T-Mobile Unlimited GPRS - IT'S OFFICIAL!

Guest PaulOBrien

we need to make an "official" reply or something explaining this new tmob plan as many users, including me, are confused

is this unlimited access really unlimited? or is it a cap of the usual 40MB + any over data usage?

Guest Swampie
I have just emailed T-Mob for clarification. When I got my Exec Orange refused point blank to upgrade my SIM from my existing contract to a USIM and made me take out another contract - another reason I wont be sorry to leave Orange.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Orange's policy regarding 3G is stupid I think.

They will only supply a 3G SIM (even if you offer to pay!) if you do an upgrade to a 3G device via Orange (ie. not supplied from elsewhere - ebay etc). Even worse, if you later upgrade to a 2G phone, they'll give you a standard SIM (not USIM) and force you to register it - this losing the USIM. They will then refuse to supply a USIM again until you upgrade to a NEW 3G phone, even though you already have a 3G phone supplied by Orange!!

You can purchase 3G PAYG SIMS but I believe they don't allow porting in of numbers on them.

Guest wills

So do you reckon it will mean all the current t-mobile users who have web'n'walk will be upgraded to the unlimited package automatically?

For me I have the charmer on a current £13 per month...

cheers

Guest shenson
next question, which i have touched on before. Is the MDA Pro the only 3G capable device available on T-Mobile?

I am assuming the Vario is not a 3G device.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not according to their website no.

Assuming the 2GB FU is right then I may also be looking for a 3G device.

The only one I could see was the N70 which is a bit OTT for my needs: I just need a minimal thing that can do 3G data from a laptop. Though if a smartphone is thrown in with a not too expensive plan I wont complain ;)

I'd also considered going with the SIM only and living with GPRS for a while (much better than the 9k6 data calls I'd had until now) or getting a cheap device on another network and unlocking it.

Guest Fleabag

OK OK guys, calm down! As your resident T-Mobile expert, may I step in. ;)

Yes, the allowance does include 3G.

You do not need a USIM with T-Mobile provided yours is fairly recent (i.e. issued since USIM's became available). A new SIM will cost you £10 from T-Mobile, regardless of the reasons.

Don't bash CS agents, how do you expect them to know on the day of a press release what the ins and outs are?

T-Mobile's current 3G handsets are the N70 and the MDA Pro. They have had others but have now been discontinued. The Vario is NOT 3G.

The new Web-N-Walk is NOT an add on, they are seperate price plans. You will not be able to add the facility to any plan at all, you will need to move to a Web-N-Walk version of either a Relax 12 month plan, or a Flext 18 month plan.

Existing Web-N-Walk customers will need to move to a Flext 18 month plan equivilant.

The fair use policy is as follows - no file sharing, no VOIP, 1 GB limit, no video streaming (e.g. Sling), no audio streaming (e.g. MSN Music, radio stations) plus a couple of other things I will re-check tomorrow (I forget, and only read briefly).

There is also a Web-N-Walk Pro plan being made available, with a 2GB fair use policy limit.

If you add instant e-mail, this has a seperate limit which is not included in the Web-N-Walk limit.

WM 5 instant e-mail... You may see it inside a month. But you may not - T-Mobile is supporting Blackberry in their US court proceedings - they may wait for that to be resolved before making a release.

T-Mobile will not bill you willy nilly upon you exceeding what they deem to be fair use, if you exceed in 2 consecutive months they will contact you and ask you to stop, if you do not they will move you to a limited data plan.

Don't expect a bunch of new WM devices on April 1st, the only one due for launch is the Nokia 6280. The Hermes is far away. I have an incling that the Jamin and SP5 may be on the horizon though.

Please take this all with a pinch of salt. I may be wrong on some technicalities, and as usual all is subject to change.

Any other questions? ;)

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Xenzo1990
Don't expect a bunch of new WM devices on April 1st, the only one due for launch is the Nokia 6280. The Hermes is far away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just how far away are we talking?

Guest Fleabag
Just how far away are we talking?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

June or July, why I don't know. I was playing with a Vario months before it's release. T-Mobile seems to extensively 'test' it's devices. I shall be watching this one closely myself. Looks like a fantastic handset that's going to blow everything else away.

Guest Confucious

@fleabag - yes!

Is a SIM supplied with a Compact II a USIM?

1Gb is plenty but I'm unsure what you mean about

If you add instant e-mail, this has a seperate limit which is not included in the Web-N-Walk limit.

I have my own Exchange server - and intend using my O2Exec -when they provide the MSFP. Will this be included in the 1Mb.

Why a seperate Pro version with a 2Gb limit - I can't see anyone going over 1Gb - what else do you get with the pro version?

Will the 25% discount still be available after 1/4/06?

The Flex 25 together with a 1Gb data limit seems ideal for me - will I be able to get a Compact II and sell it on eBay to pay off my existing Orange contract?

Sorry to bombard you wit questions but you seem o know what you are talking about and t-Mob ssm to be offering a deal which is juat what I want - what's the catch? ;)

Thanks!

Guest Fleabag
@fleabag - yes!

Is a SIM supplied with a Compact II a USIM?

1Gb is plenty but I'm unsure what you mean about

I have my own Exchange server - and intend using my O2Exec -when they provide the MSFP. Will this be included in the 1Mb.

Why a seperate Pro version with a 2Gb limit - I can't see anyone going over 1Gb - what else do you get with the pro version?

Will the 25% discount still be available after 1/4/06?

The Flex 25 together with a 1Gb data limit seems ideal for me - will I be able to get a Compact II and sell it on eBay to pay off my existing Orange contract?

Sorry to bombard you wit questions but you seem o know what you are talking about and t-Mob ssm to be offering a deal which is juat what I want - what's the catch? :(

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, your Compact II sim will be 3G compatible.

Provided you connect to your own exchange server, and not use the T-Mobile Instant Email, it will come from your Web-N-Walk allowance, yes.

I'm not sure as to why a seperate plan with a 2GB limit, I have a feeling it will just be more expensive, and the users exceeding the 1GB limit consistantly will be offered it as an alternative. Information concering this is sketchy at the moment, a lot of 'TBC's.

Yes, you can sell your Compact II on eBay if you like, I just sold a Vario on there. ;)

The 25% off will end of April 1st, but I imagine it will be replaced by another offer. Last Christmas T-Mobile began their '1 month only' deals, which have run until now. BUT, there are a lot of new faces behind the scenes in the company, hence the big changes - so I cannot guarantee this.

There is no catch! ;)

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Fleabag
From what i've heard about the vario it seems to have its fair share of problems. I might hold out for the Hermes then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What problems have you heard of? I'm not familiar with any, care to enlighten me? ;)

Guest Xenzo1990

I heard it had battery issues whereby if the battery ran too low it wouldn't accept a charge. I also heard the miniSD card slot is a little fussy as to which cards it takes. I also heard that it reboots randomly.

Guest Fleabag
I heard it had battery issues whereby if the battery ran too low it wouldn't accept a charge. I also heard the miniSD card slot is a little fussy as to which cards it takes. I also heard that it reboots randomly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's all news to me, but I won't dismiss it. I don't deal with after-sales, faults aren't my forté. ;)

Guest Confucious
There is no catch! ;)

The only thing that's stopped me doing this allready is the fact that T-Mob refused me credit.

I pannicked and checked my credit rating at checkmyfile.com only to find the credit agencies didn't recognise me at my new address - this could have something to do with the fact that I hadn't actually got round to telling my banks, credit cards etc - D'Oh!

As soon as I get this sorted (checkmyfile are very helpful - well worth the money BTW) I will sign up with T-Mob. It seems just what I'm after.

Thanks for the info fleabag - assuming what you say to be true, you've made me a happy man ;)

Guest Xenzo1990
It's all news to me, but I won't dismiss it. I don't deal with after-sales, faults aren't my forté. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh ;) I am up for Orange upgrade in August (long way off :(), and I was thinking about the Vario or now the Hermes (VarioII??) on T-Mobile. But I dont use a keyboard all that much and it seems a little bulky. I think i'll end up heading for an m600.

Guest Confucious

Xenso - not sure about the other issues but the battery issue is the same for any L-Ion battery, not the phones fault.

Guest Fleabag
The only thing that's stopped me doing this allready is the fact that T-Mob refused me credit.

I pannicked and checked my credit rating at checkmyfile.com only to find the credit agencies didn't recognise me at my new address - this could have something to do with the fact that I hadn't actually got round to telling my banks, credit cards etc - D'Oh!

As soon as I get this sorted (checkmyfile are very helpful - well worth the money BTW) I will sign up with T-Mob. It seems just what I'm after.

Thanks for the info fleabag - assuming what you say to be true, you've made me a happy man ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I understand it T-Mobile has the lowest threshold for getting a contract. You might just end up having to pay around £200 of deposits, which you'd get back after 3 or so months of on-time DD payments.

I'm hoping it's all correct, or I'm gonna look like a wally! :(

I'll take a look at checkmyfile.com too - haven't heard of that one before. Although my credit file would probably give me nightmares for weeks.

And you're more than welcome. ;)

Guest Fleabag
Heh ;) I am up for Orange upgrade in August (long way off :(), and I was thinking about the Vario or now the Hermes (VarioII??) on T-Mobile. But I dont use a keyboard all that much and it seems a little bulky. I think i'll end up heading for an m600.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

M600 looks good to me too, but now the data is 'unlimited' I'd much rather a 3G device. I don't want a keyboard which is the only offputting thing about the Vario 2.

On the note of random reboots, just talked to 2 people I know of having one (including one guy I sold my duplicate too) and they have never had an issue with that. Their mini SD's work fine to. ;)

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Xenzo1990
M600 looks good to me too, but now the data is 'unlimited' I'd much rather a 3G device. I don't want a keyboard which is the only offputting thing about the Vario 2.

On the note of random reboots, just talked to 2 people I know of having one (including one guy I sold my duplicate too) and they have never had an issue with that. Their mini SD's work fine to. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not all that bothered about 3g. I don't use mobile internet all that much. Mainly WiFi. GPRS for email and RSS when im out and about. But I normally sync and download all my rss etc before I go out.

I think later this year, we will see some great 3g devices on Orange and T-Mobile.

Guest Syphon Filter
The fair use policy is as follows - no file sharing, no VOIP, 1 GB limit, no video streaming (e.g. Sling), no audio streaming (e.g. MSN Music, radio stations) plus a couple of other things I will re-check tomorrow (I forget, and only read briefly).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right...no file sharing (i assume they mean p2p etc) i can understand...but what if i want to chuck a file up to my server while i am out onsite at work?

No VoIP: how will they tell you are using the data connection for VoIP, its just data packets...same as if you were sending data back and forth from a webpage or server...unless they are looking at the specific structure of the data packets or even whats inside those data packets...doesnt sound appealing to me...but i can understand, they are a phone company...

No audio/video streaming: ok, so connecting to the BBC site and listening to radio 1 over the net is a no go...I dont see why not really, again its just data...but I'll accept that...but what about if you connect to a website and there is a video or some sound embedded in the site? surely that counts as streaming. I am thinking sights like, oh i dont know...say gamespot where there are sometimes the odd video clips you can watch...

It all sounds pretty restrictive, but when you think abotu it, why should it be that way? You have a data usage allowance...lets say for arguments sake 1GB...what you do with that data limit should be up to you...as long as its not illegal.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Interesting, any idea how they intend on enforcing this? Specifically mentioning VoIP is interesting too!

Personally i intend on replacing my trusty KJam with a Vario II in June (when i fully expected it to launch after reading TMob's press release), it looks like a fantastic device on its own however i also intend on making good use of the bluetooth modem functionality on my laptop!

Guest ccsnet
The new Web-N-Walk is NOT an add on, they are seperate price plans. You will not be able to add the facility to any plan at all, you will need to move to a Web-N-Walk version of either a Relax 12 month plan, or a Flext 18 month plan.

Existing Web-N-Walk customers will need to move to a Flext 18 month plan equivilant.

Any other questions? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very quickly ( and thanks in advance ) but if I moved would that be the start of a new 18 month period for me even if its a contact with the same monthly value ?

Cheers

Terran

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Right...no file sharing (i assume they mean p2p etc) i can understand...but what if i want to chuck a file up to my server while i am out onsite at work?

No VoIP: how will they tell you are using the data connection for VoIP, its just data packets...same as if you were sending data back and forth from a webpage or server...unless they are looking at the specific structure of the data packets or even whats inside those data packets...doesnt sound appealing to me...but i can understand, they are a phone company...

No audio/video streaming: ok, so connecting to the BBC site and listening to radio 1 over the net is a no go...I dont see why not really, again its just data...but I'll accept that...but what about if you connect to a website and there is a video or some sound embedded in the site? surely that counts as streaming. I am thinking sights like, oh i dont know...say gamespot where there are sometimes the odd video clips you can watch...

It all sounds pretty restrictive, but when you think abotu it, why should it be that way? You have a data usage allowance...lets say for arguments sake 1GB...what you do with that data limit should be up to you...as long as its not illegal.

Of course, all these services run over different tcp or udp ports, so its quite easy to kill it all by allowing outgoing connections on only ports 80, 110 and 25, web and email. Also - it shouldnt require massive amounts of packet inspection to work out what is being sent!

However i do agree, at the end of the day if you keep in 1GB a month then wheres the problem ;) If they don't have the network capacity they should lower the cap!

Thoughts in no particular order.

1. You people who think you haven't got a 3G/USIM - you probably HAVE but you have to have it in a 3G device AND BE IN 3G COVERAGE to confirm this - around the back of my house dial 0007 and I get a woman --- 2G --- then around the front I get a bloke --- 3G. But only in a 3G phone

2. GPRS speeds (according to spbGPRS) 50Kbs can peak at around 86Kbs

3. no voip p2p, etc. will probably be done by port blocking.

4. I have found it impossible to get a 3G SIM out of Orange - They say yes then send me a 2G - I think they must have some kind of shortage or network issue

5. In my experience of Orange they don't care about anything :-({|= ... All this should worry them --- but it probably wont - they will probably come up with some 50MB limit which they will try and market as unlimited :roll:

6. I do hope T-Mobile have the capacity to cover this - we may find it turns out to be 1GB at 10kbits/s because of the number of users :??:

Edited by kaf

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.