T-Mobile Unlimited GPRS - IT'S OFFICIAL!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Confucious
Web 'n' Walk basically means 40MB of data usage per month. Regardless of wheter you are on old Web 'n' Walk tariff or on a bolt on from 1st April.

Talk of 1GB cap has been speculation by web users and in forums alike. T-Mobile has never said the cap will be 1GB. In reality, 40MB is almost like 'unlimited' to most of our users.

I had free browsing with Orange for the first 3 months and was using 50 - 70Mb / month - and that was before Push email!

40Mb is by no means unlimited and is certainly not enough.

Guest Xenzo1990

I think alot of people are questioning this merely on the basis of the poor knowledge of Customer Support staff at tmobile. Lets wait and see eh?

Guest travisb

T-Mob got their wrists slapped by the Advertising Standards Authority over the original Web n Walk adverts. Surely they are not that stupid that they'd risk another complaint over what constitutes 'Unlimited'.

Guess we'll just have to wait until 01/04.

Somehow this date is getting appropriate :^o

T-Mob got their wrists slapped by the Advertising Standards Authority over the original Web n Walk adverts. Surely they are not that stupid that they'd risk another complaint over what constitutes 'Unlimited'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why? I bought my web 'n' walk in december because of advertising - and I got EXACTLY what was promised.

Cant say I'd be as confident with the other 3 companies wishy washy non-specific adds. I mean look at O2s imode add ... what is it ... a space ship, a thing that takes pictures of bubbles, re-vamped "walled garden" another o2 poor coverage product ??????

With regards to this unlimited business - T-Mobile never called the original 40MB unlimited

Edited by kaf

Guest shadamehr

- It's gonna be 2 GIGABYTES Folks!!!!!

Further to the controversy surrounding the T-Mobile Web n Walk changes, and how I recieved an Email from a CS called Greg saying the cap will be a mere 40MB.

Well, I chased it up, AND ASSUMING THIS CSA BOD IS MORE CORRECT THAN GREG, the cap will indeed be the originally mooted 2GB !!!

Excellent news if correct.

What I would say mind you, is that given all the confusion, one would expect this reply to have indeed been PROPERLY checked out first, so should be more solid.

Certainly I will be keeping it in case I get capped lower!

Anyway - the Email I received mere seconds ago:

Hello Pxxxxxx

Thanks for your further email.

I can confirm the new bundle is £7.50 a month including VAT and you do get 2 GB subject to the fair use policy.

I hope this clarify's the new bundle charges and how much allowance you get for this.

Thanks again Pxxxxxx, for taking the time to contact me. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply to this email or contact us through our website.

Kind regards

Karen J

Email team

Here's hoping its true - but most likely it will be! "...2GB subject to the fair use policy" - I think she mean Unlimited, subject TO A 2GB Fair Use policy, but we know what she means!

Guest martin
Here's hoping its true - but most likely it will be! "...2GB subject to the fair use policy"
I reckon that unlimited (2GB fair use) is most likely correct.

The first CSR was obviously quoting the exiting web'n'walk package which has 40MB of inclusive GPRS and then £1 per MB.

The new T-mobile press release is headed "T-MOBILE OPENS UP WEB’N’WALK TO MORE CUSTOMERS. Unique open mobile Internet service option for £7.50 a month and now with unlimited browsing and e-mail" This indicates a change to web'n'walk and since the existing package already allowed unrestricted access to internet and email (as opposed to WAP) then unlimited must refer to data quanity ;)

Or at least that's how I read it ;)

Guest Confucious
Well that's that. Now the question is whether or not orange are gonna launch a similar package.

I doubt it!

T-Mobs offering together with their incredibly good value flx plan seems the way to go for me. Just my luck to find they have no coverage round here...

If they do it sounds like the ideal solution for me, get a compact II and sell it on eBay to cover the remainder of my Orange contract and put the USIM in my Exec. All I need now is for O2 to stop dragging their heels and release AKU2.

Guest travisb
Why? I bought my web 'n' walk in december because of advertising - and I got EXACTLY what was promised. 

Cant say I'd be as confident with the other 3 companies wishy washy non-specific adds. I mean look at O2s imode add ... what is it ... a space ship, a thing that takes pictures of bubbles, re-vamped "walled garden" another o2 poor coverage product ??????

With regards to this unlimited business - T-Mobile never called the original 40MB unlimited

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the Register 080206

T-Mobile has been ticked off for making exaggerated claims about its "web'n'walk" mobile internet service.

Launched last October, the cellco said the new service, which lets punters access the net via their handsets, would "redefine the mobile internet market" and would be used by people in the same way they tap into the net.

However, rival cellco Orange objected to a national press ad for the "web'n'walk" internet service on the grounds that T-Mobile overstated the availability of the service. The ad, which featured the service being used at a fashion show, said: "The internet wherever you are."

Orange pointed out that T-Mobile's coverage was only 86 per cent, yet the ad gave the impression that the service was available everywhere in the UK.

For its part, T-Mobile argued that the ad made the distinction that web'n'walk provided full internet access as opposed to older WAP technology. And to ensure that there was no confusion, it also said the service was "subject to coverage".

That didn't wash with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which "noted the unconditional and geographical nature of the phrase, 'the internet wherever you are'.

"We considered the use of such unconditional language to be contradictory to the qualification stated in the coverage disclaimer," it said in its ruling. "We concluded that the ad was misleading because readers were likely to interpret the claim to refer to geographical network coverage. We told T-Mobile to avoid making such unconditional claims in future advertising."

Still, good news about the 2 gb 'unlimited' limit

Guest Paul [MVP]
I doubt it!

T-Mobs offering together with their incredibly good value flx plan seems the way to go for me. Just my luck to find they have no coverage round here...

If they do it sounds like the ideal solution for me, get a compact II and sell it on eBay to cover the remainder of my Orange contract and put the USIM in my Exec. All I need now is for O2 to stop dragging their heels and release AKU2.

No USIM if you buy a charmer...

P

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

As i said in a previous post, i think all TMob SIMs are USIMs, either that or they messed uo when they sent me one with my MDA Compact 13 months ago! I didn't even realise until i put it into my Jasjar a month or two back and it picked up UMTS T-Mobile...

Guest Swampie

Guess we'll just have to wait until 01/04.

Somehow this date is getting appropriate  :^o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They got their wrists slapped because they claimed it gave you access to the internet anywhere. But surprise surprise, Orange complained that it didn't give access anywhere, because T-Mobile's coverage didn't go everywhere...

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/no...cation_id=40866

Good old Orange... ;)

Guest shadamehr
No USIM if you buy a charmer...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was led to believe all T-Mob SIMS are now issues as USIM by default, irrespective of device too Paul.

Also, if not, a phone call saying you now have a 3G handset of your own, is enough to have them send a replacement - at least it did for me with O2.

Guest shadamehr
From the Register 080206

T-Mobile has been ticked off for making exaggerated claims about its "web'n'walk" mobile internet service.

Still, good news about the 2 gb 'unlimited' limit

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Ruling against T-Mobile in relation to this case, was entirely to do with geographic coverage, and nothing to do with claims of data amounts etc.

HTH.

Roll on 2GB

Guest shadamehr
I think Orange will always provide nicer looking devices and more of them than t-mobile. Will be a shame if they don't match it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The M500 dark charcoal, on Orange, was horrible compared to the i-mate jam.

The dark coloured Orange M5000 was horrible and hard to read the keys compare to the T-Mobile MDA Pro and its clean silver sleak body and keys (the O2 Exec was even worse/darker though, admittedly)

The T-Mobile Vario with its sleak silver finish, and brushed aluminium effect surround, is sexy as hell.

Erm, exactly WHICH Orange device are you referring to where general web consensus has it that the ORANGE version of it, is nicer than other branded HTC flavours of the same device?

I can't think of any *lol*

The only one coming close is the C600 compared to the slightly larger i-mate sp5... but this does not compensate for the c600's lack of wi-fi, so the sp5 wins THAT ONE too *lol*

/me not 'trolling' - me just stating generally held opinion - I realise this can be subjective.

Guest Xenzo1990

Evidently you have a different views on how good a phone looks than me. In my opinion the JAM looked plasticy and slightly cheap in comparison to the finish Orange added to the m500.

T-Mobile's smartphone range can never be compared in terms of looks to Orange's. Orange's are alot smoother sleeker devices in my opinion.

I agree the Vario is a lovely device, however that's sadly not with Orange UK :'(

Don't forget the m600 ;) That quite honestly is one of the nicest pocket pc phone's i've seen.

But hey hey, its all down to the user's opinion at the end of the day.

I think Orange will always provide nicer looking devices and more of them than t-mobile.

&

agree the Vario is a lovely device, however that's sadly not with Orange UK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

erm...anyone notice a slight inconsistency there?!

Each to their own, but the way Orange have gone over the past 18 months or so I currently see very, very little to recommend them on.

Guest Confucious
I was led to believe all T-Mob SIMS are now issues as USIM by default, irrespective of device too Paul.

Also, if not, a phone call saying you now have a 3G handset of your own, is enough to have them send a replacement - at least it did for me with O2.

I have just emailed T-Mob for clarification. When I got my Exec Orange refused point blank to upgrade my SIM from my existing contract to a USIM and made me take out another contract - another reason I wont be sorry to leave Orange.

Guest Syphon Filter

What kind of data rates fo you guys get on T-Mobile GPRS?

I might bite the bullet and just get a Vario when these tariffs are out to buy.

I had NO idea that it had wifi and even the tmobile guy at the store said it didnt!! It wasnt until I saw a QTEK9100 today touted with wifi that i realised they are one and the same!

If the data rate on GPRS is ok then I could be tempted to take the plunge. I would only really be using it for a bit of browsing here and there, perhaps the odd check of email...but thats about it really. It not like i will be doing any downloading or anything on a device like this...its just to prevent boredom really.

On the flip-side...is there anything spectacular coming out soon that it would be worth holding out for?

Also, what is a USIM?? Sorry for the dumb questions... :oops:

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Xenzo1990

Vario II is rumoured to be on its way. Not so sure how long it will be though but I think all the networks will be pumping out more new win mobiles this year.

Guest Confucious
Also, what is a USIM?? Sorry for the dumb questions... :oops:

A USIM is a SIM that is 3G (UMTS) capable - and 3G makes browsing a realistic option.

Guest Syphon Filter
A USIM is a SIM that is 3G (UMTS) capable - and 3G makes browsing a realistic option.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right ok...makes sense...

next question, which i have touched on before. Is the MDA Pro the only 3G capable device available on T-Mobile?

I am assuming the Vario is not a 3G device.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.