T-Mobile Unlimited GPRS - IT'S OFFICIAL!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Confucious

Glad it's sorted - you shouldn't have had any problems but at least they've sorted it now.

Unlimieted for 7.50 is slightly better than the 10Mb for 6 squid or whatever it as you had before.

I love it ;)

Guest Stabilo
Great news, thanks rizzles.

I am sat here poised with my editor. Can you anyone provide details of the registry edit & which machines does it work with?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the latest official T-Mobile ROM's for the Vario struggle to connect at even 802.11b never mind 802.11g. Spent 15 hours yesterday trying to connect a brand new Vario to my wireless network without joy. My laptop, M2000 & M600 all connect but not the Vario.

After an unlock, incl CID, and a change of ROM the Vario connected at 802.11g first time. The Vario really zips along now and with unlimited GPRS it's a great deal (cost

Guest shenson
I'm awaiting to see if a third one will work which might have been from the CS call.

Got the third PIN today and it worked. I can confirm that the option to add web'n'walk is present on the SIM only tariff and I've added it :P

I'll be interested to see if the "Pro" option appears too.

When Tuesday arrives it will be goodbye Orange ;)

Guest Fleabag

Time to set the concerns of Web N Walk lovers at rest! The Pro version is almost with us and the information regarding the FUP and usage is now available from T-Mobile (just give them a call and they can confirm any of the information listed here) - this should hopefully put to an end the rumoursa few people have started with regard to "top secret documents". Availability is scheduled for April 18th, but at this point it will only be available to corporate customers (this does not include business

Guest Fleabag

protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission. Use of Voice Over Internet Protocol and Messaging Over Internet Protocol is prohibited by T-Mobile. If use of either or both of these services is detected T-Mobile may terminate all contracts with the customer and disconnect any SIM cards and/or web 'n' walk cards from the T-Mobile network.

Guest Perfectionist

Banning VOIP is a major PITA !! Am now wondering whether this "Pro" version is actually worth it for purely phone users ??

WnW "Standard" ___________ WnW "Pro"

Edited by Perfectionist

I guess it explains the cheap price. The increased speed is irelevant with such restrictions and 2GB limit.

I can't quite see the use in the pro version for me as a business user. I've checked the WiFi coverage as well and it's poor to say the least. They allow you to roam onto BT connect, but thats only marginally better and costs you for the privaledge. I assume there's a GB limit on that too?

I'm realising even with the normal version i'm strugling to do more than 50mb with the crawling GPRS speeds since its launch. With the half price line rental i'm better off leaving it on, but i got to say i havn't been impressed at all with the WnW add on thus far.

Guest Confucious

You can't please everyone.

the standard version is ideal for me - my broadband hasn't been working over the w/e and I've only had my phone. unlimited 3G access is just what the Universal needs - it's great ;)

My friend has a laptop with a voda card in it - costs about 50 a month - the T-mob pro is ideal for him, it's on all day and he uses 4-600Mb/ month.

For most people VOIP is an irrelivence and the 2Gb limit is plenty. T's prices are just so muxh cheaper than everyone else but still people moan!

As for their coverage checker - I agree that could do with updating. It says I only have 2.5G at home but I have 3G - I am still a very happy man :P

Guest Confucious

The pro version seems to be aimed at laptop users. the added bonus of wifi hotspots will benefit all the comuters on the wifi enabled trains and when high speed 3G is available they will have access to that as well - although presumeably new hardware will be needed.

Guest Perfectionist

I think it's only a matter of time before VOIP kills all the Telco's both land and mobile .....

All the Telco's will have to switch to becoming bandwidth providers and T-mobile could have been at the cutting edge if they had trully offered unlimited usage ;)

Guest Confucious

Why on earth use VOIP for UK based calls? can see a case for calling abroad but I have enough voice minutes on my mobile and virtually free calls on my landline.

What is the argument for VOIP for your average caller?

I think people are very confused about VoIP rates. Landline charges are miniscule to most countries, and so VoIP will only drive down international calls DIRECT from your mobile, just like whats happened on your landline.

You provider BT, BELL etc have introduced international plans with a per month add on to reduce international charges. This is what will happen on mobiles if VoIP gets out of hand. In fact regardless of VoIP having a noticable effect this is already happening on most networks.

BUT terminating to mobiles is expensive and always will be. If you call T-Mobile for example from your orange phone, they have a fixed interconnect charge that orange must pay per minute to terminate the call through T-Mobile.

This is efectively a monopoly for calls coming into their network, since ONLY they can terminate these calls.

Conversly Orange will charge T-Mobile just as high a rate to interconnect into their network. The same rate will apply to BT, BELL etc.

So no matter if you're using VoIP, direct dial or anything else there is a fixed minimum to terminate to a mobile network. VoIP won't reduce this.

This is exactly what BT, BELL etc enjoyed for years terminating landline calls until regulation stepped in. With landline other companies can hire lines at cheap rates, and buy bulk minutes, thus competing with BT, BELL etc.

VoIP to VoIP may posibly have some effect because it bypasses the PSTN network completely, but it will take a long time for the masses to addopt it. I imagine a time pretty far in the future where everyone will have a PSTN number, and an online address, and you can dial either.

But for the moment technology isn't there yet, mobiles strugle to live up to battery expectations of users. processor speeds increase each year, but battery times remain roughly constant, or the phones become larger to compensate.

Its unlikely you can expect any phone to handle GSM and VoIP at the same time for the entire day (Over GPRS, 3G or WiFi). Sure you can turn it on only to dial out, but then no one can call your VoIP address, so they'll have to use the PSTN network. You loose the VoIP to VoIP advantage.

Well i chalenge anyone to find a retail VoIP provider who charges less than 20 cents to uk cellphones. So then why would you bother with the hassle of VoIP if you can't receive incoming calls, and have to pay 20 cents for calls to other cellphones, when its way cheaper using your calling plan!

Edited by kam_

Guest Confucious
*. Waiting for Vario II so I can have push email for my exchange 2003 box.

Get yourself a Universal (MDA Pro) and you can have it now ;)

Guest travisb

I've got the Web & Walk bundle on Flext 25. Had the contract just over 1 week.

Yesterday was checking my email a few times during the day and forwarded on a couple with pdf attachments (not that big). Last night was doing a bit of surfing when I got a message pop up:

'You have exceeded your daily GPRS data capacity'

Anyone else had this?

May be not so 'unlimited' after all.

Guest Confucious

Sounds like you have a GPRS Monitor set up with limits - open it up and have a look. That message will probably have come from s/ware on your PPC not from T-Mob themeselves

Guest travisb
Sounds like you have a GPRS Monitor set up with limits - open it up and have a look. That message will probably have come from s/ware on your PPC not from T-Mob themeselves

Ah, just checked PhoneAlarm, as I didn't install the GPRS counter that came on the CD. That was the culprit. ;)

Cheers Confucious!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.