T-Mobile Unlimited GPRS - IT'S OFFICIAL!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shenson
T-Mobile's current 3G handsets are the N70 and the MDA Pro. They have had others but have now been discontinued. The Vario is NOT 3G.

The new Web-N-Walk is NOT an add on, they are seperate price plans. You will not be able to add the facility to any plan at all, you will need to move to a Web-N-Walk version of either a Relax 12 month plan, or a Flext 18 month plan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for clarifying. A few questions...

If it isn't an add on what is this thing some people have been seeing in their T-mobile on line accounts for £7.50? Is that an error then?

From what you're saying there wont be (at least initially) any SIM only or data only versions of this? That would be the best case for me because I almost exclusively use my mobile for internet access and make hardly any calls.

Even without that its seem one hell of a good deal, so I'm not complaining ;)

Is ssh allowed? I use that quite a bit.

Guest thelondonthing
The new Web-N-Walk is NOT an add on, they are seperate price plans. You will not be able to add the facility to any plan at all, you will need to move to a Web-N-Walk version of either a Relax 12 month plan, or a Flext 18 month plan.

Existing Web-N-Walk customers will need to move to a Flext 18 month plan equivilant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This seems to be rather at odds with the first lines of the T-Mobile press release:

Unique open mobile Internet service option for £7.50 a month and now with unlimited browsing and e-mail

Key Features: web’n’walk now available on Relax and Flext tariffs Incredible value £7.50 a month option for unlimited browsing and e-mail web’n’walk handset range to expand in June Multi-million summer ad campaign planned

London, UK – 23rd March 2006: T-Mobile’s open mobile Internet service will soon be available for £7.50 a month as an add-on to the network operator’s successful Relax and Flext tariffs.

T-Mobile CS also said that I would be able to add this on to my new Flext 18 month tariff, and that all I would need to do is call CS directly once the option becomes officially available.

Given that the press release itself states that the new option will be available as an add-on, I don't think we need to worry too much about changing to a new price plan.

Guest FragMeister

The way I understood it by looking at the My Account section is that I would either be able to update from a Relax plan to a web-n-walk plan (with the data built into the plan) OR to add the web-n-walk "add-on" to my existing talk-plan tariff.

Roll on 1st April, and hope we dont all end up looking like fools.

Edited by FragMeister

Guest Confucious

I think what is meant ois that the existing web'n'walk is not an add on so you can't remove it to add the new £7.50 add on - you'd have to change to a relax or flext plan - but quite why anyone would take a relax plan when you get better allowances with flext beats me. At least that's the way I read it.

1Gb with a few restrictions to stop people hogging bandwidth seems a much better option than a lower limit with a few people taking all the bandwidh. But feel free to disagree.

@Fleabag - thanks for the advice on credit but as soon as I get a bank statement addressed to my new address checkmyfile will sort out my credit and I'll re-apply to T-Mob. When the credit agencies can't find any record of me at this address it's understandable that T-Mob wouldn't give me a phone!

Guest pjam001

Also, as far as the 25% discount is concerned, I received this from T-mobile CS.

Thanks for contacting us about our current Flext offers.

I'm happy to hear that you're thinking of joining T-Mobile as a new pay monthly customer.

Our current Flext deals offering 25% line rental discount for life will be available until 30 April.

Please note, this offer is only available if you arrange your new contract via our website, sales department or a T-Mobile retail store.

Hope they are right. Plan to leave Orange toward the end of April.

Guest Fleabag

Syphon: Yes they mean p2p, but you sending a file to a server could be classed as p2p. I'm not sure how they intend to monitor VOIP use, but they will. I don't think streaming the occasional video will get you black balled, I'm thinking they will flag accounts with hours of continuous streaming. What you do with the data unfortunitely will always be up to the network, and not you.

Mono: Not sure how it's enforced, if at any point I am able to explain how, I shall. TMUK now gets the WM handsets very wuickly after TMDE, I think June is realistic. Unfortunitely re the use, the fair use policy will remain as-is.

Ccsnet: You never extend your contract by switching your plan on TMUK, if you are on WNW already you will need to choose a Flext plan and add the WNW bundle... Yes I know I'm changing my tune, I'll come onto that in a mo'.

Shenson: I've been given different info today, the WNW bundles will now replace all internet bundles. You have to be on a 12 month Relax or 18 month Flext in order to qualify for the bundle. It's not available on UFIX, Mix It, PAYG or off peak plans. Effectively though, unless you connected after March 1st, you will need to change plan. On further reading, it seems that the fair use policy also disallows use of your SIM with a laptop or data card. Maybe that is what Web-N-Walk Pro will be..? Not sure about SSH sorry.

London & Frag: As mentioned it does now seem that WNW will work with a bundle, you will have to move off an existing WNW plan to a Flext with a bundle. The old WNW plans will likely be discontinued. It would be worse for you to stay on WNW and add a bundle anyway, just remember if you switch you will lose any new connection promos.

Conf: You are spot on!

pjam: I'd be happy to check for you.

Edited by Fleabag

Guest ccsnet
1Gb with a few restrictions to stop people hogging bandwidth seems a much better option than a lower limit with a few people taking all the bandwidh. But feel free to disagree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, bit that 1gb should be any data you choose - ie streaming audio. I'd love to listen to radio stations I can't get via FM in my car, now it looks like this is a no no.

Terran

Guest Whitey24_7

Just bought my vario from t-mobile and apparently the Unlimited GPRS is not available until 4th April. Sweet phone though man.

Sounds retarded but do you guy have any forums on the Vario , as far as customising it ?

Guest shenson
On further reading, it seems that the fair use policy also disallows use of your SIM with a laptop or data card. Maybe that is what Web-N-Walk Pro will be..? Not sure about SSH sorry.

What about using a laptop with a data enabled phone (not a data card)? In that case the SIM is in the phone but the laptop uses GPRS through the phone via infrared, bluetooth or direct cable connection.

I can't see how that would be monitored since (for example) POP3 email collection via a phone's internal POP3 client and from a laptop would look the same.

Guest Silentwolf
OK OK guys, calm down! As your resident T-Mobile expert, may I step in. ;)

Yes, the allowance does include 3G.

You do not need a USIM with T-Mobile provided yours is fairly recent (i.e. issued since USIM's became available). A new SIM will cost you £10 from T-Mobile, regardless of the reasons.

Don't bash CS agents, how do you expect them to know on the day of a press release what the ins and outs are?

T-Mobile's current 3G handsets are the N70 and the MDA Pro. They have had others but have now been discontinued. The Vario is NOT 3G.

Existing Web-N-Walk customers will need to move to a Flext 18 month plan equivilant.

The fair use policy is as follows - no file sharing, no VOIP, 1 GB limit, no video streaming (e.g. Sling), no audio streaming (e.g. MSN Music, radio stations) plus a couple of other things I will re-check tomorrow (I forget, and only read briefly).

There is also a Web-N-Walk Pro plan being made available, with a 2GB fair use policy limit.

If you add instant e-mail, this has a seperate limit which is not included in the Web-N-Walk limit.

WM 5 instant e-mail... You may see it inside a month. But you may not - T-Mobile is supporting Blackberry in their US court proceedings - they may wait for that to be resolved before making a release.

T-Mobile will not bill you willy nilly upon you exceeding what they deem to be fair use, if you exceed in 2 consecutive months they will contact you and ask you to stop, if you do not they will move you to a limited data plan.

Don't expect a bunch of new WM devices on April 1st, the only one due for launch is the Nokia 6280. The Hermes is far away. I have an incling that the Jamin and SP5 may be on the horizon though.

Please take this all with a pinch of salt. I may be wrong on some technicalities, and as usual all is subject to change.

Any other questions? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So Flegbag Where Do You Work For T-Mobile?

Guest sjmdisney

so bottom line is then-

you will only be able to take out the £7.50 deal if you are currently or going on a flext or a relax tariff

i have cancelled my agreement with 3 last week and think that i should sign up before 1 April to get the 25% off for life before adding the £7.50 package on a MDA Vario after 1 April

anybody agree

SJMDISNEY

Guest sjmdisney

thanks Confucious

I was told last week about then new tariff by staff member in Glasgow so have been trying to find everything out about the deal

I am going to speak to her again tomorrow to get the official line and get a Vario booked fro next Monday 3/4/06

just hope that all that has been said comes to fruition because would love to have mobile internet, especially coming from a Walled Garden

that 3 gave me

SJMDISNEY

Guest Fleabag

Shen: The fair use policy also disallows 'modem access', I'm assuming that covers what you mentioned.

Silent: I work in retention and development.

Sjm: I agree, it's a great deal.

Conf: You won't get the discount on the data, it only covers the price plan.

Guest shadamehr
OK OK guys, calm down! As your resident T-Mobile expert, may I step in. ;)

1) Yes, the allowance does include 3G.

2) You do not need a USIM with T-Mobile provided yours is fairly recent (i.e. issued since USIM's became available). A new SIM will cost you £10 from T-Mobile, regardless of the reasons.

3) Don't bash CS agents, how do you expect them to know on the day of a press release what the ins and outs are?

4) T-Mobile's current 3G handsets are the N70 and the MDA Pro. They have had others but have now been discontinued. The Vario is NOT 3G.

5) The new Web-N-Walk is NOT an add on, they are seperate price plans. You will not be able to add the facility to any plan at all, you will need to move to a Web-N-Walk version of either a Relax 12 month plan, or a Flext 18 month plan.

6) Existing Web-N-Walk customers will need to move to a Flext 18 month plan equivilant.

7) The fair use policy is as follows - no file sharing, no VOIP, 1 GB limit, no video streaming (e.g. Sling), no audio streaming (e.g. MSN Music, radio stations) plus a couple of other things I will re-check tomorrow (I forget, and only read briefly).

8) There is also a Web-N-Walk Pro plan being made available, with a 2GB fair use policy limit.

9) If you add instant e-mail, this has a seperate limit which is not included in the Web-N-Walk limit.

10) WM 5 instant e-mail... You may see it inside a month. But you may not - T-Mobile is supporting Blackberry in their US court proceedings - they may wait for that to be resolved before making a release.

11) T-Mobile will not bill you willy nilly upon you exceeding what they deem to be fair use, if you exceed in 2 consecutive months they will contact you and ask you to stop, if you do not they will move you to a limited data plan.

12) Don't expect a bunch of new WM devices on April 1st, the only one due for launch is the Nokia 6280. The Hermes is far away. I have an incling that the Jamin and SP5 may be on the horizon though.

13) Please take this all with a pinch of salt. I may be wrong on some technicalities, and as usual all is subject to change.

Any other questions? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok mate - my twp pennorths worth...

1) Good news

2) Also good news, cheers T-Mobile

3) Fair point, but worth pointing out, as I indicated elsewhere, that even T-Mobile FRANCHISED independants now have the relevant paperwork in about this, as I was reading it in a dealer's yesterday.

4) Correct.

5) That depends what you mean by "...the new WebnWalk" - as my reading of this, is that it IS an ADD ON option, to either a Flext or a Relax tariff, at a rate of £7.50 a month. Maybe when you do this, your tariff on the system reads as a whole new stand alone entity to other tariffs, but it really IS an add-on. Existing customers, myself included, can even 'ADD' it now already via My T-Mobile page, as an "add-on service".

6) For existing WnW customers this may be correct. For existing Relax or Flext customers, not so - it can be self added as per Point (5).

7) How do they check? Port access etc is all well and good, but if you use your device as a 3G modem linked to a laptop, wouldn't ALL data be indistinguishable then?

8) This has indeed been mentioned on here a fair bit so may have some truth to it. BUT, my Email reply back from T-Mobile, where I pointed out the error of their previous response, and asked them to double and treble check before replying again, says that the £7.50 add on, has a 2GB fair use cap...

9) Meant nothing to me, until I relaised what instant email is - a hosted address offering by T-Mobile themselves, with an exchange email address kind of yes? If so, I see what you mean.

10) Why would we have to wait, if we have our own existing exchange solutions etc - there is nothing more required, or disallowable even, from the T-Mobile end, if we already have Push Email via WM5.0 devices, and our own hosting. It will simply be 'data transfer' as far as T-Mobile is concerned?

11) A VERY fair policy - well done T-Mobile!

12) Just to clarify - are you saying the Nokia 6280 is available from the 1st April?

13) (My own added point). Various users have had responses from T-Mobile confirming that the 25% offer runs out the END of April, not the 1st. Given that lots of us are hanging on for the launch date rather than take it out now, and self add the bundle, are you SURE it's gonna end on that date?

14) Assuming the discount does NOT run out on the 1st, have you had any word, or got any feel for whether the 25% discount would be applied to BOTH elements (tariff and add on bundle)? If so, it's better for us to wait until this deal can be taken out all at once, as long as the discount DOES NOT end on the 1st April

Thanks for your help mate too!

Guest shenson
Shen: The fair use policy also disallows 'modem access', I'm assuming that covers what you mentioned.

I hope that's wrong or there is a version without that because that that is one hell of a restriction. If it effectively restricts you to applications on the phone only I can't see how you could get near 10MB usage let alone 1GB.

That's the "catch" my cynicism expected but which I really hoped wouldn't be there. It would be a show stopper for me since that's what I use GPRS exclusively for and I'll have to stick with Orange after all...

Policing it would be all but impossible though AFAICS.

Edited by shenson

Guest shadamehr
I hope that's wrong or there is a version without that because that that is one hell of a restriction. If it effectively restricts you to applications on the phone only I can't see how you could get near 10MB usage let alone 1GB.

That's the "catch" my cynicism expected but which I really hoped wouldn't be there. It would be a show stopper for me since that's what I use GPRS exclusively for and I'll have to stick with Orange after all...

Policing it would be all but impossible though AFAICS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cannot possibly bring myself to believe this....

Isn't the whole ethos itself for a 1 or 2GB limit, so that you can finally work on a laptop and do some real stuff.

It beggars beleif, and indeed, as shenson says, makes me DEEPLY cynical of the good work T-Mobile seemed to be offering, if this is true...

If so, boo-boo to you T-Mobile...

We'll all jump on your nice new tariffs in droves still, but we'll nevertheless, be highly cynical of your actions, and disapointed by your restrictions.

Guest Confucious

I was using 50-70Mb/ month on my phone when it was free with Orange - I don't want to use my phone as a modem or do P2P or streaming. Just the odd bit of web browsing, using my own exchange server for Push email etc and this offering seems ideal for me.

No matter what T-Mob offer people will always want more. £7.50 for effectivly unlimited data on the phone is SO much better than anyone else it is almost unbelievable - but then so are their flex tarrifs....

Thank you T-Mobile for providing what I, at least, want ;)

Guest Fleabag

Shad: In response to... 3) I know that the bundles (which were actually listed as new plans) only arrived on the intranet yesterday, and were only announced today.

5) As in my other post (I already corrected that), I was wrong about them being plans (even though the intranet still says they are) and they are infact bundles.

7) I'm assuming they're gng to check by usingbthebhandset MAC address, they would be able to identify then, that a PC is being used.

8) I'd hold out on that on, I am fairly sure it will be an alternative plan or bundle.

9 & 10) Instant Email, as you say is T-Mobiles 'Blackberry' style email for non BB devices. If you have your own server you're good to go.

12) It's been delayed over amd over for months now, it's now expected April 1st... But I wouldn't bank on it.

13) I'm not completely sure, there is doubt in my mind! I'll try to find out, but I'm not working until Wednesday.

14) Discount is for plan, not for the bundle.

And you're welcome! I like the avatar... How can I find more of this 'art'. ;)

Shen: It is right I'm afraid, I have the fair use policy in writing. You need to remember this is being touted as unlimited browsing and email, not unlimited bandwidth rape. Provided you're doing nothing restricted by the fair use policy, you'll find your access is effectively going to be unlimited.

Edited by Fleabag

Guest shadamehr
Shad: In response to...

12) It's been delayed over amd over for months now, it's now expected April 1st... But I wouldn't bank on it.

13) I'm not completely sure, there is doubt in my mind! I'll try to find out, but I'm not working until Wednesday.

14) Discount is for plan, not for the bundle.

And you're welcome! I like the avatar... How can I find more of this 'art'. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mmm, in that case, not too much purpose in waiting, and maybe finding the Discount has expired come the 1st April, but still no 6280 to be got, especially if the discount is only to the tariff (Flext) element, as I can take one out now, and add the data add on via My T-Mobile...

Descisions, descisions...

And as for your last point, a mere PM to me will suffice *lol*

Guest Xenzo1990

Presumably T-Mobile hope to bring in people onto their tarriffs who have no read the fair use policy or presume that it isn't as restrictive. Then they get informed they have broken the fair use policy. Oh wait, their in a contract.. Keep paying.

Guest shenson
Shen: It is right I'm afraid, I have the fair use policy in writing. You need to remember this is being touted as unlimited browsing and email, not unlimited bandwidth rape. Provided you're doing nothing restricted by the fair use policy, you'll find your access is effectively going to be unlimited.

Well speaking personally I use a laptop for several reasons not related to bandwidth. If I can live (albeit painfully) with 9k6 dialup I can't be using that much ;)

I find it much more convenient composing emails and web browsing with a full size keyboard and screen.

There are also some other things ssh related which can't be done without making use of various programs on the laptop. None transfer huge amounts of data.

If this new plan/bundle is going to replace all the existing GPRS bundles (which presumably don't restrict laptop use) then presumably something will be needed to permit it.

If the "Pro" version isn't much more expensive and allows laptop use I'll go for that instead.

EDIT:

Looking at mobiholics there is a mention of the "Pro" version for "Laptops and PDAs" which is quoted as £8.50 a month and with higher upload bandwidth.

Can anyone confirm/correct that?

Edited by shenson

Guest Syphon Filter

Not being able to use the connection as a modem is kind of annoying...but i guess its not the end of the world really...I mainly want it for killing time and browsing the odd forum or whatever when out and about...but it would be nice if you could use it linked to a laptop...the number of times i have been out on a client site and not had net access and only needed to get something off our office server or download a patch etc. This could be a life saver...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.