tried to tell me the imminent M600 on Orange "is the one with the slide out keyboard".........c'mon !!

Guest rizzles
I wanted to get the compact II for free but the only phone otions are the compact II with CP for £70 or the n*kia N70 for free or the PRO for £100

that's on Flext 25 - for 4 suid more a month the Compact II with copilot is only £40 and you get 50% more allowance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look here: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?nmid2...&pf=Flext+plans

you can get it free on the cheapest flext plan

Guest shenson
There's nothing there about the business WnW plans.  They still show a 40MB limit.

Yes that's a bit worrying but I notice some parts of the website look like they are under construction.

Also that bit in the FUP:

they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to): ...

IANAL but I would think you'd have to explicitly spell out what the "other activities" are not just leave it open ended with the "including anything else we can think of" part.

Guest pjam001

Looks like all the prices for these tariffs are as previously posted.

You can now add a phone on a normal flext tariff and on the next screen you are offered unlimited surfing for an add on of £7.50.

Strangely, all the phones are available on the normal flext tariff (as posted above, except for vario) but not on the new combined tariff. Will they be added tomorrow?

Guest andrewilley
Slightly off topic......but the Vario seems to have dissappeared completely from the T-Mobile range (online at least).

Same with the newish Nokia 6111, which my wife wants. It's in stores, but not on T-Mobile online. Odd.

Andre

Guest pjam001

If you phone about the Nokia 6111 you may be able to get one. I know someone who phoned up this week and despite it not being on the site, they got one.

Guest Pagemakers

Just spoken to a very helpful lady at t-mobile and I have just signed up with them.

To confirm....BOTH personal and business plans have a fair usage cap of 2GB. You CAN go over this limit but your account is monitored over a 3 month period and if you take the piss.........

She said the business data plan was faster but I don't see how.

Regarding the 25% life discount. Providing you stay with a flext plan (or relax if you are on that), you can move up and down plans freely without loosing your discount (this was confirmed with a supervisor).

Bye bye Orange - Hello T-Mobile.

Guest shenson

Just a quick question... assuming the bundles reappear tomorrow (hopefully including the "Pro") how could they be added to the SIM only tariff? I've yet to received the PIN for "My T-mobile". Does it require a call to customer services at 50p/min or is there some other way?

Guest shenson
To confirm....BOTH personal and business plans have a fair usage cap of 2GB.  You CAN go over this limit but your account is monitored over a 3 month period and if you take the piss......... 

She said the business data plan was faster but I don't see how.

Did she confirm any other details about the business plan?

I've been told the business plan has a higher upload speed so that's what she may mean by "faster".

Guest Pagemakers
Did she confirm any other details about the business plan?

I've been told the business plan has a higher upload speed so that's what she may mean by "faster".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Free voicemail, itemised billing, dedicated support person, 24 hours phone replacement free for 12 months. Same price tariffs.

Guest shadamehr
Just spoken to a very helpful lady at t-mobile and I have just signed up with them.

Regarding the 25% life discount.  Providing you stay with a flext plan (or relax if you are on that), you can move up and down plans freely without loosing your discount (this was confirmed with a supervisor).

Bye bye Orange - Hello T-Mobile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that is true that is AMAZING news...

Can Shenson or Fleabag or any other T-Mobile expert, confirm?

I've just ordered my MDA Pro for just £69.99 on a contract with unlimited data, and £90 allowance, for under £30 a month - how unbelievable is all that!

"The Future's bright... SO bright, I gotta wear T-Mobile Shades!"

Guest Pagemakers
If that is true that is AMAZING news...

Can Shenson or Fleabag or any other T-Mobile expert, confirm?

I've just ordered my MDA Pro for just £69.99 on a contract with unlimited data, and £90 allowance, for under £30 a month - how unbelievable is all that!

"The Future's bright...  SO bright, I gotta wear T-Mobile Shades!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

£69, where from? Mine's just cost £99 for the same thing.

Guest Swampie

I was in a major T-Mobile outlet last night (Northumberland St, Newcastle), and was told there was a stock problem.

Could this mean they would speed up the release of the Vario II.

(Very co-operative T-Mobile store staff member was kind enough to take my contact details and promised call me if anything transpired as regards the new version of Vario)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly, T-Mobile's website automatically removes phones from view if they're out of stock. It just means that the Vario is out of stock at the moment.

Also, someone within T-Mobile (on here) confirmed that their intranet systems show phones which are 'coming soon' (ie. next 1-2 months). The Vario II is *not* on that list, and as far as he could tell, was not on the system at all. Implication was that it's over 2 months away (at least!).

Judging by that, I'd not expect the Vario II before June at the earliest.

Guest Swampie
£69, where from?  Mine's just cost £99 for the same thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go to T-Mobile's website, select the Web'n'Walk link in the middle of the page. Select the Flext+Web'n'Walk package. Select Flext 30 (ie. the £90 allowance package) and you'll see the MDA Pro as being £69.99

Guest quartershade

So do you reckon the unlimited gprs will be available to existing Relax customers?

Will it be a simple case of adding an 'extra' (asis the case with txts) or is it a totally different plan?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.